2018 February CA Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supa_mitsu

New

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Post by supa_mitsu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Anyone has tips on how to be faster at the PTs? It consistently takes me over an hour just to go through the library and write down the rules...

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:Anyone has tips on how to be faster at the PTs? It consistently takes me over an hour just to go through the library and write down the rules...

Are you practicing with the newer 90 minute format PT or the older 180 minute PT?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:Anyone has tips on how to be faster at the PTs? It consistently takes me over an hour just to go through the library and write down the rules...
What do you think is slowing you down? Are you getting lost in the procedural history of the case(s)? Can't figure out what the rules are?

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 pm

I'm practicing with the 90-minute MPTs on the GA website (thanks for the resource a male human, by the way). I'm keeping track of how long it takes to do what and definitely finding the rule in the library and typing it down takes me the most time. A total of around 2h15m for the whole PT. I'm already planning on stealing 10 minutes to each of the afternoon essays (to give the PT a total of 1h50m), but I'm still far from finishing in 1h50m.

This is my approach: I read the task memo and write down the issue/introduction, conclusion and all the formatting (8m), then I read the library and underline the rules (1h20m-1h30m; it's usually a TON of stuff), then I underline relevant facts in the library and categorize them (20m), then I write them down (15-20m). By the way, I noticed that the selected answers of the GA MPTs really don't have long analysis; most of those consist in rule statement (which, again, is a TON of stuff to find and write down). How are you guys able to cut down times? am I doing something obviously wrong?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Pulling out the rules was usually the easiest part for me because I manually briefed every case I read in law school like a dumbass.

I want to say that if pulling the rules is giving you the most trouble, just practice that to keep it under 30 min. There are plenty of MPTs to do, so you won't have to worry too much about running out.

The rules are generally principles that apply to the case. Sometimes they're neatly numbered.

Even if you underline whatever looks like the rules, you probably don't need all of it. I like to have a separate outline that notes which ones I'm going to need to answer the question. When you "write them down" (on screen?), you'll have to pick the most pertinent ones... but if you have some extra ones floating in your answer, whatever. Analyze using some relevant facts (you probably won't use all of them) and get to a reasonable conclusion using the rules/principles.

Like with an essay, you'll want to IRAC and use clear headings for each issue or sub-issue (associated with any rule elements).

One last thing. You don't have to feel weird about "plagiarizing" from the assignment. Those words are there for you to use, like a real case. Just copy the shit out of the rules you find and slap some quotes around them. That should save you some time and mental effort. Don't try to be creative and reinterpret what's plainly there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

supa_mitsu

New

Post by supa_mitsu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 pm

From what you wrote, my problem is probably that I find too many rules, subrules and standards that are not that relevant. I'll just try to get the main rules next time and try to keep it faster. Also, it doesn't help that I don't have an American JD (so I'm fairly new to doing all this stuff) so I probably just have to keep practicing and practicing. Hopefully for less than the duration of a whole JD! Thanks for the input.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 am

supa_mitsu wrote:From what you wrote, my problem is probably that I find too many rules, subrules and standards that are not that relevant. I'll just try to get the main rules next time and try to keep it faster. Also, it doesn't help that I don't have an American JD (so I'm fairly new to doing all this stuff) so I probably just have to keep practicing and practicing. Hopefully for less than the duration of a whole JD! Thanks for the input.
As far as that goes, don't worry too much. If you're familiar with legal research, you can do a PT. It's all about following directions. So follow them as closely as possible. Yeah, there's more to it than that, but that's base upon which you want to build.

Also, I'll recommend a book for you. It deals with the old 3 hour format, but that doesn't matter. It gives you a step by step approach that's exactly applicable to the new PT.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Perfo ... mance+test

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 am

Anyone have any experience using the Emmanuel S&T part 2 or the FINZ version? (I have part 1.) A male human, I've read your review of part 2, but what about FINZ?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 am

helpappreciated wrote:Anyone have any experience using the Emmanuel S&T part 2 or the FINZ version? (I have part 1.) A male human, I've read your review of part 2, but what about FINZ?
No experience with Finz, sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:From what you wrote, my problem is probably that I find too many rules, subrules and standards that are not that relevant. I'll just try to get the main rules next time and try to keep it faster. Also, it doesn't help that I don't have an American JD (so I'm fairly new to doing all this stuff) so I probably just have to keep practicing and practicing. Hopefully for less than the duration of a whole JD! Thanks for the input.
I'll add my two cents, though I rarely studied for the PT's and passed them easily primarily due to my work experience. I agree with looking at the task memo and drafting an outline to begin. What you need to keep in mind is who is the audience? If you're writing an appellate brief, then the rules should be laid out in their entirety. If the memo is to a client describing a cause of action, I would truncate or synopsize the rule. Speak to your audience.

In addition, I didn't underline or highlight the rules as I read them - I actively wrote them down. If there were 3 issues, and I could tell the first case dealt with issue #1, I didn't wait until after reading the whole thing to write the rules. I would just copy any relevant rules, with each citation (Case #1, etc.) and then keep going. Perhaps afterwards, I would copy/paste to make it flow better, but if I knew the rule had to be down anyways, I wouldn't waste time by reading, then going back and typing.

