2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
psg190

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by psg190 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:38 am

lexingtonhr wrote:
psg190 wrote:
Blueplanet wrote:Hi Can those of you that retook the exam and passed comment on whether you used a review programme such as Kaplan, Barbri etc second time round?

I had a pass the bar or your money back guarantee on my course and I am considering getting my money back and doing without the course 2nd time round. I have the material, I have access to Barmax MBE and therefore feel the only thing I will not have is access to the graders. However, having done it once I feel I should be able to improve my essay scores as I have more time to go over the material.

Let me know whether you used a review programme second time round. Thanks
I paid for a $6,000 private tutor on the first pass and failed. I paid for BARBRI on the second go around ($1,500 on the retaker discount) and passed. I will note that I felt much more comfortable with the BARBRI preparation; however, there were certainly some approaches the tutor taught on the first go around that were helpful in terms of essay / PT writing on the July 2018 exam.
Who was your tutor?
Jay Bijlani

crcsmv

New

Post by crcsmv » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:19 am

psg190 wrote:
crcsmv wrote:
psg190 wrote:
Blueplanet wrote:Hi Can those of you that retook the exam and passed comment on whether you used a review programme such as Kaplan, Barbri etc second time round?

I had a pass the bar or your money back guarantee on my course and I am considering getting my money back and doing without the course 2nd time round. I have the material, I have access to Barmax MBE and therefore feel the only thing I will not have is access to the graders. However, having done it once I feel I should be able to improve my essay scores as I have more time to go over the material.

I paid for a $6,000 private tutor on the first pass and failed. I paid for BARBRI on the second go around ($1,500 on the retaker discount) and passed. I will note that I felt much more comfortable with the BARBRI preparation; however, there were certainly some approaches the tutor taught on the first go around that were helpful in terms of essay / PT writing on the July 2018 exam.
I failed the July 2018 bar and now I will be taking the Feb 2019 bar. I used Barbri and was 100% committed and completed the entire program, but their approach with videos did not work for me at all. I'm going to hire a tutor by the end of this week. What private tutor did you use and why do you think they did not work for you? It's just so much money (average $6k after researching) to spend and I want to make sure I choose the right tutor.
Jay Bijlani - he didn't work for me because I was five years removed from law school when I started to study for the test. I needed to relearn the law, and his methods of learning through osmosis weren't sufficient given the significant period of time that had elapsed since my law school days. I'll also add that he does nothing to aid on the MBE outside of reviewing your mid-prep Adaptibar scores.
Ugh I have a consultation with him later today! MBE was my weaker area too, but my essays could use some improvement too and cover my ass for my lower MBE scores. I have a few other phone calls with other tutors, we shall see who I choose!lol.

Electricella

New

Post by Electricella » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:29 am

Congrats, colleague!!! I knew you made it!!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
MBernard wrote:PASSED! So grateful, felt like my heart was going to explode. Huge congrats to those who nailed it! To those who didn't, you will pass next! This test is beatable. I was abominable law school student and just passed two back to back exams for completely different jurisdictions (TX and CA). I'll definitely be active in the Ca bar exam thread as I am with the Texas thread. God Bless, best to everyone. I'll still be around!

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 am

crcsmv wrote:
psg190 wrote:

I failed the July 2018 bar and now I will be taking the Feb 2019 bar. I used Barbri and was 100% committed and completed the entire program, but their approach with videos did not work for me at all. I'm going to hire a tutor by the end of this week. What private tutor did you use and why do you think they did not work for you? It's just so much money (average $6k after researching) to spend and I want to make sure I choose the right tutor.
If you struggled with the written, look into Jay Chavkin at Personal Bar Prep. You can negotiate on price and it will be considerably less than 6K. No videos, just lots of practice and personal feedback. You can get personal feedback on at least 6 and maybe as many as 8 essays per week.

It's not a slick program, and you may find yourself in an old church in a grubby part of L.A. wondering WTF you've gotten yourself into, but it's a no bullshit approach that greatly and effectively simplifies the written portion and gives you some really good insight into how to write the PT.*

Anyway, there is some decent MBE help, but the program is almost all about the written portion of the exam.

*For the PT, I'd highly recommend reading the structure of the model answers the bar posts. That may have been the single biggest thing that helped me write what I think was a kickass PT.

