A plea for help from a 7th failer (california) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
makethismylastbar27

New

A plea for help from a 7th failer (california)

Post by makethismylastbar27 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 am

Hello everyone,

I have failed the california bar exam for the 7th time. I refuse to give up and block out the negative energy.

I am asking and begging someone who can tutor me. I have rent and living expenses to pay so if anyone can help for a small amount, please do let me know. Please think of it as good karma

I know I can do this. I really need guidance. Please inbox me.

Thank you

nervous_wreck

New

Re: A plea for help from a 7th failer (california)

Post by nervous_wreck » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 am

Is the problem the essays, mbe or both?

And have you tried all the commercial courses?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:52 am

makethismylastbar27 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have failed the california bar exam for the 7th time. I refuse to give up and block out the negative energy.

I am asking and begging someone who can tutor me. I have rent and living expenses to pay so if anyone can help for a small amount, please do let me know. Please think of it as good karma

Thank you

I was in your shoes...for the past 16 years. I know the pain.

A few minutes ago I found out I just passed the CBX. I actually had no confidence that I passed, and had already started studying for the Feb 18 exam. My best advice is to enroll in Adaptibar and prepare yourself to do 2000+ questions (about 50 to 100 questions per day over 2 to 3 months). PM me with your email address if you would like a discount code and/or some other support info. Don't give up hope.

apm290

New

Post by apm290 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 am

Thank you

Where are you in Cali? I am sure there are plenty of bar passers in CA who understand and are willing to help. I am in Davis, have taken 2 state bar exams, and would be happy to help! Just found out I passed in CA, recently moved from NYC and am licensed to practice in NY as well.

makethismylastbar27

New

Post by makethismylastbar27 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 am

I am in Orange County.
apm290 wrote:

Thank you

Where are you in Cali? I am sure there are plenty of bar passers in CA who understand and are willing to help. I am in Davis, have taken 2 state bar exams, and would be happy to help! Just found out I passed in CA, recently moved from NYC and am licensed to practice in NY as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Orion119

New

Post by Orion119 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 am

I just created an account to respond to this. I can't imagine what you're going through. I'm so sorry. There is hope however. I took a very unique approach to passing this exam because I thought the commercial courses were too detailed in some aspects, and yet too vague in others. I've since helped several people pass. To get a passing score, you must hands down do the following:

Sing up for a commercial course. Use the schedule to stay on track, but do not watch lectures. Waste of time. Read the pertinent outline instead, but don't go crazy, you'll learn from doing. Fill your saved time with the following activities:

1) Complete 2000+ MBE questions. Adapitabar or themis questions will do. The others are useful for learning the law, but not for taking the test. Before you start, buy a notebook, and write down the correct rule of law, or your own memory device for every question you miss (something like: "you're only strictly liable for the harm of wild animals if the harm caused was connected to a foreseeable outcome of having that wild animal."). Only do questions in 20 block increments otherwise you'll forget the question details and get fatigued by the time you get the correct answer. Review your notebook of "rules" every day before you take your next round of MBE's, eventually it will begin to stick, and every morning you'll see a pattern of the kinds of questions you miss. You must achieve a 70% overall passage rate by the time you approach the bar.

2) Buy the critical pass flashcards and review two subject areas a day. Review seriously without distraction, take it in, note things you tend to miss. After 8 weeks you should have these down fairly well.

3) Go to: https://www.smartbarprep.com/ca-essayanalysis/ and sign up. You get a free .pdf of all the essay subjects tested by California from most to less frequent. Identify the top thirteen in each category and type a paragraph "rule of law" response for each subject area. Staple these paragraphs to your top thirteen list for each subject. This sounds like a lot of work, it is, but should only take you three to four days, and it will reinforce your MBE knowledge, as well as give you a birds eye view on the exam. Once finished, pick two subjects a day to review, and then write responses to old CA essay questions. Time yourself, compare to the model answers, and be very honest/critical. If your response is not a contender with the model answer, you blew it. Learn from the experience. Augment your materials as needed. by the end of eight weeks you should be able to write about nearly anything, and confidently, in any subject. You need to write at least 40 essays. California is also predictable, you therefore need to be able to murder 1) PR, 2) Contracts, 3) Remedies, 4) Community Property, 5) Evidence, and 6) Civil Procedure, in that order. Be able to write about all and everything in those subject areas. Make certain you are doing IRAC. Some people can pull off CRAC, but I find this method causes most to veer off track and provide poor analysis.

4) Do at least five timed PT's. Everyone hates these. But you simply need to practice. Some people are also a little slow on these, myself included. I therefore recommend you skip straight to the PT on the bar and spend 1.45 hours on it. Get it right, make it look nice, and make sure it uses all the facts and law from the prompt. Also, don't spend 45 minutes outlining then writing, for me that recommendation was absurd. Read the materials, take ten minutes to consider what you need to say, and just start writing. As you work through the problem you'll realize some things and can change them as you go along. The time you spend here you'll make up on the normal essay questions because you know them so well by this point. This is a great opportunity to crush most of your peers and make up points.

Some people might say this is all unnecessary, or too much. That might be correct for them, but YOU have failed many times. This means you have blind spot somewhere in this process. It might have nothing to do with your intelligence, or you ability to practice law, but it does mean you are not good at improvising when unexpected questions are thrown your way. YOU MUST THEREFORE come to the Bar knowing and having practiced more than almost anyone else. YOU MUST LEARN IT ALL. This is the attitude you must bring to this test.

If you want any more info, fell free to PM me.

Good luck in February!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:34 am

All good advice right here.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 pm

What are your scores like? Are you changing your approach? What do you think you're struggling with specifically?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”