Tired of (failing) the California Bar Exam: I'm going federal. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supa_mitsu

New

Re: Tired of (failing) the California Bar Exam: I'm going federal.

Post by supa_mitsu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

maxmartin wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
horriblegb wrote:I dont really know anything about immigration, but yes I do work for the federal gov't
It sounds like the government is imposing some extra rules on its employees. From what I understand, this limit won't apply to indipendent lawyers. Not sure though, I haven't checked your source.
The issue is not entirely settled. You probably are fine to open a solo shop (I don't think you can) and practice administrative immigration matters. But once a disgruntled client or your competitors in the market complained to the bar, that would be a big headache for you.
Interesting. I've seen around immigration lawyers that opened a firm and are not licensed in CA. I wonder if they know what they are doing or are just risking it. I'm thinking about a popular lawyer in particular in Southern California... Oh well, let's hope to pass next time just to avoid an entirely new universe of headaches.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
horriblegb wrote:I dont really know anything about immigration, but yes I do work for the federal gov't
It sounds like the government is imposing some extra rules on its employees. From what I understand, this limit won't apply to indipendent lawyers. Not sure though, I haven't checked your source.
The issue is not entirely settled. You probably are fine to open a solo shop (I don't think you can) and practice administrative immigration matters. But once a disgruntled client or your competitors in the market complained to the bar, that would be a big headache for you.
Interesting. I've seen around immigration lawyers that opened a firm and are not licensed in CA. I wonder if they know what they are doing or are just risking it. I'm thinking about a popular lawyer in particular in Southern California... Oh well, let's hope to pass next time just to avoid an entirely new universe of headaches.
Are u sure that popular lawyer does not have any associates with CA licenses? If he is popular, he probably has associates.

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm

maxmartin wrote:Are u sure that popular lawyer does not have any associates with CA licenses? If he is popular, he probably has associates.
He doesn't have any partner but yes, he has associates licensed in CA. So that's all you need? An associate that passed the CA bar? I thought at least a partner... Sounds better already.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:
maxmartin wrote:Are u sure that popular lawyer does not have any associates with CA licenses? If he is popular, he probably has associates.
He doesn't have any partner but yes, he has associates licensed in CA. So that's all you need? An associate that passed the CA bar? I thought at least a partner... Sounds better already.
Yep, that is all you need from my limited understanding. He probably has that associate specifically for this purpose. LOL

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:After many attempts, I'm planning on passing the Bar Exam in an easier state (like Wisconsin) and then practice Federal Law (like immigration) in California. What do you think?
Don't be fooled by those arbitrary cut score! It really depends on how individual states grade the essay portion of the UBE. The passing rate of Oregon 79% overall (274 cut score) is higher than any 266 states. And you can practice on the border of CA and OR. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm

maxmartin wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:After many attempts, I'm planning on passing the Bar Exam in an easier state (like Wisconsin) and then practice Federal Law (like immigration) in California. What do you think?
Don't be fooled by those arbitrary cut score! It really depends on how individual states grade the essay portion of the UBE. The passing rate of Oregon 79% overall (274 cut score) is higher than any 266 states. And you can practice on the border of CA and OR. :mrgreen:
Oh interesting! Too bad I’m a foreign law student so Oregon won’t let me sit for the bar just with an LLM. At least since last time I checked. Good insight though, thank you!

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
So if you go to the CD Cal website it looks like it’s not a government lawyer requirement but an everyone requirement - you can’t be admitted to appear in federal district court there without a California bar number. That probably doesn’t apply in immigration court (don’t know about bankruptcy) so whether this would work for will depend on whether you have to appear in federal district court as well as immigration court.
And thank heavens for that. The quality of the lawyering in federal court is low enough without a sudden influx of people who can't even pass the bar.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
So if you go to the CD Cal website it looks like it’s not a government lawyer requirement but an everyone requirement - you can’t be admitted to appear in federal district court there without a California bar number. That probably doesn’t apply in immigration court (don’t know about bankruptcy) so whether this would work for will depend on whether you have to appear in federal district court as well as immigration court.
And thank heavens for that. The quality of the lawyering in federal court is low enough without a sudden influx of people who can't even pass the bar.
Dude, that is entirely unnecessary.

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
Luckily there is a standardized test that makes anybody who could beat it a good lawyer. That's why malpractice lawsuits, discipline, disbarmements, and lawyer jokes don't exist.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
You're not even mildly concerned that someone who can't pass the bar is trying to think of ways to get around requirements to represent actual clients who need real legal help?

Granted, the bar is a poor measure of lawyering skill. But it does show that someone can put in some work, in a high-pressure situation, with some minimal cognitive skill and come up with a decent result.

The notion that someone can't put together that minimal performance and is like, "nah I can still definitely successfully represent clients" is pretty galling.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:
You're not even mildly concerned that someone who can't pass the bar is trying to think of ways to get around requirements to represent actual clients who need real legal help?

Granted, the bar is a poor measure of lawyering skill. But it does show that someone can put in some work, in a high-pressure situation, with some minimal cognitive skill and come up with a decent result.

The notion that someone can't put together that minimal performance and is like, "nah I can still definitely successfully represent clients" is pretty galling.
Minimal performance and CA bar exam, LMAO. I guess in your mind half of the CA bar takers is retarded.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:45 pm

maxmartin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:

Minimal performance and CA bar exam, LMAO. I guess in your mind half of the CA bar takers is retarded.
No comment required.

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Agree with maxmartin. The bar exam just limits the access to the profession. It has nothing to do with being a lawyer. The only thing that proves is that you are able to pass the bar exam.

Being so much in favor of this artificial limitation shows either that you are a bully, a troll, or somebody who is already an attorney and wants less competition (which could arguably be considered “bully”).

If there was a more efficient (and mostly cheaper) way to measure minimum competency, I’m sure they would use it and wipe their asses with your beloved bar exam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:

1) I don’t think the bar is an especially good measure of lawyering ability, no.

2) this thread isn’t the place to have to that debate. Waltzing in and insulting the OP isn’t accomplishing anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”