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 pm

psg190 wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:
psg190 wrote:

Who was your tutor?
Jay Bijlani
I contacted him, but he hasn't reached out yet. His course might be filled up. He charges $6k? Wow..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crcsmv

New

Post by crcsmv » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:42 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:
psg190 wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:
psg190 wrote:

Who was your tutor?
Jay Bijlani
I contacted him, but he hasn't reached out yet. His course might be filled up. He charges $6k? Wow..
I contacted him through his website, email him again. He replied to me in a few hours. Is anyone familiar with BarMD? Have a phone call scheduled later today.

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:50 pm

crcsmv wrote:
psg190 wrote:
crcsmv wrote:
psg190 wrote:

Jay Bijlani - he didn't work for me because I was five years removed from law school when I started to study for the test. I needed to relearn the law, and his methods of learning through osmosis weren't sufficient given the significant period of time that had elapsed since my law school days. I'll also add that he does nothing to aid on the MBE outside of reviewing your mid-prep Adaptibar scores.
Ugh I have a consultation with him later today! MBE was my weaker area too, but my essays could use some improvement too and cover my ass for my lower MBE scores. I have a few other phone calls with other tutors, we shall see who I choose!lol.
I also got a low MBE score, but a moderate writing score... I have been researching and interviewing tutors... It's been a process.

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:24 pm

The person above spent $6k on a tutor and still failed. That's outrageous. You do not need to spend that kind of money to pass the exam. After I failed, I hunkered down through rigid discipline and spent less than $500 on materials to help me pass. Read what this person did to pass on his sixth time with only the strategies tactics book/BarEssays/conviser - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298888

There is no "magic" that an expensive course or a tutor will give you (despite what they want you to believe) and there is no substitute for spending time on your own through self analysis and practice. Get solid study aids, make a study calendar, and adhere to it 100%.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:30 pm

crcsmv wrote:
psg190 wrote:
crcsmv wrote:
psg190 wrote:

I was considering him too because he was a former grader, and I primarily needed essay help, not MBE help. I don't know $6000 is a lot of money if you primarily need MBE help, IMHO.

I was definitely willing to pay that for the essay help from a former bar grader, but he filled up pretty fast and I found a former bar grader who was less expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:15 pm

barjamie8 wrote:The person above spent $6k on a tutor and still failed. That's outrageous. You do not need to spend that kind of money to pass the exam. After I failed, I hunkered down through rigid discipline and spent less than $500 on materials to help me pass. Read what this person did to pass on his sixth time with only the strategies tactics book/BarEssays/conviser - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298888

There is no "magic" that an expensive course or a tutor will give you (despite what they want you to believe) and there is no substitute for spending time on your own through self analysis and practice. Get solid study aids, make a study calendar, and adhere to it 100%.
I tend to agree with you. The work must be done on your own, hour by hour, day by day. It takes discipline. However, I was one of those people who just didn't get what they wanted to see from me on the essays. To my eye, my essays looked solid enough, but I just couldn't figure out what the hell was so wrong. It didn't take a much for someone with some insight to look at my stuff and basically say, "Okay, this part is good, but you're going wrong here, here, and here. So instead of doing it X way, do it Y way." That, and consistent, scheduled review rather than, "Fuck, I haven't done a con law essay in two months. I hope I have time to look at that stuff again before the exam."

Being too deep in the forest to see the trees is a real thing.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Electricella wrote:Congrats, colleague!!! I knew you made it!!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
MBernard wrote:PASSED! So grateful, felt like my heart was going to explode. Huge congrats to those who nailed it! To those who didn't, you will pass next! This test is beatable. I was abominable law school student and just passed two back to back exams for completely different jurisdictions (TX and CA). I'll definitely be active in the Ca bar exam thread as I am with the Texas thread. God Bless, best to everyone. I'll still be around!
Hey. Thanks, Electricella! Much appreciated. Hope you enjoy practicing in TX!

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
barjamie8 wrote:The person above spent $6k on a tutor and still failed. That's outrageous. You do not need to spend that kind of money to pass the exam. After I failed, I hunkered down through rigid discipline and spent less than $500 on materials to help me pass. Read what this person did to pass on his sixth time with only the strategies tactics book/BarEssays/conviser - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298888

I tend to agree with you. The work must be done on your own, hour by hour, day by day. It takes discipline. However, I was one of those people who just didn't get what they wanted to see from me on the essays. To my eye, my essays looked solid enough, but I just couldn't figure out what the hell was so wrong. It didn't take a much for someone with some insight to look at my stuff and basically say, "Okay, this part is good, but you're going wrong here, here, and here. So instead of doing it X way, do it Y way." That, and consistent, scheduled review rather than, "Fuck, I haven't done a con law essay in two months. I hope I have time to look at that stuff again before the exam."

I had the same issue. The essays were my downfall. But taking a LOT of time to look through real examples that scored 55, 65, 75 and comparing them to my own was instrumental in figuring out what I was doing right and wrong and what the graders were looking for. Eventually I just got it. A 6k tutor wouldn't have done that for me.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 pm

barjamie8 wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

I had the same issue. The essays were my downfall. But taking a LOT of time to look through real examples that scored 55, 65, 75 and comparing them to my own was instrumental in figuring out what I was doing right and wrong and what the graders were looking for. Eventually I just got it. A 6k tutor wouldn't have done that for me.
I didn't pay 6k, but having a former bar grader read my essays and give me feedback was very important and made a big impact. Getting feedback about not only what I had to put in but what I could leave out from someone who had graded the exam before was very helpful for me, personally.

However, my risk/reward may have been a little different since I took it when the written portion was worth 65%

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ramonlivliv

New

Post by Ramonlivliv » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:55 am

I failed July 2017, got a 1313, took Kaplan. Took the UBE with Kaplan and passed in all jurisdictions. Took July 2018 California Bar and passed with Kaplan again. Only difference between the first two bar exams and the last one is that I used AdaptiBar. I would do real MBE questions. It just gets you in the right mode. Also, the last time, I just used Kaplan for some materials and grading essays. One difference between the MBE and California is that California wants your essays to be like law school essays. I feel like it’s a knowledge dump. California wants you to touch on everything, even if it’s just for a second and say why it does or doesn’t
Apply. For the MBe, if it doesn’t apply don’t talk about it. Anyways, I took the sample Kaplan essays and copy and pasted their ways to describe everything and just memorized everything. I had my girlfriend ask me for hours shit like “tell me everything you can about X remedy” etc. Talking it out really helped. I’m as obtuse and crass as they come, you can definitely pass! You even have time to look at your cellphone and text. Just be wise about it.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 am

Ramonlivliv wrote:I failed July 2017, got a 1313, took Kaplan. Took the UBE with Kaplan and passed in all jurisdictions. Took July 2018 California Bar and passed with Kaplan again. Only difference between the first two bar exams and the last one is that I used AdaptiBar. I would do real MBE questions. It just gets you in the right mode. Also, the last time, I just used Kaplan for some materials and grading essays. One difference between the MBE and California is that California wants your essays to be like law school essays. I feel like it’s a knowledge dump. California wants you to touch on everything, even if it’s just for a second and say why it does or doesn’t
Apply. For the MBe, if it doesn’t apply don’t talk about it. Anyways, I took the sample Kaplan essays and copy and pasted their ways to describe everything and just memorized everything. I had my girlfriend ask me for hours shit like “tell me everything you can about X remedy” etc. Talking it out really helped. I’m as obtuse and crass as they come, you can definitely pass! You even have time to look at your cellphone and text. Just be wise about it.

Wait what?

:shock:

cabartaker92

New

Post by cabartaker92 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:28 am

Auxilio wrote:
cabartaker92 wrote:
catechumen wrote:I have failed the CA exam 8 times. Scores always arrive on Monday regardless of where I live. Today, nothing. I always wait for the letter so I can see scores if I failed. Has anyone who passed received their letter in the mail yet? And if so where do you live approximately. Heard about a guy in So Cal that got a pass letter today. Trying to figure out if they send out passing letters separate from failing letters. Thanks!
Yes, I received my passing letter Monday. I live in SoCal.
If you have completed all the other stuff (C&F, MPRE, etc.) did your passing letter include the oath card et al as well? Or just telling you you passed.
Yes, I received my oath card along with a bunch of other information.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:43 am

barjamie8 wrote:I had the same issue. The essays were my downfall. But taking a LOT of time to look through real examples that scored 55, 65, 75 and comparing them to my own was instrumental in figuring out what I was doing right and wrong and what the graders were looking for. Eventually I just got it. A 6k tutor wouldn't have done that for me.
One should never spend that much money on a tutor. It''s highway robbery. I even ran into someone who wanted NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS for her course. Sure, I guess the market will bear whatever someone is willing to pay, but taking advantage of desperate students is just wrong.

