2018 February CA Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
onlyoncemore

New

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Post by onlyoncemore » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm

not much to see. just another one of Onlyoncemore's daily meltdown.
[+] Spoiler
FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

I did an adaptibar practice test and average dropped to 58%
Did a custom practice test of 100 questions. Given that I selected to focus on my weaker areas... BUT WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. holy shit i am so not ready. holy shiiiiiiit.

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:51 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:not much to see. just another one of Onlyoncemore's daily meltdown.
[+] Spoiler

Did a custom practice test of 100 questions. Given that I selected to focus on my weaker areas... BUT WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. holy shit i am so not ready. holy shiiiiiiit.
Do practice questions instead of exam mode. Reviewing the explanation right after each question is way more effective instead of waiting the end on the set (especially 100 question monster sets). You’ll have forgotten your state of mind by then and you will likely repeat the same mistake (or simply waste more time to learn why you got it wrong).

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:53 pm

maxmartin wrote:
supa_mitsu wrote:I was wondering if MBE questions are mostly the same from administration to administration. Does any of you remember running into questions previously encountered on exam day? I know that the MBE people are really secretive about their info, so I was just wondering if this would be a reason why.
They are totally different.
How do they have so many scored questions if they only test 25 every 6 months?

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:00 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:....
Do practice questions instead of exam mode. Reviewing the explanation right after each question is way more effective instead of waiting the end on the set (especially 100 question monster sets). You’ll have forgotten your state of mind by then and you will likely repeat the same mistake (or simply waste more time to learn why you got it wrong).
I've definitely been doing that and agree. But one thing that really screwed me up the first time, other than being a total fail in some subjects, is endurance. I'm just kind of kicking myself in the butt and force-practicing a few 3hr sessions. Ugh.

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:not much to see. just another one of Onlyoncemore's daily meltdown.
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
I haven't done another practice test set, but I'm right there with you on not being ready... This morning I had a mini freak out about character evidence and the differences between FRE and CEC. I think I'm burning out too because I cannot stay concentrated and disciplined. Fuck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 pm

I burned out too last summer about 3 or 4 weeks before the exam. But it's ok, b/c it's better to burn out now than right before the exam. You can get it out of your system and then peak again right around exam time.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Don't worry too much about burning out now, or even mid Feb.

As, you can see in the performance chart below, I burned out hard and hit below 50% correct on July 11 which was just 2 weeks before the exam. (I did at least 50 questions per day). But by the time the exam rolled around, I was doing much better.

So just keep track of your daily performance on Adaptibar.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Trying to get the timing down with a practice PT today... and it's a struggle.

Gave myself an 1hr15mins just to simulate working under a time crunch. I had a very rough outline completed, but no facts filled in yet. Then gave myself the 15 additional minutes (that I initially deprived myself of), and I had the basic facts filled in, but not much analysis.

Maybe I'll improve with time, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't try to finish the two other essays within 45-50 minutes to give myself even more time on the PT.

rationaljd

New

Post by rationaljd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:42 pm

onlythreemonths wrote:
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
I haven't done another practice test set, but I'm right there with you on not being ready... This morning I had a mini freak out about character evidence and the differences between FRE and CEC. I think I'm burning out too because I cannot stay concentrated and disciplined. Fuck.
Right behind you guys... Starting to think whether I should just not take this one... Wasted all day freaking out and thinking about not freaking out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SouthernOutWest

New

Post by SouthernOutWest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm

YuckNotTheBar wrote:Does anyone know whether there is a place to store bags, phones, etc. at the testing sites? I will be in Oakland.

In addition to phone/wallet, wondering if I can bring notes, outlines to the site and retrieve them during lunch to skim through, or if there is no way to do that.
Yup! They do- they have an area just outside of the secure area that's "monitored" (for whatever that's worth) that you can leave your lunch, study materials, whatever else you want to have with you but can't have in the actual room. You have access to all of your stuff during lunch, so if you want to review/study/call your mom, you can. All things considered, Oakland is a pretty solid spot to take the exam- I took it there in July (and passed) and was overall pleased with the proctoring experience.

thorm87

New

Post by thorm87 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Any other attorneys in SF taking the CA attorney's exam in February who might be interested in meeting up for study group / moral support?

jellybelly13

New

Post by jellybelly13 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 am

[quote="thorm87"]might[/quote

Do u mean South Florida?

