2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mercury17

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by mercury17 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 pm

so, did everyone sign up with that "pilot program" to share bar exam strategies and stories? do you think it's worth it...?

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:08 am

mercury17 wrote:so, did everyone sign up with that "pilot program" to share bar exam strategies and stories? do you think it's worth it...?
I received their email and signed up out of curiosity. I am sure 100% though that it will be completely useless. We don't need strategies and stories to pass, we have them on the internet already...

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
mercury17 wrote:so, did everyone sign up with that "pilot program" to share bar exam strategies and stories? do you think it's worth it...?
I received their email and signed up out of curiosity. I am sure 100% though that it will be completely useless. We don't need strategies and stories to pass, we have them on the internet already...
Especially not from the Bar, with the superficial-cosmetic approach that they always seem to take with everything. Still, I'm curious to see just how pointless and aggravating the "program" ends up being. (The crazy part is they actually pat themselves on the back for all the bullshit they put out into the world).

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:54 pm

I'd be curious to see what it's like since I didn't get an invitation.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 am

The bar stories stuff is completely useless - I watched for 20 minutes in disbelief. They include a bunch of voice over stories that say stuff like "I was struggling with my bar study, and then I just reminded myself what I was working for!". Unbelievable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 am

Atmosphere wrote:The bar stories stuff is completely useless - I watched for 20 minutes in disbelief. They include a bunch of voice over stories that say stuff like "I was struggling with my bar study, and then I just reminded myself what I was working for!". Unbelievable.
:lol: If only it was unbelievable.

In all honesty, I just want you guys to know that I too struggled with the bar... and then I just reminded myself what I was working for, and whalaa! Done and done. (The only difference is when I say something like that I feel like a total asshole. It's like rubbing salt in a wound--I feel sorry for even joking).

Good luck all! Keep your chins up, and try to find a little time for balance and self-care when you feel like you are burning out.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 am

Atmosphere wrote:The bar stories stuff is completely useless - I watched for 20 minutes in disbelief. They include a bunch of voice over stories that say stuff like "I was struggling with my bar study, and then I just reminded myself what I was working for!". Unbelievable.
While this was unsurprising, I'm sorry to hear that it was basically a waste of time.

Seems they offered a fortune cookie version of actual advice from TLS that you're better off relying on.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Does anyone have their ticket for the bar? Mine says eligibility pending still

longwait

New

Post by longwait » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:32 pm

ithrowds wrote:Does anyone have their ticket for the bar? Mine says eligibility pending still
Wondering the same thing.

My status says eligible for two day exam and ticket not available to print.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Anyone know when the exam software will be available to download? Thanks!

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:43 am

Finally gave in and ordered that essay-writing book that's been floating around in here. I know we're only a few weeks in, but I just feel so overwhelmed taking these practice essays closed book. I don't know how to memorize hundreds of rule statements for each subject while concurrently learning the law and doing practice multiple choice questions. It's helpful having other people here going through the same thing

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:25 am

BlueLaw11 wrote:Finally gave in and ordered that essay-writing book that's been floating around in here. I know we're only a few weeks in, but I just feel so overwhelmed taking these practice essays closed book. I don't know how to memorize hundreds of rule statements for each subject while concurrently learning the law and doing practice multiple choice questions. It's helpful having other people here going through the same thing
If it helps at all (because I know it's tough to judge what you should read, and what is so ridiculously simple that you can skip it), I figured out the basics of their suggested system by pushing pass the intro fluff and reading the portion where they explained it, and then just skipped straight to the subjects that I thought I needed to test on the most in order to practice implementing it and making tweaks that I thought were helpful (with a week left, I really only essay tested on CA Subjects--covering PR the most). I was able to fly through the outlines, and then practice all the questions for the CA subjects in a matter of days--moving onto questions and selected answers on the CA Bar website when I finished digesting what I could learn from the book. (Also, I tested on exam soft's "test" version of the test multiple times before moving onto Word so I could get comfortable with the software, and make sure that there were no glitches in it that would trip me up). I thought it was most important to compare what I issue spotted against what they did, and then see how they set up their essays in order to get a feel for how I should do this for each subject area (i.e., the way that Civ Pro is addressed is different than the way that Com Prop is set up--since one requires more analysis, and the other really is more a simple statement of the rule and outcome).

