2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JakeTappers

Bronze

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by JakeTappers » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 pm

So if it says does not match information with pass list, I failed?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Today the State Bar of California released the results of the July 2018 California Bar Exam, and announced that 3,284 people (40.7 percent of applicants) passed the General Bar Exam. The pass rate for first-time applicants was 55 percent. If those applicants satisfy all other requirements for admission, they will be eligible to be licensed by the State Bar to practice law in California. The mean scaled Multistate Bar Examination score on the July 2018 Bar Exam in California was 1404 compared with the national average of 1395.

The latest results mirror a national downward trend in scores from the July 2018 bar exams.

The National Conference of Bar Examiners reported that the pass rate for the Multistate Bar Examination fell to a 34-year low in 2018.
The pass rate in Texas fell over 7 percentage points from July 2017 to July 2018.
The New York state pass rate fell by 5 percentage points from July 2017 to July 2018.
The California pass rate fell by 8.9 percentage points from July 2017 to July 2018.
"I want to congratulate the thousands of applicants who passed the July 2018 California Bar Exam. We’re also troubled by a low pass rate, and are working to better understand the reasons behind this national trend," said Leah T. Wilson, Executive Director of the State Bar of California. "Over the last 18 months we have conducted four distinct studies on the California Bar Exam designed to determine if the passing score is appropriate and the content valid. While these studies did not suggest that changes to either should be made at this time, the State Bar takes seriously its commitment to ensuring integrity and fairness in the admissions process. We have just launched a California attorney job Analysis Study to collect information about the knowledge and skills that entry level attorneys need. This job analysis will form the basis of a new review of the exam itself to ensure that the Bar Exam is relevant and actually testing what’s needed."

The first meeting of the working group for the Job Analysis Study will be held on December 10, 2018, at the State Bar’s San Francisco office. The study is currently expected to be published in December 2019.

The State Bar is also looking forward to the evaluation of the Productive Mindset Study, which may assist the State Bar and California law schools in developing mechanisms to help students better position themselves for success on the Bar Exam.

Preliminary statistical analyses from the July 2018 General Bar Exam:

8,071 applicants completed the exam
5,132 (63.6 percent) were first-time applicants
The passing rate for first-time applicants was 55.0 percent overall
2,939 were repeat applicants
The passing rate for repeat applicants was 16.0 percent overall
Pass rate (rounded to whole numbers) by law school type:

School Type

First-Timers

Repeaters

California ABA

64%

22%

Out-of-State ABA

58%

12%

California Accredited (but not ABA)

16%

9%

Unaccredited: Fixed-Facility

12%

6%

Unaccredited: Correspondence

11%

8%

Unaccredited Distance Learning

23%

10%

All Others

31%

16%

All Applicants

55%

16%

The General Bar Exam is administered in February and July each year.

The exam consists of three sections: a multiple-choice Multistate Bar Examination, five essay questions and one performance test that are designed to assess an applicant’s ability to apply legal knowledge to practical tests. The written portion of the exam (essay and performance test questions) and the multiple choice portion were weighted equally.

The Attorneys’ Examination consists of the essay and performance test sections of the General Bar Exam and is open to attorneys who have been admitted to the active practice of law and are in good standing for at least four years in another U.S. jurisdiction.

Of the 522 attorneys who completed the Attorneys’ Examination, 169 (32.4 percent) passed.

Following the initial results release, a pass list from the exam will be published on the State Bar’s website on November 18 at 6:00 a.m. More detailed statistics about examination results will be available in approximately 4-6 weeks on the State Bar website.

Successful applicants who satisfy all other requirements for admission may take the Attorney’s Oath individually or participate in admissions ceremonies held throughout the state in December 2018.

After applicants have taken the Attorney Oath and submitted their oath card to the State Bar, they are eligible to practice law in California. Approximately two weeks after forwarding the oath card to the State Bar, their names will appear on the State Bar roll of licensed of attorneys accessible on the State Bar website.

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 pm

oh my god I passed! I knew walking out after day 2 I failed

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 pm

JakeTappers wrote:So if it says does not match information with pass list, I failed?
Correct, unless you entered the wrong info. Sorry, if true.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 pm

PASSED! So grateful, felt like my heart was going to explode. Huge congrats to those who nailed it! To those who didn't, you will pass next! This test is beatable. I was abominable law school student and just passed two back to back exams for completely different jurisdictions (TX and CA). I'll definitely be active in the Ca bar exam thread as I am with the Texas thread. God Bless, best to everyone. I'll still be around!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:11 pm

I passed!!!