jellybelly13

New

Post by jellybelly13 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 am

Any views on Kaplan Mbe book?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 am

jellybelly13 wrote:Any views on Kaplan Mbe book?
Excellent book, I don't know where they got their questions, during the real exam, I encountered two or three questions: the stem of those questions are almost identical to the ones in the bluebook.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:54 pm

[+] Spoiler

Doing 100 at a clip once in a while isn't a bad thing. It's what it reveals that matters--that's why you practice--to get it wrong. For example, I did the same thing as you (100 on Adaptibar), and got almost the exact same percentage. What I discovered was that my crim and torts were nowhere near what I thought they were. So I went on a crim/crim pro and torts tear after that because I know I can bring those up. And I have.

And like you, my endurance was for shit on the July bar. I just didn't think i'd get tired, but man, by the end of the 4th hour it was like walking through a 100 mile an hour blizzard with zero visibility. For some people, endurance isn't that big of a deal, but I discovered that it is for me. So it must be dealt with.

Keep keepin' at it. Do you really have a choice anyway?

SDChargers

New

Post by SDChargers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Two Questions

1. MBEs
I didn't pass the first round because I didn't get to finish the MBE questions, about 15 on first set (before break) and 10 on last set were bubbled in. I have been doing about 25-50 MBE questions a Day. When I do them in small portions, my timing is not too bad, I am averaging at between 2:00mins to 2:25min per question at the moment. I did a 100 MBE set and my timing was terrible! 3hrs and 19minutes.
Any helpful hints on how to improve my timing? I know by doing my more I am improving my stamina but I find myself constantly re-reading because I loose focus so easily after doing a few.

2. Essay Analysis
Does anyone have "Formulas" for analysis? I find myself pausing often because I cannot find the right words to use or how to properly apply the facts to the rule. I remember seeing a Formula that looked something like this: [Here, _________(Buzzword)________ legal facts]? I could've mixed the order.

Any help is appreciated.

Also if anyone needs any outlines or quick study aids I'd be happy to send them over.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 pm

SDChargers wrote:Two Questions

1. MBEs
I didn't pass the first round because I didn't get to finish the MBE questions, about 15 on first set (before break) and 10 on last set were bubbled in. I have been doing about 25-50 MBE questions a Day. When I do them in small portions, my timing is not too bad, I am averaging at between 2:00mins to 2:25min per question at the moment. I did a 100 MBE set and my timing was terrible! 3hrs and 19minutes.
Any helpful hints on how to improve my timing? I know by doing my more I am improving my stamina but I find myself constantly re-reading because I loose focus so easily after doing a few.

2. Essay Analysis
Does anyone have "Formulas" for analysis? I find myself pausing often because I cannot find the right words to use or how to properly apply the facts to the rule. I remember seeing a Formula that looked something like this: [Here, _________(Buzzword)________ legal facts]? I could've mixed the order.

Any help is appreciated.

Also if anyone needs any outlines or quick study aids I'd be happy to send them over.
For analysis, you can say something like this:
Here, [introduction of a relevant fact]. [Connect another fact to the first fact, or make an inference about the first fact, using the word "because."] [Connect the rule to the facts you just noted using the word "because."]

Thus, [summary of analysis -- 1-2 sentences].
Helps to explain a bit instead of just saying, "Thus, there was battery." I don't want to say there's a strict formula, just connections between facts and rule elements. However, some keywords that will help are "here" "because" and "thus."

Did you end up finding/getting the Magicsheets you wanted?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SDChargers

New

Post by SDChargers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I did find the magic sheets, I wanted to respond to you but I am unsure how to directly do so.

Also I found these formulas for Legal Analysis

Fact-Matching
Formula One:
Here, [buzzwords] because [legally significant fact(s)].

Example of Fact Matching Formula One
Rule: Under the common law, the burglary must occur at night. It is nighttime
when it is too dark outside to see a face.
Fact: Dane broke into Vin's house at 11 p.m.
Analysis: Here, it was too dark out side to see a face because Dane broke into
Vin's house at 11 p.m., which is nighttime in nearly every jurisdiction in the U.S.

Formula Two:
Here, because [legally significant fact(s)], [buzzwords] is/is not satisfied.