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Looking for some clarification on a situation:

"Defendants remove a diversity case that clearly satisfies the requirements of diversity jurisdiction, but there is an instate D. P moves to remand. This is NOT considered to be a problem of SMJ, so P must move to remand within 30 days."

Freer says that the in-state rule is "not a problem of SMJ" because there is no diversity issue here. However, my understanding of the in-state defendant rule is that you can NOT remove a case based on diversity jurisdiction if one of the defendants is instate.

Why doesn't it apply in the above scenario?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

frqw9201

New

Post by frqw9201 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:16 pm

If anyone looking for Critical Pass coupon code, send me a PM
Last edited by frqw9201 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsyerboythundercat

New

Post by itsyerboythundercat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Does anyone have an updated "Subject Frequency Chart" for Cali Essays?

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:Finally gave in and ordered that essay-writing book that's been floating around in here. I know we're only a few weeks in, but I just feel so overwhelmed taking these practice essays closed book. I don't know how to memorize hundreds of rule statements for each subject while concurrently learning the law and doing practice multiple choice questions. It's helpful having other people here going through the same thing
If it helps at all (because I know it's tough to judge what you should read, and what is so ridiculously simple that you can skip it), I figured out the basics of their suggested system by pushing pass the intro fluff and reading the portion where they explained it, and then just skipped straight to the subjects that I thought I needed to test on the most in order to practice implementing it and making tweaks that I thought were helpful (with a week left, I really only essay tested on CA Subjects--covering PR the most). I was able to fly through the outlines, and then practice all the questions for the CA subjects in a matter of days--moving onto questions and selected answers on the CA Bar website when I finished digesting what I could learn from the book. (Also, I tested on exam soft's "test" version of the test multiple times before moving onto Word so I could get comfortable with the software, and make sure that there were no glitches in it that would trip me up). I thought it was most important to compare what I issue spotted against what they did, and then see how they set up their essays in order to get a feel for how I should do this for each subject area (i.e., the way that Civ Pro is addressed is different than the way that Com Prop is set up--since one requires more analysis, and the other really is more a simple statement of the rule and outcome).
Thank you!

Calcrastinator

New

Post by Calcrastinator » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Hey guys, I wanted to ask about a strategy. I feel like a lot of my time is devoted to video lectures and reconstructing an outline from the Themis lectures that have thrown me behind. Do you think I should stop creating my own outline and just move through the course and then worry about organization of each subject when it comes time to just review and memorize?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Calcrastinator wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask about a strategy. I feel like a lot of my time is devoted to video lectures and reconstructing an outline from the Themis lectures that have thrown me behind. Do you think I should stop creating my own outline and just move through the course and then worry about organization of each subject when it comes time to just review and memorize?
I purchased my outlines (Leansheet and Critical Pass). Ain't got time to become an expert at creating, and breaking down, your own outlines in my opinion... especially when you have to wait for some guy to tell a story (about some off topic anecdote usually), and then get the point, before you can write in the next outline issue! And for sure those lectures do not cover everything as in depth, or fully, as needed to pass the exam--only MBE study, and other forms of active application-based learning, did that for me.

