2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sunny1211

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Happy88 wrote:How many characters did everyone type? Trying to figure out if I wrote too little.
Mine was probably the lowest and the shittiest, haha 5000 characters. That PT was fact finding/transcript mind fuck!

But all essays were around 7000 characters

splitcity

New

Post by splitcity » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 pm

I tried to get cute and said brought up a statement against societal interest exception for hearsay. The societal interest is not wanting to admit that your girlfriend beat you up.

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 pm

SP is any property acquired before marriage, including any profits, rents thereof.

Pension was for employment before marriage, so the employment pension from the Accounting firm is SP and the payments from that plan is also SP as they are "rents, issue, profits" stemming from the SP pension plan.

SP character doesnt change

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Sunny1211 wrote:
Underoath wrote:
Sunny1211 wrote:So what ever happened to Cross overs? haha damn these tricky bastards!
Everyone SWORE it was going to be crossovers. So annoying. I wanted Civ Pro so bad too.

I spent so much time memorizing Agency/Corps and CivPro
LMAO! I'm laughing because you literally have NO idea how much time I devoted to memorizing the EXACT same thing. So ridiculous.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 am

So I'm increasingly asking myself. How bad does it have to be to get a 55? I can recover from like 1 55 and the rest 60s I think with MBE.

I missed a bunch of shit in Con law, and a decent chunk in Evidence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 am

Auxilio wrote:So I'm increasingly asking myself. How bad does it have to be to get a 55? I can recover from like 1 55 and the rest 60s I think with MBE.

I missed a bunch of shit in Con law, and a decent chunk in Evidence.
I hate coming on these forums. I think I do well and then see a bunch of stuff I miss. I absolutely crushed PR and CP today, but sometimes they don't grade fairly. One time I got a 70 on CP and another grader gave me a 60 on the reread. So, who knows.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 am

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/eviden ... s-not.html

^^ example of *actual* double hearsay in 911 calls. X told Y something, Y called 911 and relayed the info. This is double hearsay.

slowned

New

Post by slowned » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:03 am

I'm pretty sure I've seen a ton of passing answers with completely incorrect conclusions because of an incorrect element in an earlier rule. It happens all the time.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:04 am

slowned wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen a ton of passing answers with completely incorrect conclusions because of an incorrect element in an earlier rule. It happens all the time.
Thanks, that made me feel better. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 am

Atmosphere wrote:All of you who extolled the advantages of taking the PT first are fucking angels and I could kiss you :lol:
Boss move. So much nicer being able to finish the PT, and bank as many as those 2 per 1 points, without being up against the gun. I was rushed on one of the regular essays when I took, but those are much easier to BS and wrap up without losing your mind to anxiety when you hear the 5 minute warning. Hope you killed it!

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 am

My essays did not exceed 2800 characters except for the PT it was around 3700. Is that fine? Ugh I’m worried now.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:21 am

How did you guys format your PT? I just took the two headings they gave us and wrote my answer under each lmao...oh and j put a small heading.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 am

estefanchanning wrote:How did you guys format your PT? I just took the two headings they gave us and wrote my answer under each lmao...oh and j put a small heading.
I basically took their headings and then put because... After it to make it argumentative. Then a few smaller headings under then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:27 pm

a male human wrote:
itsyerboythundercat wrote:
a male human wrote:
itsyerboythundercat wrote:can someone give a ballpark in re: to what %age would be passing on MBE and what scores would be needed for essays/ PT? just ball park is fine..i know ever exam / session is different . thanks folks!
You can try plugging in different numbers here: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

Generally, raw scores of 60-65 on each essay and PT and 65% correct on MBE would put you on track to pass.
thanks! appreciate your insight throughout these past few weeks/ months . magic sheets have been a tremendous resource.
Awesome, glad to have been a resource for you. Best of luck.
Realized that you are the creator of the calculator (thanks!). Wanted to know how you came about the 128 MBE for attorney’s exam applicants (me). It seems like this then requires lower essay scores (60 v 65), which would mean easier to pass, even with the subjectivity. But the pass rate thus far doesn’t really show that. Just wondering as I’m going nuts on myself post-exam.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 pm

