I just found out I passed the CBX...on the 8th try Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

I just found out I passed the CBX...on the 8th try

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 am

I graduated law school in 2001. It's been a very long journey, but I have tears of joy right now. So happy.

jphiggo

Bronze

Re: I just found out I passed the CBX...on the 8th try

Post by jphiggo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:51 am

Congrats!

nervous_wreck

New

Post by nervous_wreck » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:11 am

You are an inspiration! Congrats!!!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:54 am

Absolutely awesome. Congrats!!

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Serious dedication. You deserve it! Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apm290

New

Post by apm290 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 am

6TimeFailure wrote:I graduated law school in 2001. It's been a very long journey, but I have tears of joy right now. So happy.
Congratulations beyond words!

LastTimePls

New

Post by LastTimePls » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 am

6Time, congrats to you! :D

I've seen your posts around the board here and have read about your struggles and am truly happy to hear that you've succeeded!!!!!

You've earned it! :)

I also just found out I passed on my 5th time. It's past 3 AM and I still can't sleep. Reading about your perseverance on the boards also helped me push through and keep going at it. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:53 am

You should probably change your username: CBXCHAMPION

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:45 am

Congratulations!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words everyone. I truly appreciate it and all the support I have received over the last couple of years on this forum.

I first took the exam in the Summer of 2001. I think I scored somewhere in the low 1300's. I was devastated. I had always passed all my law school exams with ease, sometimes not even studying. And my law school was known for flunking out 25% of the 1L's (3rd/4th tier ABA school in Manhattan NY...I think you can guess which one it is). So I thought I had it in the bag

I retook the exam in Winter 2002, Summer 2002, and Summer 2003. They were all half-hearted attempts. I was still depressed about not passing it the first time. During the following years I sort of gave up on passing the bar. I almost took the exam again in Winter 2009, but I cancelled my application. I came close to moving to Canada and becoming a "barrister" there.

Fast forward to 2015. I had a dream of being at my mom's death bed apologizing to her that I never passed the bar. My mom has always said she was already proud of me regardless of whether I passed or not. But I knew she hoped I would pass. Her father (my grandfather) was an attorney, and it was her dream to become one also. But she was a single-mom and recent immigrant to this country when I was born, so it never happened for her.

So I took the Winter 2015 and Summer 2015 exams. Again no dice. All my essays/PT were in the 50-60 range, and my MBE was around 125 raw. I then became aware of Adaptibar. That was a godsend for me, because on the Winter 2016 exam I scored around 150 raw. Of course, I did not pass the entire exam, but my high MBE gave me hope. And I learned the exam would change to a 2-day format with higher MBE weighting in a couple of years, so I decided to wait it out until the Summer 2017 exam. Thankfully, I got the good news last night.

I truly believe that Adaptibar coupled with the increased MBE weighting finally allowed me to pass the exam. Because I think a 60 score is my ceiling for the essays/PT.

As for my study habits, I focused on completing 50-100 Adaptibar questions per days. I missed a few days though. It was painful for me to write out practice essays/PT. I absolutely hated it. So if you can increase your MBE to the point of getting around 70% correct with 2000+ questions answered on Adaptibar, I think you are highly likely to pass this exam.

For repeaters, don't give up hope. If I had to do it again, I would not have taken all these years off. But then again, I did not know about Adaptibar previously, and the test only weighted the MBE 35% back then. So if you think you need to take some time off, it's not a fatal decision. I finally passed after 16 years. That's quite awhile.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Amazing story, 6Timer! Congrats again.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Congratulations! Great story of never giving up.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm

a male human wrote:Amazing story, 6Timer! Congrats again.
kellyfrost wrote:Congratulations! Great story of never giving up.

Thanks again for the kind words.

If there are any repeaters reading this thread, please let me be your inspiration in passing this exam. Feel free to ask me questions/support etc. Having gone through this, it brings me increased happiness to know that other similarly situated repeaters can do the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Congratulations! This is quite amazing!

J Eazy

New

Post by J Eazy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 pm

I just read through your "Just Failed CA Bar for the 6th Time" thread and this news is honestly amazing. Congratulations!

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 pm

congratulations!

Snowflake1

New

Post by Snowflake1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Great story. I am taking Feb for the second time. I did really well on the MBE, but failed all of the essays, so I will need a different approach to yours. I spent way too much time on the MBE. I think a balanced approach of half essays/half MBE practice is probably the best.

rairair55

New

Post by rairair55 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Congrats! I'm a 6 time failure myself lol. I took the CBX my very first try then moved back to MA where I went to law school to try and pass an easier exam (also more connections out here). No luck so far. But anyways, I've been there so I can only imagine how finally passing felt. All the best to you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”