NY Third Department Admissions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bobloblaw123

New

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by bobloblaw123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm

I recently contacted them, and they said they were reviewing applications submitted in December.

Courtney123

New

Third Department admission 2019

Post by Courtney123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 pm

I sent in my paperwork in December and received a confirmation that it was received the next day. I still haven’t heard back about a swearing in date and can’t get in touch with anyone when I call. Is anyone else experiencing this?? (Third department of ny admission)

bobloblaw123

New

Re: Third Department admission 2019

Post by bobloblaw123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Courtney123 wrote:I sent in my paperwork in December and received a confirmation that it was received the next day. I still haven’t heard back about a swearing in date and can’t get in touch with anyone when I call. Is anyone else experiencing this?? (Third department of ny admission)
Maybe try emailing them?

BerkeleyLLMNY

New

Post by BerkeleyLLMNY » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 am

It's been more than 12 weeks and no feedback from 3rd department. Are they checking one application per day?

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 pm

For requesting your lifetime driving record from the NY DMV, does anyone know if you can attach a photo of your passport? I don't have my NY License anymore although it's still active online apparently (I moved to CA). I don't want to order a new one I won't use just so I can get my lifetime driving record lol. The application says "driver's license or other government issued ID" so I think that should be fine but idk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yutang1988

New

Post by yutang1988 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:52 am

I've submitted my application in Jan 2019 and received confirmation the next day. Wonder is there anyone applied in Jan heard of any feedback for interview date?

yq63w

New

Post by yq63w » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:40 pm

yutang1988 wrote:I've submitted my application in Jan 2019 and received confirmation the next day. Wonder is there anyone applied in Jan heard of any feedback for interview date?
My application was submitted on January 11 and I received the standard acknowledgment by email on January 14, 2019. I've heard nothing further about an interview date.

Your mileage may vary. Mine is an application for admission on motion. In my case, if they're actually checking references going back as far as my original California bar admission in 1996, it could take a while longer.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I just recently submitted. Hoping there's some small chance I'll get sworn in end of June...

fordham_636

New

Post by fordham_636 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 am

I'm getting super anxious because I've waited over 3 months now. Can those who submitted their application in December 2018 please provide any updates? If you've heard back, when did you apply/when did you take the bar? If you submitted in December and have only received the confirmation of receipt e-mail, can you please share any info regarding attempts to get any specific update from the third department. This is starting to get ridiculous, especially in light of the fact that one of my friends in the 2nd department submitted his application in late February of this year, and already has a set swearing in date for this month. Any update or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FPBT

New

Post by FPBT » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 am

I submitted in early February and received an email acknowledgment within 2 days. Haven’t heard anything since. Folks who submitted in December/January, will really appreciate an update on your status. This has been a good test of patience. Also, I took the July 2018 bar.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:03 pm

So are there two e-mails, one you get that they received your application, and a second when they get to it and tell you whether it's complete or not. Or do they not send a second e-mail telling you it's complete?

bobloblaw123

New

Post by bobloblaw123 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:So are there two e-mails, one you get that they received your application, and a second when they get to it and tell you whether it's complete or not. Or do they not send a second e-mail telling you it's complete?
I submitted in December. They recently contacted me to ask for additional information.

Waitingpatiently

New

Post by Waitingpatiently » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:26 pm

I submitted my application in mid-January, and sat for the bar exam in July 2018. I called and was told that they are working through the backload of applications, and are reviewing applications submitted in December.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

I took the July 2018 exam and submitted my application around Christmas. They e-mail me for some additional info on April 4. I submitted those this week, and now waiting.

auslawyer

New

Post by auslawyer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 pm

1. When did you pass the bar exam? February 2018
2. When did you submit your application? May 2018
3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application? Yes
4. When were you assigned an interviewer? My interview date was assigned in July 2018. Interview and admission was on the same day - in November 2018

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:14 pm

deacon wrote:I took the July 2018 exam and submitted my application around Christmas. They e-mail me for some additional info on April 4. I submitted those this week, and now waiting.
May I ask what sort of additional info they get in touch for? Seems like quite a few people are asked to amend/supplement

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:14 am

sg.cambs wrote:
deacon wrote:I took the July 2018 exam and submitted my application around Christmas. They e-mail me for some additional info on April 4. I submitted those this week, and now waiting.
May I ask what sort of additional info they get in touch for? Seems like quite a few people are asked to amend/supplement
I forgot to designate the Third Department as my agent. I have realized when they asked for the additional info, so it was a mistake on my end. What I didn't expect was that they also wanted me to clarify the pro-bono, specifically the duties that I performed. I have written a statement clarifying what I specifically did, using more "I" language.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FPBT

New

Post by FPBT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for the update guys. It seems since December applications are getting reviewed in April,so February applications won’t be reviewed atleast until May. Oh well, more waiting!

yq63w

New

Re: NY Third Department Admissions Updates Please

Post by yq63w » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:26 pm

DalRock wrote:Can everyone post their experiences and timeline of their past or current application at New York Third Judicial Department?

