2018 February CA Bar

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
SDChargers wrote:Two Questions

1. MBEs
I didn't pass the first round because I didn't get to finish the MBE questions, about 15 on first set (before break) and 10 on last set were bubbled in. I have been doing about 25-50 MBE questions a Day. When I do them in small portions, my timing is not too bad, I am averaging at between 2:00mins to 2:25min per question at the moment. I did a 100 MBE set and my timing was terrible! 3hrs and 19minutes.
Any helpful hints on how to improve my timing? I know by doing my more I am improving my stamina but I find myself constantly re-reading because I loose focus so easily after doing a few.

2. Essay Analysis
Does anyone have "Formulas" for analysis? I find myself pausing often because I cannot find the right words to use or how to properly apply the facts to the rule. I remember seeing a Formula that looked something like this: [Here, _________(Buzzword)________ legal facts]? I could've mixed the order.

Any help is appreciated.

Also if anyone needs any outlines or quick study aids I'd be happy to send them over.



Regarding the MBE, I feel that too many examinees might be relying on the 1.8 minute rule too much. If you do every question at 1.8 minutes, then you will finish the exam right at the time deadline, which does not give you any wiggle room.

I suggest aiming for a maximum <1 minute completion time for the "easy" questions, and 1.5 minutes for the "medium questions". This will give you more time for the harder ones. It's my belief that you can only go over the 3 minute mark on 3 to 5 questions per 100. Any more than that and you start creeping into the danger zone.

This is interesting. How would you suggest determining which questions are easy, medium, or hard? If there were a way to see this quickly, these could be good benchmarks.

If I could add a suggestion, keeping time in terms of a group of questions would be easier to track under pressure. For example, every 30 minutes, you should have completed at least 17 questions. Surely the 17 questions have easy and hard questions mixed in to account for the variation and stay close to the 1.8/Q average. (Alternatively 34 Q per hour)

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 pm

a male human wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
SDChargers wrote:Two Questions

1. MBEs
I didn't pass the first round because I didn't get to finish the MBE questions, about 15 on first set (before break) and 10 on last set were bubbled in. I have been doing about 25-50 MBE questions a Day. When I do them in small portions, my timing is not too bad, I am averaging at between 2:00mins to 2:25min per question at the moment. I did a 100 MBE set and my timing was terrible! 3hrs and 19minutes.
Any helpful hints on how to improve my timing? I know by doing my more I am improving my stamina but I find myself constantly re-reading because I loose focus so easily after doing a few.

2. Essay Analysis
Does anyone have "Formulas" for analysis? I find myself pausing often because I cannot find the right words to use or how to properly apply the facts to the rule. I remember seeing a Formula that looked something like this: [Here, _________(Buzzword)________ legal facts]? I could've mixed the order.

Any help is appreciated.

Also if anyone needs any outlines or quick study aids I'd be happy to send them over.



Regarding the MBE, I feel that too many examinees might be relying on the 1.8 minute rule too much. If you do every question at 1.8 minutes, then you will finish the exam right at the time deadline, which does not give you any wiggle room.

I suggest aiming for a maximum <1 minute completion time for the "easy" questions, and 1.5 minutes for the "medium questions". This will give you more time for the harder ones. It's my belief that you can only go over the 3 minute mark on 3 to 5 questions per 100. Any more than that and you start creeping into the danger zone.

This is interesting. How would you suggest determining which questions are easy, medium, or hard? If there were a way to see this quickly, these could be good benchmarks.

If I could add a suggestion, keeping time in terms of a group of questions would be easier to track under pressure. For example, every 30 minutes, you should have completed at least 17 questions. Surely the 17 questions have easy and hard questions mixed in to account for the variation and stay close to the 1.8/Q average. (Alternatively 34 Q per hour)



I determined the "easy questions" by reviewing the statistics on Adaptibar. For each question, Adaptibar has a sidebar that shows the percent of users that answered correctly, and the average time it took to answer the question. Some questions had <10% success rate...those are obviously the hard ones. Other questions had a >80% success rate which means they were the easier ones.

bacillusanthracis
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I determined the "easy questions" by reviewing the statistics on Adaptibar. For each question, Adaptibar has a sidebar that shows the percent of users that answered correctly, and the average time it took to answer the question. Some questions had <10% success rate...those are obviously the hard ones. Other questions had a >80% success rate which means they were the easier ones.


