Feb. 2018 Themis Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JoLaw824

New

Re: Feb. 2018 Themis

Post by JoLaw824 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 pm

kc128 wrote:These final question sets are killing my self esteem :cry:
you'll have good and bad days. TOday's 100 questions were tricky. IMO.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm

macgirl wrote:Can anyone explain #200 for me on the simulated exam? So Me: I assumed "unavailable declarant" since he lacks memory of the subject matter of the statement and "dying declaration" believes death is imminent, statement pertains to cause or circumstance of the death , he didn't have to die, and only applies in homicide cases and civil cases, and this one is attempted murder. I selected "C" but the answer is "A" ........ What am I missing????? TY
I reviewed this one also. It seems that the dying declaration doesn't work b/c the charge is attempted murder (i.e. not straight murder or homicide charge). This is also total BS, IMO and even my tutor was not buying it, but I guess moving forward, just think whether it's "attempt" or not...

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
Totally. Are you referring to exam #4? That's not accessible for me until Monday hmm...

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 pm

kc128 wrote:
macgirl wrote:Can anyone explain #200 for me on the simulated exam? So Me: I assumed "unavailable declarant" since he lacks memory of the subject matter of the statement and "dying declaration" believes death is imminent, statement pertains to cause or circumstance of the death , he didn't have to die, and only applies in homicide cases and civil cases, and this one is attempted murder. I selected "C" but the answer is "A" ........ What am I missing????? TY
I reviewed this one also. It seems that the dying declaration doesn't work b/c the charge is attempted murder (i.e. not straight murder or homicide charge). This is also total BS, IMO and even my tutor was not buying it, but I guess moving forward, just think whether it's "attempt" or not...

super BS cuz the person doesn't have to die so if he doesn't it would default to attempt if they did try to charge a defendant cuz he's obviously not dead. thanks tho! hopefully nothing like this shows up on the exam.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 am

kc128 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:
Totally. Are you referring to exam #4? That's not accessible for me until Monday hmm...
Yes - I think it's based on how far you've gotten in the course when it's available. I went ahead on MBE subjects / assignments and am behind on essays. so Playing catch up the rest of this week so I can take the essay exam saturday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

What really annoys me is the difference between common law conspiracy and every other law (fed, MPC) conspiracy. That tripped me up. Like why test us on multiple variations of the same law?! WE CAN LOOK THIS UP ONCE WE'RE ACTUALLY ATTORNEYS. Bah.

End rant. Back to the grind.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am

JoLaw824 wrote:What really annoys me is the difference between common law conspiracy and every other law (fed, MPC) conspiracy. That tripped me up. Like why test us on multiple variations of the same law?! WE CAN LOOK THIS UP ONCE WE'RE ACTUALLY ATTORNEYS. Bah.

MY FEELINGS ON EVERY GODDAMN CIV PRO PLEADINGS QUESTION.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am

JoLaw824 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:
Yes - I think it's based on how far you've gotten in the course when it's available. I went ahead on MBE subjects / assignments and am behind on essays. so Playing catch up the rest of this week so I can take the essay exam saturday.
That totally makes sense. I haven't used Themis really for much direction, just the MBE questions, graded essays, outlines and simulated but in my own order.

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:
The exam #4 is still locked for me and I'm at 96.3%, are you sure what you did wasn't the 100 question question set in the mixed-subject area?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Respondeat_Inferior wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:
The exam #4 is still locked for me and I'm at 96.3%, are you sure what you did wasn't the 100 question question set in the mixed-subject area?
Have you completed? I did the first few of those and noticed some ?s repeat, but I also cheated and used the quiz builder much earlier than I should have.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm

I messaged Themis (no response yet) to ask if they could make it available this weekend. I work full time so generally do these things on weekends, but I don't wanna leave it to the weekend immediately before the bar. Hopefully they can unlock it on Saturday or sunday for me!

