Feb 2018 Bar Exam in NY- LOCATIONS ADVICE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
pvnyc

Bronze

Feb 2018 Bar Exam in NY- LOCATIONS ADVICE

Post by pvnyc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, I am taking the Feb 2018 bar exam in NY and wanted to know everyone's opinions about what would be a preferable examination site.
I am retaking the bar--- in july I took it at the armory and booked a hotel 15-20 min away.

This year, I believe it is at the armory, westchester county, in albany and in Buffalo (please let me know if I am wrong).

Any preferences? I actually was thinking about going to the armory again (I heard albany has been known to be super cold).
However, this time I was thinking about leaving him 5:30 AM and traveling to the examination site (I live in Jamaica in Queens County). not sure yet if by bus or car

i would love to get everyone's opinion about this

thanks

AspiringCALawyer

New

Re: Feb 2018 Bar Exam in NY- LOCATIONS ADVICE

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 am

pvnyc wrote:Hi everyone, I am taking the Feb 2018 bar exam in NY and wanted to know everyone's opinions about what would be a preferable examination site.
I am retaking the bar--- in july I took it at the armory and booked a hotel 15-20 min away.

This year, I believe it is at the armory, westchester county, in albany and in Buffalo (please let me know if I am wrong).

Any preferences? I actually was thinking about going to the armory again (I heard albany has been known to be super cold).
However, this time I was thinking about leaving him 5:30 AM and traveling to the examination site (I live in Jamaica in Queens County). not sure yet if by bus or car

thanks
You're brave to rely on MTA from Queens to get to the exam. I see the Armory is much farther than when I took the bar at Javits. At the time I lived in Jersey City and I was still nervous about getting there on time via public transportation. I would do a repeat of Armory and a hotel in the area.

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:36 am

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
pvnyc wrote:Hi everyone, I am taking the Feb 2018 bar exam in NY and wanted to know everyone's opinions about what would be a preferable examination site.

thanks
You're brave to rely on MTA from Queens to get to the exam. I see the Armory is much farther than when I took the bar at Javits. At the time I lived in Jersey City and I was still nervous about getting there on time via public transportation. I would do a repeat of Armory and a hotel in the area.
Thanks... driving there sounds even dumber now

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:57 pm

honestly, probably better off taking it in Albany. I went to college up there and I'm sure it wouldn't be as much of a pain like the Armory is on exam day.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm

thanks
I would recommend Albany or, if offered for February, Saratoga (I have heard Saratoga is much smaller in terms of number of examinees and the distance/need for a hotel would be the same if you go to the capital region). Make sure to register once the e-mail comes out because of the board's new policy for seating. For those who have not seen:

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a seat assignment. For additional information please click on Test Sites in the table of contents.

^is at https://www.nybarexam.org/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm

studying4bar wrote:

thanks
I would recommend Albany or, if offered for February, Saratoga (I have heard Saratoga is much smaller in terms of number of examinees and the distance/need for a hotel would be the same if you go to the capital region). Make sure to register once the e-mail comes out because of the board's new policy for seating. For those who have not seen:

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a seat assignment. For additional information please click on Test Sites in the table of contents.

Ugh I'm undecided about this issue too. I've taken it previously at Pace and the Armory, which I personally don't mind, but it's a schlep. I stayed on the UES and cabbed it without any issue, and left plenty of time to spare. Forewarning to the Armory in Feb, we had to line up around the block in cold temps, though other testing centers may have the same issue. Pace physically let us into the building, like in the lobby area.

I've been checking my email constantly for updates :/

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:01 pm

kc128 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:

thanks

Ugh I'm undecided about this issue too. I've taken it previously at Pace and the Armory, which I personally don't mind, but it's a schlep. I stayed on the UES and cabbed it without any issue, and left plenty of time to spare. Forewarning to the Armory in Feb, we had to line up around the block in cold temps, though other testing centers may have the same issue. Pace physically let us into the building, like in the lobby area.

I would jump on the Albany option if offered, less crowded and much more calm. Armory you can barely find a place to eat lunch, is Pace any better of a location? lol

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

kc128 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:

thanks

I think once the people start going in... you don't have to be on the line--just go in (since people are putting their belongings away and getting settled)

But you are lucky to have stayed in the UES!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:

thanks

Pace was okay! I took it there July 2016 and they had the law school cafe open for lunch. I've personally just always brought things to snack on to avoid lots of people/lines and to make sure I'm not rushed w/ time. Pace had lots of parking and was 5/10 mins from the majority of the hotels in White Plains. That said, I don't think it's an option for Feb. and if it is, it may handwriting candidates only.

I would jump on the Albany option if offered, less crowded and much more calm. Armory you can barely find a place to eat lunch, is Pace any better of a location? lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Manteca

Silver

Post by Manteca » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

I have no idea if they're still offering it, but I took it at a hotel near Times Square in July. It was pretty awesome, all things considered. Lots of room, tons of bathrooms in close proximity to the testing facility (which was basically a giant convention center).

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 am

studying4bar wrote:

thanks

This policy really sucks. Who came up with this brilliant idea? So, someone who lives in NYC but went to law school outside NYS could end up in Albany or so other far-flung spot?

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 pm

AspiringCALawyer wrote:
studying4bar wrote:

thanks

This policy really sucks. Who came up with this brilliant idea? So, someone who lives in NYC but went to law school outside NYS could end up in Albany or so other far-flung spot?
It is a terrible policy in my opinion, but New York keeps changing the rules. First it was the UBE then there were changes to how long your NYLE score was good for and then the laptop/seating policies...idk. New York is (oddly) a relatively cheap state to take the bar in, but not if you have to fly to buffalo and get a hotel and make all necessary arrangements.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:34 pm

studying4bar wrote:It is a terrible policy in my opinion, but New York keeps changing the rules. First it was the UBE then there were changes to how long your NYLE score was good for and then the laptop/seating policies...idk. New York is (oddly) a relatively cheap state to take the bar in, but not if you have to fly to buffalo and get a hotel and make all necessary arrangements.
That's because NY separates the actual exam and character and fitness. Most states combine the two so your passing means you'll be practicing soon (some cases the next day). When combined, NY is still cheaper but not by much

How long is the NYLE score good for? I thought it was 3 years? I passed, I don't want to take it again :lol:

My $.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 pm

b290 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:It is a terrible policy in my opinion, but New York keeps changing the rules. First it was the UBE then there were changes to how long your NYLE score was good for and then the laptop/seating policies...idk. New York is (oddly) a relatively cheap state to take the bar in, but not if you have to fly to buffalo and get a hotel and make all necessary arrangements.
That's because NY separates the actual exam and character and fitness. Most states combine the two so your passing means you'll be practicing soon (some cases the next day). When combined, NY is still cheaper but not by much

How long is the NYLE score good for? I thought it was 3 years? I passed, I don't want to take it again :lol:

My $.02
The 375 you pay with your application is not for the character and fitness but for your bar dues fyi

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:39 pm

adil91 wrote:
b290 wrote:

My $.02
The 375 you pay with your application is not for the character and fitness but for your bar dues fyi
You are correct, as that's how it's stated on the Bar's website. Thanks for the correction! :)

My. $.02

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”