Say on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being most difficult, it seems to me that Adaptibar contains mostly 2's and 3's with a smattering of 4's and 5's. I used the hell out of Adaptibar last time (2200+ questions), but when I sat for the actual MBE, I was clueless about most of what I saw (except, oddly enough, Civ Pro 69.9%).

At any rate, the actual MBE was, according to my perception at the time, several magnitudes of difficulty greater than Adaptibar.

I don't know that that's factually the case. It could have been severe fatigue combined with the stress of "what the fuck is this???" But I was so lost on the bar relative to the amount of preparation I thought I'd done.

I'm using Adaptibar again, but only as a supplement. I'm finding the Barbri questions to be more at the level of what I saw on the actual MBE. And my practice scores bear that out. Today on Adaptibar (because I'm tired and lazy), using the entirety of the 7 MBE subjects, I was 41/50.

Yesterday for just an 18 question all-Torts quiz in the Barbri book, I was 9/18.

Be wary of Adaptibar.

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I determined the "easy questions" by reviewing the statistics on Adaptibar. For each question, Adaptibar has a sidebar that shows the percent of users that answered correctly, and the average time it took to answer the question. Some questions had <10% success rate...those are obviously the hard ones. Other questions had a >80% success rate which means they were the easier ones.


Say on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being most difficult, it seems to me that Adaptibar contains mostly 2's and 3's with a smattering of 4's and 5's. I used the hell out of Adaptibar last time (2200+ questions), but when I sat for the actual MBE, I was clueless about most of what I saw (except, oddly enough, Civ Pro 69.9%).

At any rate, the actual MBE was, according to my perception at the time, several magnitudes of difficulty greater than Adaptibar.

I don't know that that's factually the case. It could have been severe fatigue combined with the stress of "what the fuck is this???" But I was so lost on the bar relative to the amount of preparation I thought I'd done.

I'm using Adaptibar again, but only as a supplement. I'm finding the Barbri questions to be more at the level of what I saw on the actual MBE. And my practice scores bear that out. Today on Adaptibar (because I'm tired and lazy), using the entirety of the 7 MBE subjects, I was 41/50.

Yesterday for just an 18 question all-Torts quiz in the Barbri book, I was 9/18.

Be wary of Adaptibar.



I felt exactly the same way walking out of the test center last July 2017. "What the fuck was that" .

But I think literally everyone felt that way.

I ended up with at least a 150 scaled score (160 scaled score by my unscientific estimation), so I think even the above average scorers felt that way.

Snowflake1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Snowflake1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I determined the "easy questions" by reviewing the statistics on Adaptibar. For each question, Adaptibar has a sidebar that shows the percent of users that answered correctly, and the average time it took to answer the question. Some questions had <10% success rate...those are obviously the hard ones. Other questions had a >80% success rate which means they were the easier ones.


Say on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being most difficult, it seems to me that Adaptibar contains mostly 2's and 3's with a smattering of 4's and 5's. I used the hell out of Adaptibar last time (2200+ questions), but when I sat for the actual MBE, I was clueless about most of what I saw (except, oddly enough, Civ Pro 69.9%).

At any rate, the actual MBE was, according to my perception at the time, several magnitudes of difficulty greater than Adaptibar.

I don't know that that's factually the case. It could have been severe fatigue combined with the stress of "what the fuck is this???" But I was so lost on the bar relative to the amount of preparation I thought I'd done.

I'm using Adaptibar again, but only as a supplement. I'm finding the Barbri questions to be more at the level of what I saw on the actual MBE. And my practice scores bear that out. Today on Adaptibar (because I'm tired and lazy), using the entirety of the 7 MBE subjects, I was 41/50.

