Waiving into DC Bar with MBE Score Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
NotoriousRBG90

New

Waiving into DC Bar with MBE Score

Post by NotoriousRBG90 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Hey! Just a quick question, which I wasn't able to find the answer to on here. Does anyone know how much the costs are to waive into the DC Bar with your MBE score transferred? Thanks!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: Waiving into DC Bar with MBE Score

Post by ndbigdave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 pm

NotoriousRBG90 wrote:Hey! Just a quick question, which I wasn't able to find the answer to on here. Does anyone know how much the costs are to waive into the DC Bar with your MBE score transferred? Thanks!
There will be two portions:
1 - Fee for the motion, from memory it is a bit over $400
2 - Paying the NCBE to complete your C&F which I believe is about $450

Then any incidential fees to get things notarized, mailed etc.,

After being certified (expect to wait 6-8 months or so) you will need to be sworn in and then complete the mandatory course (another $220) though the course can be put off (you have to do it within 12 months of being admitted) the whole process will cost north of $1000 and takes longer than you may first expect.

gingerbread

New

Post by gingerbread » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 am

I just submitted mine a few weeks ago -- $850 or so sounds about right. The one good thing about DC is that you can pay all their fees with a credit card and at least get some points, unlike Virginia.

ORHopeful

New

Post by ORHopeful » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Can you waive into DC based solely on your MBE score? I had looked into this after I failed the CA bar but with a high MBE score and I was under the impression the answer was no?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 pm

ORHopeful wrote:Can you waive into DC based solely on your MBE score? I had looked into this after I failed the CA bar but with a high MBE score and I was under the impression the answer was no?
https://www.dccourts.gov/court-of-appea ... admissions

To waive in via motion through MBE score you need to have been admitted (IE: passed) with your MBE score being 133 or higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotoriousRBG90

New

Post by NotoriousRBG90 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks, everyone! I thought it was more than $1k, but wanted to check in with those who had already gone through the process.

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:06 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
ORHopeful wrote:Can you waive into DC based solely on your MBE score? I had looked into this after I failed the CA bar but with a high MBE score and I was under the impression the answer was no?

To waive in via motion through MBE score you need to have been admitted (IE: passed) with your MBE score being 133 or higher.
Just to piggy back off this, you can transfer your MBE score if it 133 or higher, but you still would need to take the essay portion of the exam in DC. That is where I am at.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:38 pm

hanner22 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

Just to piggy back off this, you can transfer your MBE score if it 133 or higher, but you still would need to take the essay portion of the exam in DC. That is where I am at.
I am not sure what situation you are in, but if you have an MBE score from a PASSING TEST you can simply pay the fees, wait the months and then be sworn in. I can assure you that is what I just did without a neeed to take an essay portion - perhaps if you achieve a 133 MBE for a test that you otherwise fail?

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:38 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
hanner22 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

I am not sure what situation you are in, but if you have an MBE score from a PASSING TEST you can simply pay the fees, wait the months and then be sworn in. I can assure you that is what I just did without a neeed to take an essay portion - perhaps if you achieve a 133 MBE for a test that you otherwise fail?
Yup, you are totally right. I misread the first post! My bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 pm

I have a somewhat related question.

I took the bar in NY in July and passed. I submitted my NY bar app end of December. What happens if I submit my DC UBE transfer-based application now? When NY wasn't UBE, you knew you had to waive into DC within 90 days of admission to NY in order to benefit from the rule that lets you practice in DC without having been admitted, under the supervision of a DC-barred attorney. But now I could waive into DC before being admitted to NY. Do I automatically benefit from the supervised practice rule as soon as I'm admitted to NY?

Chanelkin88

New

Post by Chanelkin88 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 am

If I had my Character and Fitness completed in GA less than 1.5 years ago, then can I submit it to the DC bar or do I have to open a new C&F application? Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”