MPRE November 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
unlvcrjchick

New

MPRE November 2017

Post by unlvcrjchick » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Just wondering how everyone felt taking this today? I studied maybe a week, doing Kaplan practice tests and doing some BarMax questions. I didn’t read the model rules themselves to study and hope that didn’t hurt me. I’m a bit paranoid because I failed the MPRE when I first took it 10 years ago, by a few points. The second time I got a 127 and I’m hoping I can just get the 85 needed for Arizona so I can transfer my Utah UBE score. Seems Utah is the only state that will accept my old 2008 score.

You would think the test would be easier after you’ve been practicing for 9-10 years but nope: it sucked as much as I remembered.
Last edited by unlvcrjchick on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lady_gaga

New

Re: MPRE November 2017

Post by lady_gaga » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:20 am

Thought it was way harder than past questions. Like they would test on several concepts/rules in one question. I don't feel great about it:(

CBlaw

New

Post by CBlaw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Thought it was actually pretty hard. There was only a handful of questions I felt sure about. I reviewed with Themis. I would guess I did not get the 85 i needed.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Y’all all passed.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Mod edit: discussion of test content/answers is not allowed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:36 pm

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 am

Hi folks - the MPRE people do not allow discussing the content of the questions outside the exam, so I need to ask you to not do so here. Further discussion of specific questions and answers will result in bans. Thanks.

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 am

Heh, I was going to PM those guys and tell them that I didn't think the discussion was allowed.

Anyway, I didn't think the test was that tough. It certainly was no cake walk, but aside from a few curveballs, I think those Kaplan MC questions prepared me well. *fingers crossed*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

breadgiver

New

Post by breadgiver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 am

I walked out having no clue how I did. :oops: I did Barbari, Kaplan, and Themis questions. I'm not sure how many hours I studied, but I did start more than a week before. Yet, I have no clue. I'm leaning towards a fail, but everyone I talk to who passed said they felt the same way.

Normally, I could easily get a 56% (85/150). I've had years of practice :lol: . Who would have thought there would be so much stress for a 56! Can't wait to be stressing over a 67.5 (675/1000)

breadgiver

New

Post by breadgiver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:17 am

I have heard that the exam is curved. I know how a curve works, but how does the NCBE curve the MPRE? Do they throw out a few questions? Do they bump everyone within or exceeding a minimum score up a few points?

Is anyone else in a jurisdiction requiring an 85? I am in Texas. An 85/150 is a 56%, but I keep hearing and reading that a minimum of 32/50 is passing. 32/50 is 64%.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Hi folks - the MPRE people do not allow discussing the content of the questions outside the exam, so I need to ask you to not do so here. Further discussion of specific questions and answers will result in bans. Thanks.
Might I ask why? This was a pleasant, no-pressure discussion: no one was panicking or freaking out about the exam.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm

unlvcrjchick wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Hi folks - the MPRE people do not allow discussing the content of the questions outside the exam, so I need to ask you to not do so here. Further discussion of specific questions and answers will result in bans. Thanks.
Might I ask why? This was a pleasant, no-pressure discussion: no one was panicking or freaking out about the exam.
This is MPRE's rule, not TLS's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:47 pm

unlvcrjchick wrote:
Because the people who run the MPRE want to control their intellectual property, and forbid disclosing the questions after the test, which people agree not to do when they take the test. So we're not going to facilitate breaking that agreement here. Also, whether you think complying matters or not, testing companies tend to send TLS cease-and-desist letters when people discuss test contents on this site.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
unlvcrjchick wrote:
Because the people who run the MPRE want to control their intellectual property, and forbid disclosing the questions after the test, which people agree not to do when they take the test. So we're not going to facilitate breaking that agreement here. Also, whether you think complying matters or not, testing companies tend to send TLS cease-and-desist letters when people discuss test contents on this site.
Got it, thanks. I thought the rule was that the transmission of the actual question was prohibited, not discussions relating to the questions that were remembered via paraphrasing, which is why I asked.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm

breadgiver wrote:I have heard that the exam is curved. I know how a curve works, but how does the NCBE curve the MPRE? Do they throw out a few questions? Do they bump everyone within or exceeding a minimum score up a few points?

Is anyone else in a jurisdiction requiring an 85? I am in Texas. An 85/150 is a 56%, but I keep hearing and reading that a minimum of 32/50 is passing. 32/50 is 64%.
Arizona also requires a 85. No idea how they curve it, though, or even if they do. Some people have said they don’t curve it as we traditionally think of curves.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Holy fuck, I just went to NCBE’s site, and sure enough: one can’t even discuss a particular question from memory! This is nuts because they don’t even have you sign a statement to this effect on test day, nor do I recall having to do so or otherwise seeing this policy when I signed up for the exam either back in 2007 or again in 2017. They really should make this more clear.