Yesterday for just an 18 question all-Torts quiz in the Barbri book, I was 9/18.

Be wary of Adaptibar.



I felt exactly the same way walking out of the test center last July 2017. "What the fuck was that" .

But I think literally everyone felt that way.

I ended up with at least a 150 scaled score (160 scaled score by my unscientific estimation), so I think even the above average scorers felt that way.


I felt that way too and got over 1500 on the MBE.

HND
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby HND » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 pm

About adaptibar I have been hearing that a lot from people that they did extremely well and then it was nothing compared to the actual bar exam or even compared to barbri mbe practice... what confuses me is that adaptibar questions are supposed to be real bar questions.

I have not used adaptibar but have used bar max and am using bar max for mbe practice because it too is like adaptibar where it tells you nice analytics of how well you're doing per subject/ time etc.

Maybe the bar examiners are just changing the question style? and if so, how the hell are we supposed to adequately prepare for it?!

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:36 pm

HND wrote:About adaptibar I have been hearing that a lot from people that they did extremely well and then it was nothing compared to the actual bar exam or even compared to barbri mbe practice... what confuses me is that adaptibar questions are supposed to be real bar questions.

I have not used adaptibar but have used bar max and am using bar max for mbe practice because it too is like adaptibar where it tells you nice analytics of how well you're doing per subject/ time etc.

Maybe the bar examiners are just changing the question style? and if so, how the hell are we supposed to adequately prepare for it?!

I would assume the examiners know about the released questions and design around them. Mixing up real questions with a few of the other styles of questions (Barbri, Kaplan, etc.) may help you get used to the unpredictable nature of the actual MBE.

HND
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby HND » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 pm

a male human wrote:
HND wrote:About adaptibar I have been hearing that a lot from people that they did extremely well and then it was nothing compared to the actual bar exam or even compared to barbri mbe practice... what confuses me is that adaptibar questions are supposed to be real bar questions.

I have not used adaptibar but have used bar max and am using bar max for mbe practice because it too is like adaptibar where it tells you nice analytics of how well you're doing per subject/ time etc.

Maybe the bar examiners are just changing the question style? and if so, how the hell are we supposed to adequately prepare for it?!

I would assume the examiners know about the released questions and design around them. Mixing up real questions with a few of the other styles of questions (Barbri, Kaplan, etc.) may help you get used to the unpredictable nature of the actual MBE.



I will definitely try and find time to add in some practice of barbri and kaplan for more exposure ....I bombed the mbes last bar :cry:

justanotheruser
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby justanotheruser » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:24 pm

HND wrote:About adaptibar I have been hearing that a lot from people that they did extremely well and then it was nothing compared to the actual bar exam or even compared to barbri mbe practice... what confuses me is that adaptibar questions are supposed to be real bar questions.

I have not used adaptibar but have used bar max and am using bar max for mbe practice because it too is like adaptibar where it tells you nice analytics of how well you're doing per subject/ time etc.

Maybe the bar examiners are just changing the question style? and if so, how the hell are we supposed to adequately prepare for it?!


Obviously different strokes for different people, but I thought Adaptibar was fine for me. I averaged 73% over 1000 questions. When the actual MBEs came around last July, I was tired by the end of the day but I wasn't shell-shocked. I ended up getting a scaled score of 1500, which was what I was hoping/aiming for.

bacillusanthracis
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:50 pm

HND wrote:About adaptibar I have been hearing that a lot from people that they did extremely well and then it was nothing compared to the actual bar exam or even compared to barbri mbe practice... what confuses me is that adaptibar questions are supposed to be real bar questions.


That was precisely my experience. My thinking (and explicitly stated) was "fuck Barbri." Why do those when I have access to actual bar exam questions?" It made perfect sense that I should be practicing what I would actually be facing on the exam.

But the MBE was nothing like what I'd practiced on Adaptibar.

