NY Third Department Admissions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Neilt001

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:17 pm

I submitted late Oct/early Nov and finally heard back last week. Turns out I need another form or two. Not a huge deal but they definitely took their time in getting back to me!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 am

Neilt001 wrote:I submitted late Oct/early Nov and finally heard back last week. Turns out I need another form or two. Not a huge deal but they definitely took their time in getting back to me!
Hi Neilt001,

Fellow aussie here. Hoping you can help me with a few questions about the admission forms if you remember:
- is the law school certificate form required for foreign applicants (i.e. do we need to get our law school to send the form to NY)?
- for the attesting officer outside of the US who isnt a notary, what did you attach to show the officer’s authority?
- for the education section, do we need to include high school as well or just uni?
- do we need to get a certificate of good standing to satisfy the skills competency requirement?

Thanks a lot!!

BrazilianAttyNYC

New

Post by BrazilianAttyNYC » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Neilt001 wrote:I submitted late Oct/early Nov and finally heard back last week. Turns out I need another form or two. Not a huge deal but they definitely took their time in getting back to me!
When did you take the Bar? Trying to figure out whether they are still working through the applications from those who sat for the July 2018 Bar. If that's the case, I'm assuming I (who sat for the Feb. 2018 Exam) am still very far behind you.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:51 am

nada123 wrote:
Hi Neilt001,

Fellow aussie here. Hoping you can help me with a few questions about the admission forms if you remember:
- is the law school certificate form required for foreign applicants (i.e. do we need to get our law school to send the form to NY)?
- for the attesting officer outside of the US who isnt a notary, what did you attach to show the officer’s authority?
- for the education section, do we need to include high school as well or just uni?
- do we need to get a certificate of good standing to satisfy the skills competency requirement?

Thanks a lot!!
Hey mate! Great questions. I had similar questions and luckily had a mate who'd gone through it to help me out.

1. Yes, you'll need the law school cert. The law school will have to send it directly to the 3D.
2. For the witness who isn't a notary, you'll need to provide proof that they have the authority to witness docs. I did two things for this. First, I typed up a form for them to sign on a court header which read: I, XXXXXXXXXXX, being an admitted Solicitor of the Supreme Court of XXXXX, Australia (Legal Practitioner No. XXXXXXXX and holding a current 2017-2018 Practising Certificate No. XXXXXXXXXXX) hereby certify that, although not a Notary Public in the State of XXX, I am duly authorized to swear and take affidavits in the State of XXXX pursuant to section 19 of the Oaths and Affirmations Act 2018 (VIC).

Second, I provided a copy of the relevant section of the legislation so the 3D could read it if they wished.
3. I think just uni. I didn't refer to my high school at all, from what I can remember.
4. I didn't have to do the skills competency part.I think I was exempt because I commenced my law studies after a certain date? I can't recall exactly why. Anyway not too sure on this one. Is it not explained on the website?

Lemme know if any other questions! GOod luck!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 am

BrazilianAttyNYC wrote:
When did you take the Bar? Trying to figure out whether they are still working through the applications from those who sat for the July 2018 Bar. If that's the case, I'm assuming I (who sat for the Feb. 2018 Exam) am still very far behind you.
Hi there,

Yes I wrote in Feb 2018. I've heard that they put the July 2018 people ahead of us because there's way more of them and they wanna clear the glut. I think the more important question though is when you submitted the application? If it was around early Nov (like me), you should be hearing back any time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:55 am

Neilt001 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
Hi Neilt001,

Thanks a lot!!
Hey mate! Great questions. I had similar questions and luckily had a mate who'd gone through it to help me out.

1. Yes, you'll need the law school cert. The law school will have to send it directly to the 3D.
2. For the witness who isn't a notary, you'll need to provide proof that they have the authority to witness docs. I did two things for this. First, I typed up a form for them to sign on a court header which read: I, XXXXXXXXXXX, being an admitted Solicitor of the Supreme Court of XXXXX, Australia (Legal Practitioner No. XXXXXXXX and holding a current 2017-2018 Practising Certificate No. XXXXXXXXXXX) hereby certify that, although not a Notary Public in the State of XXX, I am duly authorized to swear and take affidavits in the State of XXXX pursuant to section 19 of the Oaths and Affirmations Act 2018 (VIC).

Second, I provided a copy of the relevant section of the legislation so the 3D could read it if they wished.
3. I think just uni. I didn't refer to my high school at all, from what I can remember.
4. I didn't have to do the skills competency part.I think I was exempt because I commenced my law studies after a certain date? I can't recall exactly why. Anyway not too sure on this one. Is it not explained on the website?

Lemme know if any other questions! GOod luck!
Thanks mate! Super helpful.

About number 4, thanks for the prompt. I re-read the section and it doesn't apply to me too.

One more question :D Assuming you're admitted to practice in VIC, where did you get a grievance letter from? This is for the question that asks for a certificate of good standing and a letter from the grievance/complaints committee from the country you're admitted in. The law society supplies the certificate of good standing but just not sure about the other one.

Thanks again!

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Does it matter that one of my character affidavits is double sided. Do they care about those kind of things?

uvalawstudent321

New

Post by uvalawstudent321 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 am

Has anyone who submitted their application in mid-December heard back yet?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Neilt001 wrote:Hey question regarding the employment affidavits. I don't want to bother any partners, and lots of HR people have left my old firms. Can I just have an old colleague (eg a lawyer who still works at my old firm but was just a peer, not a supervisor) swear the affidavit? In other words, does it have to be a supervisor, or can it just be another lawyer from the firm swearing that I used to work there?

Thanks!
Oh i have the exact same question! Did you end up finding out if it was ok to get a colleague/employee but non lawyer at the firm to sign it? Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

excelsior1

New

Post by excelsior1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Took the July 2017 exam, passed in october, certified with the 2nd dept. Had to finish my 50 hour pro bono and transfer to the 3rd dept since we left NY in July 2018. Just submitted my app. This has been exhausting to say the least. Any idea when I'll be sworn in? :?

uvalawstudent321

New

Post by uvalawstudent321 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:31 am

excelsior1 wrote:Took the July 2017 exam, passed in october, certified with the 2nd dept. Had to finish my 50 hour pro bono and transfer to the 3rd dept since we left NY in July 2018. Just submitted my app. This has been exhausting to say the least. Any idea when I'll be sworn in? :?
I submitted my application to the 3rd department in December and haven’t heard back, so probably a while.

violetcoke

New

Post by violetcoke » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Submitted in December and still haven't heard back from the Third Department. Do they conduct interviews/swearing-in ceremonies every month?

wendykr

New

Post by wendykr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Submitted right before Christmas and have not heard anything back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobloblaw123

New

Re: NY Third Department Admissions Updates Please

Post by bobloblaw123 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 pm

Can everyone post their experiences and timeline of their past or current application at New York Third Judicial Department?

1. When did you pass the bar exam? Jul. 2018
2. When did you submit your application? Dec. 2018
3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application? No.
4. When were you assigned an interviewer? I haven’t heard anything yet.

Ric Flair

New

Post by Ric Flair » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 am

Submitted late January 2019, haven't heard shit.

Can anyone please let me know how does the Third Department contact you when they give you a swear in date or need supplemental information? Is it by email, phone, or mail?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 pm

nada123 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:Hey question regarding the employment affidavits. I don't want to bother any partners, and lots of HR people have left my old firms. Can I just have an old colleague (eg a lawyer who still works at my old firm but was just a peer, not a supervisor) swear the affidavit? In other words, does it have to be a supervisor, or can it just be another lawyer from the firm swearing that I used to work there?