Example of Fact Matching Formula Two
Rule: To be liable for felony murder, the defendant must have committed an
inherently dangerous felony. Burglary is an inherently dangerous felony.
Fact: Don committed burglary and Valen died during the commission of the
burglary.
Analysis: Because Don committed burglary, Don committed an inherently
dangerous felony and this element is satisfied.

Inferences

Formula One:
Here, [insert legally significant facts] + which suggests that + [state logical
conclusion] because [reasoning]. Therefore, [element] is/is not met.

Example of Inference Formula One
Rule: A defendant commits burglary when he breaks and enters the dwelling
house of another at night with the intent to commit a felony therein. The
nighttime element is satisfied when it is too dark outside to see a face.
Fact: Dwight used a flashlight to locate the back door at Victoria’s house.
Analysis: Here, Dane used a flashlight so that he could find the back door at
Vin's house, which suggests that it was too dark outside to see a face.
Therefore, the nighttime element is met.

Formula Two:
Generally, + [insert common knowledge]. Here, [key facts], + which suggests
[conclusion] + because [connect to common knowledge].

Example of Inference Formula Two
Rule: A defendant commits burglary when he breaks and enters the dwelling house of another
at night with the intent to commit a felony therein. The nighttime element is satisfied when it is
too dark outside to see a face.
Fact: Dane used a flashlight to locate the back door at Vin's house.
Analysis:
Generally, people do not use flashlights when it is light outside. Here, Dane used a
flashlight so that he could find the back door at Vin's house, which suggests that it was too
dark outside to see a face because people generally do not use a flashlight unless it is dark
outside.

SDChargers

New

Post by SDChargers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I did find the magic sheets, I wanted to respond to you but I am unsure how to directly do so.

a male human wrote:

1. MBEs

2. Essay Analysis

Any help is appreciated.

For analysis, you can say something like this:
Here, [introduction of a relevant fact]. [Connect another fact to the first fact, or make an inference about the first fact, using the word "because."] [Connect the rule to the facts you just noted using the word "because."]

Thus, [summary of analysis -- 1-2 sentences].
Helps to explain a bit instead of just saying, "Thus, there was battery." I don't want to say there's a strict formula, just connections between facts and rule elements. However, some keywords that will help are "here" "because" and "thus."

Did you end up finding/getting the Magicsheets you wanted?

Snowflake1

New

Post by Snowflake1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:29 pm

2. Essay Analysis

Any help is appreciated.

I've been memorizing the BarEssays templates for this. You can see a sample here - http://baressays.com/sample.aspx?t=BarE ... tracts.pdf

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm

ONE MONTH (+ 2 days) LEFT EVERYONE

How is everyone doing?
I'm pretty much having a melt down every two or three day. Meltdownd ay is right nooow. Doing 30~40 MBE's/day but I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. At this point I really want to be hitting 70% average daily on MBE's and it's not happening so fuuuuccck. Trying not to think too much about %s right now, but remembering my last MBE score and how bad that was, it gives me a mini anxiety seeing my score being low as it is. Adaptibar can you have the % disappear from the entry screen - thanks. Also, i should be doing more essays but I don't wanna.

It's a Friday
I've had/am having a glass of scotch. Full glass.
wahooooo. My dog is sitting on my foot with his back to me. Gives me a judgmental side look from time to time. Little shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 pm

If your dog could shake his head and sigh, he would!

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:ONE MONTH (+ 2 days) LEFT EVERYONE

How is everyone doing?
I'm pretty much having a melt down every two or three day. Meltdownd ay is right nooow. Doing 30~40 MBE's/day but I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. At this point I really want to be hitting 70% average daily on MBE's and it's not happening so fuuuuccck. Trying not to think too much about %s right now, but remembering my last MBE score and how bad that was, it gives me a mini anxiety seeing my score being low as it is. Adaptibar can you have the % disappear from the entry screen - thanks. Also, i should be doing more essays but I don't wanna.