1. When did you pass the bar exam?
2. When did you submit your application?
3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application?
4. When were you assigned an interviewer?
5. Thoughts on the interview?
6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.?
7. Anyone not pass the interview stage?
8. When was the swearing in ceremony?
I applied on motion in January 2019 and just received my interview and admission dates:

1. When did you pass the bar exam? N/A. (I passed the California bar exam in July 1996 and didn't feel like taking another one.)

2. When did you submit your application? January 14, 2019 (the full application).I started the process on 11/7/2018 with my application for BOLE certification, received permission from the Third Department to file on 12/21/2018, and submitted the application on 1/10/2019.

3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application? No.

4. When were you assigned an interviewer? On April 19, 2019 I was notified that I will be interviewed on June 25 and sworn in on June 26, 2019.

5. Thoughts on the interview? N/A

6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.? No.

7. Anyone not pass the interview stage? N/A

8. When was the swearing in ceremony? June 26, 2019 in the Convention Center

Good luck, everyone!

excelsior1

New

Re: NY Third Department Admissions Updates Please

Post by excelsior1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

yq63w wrote:
DalRock wrote:Can everyone post their experiences and timeline of their past or current application at New York Third Judicial Department?

1. When did you pass the bar exam?
2. When did you submit your application?
3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application?
4. When were you assigned an interviewer?
5. Thoughts on the interview?
6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.?
7. Anyone not pass the interview stage?
8. When was the swearing in ceremony?
I applied on motion in January 2019 and just received my interview and admission dates:

1. When did you pass the bar exam? N/A. (I passed the California bar exam in July 1996 and didn't feel like taking another one.)

2. When did you submit your application? January 14, 2019 (the full application).I started the process on 11/7/2018 with my application for BOLE certification, received permission from the Third Department to file on 12/21/2018, and submitted the application on 1/10/2019.

3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application? No.

4. When were you assigned an interviewer? On April 19, 2019 I was notified that I will be interviewed on June 25 and sworn in on June 26, 2019.

5. Thoughts on the interview? N/A

6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.? No.

7. Anyone not pass the interview stage? N/A

8. When was the swearing in ceremony? June 26, 2019 in the Convention Center

Good luck, everyone!
So it seems they're on January apps already. Submitted mine last Feb.

New

Post by 98765 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:43 pm

Does anyone know if the process is faster for those transferring UBE scores than for those who sat for the NY Bar (since another state has already approved of your character)? I'm transferring from NJ. Albany received my documents 3 weeks ago and i'm hoping to be sworn in before September. What are my chances looking like?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yq63w

New

Post by yq63w » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:04 pm

98765 wrote:Does anyone know if the process is faster for those transferring UBE scores than for those who sat for the NY Bar (since another state has already approved of your character)? I'm transferring from NJ. Albany received my documents 3 weeks ago and i'm hoping to be sworn in before September. What are my chances looking like?
All I can tell you is that New York is having me go through the entire character & fitness process even though I had just completed the character & fitness process for DC a few weeks previously. (My original bar admission is California, so I got admitted in DC to become eligible for reciprocity with New York. I started my NY application the day after I was sworn in to the DC bar.)

excelsior1

New

Post by excelsior1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Feb 2019 results are out. It seems we'll be expecting more delays since they will prioritize the new passers to take oath in June. :(

RandyMarsh

New

Post by RandyMarsh » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:43 am

excelsior1 wrote:Feb 2019 results are out. It seems we'll be expecting more delays since they will prioritize the new passers to take oath in June. :(

Is this how it actually works - in terms of priority ? Or is this an assumption?

luluohno

New

Post by luluohno » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Just passed in Feb.
My question is, Do I need to send the skills competency affidavit?
I'm JD student graduated in 2017 and I presume the skill competency rule only applies to those who graduated this yr.
Just want to double check cause I'm back to my home country now and need to make sure all materials are OK.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”