50-hour pro bono requirement in NY Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
screwtapeletters

New

50-hour pro bono requirement in NY

Post by screwtapeletters » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:44 pm

If you look at the Employment affidavit, it says the following:

"Note to applicants applying for admission on examination: do not submit an employment affidavit for employments listed on your 50 hour pro bono compliance affidavit or listed on your pro bono scholars program completion affidavit (see instructions accompanying question 15 on the application for admission questionnaire)."

Instructions on Q15:
"Note to applicants applying for admission on examination: do not include employments listed on your 50 hour pro bono compliance affidavit or listed on your pro bono scholars program completion affidavit."

So the question is, I worked at a govt agency over the summer, for which I was paid stipend from the school for. I continued working for the agency throughout the fall on a pro bono basis, and am wondering whether I should just take out the employment altogether from my list of employments... any ideas?

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Re: 50-hour pro bono requirement in NY

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 am

I was in a somewhat similar situation. I worked at a legal services organization during the summer and received a public interest fellowship from an outside organization. Then during the entire next school year I volunteered at the same legal services organization without any funding. I ultimately only listed it on the pro bono affidavit and did not submit a separate employment affidavit. I figured that the same supervisor would be filling out two affidavits for the same work and that was redundant, hence why the instructions said not to do both. I just used all of the summer and school year hours for the pro bono requirement since stipends do not disqualify the work.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Re: 50-hour pro bono requirement in NY

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Getting paid doesn't matter, at least for me I was able to use clerkship hours that ideas paid for, counts as public service. Had no issues no deficiency with that.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”