It's a Friday
wahooooo. My dog is sitting on my foot with his back to me. Gives me a judgmental side look from time to time. Little shit.
You're good. We're going to be fine. Anxiety and stress, the latter mainly, are normal and keep us alert and focused/driven. But don't cross over to where you're in your head too much. Read the explanations very carefully and marinate on them. (Look at the breakdown of particular sub-topics your super weak on the the main subjects then hit a quick five question set on those). Fuck with the facts a little after reading all explanations for a particular question and see how the answer would have been different (thus, showing yourself your semi-mastery of BLL). Go hard, but don't trip too much. You are consistent which is good, and I think the key now, as is the same case for me, is to steadily turn it up this month. Essays? just start outlining them... like what I do is I print out the essay with size ten font, then under I do my outline of the answer and memorize it based on those facts. I say the BLL out loud and then write more. Everyone does shit differently but I noticed on my July exam for the CP essay I got a 70 and thats literally what I did for all 10 CP essays. Issue spotting becomes second nature. However, you cannot do this for all subjects. Just be clear to yourself about where your time is best well spent, steadily turn it up this month, and you'll be positioned to pass at the end of next month cuz you'll be prepared. Also, be cognizant of what might be tested in terms of essay subjects. Some people I read on here were effectively trashing Dr. Sacuzzo. However, I checked his last three cycle predictions against the actual subjects tested and he's pretty fucking spot-on. So either they're reading Russian or I was. Note how I am not saying follow Dr. Sacuzzo. You should be exposed to all subjects and have little game plans for each one. But, for example, CP will probably not be on this exam, also Torts probably won't either, and neither will Civ pro. Still do these!! I did ten essays for torts and civ. So still do them, but just give extra love and attention to the subjects you feel will most likely be tested. Sorry if this sounds like a bunch of jumble ive been locked in this dark cave still 8am. I should probably open my blinds and hit the gym at some point. Cheers.

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 pm

rayforoc wrote:
onlyoncemore wrote:ONE MONTH (+ 2 days) LEFT EVERYONE

How is everyone doing?

It's a Friday
You're good. We're going to be fine. Anxiety and stress, the latter mainly, are normal and keep us alert and focused/driven. But don't cross over to where you're in your head too much. Read the explanations very carefully and marinate on them. (Look at the breakdown of particular sub-topics your super weak on the the main subjects then hit a quick five question set on those). Fuck with the facts a little after reading all explanations for a particular question and see how the answer would have been different (thus, showing yourself your semi-mastery of BLL). Go hard, but don't trip too much. You are consistent which is good, and I think the key now, as is the same case for me, is to steadily turn it up this month. Essays? just start outlining them... like what I do is I print out the essay with size ten font, then under I do my outline of the answer and memorize it based on those facts. I say the BLL out loud and then write more. Everyone does shit differently but I noticed on my July exam for the CP essay I got a 70 and thats literally what I did for all 10 CP essays. Issue spotting becomes second nature. However, you cannot do this for all subjects. Just be clear to yourself about where your time is best well spent, steadily turn it up this month, and you'll be positioned to pass at the end of next month cuz you'll be prepared. Also, be cognizant of what might be tested in terms of essay subjects. Some people I read on here were effectively trashing Dr. Sacuzzo. However, I checked his last three cycle predictions against the actual subjects tested and he's pretty fucking spot-on. So either they're reading Russian or I was. Note how I am not saying follow Dr. Sacuzzo. You should be exposed to all subjects and have little game plans for each one. But, for example, CP will probably not be on this exam, also Torts probably won't either, and neither will Civ pro. Still do these!! I did ten essays for torts and civ. So still do them, but just give extra love and attention to the subjects you feel will most likely be tested. Sorry if this sounds like a bunch of jumble ive been locked in this dark cave still 8am. I should probably open my blinds and hit the gym at some point. Cheers.
One last thing, I am by no means advocating cutting ANY corners. Ever. It's alot of work that I don't have to tell you or anyone else about because we are doing it daily. I think what I am trying to say it be cognizant of the material you have covered thus far, and then examine what you still need to cover, giving yourself between 4-7 days pre-daily-before-bar-day to simply review and issue spot. That way you know what nexts to be covered this next month. brick by brick, hour by hour sometimes, but we'll be prepared.

Yes, I instantly realize this all sounds like a personal pep talk to myself lol.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:44 pm

1. MBEs

2. Essay Analysis

Any help is appreciated.

Regarding the MBE, I feel that too many examinees might be relying on the 1.8 minute rule too much. If you do every question at 1.8 minutes, then you will finish the exam right at the time deadline, which does not give you any wiggle room.

I suggest aiming for a maximum <1 minute completion time for the "easy" questions, and 1.5 minutes for the "medium questions". This will give you more time for the harder ones. It's my belief that you can only go over the 3 minute mark on 3 to 5 questions per 100. Any more than that and you start creeping into the danger zone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”