Anyway, some people will not "just get it." I didn't, and I'm a published writer and have edited unpublishable material into material that got published. I also write damn good trial briefs/P&A's for attorneys that are instrumental in winning at trial. However, my writing background may have worked against me because the bar exam is it's own little universe, applicable to little else. IOW, I think I thought more or less that since I've been successful writing in A, B, and C ways, I should be successful here too. But nope.

So I did need someone who could look at my essays and effectively communicate to me what it was I needed to do. Fortunately, I got that for considerably less than 6K.

For 6K, someone better be offering the entire course as many times as one needs to take it in order to pass. Hell, with Barbri you get a free re-do and they're what, about $3500-$4000?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:59 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
barjamie8 wrote:I had the same issue. The essays were my downfall. But taking a LOT of time to look through real examples that scored 55, 65, 75 and comparing them to my own was instrumental in figuring out what I was doing right and wrong and what the graders were looking for. Eventually I just got it. A 6k tutor wouldn't have done that for me.
One should never spend that much money on a tutor. It''s highway robbery. I even ran into someone who wanted NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS for her course. Sure, I guess the market will bear whatever someone is willing to pay, but taking advantage of desperate students is just wrong.

Anyway, some people will not "just get it." I didn't, and I'm a published writer and have edited unpublishable material into material that got published. I also write damn good trial briefs/P&A's for attorneys that are instrumental in winning at trial. However, my writing background may have worked against me because the bar exam is it's own little universe, applicable to little else. IOW, I think I thought more or less that since I've been successful writing in A, B, and C ways, I should be successful here too. But nope.

So I did need someone who could look at my essays and effectively communicate to me what it was I needed to do. Fortunately, I got that for considerably less than 6K.

For 6K, someone better be offering the entire course as many times as one needs to take it in order to pass. Hell, with Barbri you get a free re-do and they're what, about $3500-$4000?
Idk if the 9k tutor is taking advantage of anyone. Her rate is her rate. The market has other options--if someone doesn't want to pay 9k they can go to a hundred other tutors.

By that logic, that's like saying a burger with gold flakes on it selling for 2k is "taking advantage of desperately hungry people"

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:31 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Ramonlivliv wrote: You even have time to look at your cellphone and text. Just be wise about it.

Wait what?

:shock:
Yeah, nobody should ever do that. Everyone misses something on the exam, better just to move on.

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:32 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

Idk if the 9k tutor is taking advantage of anyone. Her rate is her rate. The market has other options--if someone doesn't want to pay 9k they can go to a hundred other tutors.

By that logic, that's like saying a burger with gold flakes on it selling for 2k is "taking advantage of desperately hungry people"
It's definitely taking advantage of students. Her rate is her rate precisely because she knows there are desperate law students willing to spend way more than they should.

It's like predatory law schools charging absurd rates for attendance when they know the service provided isn't nearly worth the cost. Did the students who attend these law schools have other options? Sure. Does the market demand allow for those law schools to charge those prices? Sure. Does any of that make those law schools blameless for preying on desperate folks who don't know any better? Hell no

brorepresentation1

New

Post by brorepresentation1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 am

I passed this July! I mentioned this earlier in the forum but I would like to mention it again. I used a smaller program called One-Timers that offers super personalized grading and feedback. I did not have the money to hire a tutor but I found this program extremely effective. You can call the graders and ask questions along with the course instructors at any time. This was great because I had many questions while studying and there was always someone who could provide me with guidance. I took a major course before and failed miserably. One-Timers was totally different, more personalized, had actual classes and I found it extremely effective. I am not affiliated with them in any way and not paid by them. I'm grateful for finding such an awesome program. I'd be happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested regarding One-Timers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 am

AspiringAspirant wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

It's definitely taking advantage of students. Her rate is her rate precisely because she knows there are desperate law students willing to spend way more than they should.

