2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tkt36

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by tkt36 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Has anyone ever brought in erasable ball point pens to day 1 of the exam before? I asked a proctor about them and she said she had never been asked before. I like to use them to mark up the essay.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Just realized that the stickers on my laptop might present a problem. Take them off?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Atmosphere wrote:Just realized that the stickers on my laptop might present a problem. Take them off?
Similar question, do you think this case will be a problem?

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Microsoft-P ... urface+pro

I'd rather not take it off since I'm taking the subway in the morning and can easily see myself dropping my laptop since I won't have a bag.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:49 pm

When should we be arriving at the testing sites tomorrow? I feel like it's not really that clear? 20 minutes before 8:20ish at the latest?

RezIpsy

New

Post by RezIpsy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am

estefanchanning wrote:
AspiringAspirant wrote:I hate to do this the day before but it's just my luck that I've ran into a distinction I just can't wrap my head around for the life of me: bilateral vs unilateral offers.

I get the distinction in the abstract -- unilateral offers are rare instances when an individual seeks only a return performance, rather than a promise, as acceptance of their offer. It only occurs in public reward situations and when the offeror "unambiguously indicates that completion of performance is the only matter of acceptance." It's the part in quotes I can't get right. I look at these fact patterns, and I see no discernible difference between offers that apparently "unambiguously" demand performance instead of a promise, and those that don't. Here are some of the fact patters:

1) A doctor writes to a lawyer "i need a motorcycle for transportation to the country club, and will buy your suzuki for 1200 upon our bringing it to my home address on or before noon, November 12 next." this is a unilateral offer

2) "I'll pay you $50 if you paint my house." According to Emmanuels, this is a bilateral offer

"If you stand in line for more than five minutes, we will pay you $25! We like happy customers." This is a unilateral offer

3) A buyer sending a signed letter to a seller, stating: "Ship 100 boxes of nails at $3 per box, the price quoted in your circular." This is a bilateral offer, acceptable by return promise

4) An uncle writes to his niece: "If you come and live with me and take care of me and my farm for the rest of my life, I will leave the farm to you in my will. This is a unilateral offer

I just don't get it. I've been staring at these hypos and I just don't get how some of them use conditional language like "if" and are bilateral while others seem to use the same construction but are unilateral. Some of them call for specific performance, with no language referencing return promises or agreement, yet are still "ambiguous" enough to be bilateral. Please, someone help me out here lol
I numbered the hypos you gave. This is my opinion:

1) Unilateral
2) Unilateral
3) Not even an offer. There is no consideration for the offeror, so this seems illusory
4) Unilateral

To me, a unilateral offer asks for a performance rather than a promise. In 2, it would be bilateral if it said "i'll give you $50 if you agree to paint my house"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RezIpsy

New

Post by RezIpsy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 am

Those aren’t the best examples but look for a timing/ time LIMIT element. A deadline as a term of acceptance usually indicates a unilateral. Which makes sense because where its missing, a promise is inferred in the acceptance. That’s the only distinction I can make of those examples.

That said, also note that a unilateral can look like a reward! (E.g. $50 if you find fluffy and return her).

Best of luck to you all!!

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:43 pm

No matter how the morning session (or first day, for that matter) went, it's not over until it's over.

Don't dwell on anything you may/may not have missed. Focus on what's ahead and finishing strong. I think a good way of going into each section is to imagine that your current score is just slightly under passing and you need to perform just a little above your average to pass.

Good luck.

(Stop browsing TLS until after the exam, btw).

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes, definitely review information where needed, but make sure to get good nights' rest, try not to hyperventalate at things you think you may not be entirely there on. At this point, you've crammed just about as much as you can into your brain--leansheet (one to two page outlines), Critical Pass, and Adaptibar (more to make sure I was up to speed) for limited sets of ten at a time (then review) was about it for me... with Kaplan MP3s in the backround while I was sleeping was about all I did. And it wasn't all that much. Think I fell asleep to something on the History channel one night.

Remember, what you think might not come to you during the test usually does. You don't need to be perfect in rule statements, just close enough to demonstrate that you know what's up... and some rules will be fleshed out in analysis, where you again show you know whats up.

But above all, the key to winning this test at this point is being alert enough to BS where needed, and process the stress and how to respond. Your brain absolutely needs rest. If you are contemplating an all night hysterical binge, please try to talk yourself out of it and take some time for self care instead.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 pm

The essays were not too bad. I don’t know why but I struggled with the PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 pm

As someone who just taking exams, I'm trying to like count points now. Is there any information about how those are scored? Like, do the example ones have an associated grade? And is like like 90 or just 75? Feel like I fucked up basically by making a wrong statement on each one which will have subjective harm.

km0ney

New

Post by km0ney » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 pm

If that's the case, then haha. whoever reads my essay will be scratching their heads.

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 pm

totally ran out of time for my PT...... I dont even know what the hell I was writing.

Set up was

A. askjaksjha
B.ashajshka

Conclusion

How did you guys address A. that the underlying fact was not moral turpitude?

and B?

km0ney

New

Post by km0ney » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Sunny1211 wrote:totally ran out of time for my PT...... I dont even know what the hell I was writing.

Set up was

A. askjaksjha
B.ashajshka

Conclusion

How did you guys address A. that the underlying fact was not moral turpitude?

and B?
i think i just put 1) he had a good ass excuse that was actually made during the underlying action, and 2) aint nobody even met the clear and convincing, so back the hell up.
and B, I put something about good faith mistake, something about his memory + not contradict plea agreement? and back the hell up again cus aint no clear and convincing !!!
Last edited by km0ney on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

biglawhopeful18

New

Post by biglawhopeful18 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:30 pm

In my haste to finish the PT I forgot to delete my notes at the top. They’re kind of extensive but you can clearly tell where the document is supposed to begin. Any idea how many points I’ll be docked for this?

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:33 pm

All of you who extolled the advantages of taking the PT first are fucking angels and I could kiss you :lol:

FrankieChains

New

Post by FrankieChains » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 pm

Am I the only asshole that wrote two briefs? lol

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:37 pm

FrankieChains wrote:Am I the only asshole that wrote two briefs? lol
I legit started laughing at this. I'm sorry.

Although I guess it's not really much different than two headings like I did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Contracts-I probably got a 65, but I know for a fact I missed some things.
Evidence-Prob 60...didn't have enough time to finish
PR-70 if they aren't C U N.....then a 75 because I did that well on it

CP-75
Con Law-60
PT-60

we shall see, maybe will get a grader who doesn't read everything through

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 pm

So what ever happened to Cross overs? haha damn these tricky bastards!

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:07 pm

on my PT I literally copy pasted the heading for A. and B. from the instruction memo.
Used the first case for the first issue and second case for B.
Left out so much facts :( :( :(

failing PT automatic fail?

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 pm

Sunny1211 wrote:So what ever happened to Cross overs? haha damn these tricky bastards!
Everyone SWORE it was going to be crossovers. So annoying. I wanted Civ Pro so bad too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Underoath wrote:
Sunny1211 wrote:So what ever happened to Cross overs? haha damn these tricky bastards!
Everyone SWORE it was going to be crossovers. So annoying. I wanted Civ Pro so bad too.

I spent so much time memorizing Agency/Corps and CivPro

splitcity

New

Post by splitcity » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Anyone address the possibility that Peter didn't have standing because he wasn't a manufacturer?

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 pm

How many characters did everyone type? Trying to figure out if I wrote too little.

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Ugh I am so over this!

4th goddamn time taking this, last 2 times failed within 20 or so points. Fuck it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”