August MPRE Exam sufficient for all bar exams? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rej

New

August MPRE Exam sufficient for all bar exams?

Post by rej » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 pm

So I'm an idiot and missed the march registration deadline and now panicking. The career office at my school refuses to interact with us on any bar prep/post-law school topics, so can someone here please soothe my panicking soul and tell me I'll still be able to take the bar in July even if I'm taking the MPRE in August? That's fine...right? Are there certain states where this isn't the case?

unlvcrjchick

New

Re: August MPRE Exam sufficient for all bar exams?

Post by unlvcrjchick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 am

That’s not the case in either of my states (NV and UT), it I suggest you contact your state bar, specifically the admissions section, to inquire further. Just know that you have to pass the MPRE as the final requirement of gaining admission (in other words, even if you pass the bar, you won’t be permitted to swear in or practice until you pass and report the MPRE results to the state bar).

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 am

unlvcrjchick wrote:That’s not the case in either of my states (NV and UT), it I suggest you contact your state bar, specifically the admissions section, to inquire further. Just know that you have to pass the MPRE as the final requirement of gaining admission (in other words, even if you pass the bar, you won’t be permitted to swear in or practice until you pass and report the MPRE results to the state bar).
Wait when you say that's not the case for your states, you mean you can't take the bar until you've passed the mpre? I'm curious but my only sibling is in NV so I hav3 also been thinking about taking their bar. While I theoretically will be fine with the mpre because NY and CA require the highest scores to pass it, I have been wondering how different things are there vs. NY.

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 am

I don't know if you have to be registered for one to take the other, but you really need to check with your state's admissions. In Florida, for example, you don't have to be registered for one to take the other. I took the July bar without being registered for the August MPRE (I eventually took the November MPRE). But I'm assuming that if they let you register for the July bar that you don't also have to be registered for the next MPRE.

But remember that you have to take the MPRE within a certain amount of time after taking the bar (as your bar scores will expire at some point).

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:24 am

Tony48 wrote:I don't know if you have to be registered for one to take the other, but you really need to check with your state's admissions. In Florida, for example, you don't have to be registered for one to take the other. I took the July bar without being registered for the August MPRE (I eventually took the November MPRE). But I'm assuming that if they let you register for the July bar that you don't also have to be registered for the next MPRE.

But remember that you have to take the MPRE within a certain amount of time after taking the bar (as your bar scores will expire at some point).
See that sounds an awful lot like the NY rules. Hopefully you just need to take and pass it within a certain time of the bar, there really isn't a reason you NEED to have that done first. My friend Gina passed the bar her first try but "failed" the more (she would have been good in 48 states but not ours) and she contact NYSBA and told them when she was retaking it to ensure she could get licensed at th3 same time as the rest of her class (so took the July bar and when she passed, it was the November mpre) and she was even able to get licensed at the same time as every one else...so really just call first thing Monday

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rej

New

Post by rej » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 am

Ah, thanks everyone. The reason I wasn't very specific is I'm going to be working at a firm in D.C. and everyone in my class seems to be a little lost as to which bar to take. I have no future career plans that would nudge me in a particular direction and my firm has no preference on which bar's taken before waiving into D.C., so it's all a bit amorphous as of now.

I was able to read that in some states, like NY, you're given up to three years after having taken the bar exam to pass the MPRE - noting that you of course aren't admitted until you've completed all requirements - but had less luck with finding information for other potential states. I wasn't aware there was really anyone available to talk to regarding this, so I'll definitely make some calls on Monday. Thanks!

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
unlvcrjchick wrote:That’s not the case in either of my states (NV and UT), it I suggest you contact your state bar, specifically the admissions section, to inquire further. Just know that you have to pass the MPRE as the final requirement of gaining admission (in other words, even if you pass the bar, you won’t be permitted to swear in or practice until you pass and report the MPRE results to the state bar).
Wait when you say that's not the case for your states, you mean you can't take the bar until you've passed the mpre? I'm curious but my only sibling is in NV so I hav3 also been thinking about taking their bar. While I theoretically will be fine with the mpre because NY and CA require the highest scores to pass it, I have been wondering how different things are there vs. NY.
I mean that you don’t have to pass the MPRE before taking the bar in Nevada.

From the Nevada State Bar’s website:

“Pursuant to Supreme Court Rules 65.5 and 69, an applicant shall take and pass the MPRE with a scale score of at least 85 no earlier than three years preceding the year in which an applicant passes the Nevada bar examination and no later than three years after the year in which an applicant passes the Nevada bar examination.”

I know this is irrelevant but, I can’t figure out why 1) my last post had to be approved before it was posted to this site and 2) why I can’t edit my prior post?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”