I think what Barbri does is expose you to a much larger variety of topics and concepts and in a much more challenging way than what you'll find on Adaptibar, and oddly enough, the MBE itself. I think Adaptibar's library (or whatever it's called) is full of less difficult questions.

I'm still using Adaptibar, but only as a way to keep concepts fresh. I'll do 20 or so at the end of every day. I'm at about 60% on Barbri. On adaptibar I'm 83% over the last two weeks, which is where I was before taking the bar back in July. But I now know better than to trust that Adaptibar score.

And I do think the examiners know what's on Adaptibar and scheme around it.

Some people have used it to great success. And to be fair, I'll admit they're probably a helluva lot smarter than I am.

onlyoncemore
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby onlyoncemore » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:56 pm

lololol I don't understand how Property was my best subject the first time around.
I'm like wtf-ing every other question right now. I haven't calculated today but I'm sure my % is around 50%...

Side note to comment on the MBE vs. Adaptibar discussion.
I didn't take Adaptibar the first time around so I can't comment on that. I did Kaplan the first time. Kaplan is supposed to be a real good MBE prepping bar company - the best one according to their reps, their stats, past graduates, stories online... but guess what, I felt the same way after the MBE's even after doing Kaplan Questions. I came out of the MBE's feeling like WTH DID I JUST SEE?! My other Kaplan *AND* Barbri friends felt the same way. So... not exactly sure where I was going with this... but I guess the point is, each bar prep company/book is just a tool. The most important thing to know is the actual BLL and especially the ones CA likes to test the most/in most detail, like torts/contract (fuck me), and practice as many questions of all types you can get your hands on to hit the topic at all angles possible as much as possible before the actual test.

The big thing for me is trying not to care too much about how many I get wrong/right each day... ugh.


30 DAYS UNTIL BAR EXAM.
LET'S GO!

YuckNotTheBar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:17 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby YuckNotTheBar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:lololol I don't understand how Property was my best subject the first time around.
I'm like wtf-ing every other question right now. I haven't calculated today but I'm sure my % is around 50%...

Side note to comment on the MBE vs. Adaptibar discussion.
I didn't take Adaptibar the first time around so I can't comment on that. I did Kaplan the first time. Kaplan is supposed to be a real good MBE prepping bar company - the best one according to their reps, their stats, past graduates, stories online... but guess what, I felt the same way after the MBE's even after doing Kaplan Questions. I came out of the MBE's feeling like WTH DID I JUST SEE?! My other Kaplan *AND* Barbri friends felt the same way. So... not exactly sure where I was going with this... but I guess the point is, each bar prep company/book is just a tool. The most important thing to know is the actual BLL and especially the ones CA likes to test the most/in most detail, like torts/contract (fuck me), and practice as many questions of all types you can get your hands on to hit the topic at all angles possible as much as possible before the actual test.

The big thing for me is trying not to care too much about how many I get wrong/right each day... ugh.


30 DAYS UNTIL BAR EXAM.
LET'S GO!


I wish this enthusiasm were infectious. I am stressed, burned out, and ready for this to be over, while simultaneously cursing that there is not enough time left!

bacillusanthracis
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 pm

YuckNotTheBar wrote:I wish this enthusiasm were infectious. I am stressed, burned out, and ready for this to be over, while simultaneously cursing that there is not enough time left!


Have you tried taking a day off?

I know, some people will say you can't afford to, but it makes so much of a difference for me. About every 6 days or so, I have to take a day off. Otherwise, I don't retain anything and my practice scores just go to hell. It's bad for learning, bad for retaining, and bad for confidence.

At the end of my last 6-7 period of study, I scored about 33% on a practice MBE test. I said fuck it and took off the next day. I come back the next day and in the exact same topics I was at 77% (real property, contracts, and civ pro).

The brain is like a muscle in that yes, it does need to be exercised, but if you don't rest it, it's eventually going to collapse.

kc128
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby kc128 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:34 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
YuckNotTheBar wrote:I wish this enthusiasm were infectious. I am stressed, burned out, and ready for this to be over, while simultaneously cursing that there is not enough time left!


Have you tried taking a day off?