JakeTappers wrote:
a male human wrote:
a male human wrote:
itsyerboythundercat wrote:can someone give a ballpark in re: to what %age would be passing on MBE and what scores would be needed for essays/ PT? just ball park is fine..i know ever exam / session is different . thanks folks!
You can try plugging in different numbers here: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

Generally, raw scores of 60-65 on each essay and PT and 65% correct on MBE would put you on track to pass.
thanks! appreciate your insight throughout these past few weeks/ months . magic sheets have been a tremendous resource.
Realized that you are the creator of the calculator (thanks!). Wanted to know how you came about the 128 MBE for attorney’s exam applicants (me). It seems like this then requires lower essay scores (60 v 65), which would mean easier to pass, even with the subjectivity. But the pass rate thus far doesn’t really show that. Just wondering as I’m going nuts on myself post-exam.
Sorry to say I'm not the creator of the calculator.

I don't know about the 128 score used. I'm guessing it puts one on track for 1440 scaled MBE score? Historically speaking, you need an average raw written score of 62.5 or so to be on track to 1440 scaled written score (meaning you'd pass if your scaled MBE score was also on par). You can use that as a guideline as you estimate various combinations of your essay scores in paranoia over the next 4 months.

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:00 pm

a male human wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:
a male human wrote:
a male human wrote:

I don't know about the 128 score used. I'm guessing it puts one on track for 1440 scaled MBE score? Historically speaking, you need an average raw written score of 62.5 or so to be on track to 1440 scaled written score (meaning you'd pass if your scaled MBE score was also on par). You can use that as a guideline as you estimate various combinations of your essay scores in paranoia over the next 4 months.
I wouldnt rely on the calculator.
If I input my scores for the July 2017 Atty exam plus the 128 for MBE it has me passing by 6 points, whereas I actually failed by like 50.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Well shit. What were those scores, roughly? Not that I can even tell what I will get.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Can anyone verify whether results will be punished online Nov. 1st? I thought I heard the proctor tell us that the Nov. 16th date is when we’ll receive mailed results. Hope everyone is at peace with the test, glad this is done with. Probably going to go dark until the results are posted, best of luck to all!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 pm

MBernard wrote:Can anyone verify whether results will be punished online Nov. 1st? I thought I heard the proctor tell us that the Nov. 16th date is when we’ll receive mailed results. Hope everyone is at peace with the test, glad this is done with. Probably going to go dark until the results are posted, best of luck to all!
Results are *mailed* on November 16th. ANd at 6pm PST on November 16th the pass list is published

cadreamer

New

Post by cadreamer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 pm

mimim8 wrote:
a male human wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:
a male human wrote:
a male human wrote:

I wouldnt rely on the calculator.
If I input my scores for the July 2017 Atty exam plus the 128 for MBE it has me passing by 6 points, whereas I actually failed by like 50.
this calculator is a little more accurate I think: https://ubeessays.com/california-score-calculator/

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Future test takers - Oakland was soooooo chill

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

slowned

New

Post by slowned » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Anyone else feel like the 2nd half of the MBE was much harder?

diatribe

New

Post by diatribe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 pm

slowned wrote:Anyone else feel like the 2nd half of the MBE was much harder?
second half destroyed me. I had a false high after the AM session

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:33 pm

cadreamer wrote: this calculator is a little more accurate I think: https://ubeessays.com/california-score-calculator/
But what do I put in for MBE if I took attorneys exam? Or is this just straight up impossible? I can't believe they don't explain how this is scored simply.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Auxilio wrote:
MBernard wrote:Can anyone verify whether results will be punished online Nov. 1st? I thought I heard the proctor tell us that the Nov. 16th date is when we’ll receive mailed results. Hope everyone is at peace with the test, glad this is done with. Probably going to go dark until the results are posted, best of luck to all!
Results are *mailed* on November 16th. ANd at 6pm PST on November 16th the pass list is published
Thanks man!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”