In my view Leansheets and Critical Pass helped give me the meat quickly and accurately, removing the time suck of creating an inferior outline on the topics myself. The Kaplan Lectures that I had MP3s of were helpful as background noise before bed, while I was eating breakfast, or blaring on my car stereo--i.e., when I could not actively study. But to me, the lecturers were just rich lawyers that found another way to self-interestedly scam everyone out of money. It sounded like they were reading whatever outline the Kaplan course provided them most of the time, did not even understand that material (some of the time), and were providing information that was too basic for me to sit in front of for hours while wasting valuable testing time writing a giant outline of really simplified stuff. A lot of what the Big Box companies provide is just fluff, in my opinion. Easier, and much better, to just get commercial outlines (which are tried and tested, and accurate) and start beating the rules into your brain/testing... testing... testing on those rules.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Calcrastinator wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask about a strategy. I feel like a lot of my time is devoted to video lectures and reconstructing an outline from the Themis lectures that have thrown me behind. Do you think I should stop creating my own outline and just move through the course and then worry about organization of each subject when it comes time to just review and memorize?
I would err towards watching lectures and outlining only until you have a general framework (30,000 foot view), even if there are tons of detail you still don't know.

In my experience, I'd err towards doing actual MBEs and essays because it was more efficient to study that way than by wasting too much time on lectures and making outlines.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 pm

frqw9201 wrote:If anyone looking for Critical Pass coupon code, send me a PM
can't PM you for some reason, but i'd appreciate the code!

echo foxtrot

New

Post by echo foxtrot » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 am

Freer is correct in saying that it is "not a problem of SMJ."

In other words, he is saying that there is no federal question present. The only other way to get the case to the federal level is via removal, assuming diversity is present. However, as you correctly point out, both defendants must be out-of-state and diversity is not met here.

Thus, the motion to remand should be granted.

I hope this helps.
santoki wrote:Looking for some clarification on a situation:

"Defendants remove a diversity case that clearly satisfies the requirements of diversity jurisdiction, but there is an instate D. P moves to remand. This is NOT considered to be a problem of SMJ, so P must move to remand within 30 days."

Freer says that the in-state rule is "not a problem of SMJ" because there is no diversity issue here. However, my understanding of the in-state defendant rule is that you can NOT remove a case based on diversity jurisdiction if one of the defendants is instate.

Why doesn't it apply in the above scenario?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

frqw9201

New

Post by frqw9201 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am

santoki wrote:
frqw9201 wrote:If anyone looking for Critical Pass coupon code, send me a PM
can't PM you for some reason, but i'd appreciate the code!
this forum has gotten rid of PMs for some reason, I am not allowed to post it on a public forum, but if you email me at frqw9201@gmail.com I can reply back with the code

Naybor

New

Post by Naybor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 pm

New member checking in

I just finished 490 questions via Adaptibar (70 per subject)

Im at an overall of 63.6%, what should i really be aiming for? I clicked on the benchmark portion for both National and CA, but those seem rather low, so was hoping someone could provide input. I was told 80% is what i should be at by the last week before the test, seems like a difficult feat, Im surprised I'm even above 60%.

Also, anybody have a suggestion on leansheets vs magic sheets?

Thank you, good luck to everyone!

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Naybor wrote:New member checking in

Im at an overall of 63.6%, what should i really be aiming for? I clicked on the benchmark portion for both National and CA, but those seem rather low, so was hoping someone could provide input. I was told 80% is what i should be at by the last week before the test, seems like a difficult feat, Im surprised I'm even above 60%.

Are you doing a commercial prep program in addition to Adaptibar? Unclear if the Themis + Emmanuels questions are sufficient, or if it's worth getting Adaptibar too

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Naybor wrote:New member checking in

Good thing about these sheets is that there are samples available so you can check them before investing. Check out the samples for each:

http://www.leansheets.com/california-ba ... heets-com/

https://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/la ... o/#samples

It's hard for me (being the creator of Magicsheets) to give you an unbiased recommendation, but I encourage you to try out the samples in your study to see which one works better for you (or maybe they complement one another).

As for your MBE, don't necessarily obsess over the overall score, but rather keep track of your performance for each subject. You could be hitting 40% in one and 80% in another to get you an average score that doesn't tell you what you're missing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”