New York Bar application question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supersplittysplitter

Bronze

New York Bar application question

Post by supersplittysplitter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 pm

This is a very basic question but is the process for "applying" in April to take the bar exam similar to signing up for any other standardized test? In other words we don't need to submit all the affidavits and character and fitness info until after we actually take the test in July? Or are there any forms and documents (such as affidavits) we need to submit in April so that we can take the Bar exam in July?

teaearlgreyhot

New

Re: New York Bar application question

Post by teaearlgreyhot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:This is a very basic question but is the process for "applying" in April to take the bar exam similar to signing up for any other standardized test? In other words we don't need to submit all the affidavits and character and fitness info until after we actually take the test in July? Or are there any forms and documents (such as affidavits) we need to submit in April so that we can take the Bar exam in July?
For New York, the application itself is very simple. You submit an online application and pay a fee. After that, there are a few more hoops you have to jump through (submit a handwriting sample, pay for and download the software if using a laptop, take a mock exam (also laptop)), but there is nothing you need to have prepared for the application itself, and you will get emails from the New York Bar Examiners about all of the additional requirements.

FYI, the handwriting sample must be signed off by someone at your law school, and submitted before a certain deadline (again, this will be in the email they send you), so you will have to reach out to your law school registrar to complete it, but it's an easy process. I had already left school by the time I got the handwriting sample form, so I had to do it all by mail, but it worked out fine. Just pay attention to your email and the deadlines.

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:53 pm

just tried to register for the NY bar for july that just opened up. One of the questions is asking for the month and year you finished your law credits which for most of us would be May of 2018. The problem is the drop down box for the year doesnt go past 2017. Is anyone else having this problem??

tre991

New

Post by tre991 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:19 pm

CBlaw wrote:just tried to register for the NY bar for july that just opened up. One of the questions is asking for the month and year you finished your law credits which for most of us would be May of 2018. The problem is the drop down box for the year doesnt go past 2017. Is anyone else having this problem??
Yes, same. It's so dumb. I'm guessing they just reused the Feb application and messed up... the helpline is only available on weekdays so we should call then? Several friends had the same problem so I think it's an error in the application itself.

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:29 pm

tre991 wrote:
CBlaw wrote:just tried to register for the NY bar for july that just opened up. One of the questions is asking for the month and year you finished your law credits which for most of us would be May of 2018. The problem is the drop down box for the year doesnt go past 2017. Is anyone else having this problem??
Yes, same. It's so dumb. I'm guessing they just reused the Feb application and messed up... the helpline is only available on weekdays so we should call then? Several friends had the same problem so I think it's an error in the application itself.
yea just saw in another part of TLS that ppl were having this problem. Im sure it will be fixed tomm sometime

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”