Is the Barbri Convisor the only BL outline you need for the CA bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mrlawguy

New

Is the Barbri Convisor the only BL outline you need for the CA bar?

Post by mrlawguy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 pm

I understand that there are many additional resources that should be used during bar prep (e.g. AdaptiBar, past performance tests, etc.).

However, my question is specifically about black letter outlines. I have heard from several sources that it is enough to use the Barbri Convisor (thinner outline book) opposed to Barbri's full outline (thicker outline book). Is this correct?

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have taken the bar.

Baller31

New

Re: Is the Barbri Convisor the only BL outline you need for the CA bar?

Post by Baller31 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 am

If you are good at making your own examples then Convisor might be good for you but the big outline is what really teaches you how the law is applied with detail examples, 100%.Convisor is way too short, at least too short for the MBE that is.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

With less than 2 weeks to go, the Convisor is all you need. I took and passed the July 2017 bar, and I only used the Convisor the last 3-4 weeks. The full outline is way too long. I agree that the Convisor is 100% too short to get a 100% on the exam, but you only need like a 70% to safely pass. Knowing like 80% of what is in the Convisor should be enough.

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm

I never even opened the big outline, we will see how I do but the mini-outline covers the majority if what I have seen in the MBE questions from what I can tell.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm

https://law.stanford.edu/office-of-stud ... formation/

I'd argue that even the Convisor is too much. This is all I used and passed easily (Scroll to the bottom). You need to boil down the law and understand how to apply it. Not look through some treatise because you think it'll have every detail in there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm

LockBox wrote:https://law.stanford.edu/office-of-stud ... formation/

I'd argue that even the Convisor is too much. This is all I used and passed easily (Scroll to the bottom). You need to boil down the law and understand how to apply it. Not look through some treatise because you think it'll have every detail in there.
thanks - wish I knew about this about a month ago!

mrlawguy

New

Post by mrlawguy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

This is awesome man. I think it'd be a little too short for me to learn subjects I didn't take in law school, but this would be a very valuable supplement for everything else. Thanks.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 pm

mrlawguy wrote:

This is awesome man. I think it'd be a little too short for me to learn subjects I didn't take in law school, but this would be a very valuable supplement for everything else. Thanks.
No problem. While i'm not sure what your learning style is, my recommendation would be to spend a day or two (max) on reading an outline/watching a lecture on a subject you're learning. After that, take practice tests and use your best effort to write a passing answer. Afterwards, review with a model answer. Rinse and repeat. At least for me, constantly testing myself (and failing) and learning from it helped me pass. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”