I can't believe only 40% pass rate. That's almost a 20% cut from the normal July results

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:14 pm

MBernard wrote:PASSED! So grateful, felt like my heart was going to explode. Huge congrats to those who nailed it! To those who didn't, you will pass next! This test is beatable. I was abominable law school student and just passed two back to back exams for completely different jurisdictions (TX and CA). I'll definitely be active in the Ca bar exam thread as I am with the Texas thread. God Bless, best to everyone. I'll still be around!
Congrats my friend!!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:14 pm

For those that passed -- congrats! Having just passed the Feb 2018 exam, I know exactly how you feel.

For those that did not get the good news -- take the weekend off, hang w/ loved ones, and get back at it. It took my 5 failures until I finally passed the Feb 2018 exam. Currently job hunting (public interest) and I've already had 5-10 interviews. Things do and will get better. Hang in there!

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
MBernard wrote:PASSED! So grateful, felt like my heart was going to explode. Huge congrats to those who nailed it! To those who didn't, you will pass next! This test is beatable. I was abominable law school student and just passed two back to back exams for completely different jurisdictions (TX and CA). I'll definitely be active in the Ca bar exam thread as I am with the Texas thread. God Bless, best to everyone. I'll still be around!
Congrats my friend!!
Huge congrats to you as well!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Auxilio wrote:I passed!!!

I can't believe only 40% pass rate. That's almost a 20% cut from the normal July results
Congrats amigo!!!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
a male human wrote:
tesoro wrote:Stats are up. 40.7% pass rate.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... y.0718.pdf
I can't believe they've done this. This is a February-level number.
That has to be close to all time low right? I don't think it dips below 40 but we're getting close. Although, the MBE was a record low, so we could have seen this coming.

I believe this could be one of the the lowest.

The column that reads "total number completing exam" is inaccurate for the numbers prior to 2/2017. Take a look at the notice at the bottom of the chart. Prior to 2/2017, the numbers in that column correspond to "total numbers examined".

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:19 pm

estefanchanning wrote:I passed!!

YES! Congrats!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote: Preliminary statistical analyses from the July 2018 General Bar Exam:

8,071 applicants completed the exam
2,939 were repeat applicants
The passing rate for repeat applicants was 16.0 percent overall
Holy shit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:21 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:I passed!!

YES! Congrats!

thank you!!! what a roller coaster ride of emotions

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Auxilio wrote:I passed!!!

Congrats to both of you, and all those who passed!

For those that didn't pass, don't give up. There is no shame whatsoever in not passing this ridiculous test.

scard

New

Post by scard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Passed on my sixth try!!

slowned

New

Post by slowned » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 pm

PASSED! and I still puked.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:45 pm

scard wrote:Passed on my sixth try!!
Same here. Passed on my sixth try with the Feb. 2018 exam!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Congrats to the 40% :!:

To everyone else, this was extremely tough. Lowest July pass rate. Take a moment to grieve, but all your experiences will add up. You will get better. Your future self will be better than your present self.

GoldenPuppy

New

Post by GoldenPuppy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Does anyone know when the MBE score will be available on ncbex.org?

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Took the attorneys exam after studying 3 weeks and failed. Will be interested to see how close I came. Tough part is not knowing what to do differently, except MORE. Which sucks (will be trying cases by 2019). 32%. Amazing!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 pm

GoldenPuppy wrote:Does anyone know when the MBE score will be available on ncbex.org?

MBE score is never released for CBX examinees who pass. The closest you can get to an MBE score is to order a "score advisory" report for $25. The report will tell you if your score meets the minimum threshold for waiving into DC and some other jurisdictions.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 pm

scard wrote:Passed on my sixth try!!
Dude!!! That’s awesome, hope all you guys go to the swearing-in ceremony. Haven’t looked at the info yet at dinner with my folks.

GoldenPuppy

New

Post by GoldenPuppy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
GoldenPuppy wrote:Does anyone know when the MBE score will be available on ncbex.org?

MBE score is never released for CBX examinees who pass. The closest you can get to an MBE score is to order a "score advisory" report for $25. The report will tell you if your score meets the minimum threshold for waiving into DC and some other jurisdictions.
Got it. Do you think get the score advisory and transfer the score tonight or wait?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:09 pm

JakeTappers wrote:Took the attorneys exam after studying 3 weeks and failed. Will be interested to see how close I came. Tough part is not knowing what to do differently, except MORE. Which sucks (will be trying cases by 2019). 32%. Amazing!

Sorry to hear that,

You'll get a score breakdown in the mail next week. From there, you can assess whether it's better to take the full exam, or continue with the atty exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”