PS I'm STILL unable to break the 66% MBE score on all the practice MBEs. Anyone else having this issue and is there any reason to worry? I feel like I'm STILL learning brand new rules every time (like as if there's an aircraft inspection rule in negligence!). Civ pro is the worst offender here.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:55 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:
Practice Exam 4 - took it yesterday.... it's in the "practice exams" sidebar link. I'd email your rep.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
I messaged Themis (no response yet) to ask if they could make it available this weekend. I work full time so generally do these things on weekends, but I don't wanna leave it to the weekend immediately before the bar. Hopefully they can unlock it on Saturday or sunday for me!

PS I'm STILL unable to break the 66% MBE score on all the practice MBEs. Anyone else having this issue and is there any reason to worry? I feel like I'm STILL learning brand new rules every time (like as if there's an aircraft inspection rule in negligence!). Civ pro is the worst offender here.
66% is good! I have good days and bad. I hit 73% on one and literally just tried to do another 50 mixed set and got 5 in a row wrong and was pissed off so I stopped. Crim Pro and Civ Pro are my worst. Just keep pushing - every person I know that's passed said to do as many MBEs as possible. I'm working on reviewing essay answers now, and will likely either take a nap or hit a workout before I try and go back to another set of MBEs. I think MBE stuff is super mental too. When I'm fresh, I'm on fire. When I'm tired or pissed, I do shitty. Just stick to your guns and trust the process!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:00 pm

kc128 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:What really annoys me is the difference between common law conspiracy and every other law (fed, MPC) conspiracy. That tripped me up. Like why test us on multiple variations of the same law?! WE CAN LOOK THIS UP ONCE WE'RE ACTUALLY ATTORNEYS. Bah.

MY FEELINGS ON EVERY GODDAMN CIV PRO PLEADINGS QUESTION.
Civ Pro is the worst. There is zero reason we all need to memorize civ pro. I literally laugh every time I have to go into the big book and re-read Erie. It's just nonsensical.

KeepPushing1234

New

Post by KeepPushing1234 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

66% is good! I have good days and bad. I hit 73% on one and literally just tried to do another 50 mixed set and got 5 in a row wrong and was pissed off so I stopped. Crim Pro and Civ Pro are my worst. Just keep pushing - every person I know that's passed said to do as many MBEs as possible. I'm working on reviewing essay answers now, and will likely either take a nap or hit a workout before I try and go back to another set of MBEs. I think MBE stuff is super mental too. When I'm fresh, I'm on fire. When I'm tired or pissed, I do shitty. Just stick to your guns and trust the process!
Yes, I completely agree! I've noticed that lately that after a workout my MBE scores go up significantly. It's all mental, and it's designed for you to give up as it seems tremendously overwhelming, but as you say keep pushing and trust the process :D

Crockidator

New

Post by Crockidator » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Has anyone else found that they get worse scores on practice MBE questions than the simulated exams?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the practice sets might recalibrate as you go to give you more questions of the type that you typically miss. Did we ever figure out if this is true? Because I don't really understand the trajectory of my MBE questions otherwise. I've gotten up to 20% higher on the simulated MBEs than some of my practice sets (especially in the later question sets for subject areas).

For the next two weeks, I am going to keep talking myself down from panic with the pass percentages on Themis's site for first-time takers who complete at least 75%. There is about a 90% chance that I will NOT fail this test (as long as I, you know, actually get my butt in gear and learn secured transactions and commercial paper and polish up my essay writing skills). We are probably going to make it through this and never have to do it again, everyone!

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Neilt001 wrote:

Themis stuff unlocks based on time zone, set your time zone in the Themis settings to Auckland, NZ, and it will open up on Sunday for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 am

Themis stuff unlocks based on time zone, set your time zone in the Themis settings to Auckland, NZ, and it will open up on Sunday for you.
You sir, are a genius. Also I messaged Themis and they said they cannot unlock practice exams early, but that I should just use the hard copy book on the weekend and then enter my scores online when it opens.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am

JoLaw824 wrote:
Thanks JoLaw! Can't lose hope. We're all still in the running!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Neilt001 wrote:

My rep. unlocked the simulated for me the Saturday before it was assigned, but by "unlocked" I mean, she emailed me a PDF of the questions and answer key. She told me there wasn't a way to unlock the exam online w/ the detailed answer explanations but still better than nothing!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Crockidator wrote:Has anyone else found that they get worse scores on practice MBE questions than the simulated exams?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the practice sets might recalibrate as you go to give you more questions of the type that you typically miss. Did we ever figure out if this is true? Because I don't really understand the trajectory of my MBE questions otherwise. I've gotten up to 20% higher on the simulated MBEs than some of my practice sets (especially in the later question sets for subject areas).