Thanks!
Oh i have the exact same question! Did you end up finding out if it was ok to get a colleague/employee but non lawyer at the firm to sign it? Thanks
Hi there! Can confirm that they accepted employment affidavits from a fellow lawyer for one of my firms, and from a non-lawyer office manager at my other firm. I have my interview/ceremony in april and docs are fine :)

yq63w

New

Post by yq63w » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Anyone else here applying for admission without examination (i.e. "waiving in" or "on motion")? It looks to me like most everyone commenting here had to sit for the New York bar exam.

I started the process in early November 2018 with the application to the Board of Law Examiners (just to certify that I had 5+ years experience, am a member of a bar with reciprocity, and went to an ABA-accredited school). BOLE certification took just over a week.

Then the 3rd Department required me to file an affidavit swearing to all the same facts that the BOLE already certified. (Plus that I'm older than 26. Is there anyone with 5+ years experience practicing law who isn't older than 26?) The 3rd Department took about 3 weeks to approve that and give me permission to file the real application.

I submitted the application on January 11, 2019 (the big one with education, employment history, references, certificates from my other bars, etc.). I got a form email on January 14, 2019 acknowledging receipt. I've heard nothing since then.

The Third Department web site says the whole process typically takes 4-6 months (i.e. that I should anticipate admission by May 2019), but I'm wondering whether to believe that, given what folks are saying on this forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

excelsior1

New

Post by excelsior1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 pm

yq63w wrote:Anyone else here applying for admission without examination (i.e. "waiving in" or "on motion")? It looks to me like most everyone commenting here had to sit for the New York bar exam.

I started the process in early November 2018 with the application to the Board of Law Examiners (just to certify that I had 5+ years experience, am a member of a bar with reciprocity, and went to an ABA-accredited school). BOLE certification took just over a week.

Then the 3rd Department required me to file an affidavit swearing to all the same facts that the BOLE already certified. (Plus that I'm older than 26. Is there anyone with 5+ years experience practicing law who isn't older than 26?) The 3rd Department took about 3 weeks to approve that and give me permission to file the real application.

I submitted the application on January 11, 2019 (the big one with education, employment history, references, certificates from my other bars, etc.). I got a form email on January 14, 2019 acknowledging receipt. I've heard nothing since then.

The Third Department web site says the whole process typically takes 4-6 months (i.e. that I should anticipate admission by May 2019), but I'm wondering whether to believe that, given what folks are saying on this forum.
I think 4-6 months is a good estimate for admission. Some posts here say that you typically receive an email in 8-10 weeks either stating you're good to go or if you need to submit additional documents. Then, you'll receive a schedule for interview and oath.

fordham_636

New

Post by fordham_636 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am

Any of the December people that posted above hear back yet?

bobloblaw123

New

Post by bobloblaw123 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:12 pm

fordham_636 wrote:Any of the December people that posted above hear back yet?
I have not heard back yet.

NYEsq

New

Post by NYEsq » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 am

Hello all,

I sat for the Feb 2018 exam. Submitted my application and recieved confirmation 1st week of Dec. Just heard back from them this Thursday Feb 27. So I guess the waiting time now is almost 3 months.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the response was for a clarification on two items on my application, so an interview date is not yet set. I responded next day and now waiting for them to let me know if they need more info. :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:43 am

I took the July 2018 exam and received confirmation late December. I recently sent them an e-mail and was told that scheduling for March is closed, and It was unlikely that I would be scheduled before May.

Hope this gives an idea

wendykr

New

Post by wendykr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:38 pm

1. When did you pass the bar exam? July 2018.
2. When did you submit your application? Before Christmas.

jurassicpark07

New

Post by jurassicpark07 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:10 pm

1. When did you pass the bar exam? July 2018.
2. When did you submit your application? Dec 17.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I submitted on Nov 1 last year. I heard back in early February and had to amend/file a few further forms. A week after I amended, I was given an April 25 interview/swearing in date. Took a while but got there eventually!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”