In the end, on the PT"s you have to find what works for you to get a clean, finished product to the graders in 90 minutes. That's your task to figure out.

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 am

Yeah, so I think I'm going to fail this again... I cannot for the life of me remember all the rules. I took a practice MBE and got 125/200, but I'm thinking I definitely need a 140 to compensate for my essays. This is frustrating as hell...

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:42 am

onlythreemonths wrote:Yeah, so I think I'm going to fail this again... I cannot for the life of me remember all the rules. I took a practice MBE and got 125/200, but I'm thinking I definitely need a 140 to compensate for my essays. This is frustrating as hell...
You should have the MBE score break down from last time. Focus on the subjects you did sub-par last time. There is plenty time left. You can do this!

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm

onlythreemonths wrote:Yeah, so I think I'm going to fail this again... I cannot for the life of me remember all the rules. I took a practice MBE and got 125/200, but I'm thinking I definitely need a 140 to compensate for my essays. This is frustrating as hell...
I think we're at the same place. I got a 128/200. I definitely did what maxmartin recommended and focused on my worst subjects first...which helped because now my worst subjects are at least in the mid-range... the only down side is that I kind of neglected my better subjects and have to review them while feeling like shit over that score. Still, there's a month left. I took a day off and got back into studying. It was cold as hell but I went to the beach...I don't recommend that because now i also have a cold. But they day off was worth it. Just get it all out.

After getting over the initial disappointment of 128 I went back and did my own stats. My best subject was 80% (real property) and worst was 51% (contracts)... I looked at my answers and definitely saw that I seem to get certain categories of questions wrong, meaning I either forgot that shit or learned it wrong. Unfortunately some are the biggest point sections (i.e. Contract formation), so I've been focusing on them for the last week or so. Meanwhile, I do an essay or two every day if I can. If I burn out, I don't do the essay and just reserve a day of the week as "essay day" and run through them all. It gives me a break from MBE's too lol.

Dude, we go this. WE WILL BEAT THIS FUCKING TEST.
on a side note, in my notebook of answer corrections, I'd say 40% of the words are fuck/shit/damn. :lol: they do say swearing is cathartic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:24 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:
I think we're at the same place. I got a 128/200. I definitely did what maxmartin recommended and focused on my worst subjects first...which helped because now my worst subjects are at least in the mid-range... the only down side is that I kind of neglected my better subjects and have to review them while feeling like shit over that score. Still, there's a month left. I took a day off and got back into studying. It was cold as hell but I went to the beach...I don't recommend that because now i also have a cold. But they day off was worth it. Just get it all out.

After getting over the initial disappointment of 128 I went back and did my own stats. My best subject was 80% (real property) and worst was 51% (contracts)... I looked at my answers and definitely saw that I seem to get certain categories of questions wrong, meaning I either forgot that shit or learned it wrong. Unfortunately some are the biggest point sections (i.e. Contract formation), so I've been focusing on them for the last week or so. Meanwhile, I do an essay or two every day if I can. If I burn out, I don't do the essay and just reserve a day of the week as "essay day" and run through them all. It gives me a break from MBE's too lol.

Dude, we go this. WE WILL BEAT THIS FUCKING TEST.
on a side note, in my notebook of answer corrections, I'd say 40% of the words are fuck/shit/damn. :lol: they do say swearing is cathartic.
Hey, just want to say this post really helped me today. I've been feeling extremely defeated + experiencing freak out sessions here and there for the past few days. This is tough. I'm really struggling with MBE - most subjects are in the 50%. With Real Property and Contracts as my worst. How do you study real property, if you don't mind sharing.

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Candy Wrappers wrote:....Hey, just want to say this post really helped me today. I've been feeling extremely defeated + experiencing freak out sessions here and there for the past few days. This is tough. I'm really struggling with MBE - most subjects are in the 50%. With Real Property and Contracts as my worst. How do you study real property, if you don't mind sharing.
No problem. We're all pretty much in our own little (burning) rowboat lol. Let's all make it to the finish line. And those defeating/freaking out emotions. I definitely have them... and I AM NOT ASHAMED TO SAY - ok i sort of am - that i sometimes just raise that middle finger at my booklet/computer screen and move on. I probably look like an asshole/freak at the library or cafe, but at this point in my life, I could care less.

As for Real Property, I retained a lot of the information from the first time I studied surprisingly. What I did was nothing magical; just read the outline, took time to memorize, and wrote/mapped it out dozen times or so by hand. I'm a visual/kinesthetic learner, worst type for law school - fuck me, so I need to actually do the writing and mapping. For concepts I really couldn't get through my head, I went on youtube for some videos on real property, and lo and behold, there are a crap-ton. Here's a video I watched to get me to understand this stuff: Mortgages and Deeds of Trust- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBjbw4to4Y. I seriously recommend all that channel's property videos. Not only did I learn the stuff, but I laughed at the stupid drawings and side comments while at it. That probably helped with retention. Those barprep company videos could take a cue from this...