For the next two weeks, I am going to keep talking myself down from panic with the pass percentages on Themis's site for first-time takers who complete at least 75%. There is about a 90% chance that I will NOT fail this test (as long as I, you know, actually get my butt in gear and learn secured transactions and commercial paper and polish up my essay writing skills). We are probably going to make it through this and never have to do it again, everyone!
Scored mid 120s on the simulated and over a 130 on one of the released simulated MBE exams from NCBE. Literally got a 47% on the last civ pro MBE assessment. I like to think they just get beyond ridiculous at the end.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm

How many essays have people completed? And by complete I mean, being realistic with those of us who worked for a lot of this prep, read through the essay, thought about your answer, and read the themis answer?

My study schedule is just off since I've basically gone rogue the last two weeks.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:How many essays have people completed? And by complete I mean, being realistic with those of us who worked for a lot of this prep, read through the essay, thought about your answer, and read the themis answer?

My study schedule is just off since I've basically gone rogue the last two weeks.
Agreed - my essay routine consists of reading the question, thinking about it and typing in a random letter so I can click to the model, realizing how terrible my answer would have been had I written it out, and trying to highlight/memorize the model answer.

I'm 91% course completion and have 13 essays remaining (don't know how many I've 'written')

How about you??

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
JoLaw824 wrote:How many essays have people completed? And by complete I mean, being realistic with those of us who worked for a lot of this prep, read through the essay, thought about your answer, and read the themis answer?

Agreed - my essay routine consists of reading the question, thinking about it and typing in a random letter so I can click to the model, realizing how terrible my answer would have been had I written it out, and trying to highlight/memorize the model answer.

I'm 91% course completion and have 13 essays remaining (don't know how many I've 'written')

How about you??
I'm sure my Themis rep would not be happy with me, but I've spent the last two days (albeit, starting my days with 50 MBE always, when I'm up, post-workout, heavily caffeinated and fresh), hitting each essay, reading it, tying in the random letter like you are, then seeing their answer. Then I have been pulling all the rules of law out from their answer and onto a Word doc - so I can keep re-reading it. Suffice it to say, I'm hoping if I can get through all the essays (I have 12 more), that Themis has hit every "most tested" topic, and I've read through each one in a way you should write it on the exam. I feel like these "rule statements" or memorizing the law in the way it should be written on the exam, is crucial.

I'm so worried about memorizing enough for this part.

I am a re-taker and did Barbri the first time. They had an entire half of a book dedicated to "Key Issues Tested" on Essays that did this basically for you - which is the ONLY thing I'll say that was great versus Themis. Otherwise, I've liked the Themis program way more.

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:06 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

How about you??
I'm sure my Themis rep would not be happy with me, but I've spent the last two days (albeit, starting my days with 50 MBE always, when I'm up, post-workout, heavily caffeinated and fresh), hitting each essay, reading it, tying in the random letter like you are, then seeing their answer. Then I have been pulling all the rules of law out from their answer and onto a Word doc - so I can keep re-reading it. Suffice it to say, I'm hoping if I can get through all the essays (I have 12 more), that Themis has hit every "most tested" topic, and I've read through each one in a way you should write it on the exam. I feel like these "rule statements" or memorizing the law in the way it should be written on the exam, is crucial.

I'm so worried about memorizing enough for this part.

I am a re-taker and did Barbri the first time. They had an entire half of a book dedicated to "Key Issues Tested" on Essays that did this basically for you - which is the ONLY thing I'll say that was great versus Themis. Otherwise, I've liked the Themis program way more.
The "key issues tested" section of barbri is essentially the same thing as the MEE workshop that Themis has.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”