I know, some people will say you can't afford to, but it makes so much of a difference for me. About every 6 days or so, I have to take a day off. Otherwise, I don't retain anything and my practice scores just go to hell. It's bad for learning, bad for retaining, and bad for confidence.

At the end of my last 6-7 period of study, I scored about 33% on a practice MBE test. I said fuck it and took off the next day. I come back the next day and in the exact same topics I was at 77% (real property, contracts, and civ pro).

The brain is like a muscle in that yes, it does need to be exercised, but if you don't rest it, it's eventually going to collapse.


This is beyond accurate.

onlyoncemore
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby onlyoncemore » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 pm

YuckNotTheBar wrote:.....

I wish this enthusiasm were infectious. I am stressed, burned out, and ready for this to be over, while simultaneously cursing that there is not enough time left!



I doubly echo what bacillusanthracis has said about taking a day off.
And I am definitely not this enthusiastic everyday. Like today - I am definitely with you. Fuck this all. I would throw my books, but I'm at the library so I have to look at least civil...

needbreak
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby needbreak » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

I keep hearing that con law is due and that is may be tested in Feb 2018. What do you guys think? What about real property? Is that due as well?

Pema
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Pema » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:16 pm

What is the % weight of each individual essay and the PT? thanks.

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Pema wrote:What is the % weight of each individual essay and the PT? thanks.



PT = 17%
Each essay = 6.6% (5 total essays = 33%)

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm

I calculated it a little differently based on essays being 500 out of 700 points on the written portion:

Image

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm

a male human wrote:I calculated it a little differently based on essays being 500 out of 700 points on the written portion:

Image



This is probably more accurate than my previous post.

Pema
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Pema » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Thank you for the % chart.

PorscheFanatic
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Having a good day... 2 days ago I finished learning MBE topics, so now all of my Adaptibar practice from here forward is cumulative with all topics (aside from smaller targeted sets focusing on weak topics).

My worst subjects as of a cumulative practice Q set 2 days ago were Civ Pro and Property (33% and 50% respectively), where my total cumulative for the day across all subjects was right at 60%.

Targeted those 2 topics yesterday with a short 30 question set and got 60%. 20 questions done so far today on those 2 topics and I'm at 85%. Going back to some cumulative MBEs tomorrow and hoping my overall will improve so I can target any additional/new relative weaknesses.

Still scared shitless about the essays, but at least today is a good day. Assuming that means a mental breakdown is somewhere to follow before the end of the week lol.
Last edited by PorscheFanatic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bacillusanthracis
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

needbreak wrote:I keep hearing that con law is due and that is may be tested in Feb 2018. What do you guys think? What about real property? Is that due as well?


I'm hedging my bets by doing a lot of conlaw, real property, crim/pro and contracts essays. With that in mind, remedies is a big deal too. I'll cop to slacking on both evidence and civ pro though. But civ pro has often been tested two exams in a row, so I need to get on that.

Anyway, yeah, it seems a good bet conlaw will be on the february exam because it's now been two full cycles since they tested it.

justanotheruser
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby justanotheruser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:57 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
needbreak wrote:I keep hearing that con law is due and that is may be tested in Feb 2018. What do you guys think? What about real property? Is that due as well?


I'm hedging my bets by doing a lot of conlaw, real property, crim/pro and contracts essays. With that in mind, remedies is a big deal too. I'll cop to slacking on both evidence and civ pro though. But civ pro has often been tested two exams in a row, so I need to get on that.

Anyway, yeah, it seems a good bet conlaw will be on the february exam because it's now been two full cycles since they tested it.


I'm trying to do at least a few essays on every topic (except Community Property), but I have tiers of priority...

High priority: Wills/Trusts, Evidence, Remedies, PR, Business Associations, Con Law
Medium priority: Property, Crimes (I really think we're gonna get homicide next month), Contracts
Low priority Civ Pro, Torts (everything except negligence)

PorscheFanatic
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:00 pm

What's the reasoning for no Community Property essays?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests