NY Third Department Admissions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bda

New

NY Third Department Admissions

Post by bda » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Is anyone else in the New York 3rd Dep. for admissions?

I submitted my application 2 weeks ago (received email confirmation of receipt Dec. 5). Got an email that they received my application Dec. 7.

Any idea when I should be receiving any more information about my interview and admission date? I'm curious if I made the deadline for 1/18 or have to wait until Feb.

PersistentAttorney

Bronze

Re: NY Third Department Admissions

Post by PersistentAttorney » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:06 am

bda wrote:Is anyone else in the New York 3rd Dep. for admissions?

I submitted my application 2 weeks ago (received email confirmation of receipt Dec. 5). Got an email that they received my application Dec. 7.

Any idea when I should be receiving any more information about my interview and admission date? I'm curious if I made the deadline for 1/18 or have to wait until Feb.

They received mine on Nov 20th and said they need 8-10 weeks to process it... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Probably Feb...

bda

New

Post by bda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

PersistentAttorney wrote:

They received mine on Nov 20th and said they need 8-10 weeks to process it... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Probably Feb...
Interesting. I work with someone who got the email that they received his around 11/23 and he got his admission date last Friday.

PersistentAttorney

Bronze

Post by PersistentAttorney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 am

bda wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:

Probably Feb...
Interesting. I work with someone who got the email that they received his around 11/23 and he got his admission date last Friday.
I called the 3rd department and I was told that they give priority to applications that passed the July exam over others that passed earlier. This is ridiculous. :x :x :x :x

I was told that I will get an invitation probably by February and my actual interview will be on March or April!! WTF???

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 am

Is anyone still here? Do you guys have any news?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

annaedwards

New

Post by annaedwards » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Dec 12: confirmation email they received my application
Feb 9: Email that my interview and ceremony date would be in May.

tigress12

New

Post by tigress12 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Has anyone heard any news lately? Wondering if all the June swearing in spots have been taken...

bellalove23

New

Post by bellalove23 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 am

tigress12 wrote:Has anyone heard any news lately? Wondering if all the June swearing in spots have been taken...

Same here. Any indication on current turnaround time?

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:40 am

In the law-related employment affidavit, the "if terminated how and why" question only applies if you were fired, correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inyoureyes89

New

Post by inyoureyes89 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 pm

I mailed my app in the first week of April; I got the email that they had received it a week later.

Just my swearing in/interview date for August.

cowardltd

New

Post by cowardltd » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:06 pm

Anyone sending their application recently got scheduled for an interview already?
I'm still waiting for my certification letter and I really want to do the formality thing in July or August. :?

meat tornado

New

Post by meat tornado » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Just found out that I passed the February 2018 bar. My completed application was received on April 12, and I just forwarded my notice of certification. Do you think they will consider me for a summer date? My letter assigning me to the Third Dept. said that we could be considered for June if we submitted by May 17, but I'm afraid that the June date is already full

cowardltd

New

Post by cowardltd » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:18 am

meat tornado wrote:Just found out that I passed the February 2018 bar. My completed application was received on April 12, and I just forwarded my notice of certification. Do you think they will consider me for a summer date? My letter assigning me to the Third Dept. said that we could be considered for June if we submitted by May 17, but I'm afraid that the June date is already full
Did they mail the certification letter to your address or email it to you? I have been waiting for a week but the letter hasn't arrived yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IVChioco

New

Post by IVChioco » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm late to the party on this thread, but if it helps, I passed the July 2017 New York Bar and I submitted my character and fitness paperwork to the 3rd Department in November (so, a couple of weeks before the deadline in December). I heard back from them at the end of February that my paperwork was approved and that my admission ceremony is scheduled for this upcoming May. It's just a bit annoying that I'm having to wait until May even though I completed everything on time. I understand that New York has a ridiculous amount of applicants, but everything just seems to take so long. All of my friends in other states already have their licenses.

I'm a bit embarrassed to bring this up, but has anyone experienced trouble getting employment due to not having your license? I'm finishing up a post-graduate fellowship at a nonprofit in NYC and have been doing a few interviews here and there. Most places don't seem to mind that I haven't received my license, but a few employers have told me straight up that they won't hire me until I get sworn in.

cowardltd

New

Post by cowardltd » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:47 pm

IVChioco wrote:I'm late to the party on this thread, but if it helps, I passed the July 2017 New York Bar and I submitted my character and fitness paperwork to the 3rd Department in November (so, a couple of weeks before the deadline in December). I heard back from them at the end of February that my paperwork was approved and that my admission ceremony is scheduled for this upcoming May. It's just a bit annoying that I'm having to wait until May even though I completed everything on time. I understand that New York has a ridiculous amount of applicants, but everything just seems to take so long. All of my friends in other states already have their licenses.

I'm a bit embarrassed to bring this up, but has anyone experienced trouble getting employment due to not having your license? I'm finishing up a post-graduate fellowship at a nonprofit in NYC and have been doing a few interviews here and there. Most places don't seem to mind that I haven't received my license, but a few employers have told me straight up that they won't hire me until I get sworn in.
Oh that took terribly long....

onionhead

New

Post by onionhead » Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 pm

Are the interview date and the actual admission date usually on the same day?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am

Hey question regarding the employment affidavits. I don't want to bother any partners, and lots of HR people have left my old firms. Can I just have an old colleague (eg a lawyer who still works at my old firm but was just a peer, not a supervisor) swear the affidavit? In other words, does it have to be a supervisor, or can it just be another lawyer from the firm swearing that I used to work there?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rkreymer

Bronze

Post by rkreymer » Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 am

cowardltd wrote:
meat tornado wrote:Just found out that I passed the February 2018 bar. My completed application was received on April 12, and I just forwarded my notice of certification. Do you think they will consider me for a summer date? My letter assigning me to the Third Dept. said that we could be considered for June if we submitted by May 17, but I'm afraid that the June date is already full
Did they mail the certification letter to your address or email it to you? I have been waiting for a week but the letter hasn't arrived yet.
The certification letter is emailed.

Jack999

New

Post by Jack999 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:13 am

Does anyone know the process after an interview? I had an interview and got a certificate of admission today. I’m not sure if I need to do anything else other than attending the swearing in ceremony on Wednesday. I feel I was told something like mailing back the orange envelope that contained the certificate when I received it, but I was excited as I finished the interview and didn’t listen to the instructions carefully :|

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello,

I am in process of obtaining documents for admission. However, it says original affirmations of good character, original employment letters etc.

My employer is abroad, and I wonder if they accept scanned documents.

What does "original" mean exactly?

I would appreciate if anyone could help me

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm

deacon wrote:Hello,

I am in process of obtaining documents for admission. However, it says original affirmations of good character, original employment letters etc.

Hi there. Original means the piece of paper that was actually sworn/affirmed. I'm also from abroad (australia) and had to email the forms to my overseas affiants, who then had to swear them and mail them back to me. The whole process took a few months. You'll want to write them explanatory emails, and they'll also need to include explanations as to where the lawyers swearing the affidavits derive their power (unless they're notaries, in which case you don't need to do that). Anyway, I won't go into detail, but the point is it's a pain in the ass to coordinate from overseas!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Batibut

New

Post by Batibut » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi. Quick question, do you apply for certification or do you get that automatically after passing the NY UBE, NYLE and MPRE?

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Neilt001 wrote:

Hi there. Original means the piece of paper that was actually sworn/affirmed. I'm also from abroad (australia) and had to email the forms to my overseas affiants, who then had to swear them and mail them back to me. The whole process took a few months. You'll want to write them explanatory emails, and they'll also need to include explanations as to where the lawyers swearing the affidavits derive their power (unless they're notaries, in which case you don't need to do that). Anyway, I won't go into detail, but the point is it's a pain in the ass to coordinate from overseas!

Thank you very much. Your answers are always helpful!

I guess the good thing is that they do not ask for the moral character forms to be notarized anymore, as I haven't seen that section on the form. At least, it may help to proceed quicker.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 pm

deacon wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Thank you very much. Your answers are always helpful!

I guess the good thing is that they do not ask for the moral character forms to be notarized anymore, as I haven't seen that section on the form. At least, it may help to proceed quicker.
No problem!

Yeah from what I recall you don't need a notary public in a foreign country. Rather, you just need a lawyer who can show that they're legally allowed to swear affidavits. In my case, I had the lawyer sign a form saying they were allowed under whatever statute to swear affidavits. I then included a copy of the relevant statutory provision. It's a bit of a hassle but my friend did it that way and it worked.

Also luckily the pro bono form doesn't need to be sworn at all. Just signed.

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:17 pm

I've submitted my application to the Third Department on December 10. I have the tracking number, saying that it is delivered. Since then, i haven't heard anything from the admission office. I e-mailed them to see if they receive my application (hoping that they received but haven't processed). They say they haven't received. I am literally bummed, as you know it takes so much time to gather all this documents – especially when you are a foreign qualified lawyer.

I sent it to the express e-mail address, the USPS tracking information says it is delivered to Albany without giving other details. At this point, I am literally bummed, and I don't know what I should do.

Any advise is appreciated!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”