Anyways, now someone help me. Contracts. anyone have good NON-barprep company videos that helped? Something funny. stick figure drawings would be awesome. Thanks.

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Maybe i'm just having a bad brain fart... can someone explain this one?

A homeowner (H) entered into a written K with a house painter (P) to have his house repainted. The K stated in part: "if the H finds the completed job to be satisfactory, he will pay the P $10,000 within one week after the job is completed." Which one of the following is accurate regarding H's contractual obligation to pay P $10,000
  1. Payment of $10k by H would be an express condition subsequent to the house painter's duty of performance
  2. P's performance under K would be an express condition precedent to H's duty of payment of $10k
  3. The performances of H and P were concurrent conditions
  4. There is no K, because the condition of H's satisfaction renders the contract illusory
[+] Spoiler
Answer (b)

I picked (d) because to me, the language clearly indicates that H's payment is based upon H finding the job satisfactory, which = illusory... ok b is true as well but... why B over D?

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:Maybe i'm just having a bad brain fart... can someone explain this one?

A homeowner (H) entered into a written K with a house painter (P) to have his house repainted. The K stated in part: "if the H finds the completed job to be satisfactory, he will pay the P $10,000 within one week after the job is completed." Which one of the following is accurate regarding H's contractual obligation to pay P $10,000
  1. Payment of $10k by H would be an express condition subsequent to the house painter's duty of performance
  2. P's performance under K would be an express condition precedent to H's duty of payment of $10k
  4. There is no K, because the condition of H's satisfaction renders the contract illusory
[+] Spoiler
Answer (b)

I picked (d) because to me, the language clearly indicates that H's payment is based upon H finding the job satisfactory, which = illusory... ok b is true as well but... why B over D?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's because while H has to subjectively find it satisfactory, which may render it illusory, he also has to find it satisfactory or not in good faith. I picked (b) over (d) for the sole reason that satisfaction clauses are common.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:Maybe i'm just having a bad brain fart... can someone explain this one?

[+] Spoiler
Answer (b)

D is the trap answer choice. D is wrong because there is a valid contract. Many contracts have "satisfaction guarantee" phrases.

An illusory contract would be one that says, "if the H finds he wants to pay, he will pay the P $10,000 within one week after the job is completed."

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:

[+] Spoiler
Answer (b)

D is the trap answer choice. D is wrong because there is a valid contract. Many contracts have "satisfaction guarantee" phrases.

An illusory contract would be one that says, "if the H finds he wants to pay, he will pay the P $10,000 within one week after the job is completed."
I picked B as well. I think lack of instinctual trust is something I am working on as I practice more. For example, my instinct was, "It's B don't over think this move on." But then I second-guessed myself after reading D. I remember a couple others questions covering issues like this.

Also, my rule notebooks have lots of "fuck" and "Dude's an idiot" after rules as well, esp. when explaining things to myself. Keeping grinding, every single person on this forum has the capacity to pass the bar at the end of next month, every one, do not forget that. Move.

insertusernamehere

New

Post by insertusernamehere » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am

Does anyone have any experience with driving to the Pasadena test center from Los Angeles? I live in Santa Monica area, and Google maps says it should take 40 to 80 minutes to get there in the morning.

I'd rather sleep in my own bed even with the commute than get a hotel. Anyone have any advice for me commuting? Including actual time to get there and back/extent of traffic

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 am

Hello, hard-working citizens.

I'm looking for essay donations from the July 2017 exam because the free essay bank that I maintain is bare for that exam. In fact, it's the only administration I don't have any donations for yet.

Would any kind souls be willing to scan or take photos of their returned essays, for science? :) This is not for me; it's for your fellow students and future generations who want to stand on the shoulders of giants. Please PM me for where to send (or if you're a guest user of TLS, you may have to click around a bit to find my email), or I can reach out to you. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by a male human on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jellybelly13

New

Post by jellybelly13 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:25 am

a male human wrote:Hello, hard-working citizens.

I'm looking for essay donations from the July 2017 exam because the free essay bank that I maintain is bare for that exam. In fact, it's the only administration I have yet that doesn't have any donations.

Would any kind souls be willing to scan or take photos of their returned essays, for science? :) This is not for ME; it's for your fellow students and future generations who want to stand on the shoulders of giants. Please PM me for where to send (or if you're a guest user of TLS, you may have to click around a bit to find my email). Thanks in advance.
Please inbox email address...will send mine

SDChargers

New

Post by SDChargers » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Does anyone have any "MagicSheets" For Crim law, crim pro, con law, BA, PR?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

SDChargers wrote:Does anyone have any "MagicSheets" For Crim law, crim pro, con law, BA, PR?
You can find a full sample for Con Law here.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:11 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:

[+] Spoiler
Answer (b)

What is the difference between answer choices A and B? I guess a is wrong because it's not an express condition subject to P's performance, its a subsequent condition to P's performance AND H's satisfaction? Is that right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”