Straight from the horse’s mouth:

“Examinees may not retain any test materials. All test materials must be returned intact to the test supervisor after testing. The following conduct is prohibited at all times, including after the examination:

sharing the substance or details of any test question, including the question’s fact pattern, option choices, or answer, in whole or in part, with anyone via electronic (including email, blogs, and online social and professional networking sites), telephonic, written, oral, or other means

reproducing, paraphrasing, summarizing, or describing to any other person any test content from memory
forwarding, re-posting, hosting, or otherwise advancing, on the Internet or via other means, the distribution of exam content that others have disclosed”

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm

If your proctors didn't read all the instructions out, that's on them. But when I took the test they made it pretty clear that you weren't allowed to casually discuss the questions.

But like why is this even a question. Literally every test that you probably took to get to this point in your life like the SAT or the LSAT have this rule in place.

It's also pretty intuitive. They reuse a lot of the questions in future tests so that they can equate them. If others get exposed to the questions/topics beforehand, the test becomes less reliable.
Last edited by Toubro on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm

breadgiver wrote:I have heard that the exam is curved. I know how a curve works, but how does the NCBE curve the MPRE? Do they throw out a few questions? Do they bump everyone within or exceeding a minimum score up a few points?

The NCBE doesn't curve any of its tests. They're equated so that it produces the same score regardless of the particular test you took.

That means yes, if you took a test that was more difficult that the usual MPRE, you'll get a bump. The idea is that you shouldn't be at a disadvantage for taking a test that happened to be harder.

Also, they throw questions out only if there's some issue with them not in order to bump scores. This issue could be that many skilled examinees split the baby w/r/t the right answer for that question, or if they discover some flaw in the question after the fact.

32 right is generally what's required for an 85, but you can't say for sure. Also you can't just compare the score required to pass out of 150 with the raw score required to pass out of 50 -- that's apples and oranges. The 85/150 = 56% isn't a useful calculation.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 pm

unlvcrjchick wrote:Holy fuck, I just went to NCBE’s site, and sure enough: one can’t even discuss a particular question from memory! This is nuts because they don’t even have you sign a statement to this effect on test day, nor do I recall having to do so or otherwise seeing this policy when I signed up for the exam either back in 2007 or again in 2017. They really should make this more clear.

Straight from the horse’s mouth

Yeah AFAIR, it was in the text you signed on the answer sheet.

Source: just took the test and the thing was there.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Toubro wrote:If your proctors didn't read all the instructions out, that's on them. But when I took the test they made it pretty clear that you weren't allowed to casually discuss the questions.

But like why is this even a question. Literally every test that you probably took to get to this point in your life like the SAT or the LSAT have this rule in place.

It's also pretty intuitive. They reuse a lot of the questions in future tests so that they can equate them. If others get exposed to the questions/topics beforehand, the test becomes less reliable.
My proctor did NOT read that provision. Nor did my answer sheet have this provision on there.

How is it intuitive that even discussing the question from memory is a violation of IP? If this is part of the contract we sign with them, then they should make it clear up front when you register for the exam; Ihad to click through several links on the NCBE website to find this.

Sorry but it’s impossible to recall what the SAT and LSAT policies were from 11-15 years ago. Again, the only thing recalled was that you can’t copy or otherwise disseminate the actual questions, which is intuitive.
Last edited by unlvcrjchick on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:23 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
unlvcrjchick wrote:Holy fuck, I just went to NCBE’s site, and sure enough: one can’t even discuss a particular question from memory! This is nuts because they don’t even have you sign a statement to this effect on test day, nor do I recall having to do so or otherwise seeing this policy when I signed up for the exam either back in 2007 or again in 2017. They really should make this more clear.

Straight from the horse’s mouth

Yeah AFAIR, it was in the text you signed on the answer sheet.

Source: just took the test and the thing was there.
Where exactly on the answer sheet? It wasn’t on the back that gave general instructions.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 pm

I don’t see how some test sheets would have this and some wouldn’t; it’s a standardized exam.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don’t see how some test sheets would have this and some wouldn’t; it’s a standardized exam.
I recall the statement was us certifying that we are the person we say we are whose name appears on the answer sheet. It was a small statement in the middle of the answer sheet on the first page: it did not contain the provision that I’ve been discussing.

For example. This explains the certifying statement with respect to the LSAT:

“Certifying Statement: You will be required to write and sign a certifying statement on your answer sheet attesting that the person taking the test is the person whose name appears on the answer sheet and that you are taking the test for the sole purpose of admission to law school. Failure to sign your answer sheet or to complete the certifying statement, or modifying the certifying statement in any way, will result in a hold on your file and possibly a delay in reporting your score”
Last edited by unlvcrjchick on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Right on the lower center of the exam sheet. It Maybe it was one entry ticket with the photo. I don't honestly remember, but there was one you had to sign and turn in

Agreement to not share, then signature and date line.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”