It's like predatory law schools charging absurd rates for attendance when they know the service provided isn't nearly worth the cost. Did the students who attend these law schools have other options? Sure. Does the market demand allow for those law schools to charge those prices? Sure. Does any of that make those law schools blameless for preying on desperate folks who don't know any better? Hell no
I think you're both right. People become very desperate when it comes to the CBX, so is she taking advantage charging 9k for her program? Probably.

But at the same time, everyone is an adult, and I assume people have done some reasonable level of research before hiring her for 9k. If they haven't, they really should. She should have a sterling success rate. Though I wouldn't even pay 9k for someone to clone a smarter version of me to take the exam.

Honestly though, I still find it hard to believe that anyone is getting someone to nearly pay them 10k. That's bananas.

Cherry805

New

Post by Cherry805 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:36 am

brorepresentation1 wrote:I passed this July! I mentioned this earlier in the forum but I would like to mention it again. I used a smaller program called One-Timers that offers super personalized grading and feedback. I did not have the money to hire a tutor but I found this program extremely effective. You can call the graders and ask questions along with the course instructors at any time. This was great because I had many questions while studying and there was always someone who could provide me with guidance. I took a major course before and failed miserably. One-Timers was totally different, more personalized, had actual classes and I found it extremely effective. I am not affiliated with them in any way and not paid by them. I'm grateful for finding such an awesome program. I'd be happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested regarding One-Timers.
Can you elaborate on what your study schedule was like?

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:45 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
AspiringAspirant wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:

I think you're both right. People become very desperate when it comes to the CBX, so is she taking advantage charging 9k for her program? Probably.

But at the same time, everyone is an adult, and I assume people have done some reasonable level of research before hiring her for 9k. If they haven't, they really should. She should have a sterling success rate. Though I wouldn't even pay 9k for someone to clone a smarter version of me to take the exam.

Honestly though, I still find it hard to believe that anyone is getting someone to nearly pay them 10k. That's bananas.
Considering the many thousands people who fail the California bar exam every year, all she has to do is find 20 people who attach value to a price tag, and she's making pretty damn good money. That is, some people will think a thing is more valuable if it's expensive.

It's the story of Tag Heuer watches. When the watch was first put on the market, the company was trying to compete in the lower end range of watches, but they weren't selling. So they hired a marketing firm that told them to leave the product as is, but charge three or four times as much. That's when Tag Heuer really took off. People weren't willing to buy it for $200, but at $600-$800, they were.

So that's what this lady does. I don't know what her success rate is, but if it's higher than average, some of that may come from confidence alone. "If I'm paying this much for this service, it must be good!" But there's also the factor of perception. If you think you got a good deal, then you got a good deal.

To each their own I guess, but I felt like I got sleaze on me just talking to her over the phone.

brorepresentation1

New

Post by brorepresentation1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 am

Cherry805 wrote:
brorepresentation1 wrote:I passed this July! I mentioned this earlier in the forum but I would like to mention it again. I used a smaller program called One-Timers that offers super personalized grading and feedback. I did not have the money to hire a tutor but I found this program extremely effective. You can call the graders and ask questions along with the course instructors at any time. This was great because I had many questions while studying and there was always someone who could provide me with guidance. I took a major course before and failed miserably. One-Timers was totally different, more personalized, had actual classes and I found it extremely effective. I am not affiliated with them in any way and not paid by them. I'm grateful for finding such an awesome program. I'd be happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested regarding One-Timers.
Can you elaborate on what your study schedule was like?
Sure, I'd be more than happy to. "One-Timers" was a 2 month program. I studied monday-saturday, 8 am to 6 pm. However, there's also a schedule for those who work. In my case, I would do a minimum of 50 MBE questions through One Timer's program. I would read the explanations for both the MBE's I got correct and incorrect. I would do a minimum of 2 essays a day. Also, every Saturday was a physical class for that particular subject. You could either attend in person or stream it. The class would consist of a break down of the subject, helpful tips, commonly tested fact patterns and common mistakes to avoid. You can ask questions in class which is cool. One-Timers was very straight-forward and very effective. One Timers stressed application over memorization. Honestly, I was not the best law student. I needed a program to break the test down in a easy to understand way. One Timers did just that. Again, I don't work for them in any way ... just a grateful student who passed the CA Bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”