CA -> UBE (Oregon specifically) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ORHopeful

New

CA -> UBE (Oregon specifically)

Post by ORHopeful » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

I took the California exam twice, both times under immense personal stress and life circumstances, and came in just under passing both times. Both times I had a high MBE score, passing PTs and less than satisfactory essays, although I averaged 60s on essays for the second test. Passing would have helped me within my job, but it was not required, so I chose not to re-take a third time.

I would like to pass the bar somewhere just for the sake of preserving some sort of legal career options. Although I work and live in California, I am very close to the Oregon border, attended law school in Oregon, and would like to eventually return to Oregon, so I have registered for the Feb. exam in Oregon. After looking at the number of subjects tested in Oregon, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. It seems as though the number of subjects outside of the MBE subjects is much greater for Oregon and other UBEs than for California. Is there anyone that has taken the CBX and later a UBE that has any advice or encouragement to share? Or just anyone with any advice or encouragement?

Also, I will not be taking a bar study course. As of now my game plan is to use adaptibar and a friends old BarBri books to study. Any other suggestions?

b290

Bronze

Re: CA -> UBE (Oregon specifically)

Post by b290 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 pm

ORHopeful wrote:I took the California exam twice, both times under immense personal stress and life circumstances, and came in just under passing both times. Both times I had a high MBE score, passing PTs and less than satisfactory essays, although I averaged 60s on essays for the second test. Passing would have helped me within my job, but it was not required, so I chose not to re-take a third time.

I would like to pass the bar somewhere just for the sake of preserving some sort of legal career options. Although I work and live in California, I am very close to the Oregon border, attended law school in Oregon, and would like to eventually return to Oregon, so I have registered for the Feb. exam in Oregon. After looking at the number of subjects tested in Oregon, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. It seems as though the number of subjects outside of the MBE subjects is much greater for Oregon and other UBEs than for California. Is there anyone that has taken the CBX and later a UBE that has any advice or encouragement to share? Or just anyone with any advice or encouragement?

Also, I will not be taking a bar study course. As of now my game plan is to use adaptibar and a friends old BarBri books to study. Any other suggestions?
Oregon is a UBE state. The UBE is the same nationwide. You can forget about state distinctions for this test. Since it just started in OR (July 2017), you want to be careful you’re not looking at an older summary of the OR bar exam. That summary can be found here:

http://www.ncbex.org/jurisdiction-infor ... diction/or

Also, Oregon just lowered its pass mark to 274. With no state stuff, your studying’s simplified. It’s effectively MBE+. You still have to study generalized Wills, Trusts, Corps, Family Law, etc. You can almost get away with a cursory review of non-MBE subjects and pass; quite a few people I know did it. But I’d cover all bases to be sure. With a high MBE, you can pass with even dreadful essays and passable MPTs.

Another good thing is that if you miss that 274 mark by a a few points, you can either call it quits and get licensed elsewhere (most UBE states are 266 or lower) or continue - scores generally last 3 years. It’s much better retaking knowing you have that option, or even that you’d have that choice. Since you’re open to move - having 25 states to choose from is a no brainer. There’s a decent chance you’d be licensed now if you took the UBE.

As for practical advice, Adaptibar is awesome, I’d def recommend it. If you’re working while studying, just be consistent. Do something bar-related every day. You’d want to get the essay writing down (timing really) as they’re shorter and thus you have 30 mins to write them.

Good choice on abandoning the nonsense that CA puts people through. There are better legal markets around that are begging for attorneys. My buddy just moved to Vancouver, WA (Portland area for those who don’t know, WA is a UBE state too) and already has prospects. People should take advantage

Good luck!

My $.02

ORHopeful

New

Post by ORHopeful » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 am

Well that's great news. My familiarity with the UBE was nill but I was almost positive it was ya know, universal, but the Oregon FAQ page must just not be updated with current subject areas.

My goal is honestly federal employment, which is why I would just like to just get licensed somewhere soon. Although it does seem like many rural areas of Oregon are begging for adequate legal professionals so that was another consideration as I live in rural California right across the border from rural Oregon.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

ORHopeful wrote:Well that's great news. My familiarity with the UBE was nill but I was almost positive it was ya know, universal, but the Oregon FAQ page must just not be updated with current subject areas.

My goal is honestly federal employment, which is why I would just like to just get licensed somewhere soon. Although it does seem like many rural areas of Oregon are begging for adequate legal professionals so that was another consideration as I live in rural California right across the border from rural Oregon.
Perfect. As you may know, Federal districts largely just want you to be licensed somewhere...except California. All the more reason to ditch CA.

The UBE, particularly the MEE, is also predictable, as its “universality” and objectivity constrains what to test. There are some subjects that can’t be tested alone in one essay. JD Advising’s got some very useful posts (here and on her blog) about the UBE. There’s also a book “Clearing the Last Hurdle” that basically spoonfeeds the whole thing, and it’s a short read. I’d recommend those.

Also, now’s a good time to find some alumni/classmates in OR. No need to act on anything unless someone offers you a job on the spot. They’d offer some insights(jobwise) and you’d lay the groundwork for next year after your results.

My $.02

itdepends69

New

Post by itdepends69 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:46 pm

FYI I took CBX twice and failed and just passed the UBE in another jurisdiction. I did Emanuel Strategies & Tactics, adaptibar, and had access to a course where I did a million timed MEEs and got feedback on most of them. Probably around 100 MEEs and a bunch of MPTs. I also let go of the thought that if I just completely copied what someone told me to do then I'd pass, and did what worked for me personally.... if you catch my drift. It's gonna be hard but you can do it. Good luck!

ME2JD

New

Post by ME2JD » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Same situation as you guys. Failed CA a few times and will be taking the UBE in WA.

Mind sharing the MEE supplement/course that you used?
itdepends69 wrote:FYI I took CBX twice and failed and just passed the UBE in another jurisdiction. I did Emanuel Strategies & Tactics, adaptibar, and had access to a course where I did a million timed MEEs and got feedback on most of them. Probably around 100 MEEs and a bunch of MPTs. I also let go of the thought that if I just completely copied what someone told me to do then I'd pass, and did what worked for me personally.... if you catch my drift. It's gonna be hard but you can do it. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”