First Department Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: First Department

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Have any of the January 22nd people heard about ceremony times yet?

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 am

nope.

im thinking maybe after our interview?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Have any of the January 22nd people heard about ceremony times yet?
Yep, assuming you have yours too by now

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Toubro wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Have any of the January 22nd people heard about ceremony times yet?
Yep, assuming you have yours too by now
Yes, finally heard today!

Connoisseur

New

Post by Connoisseur » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 am

Can anyone confirm how many separate in-person appearances are required? My letter confirming receipt of my application lists tentative dates for the Personal Interview and for the Admission Ceremony. But it also says "You will also receive a Notice indicating the Date, Place and Time for your Oath Ceremony." Is that different from the Admission Ceremony? Also, the website (but not my letter) refers to a "mandatory orientation program." I was under the impression that only two in-person appearances (interview; ceremony) were required, but now I'm doubting that.

For those following the thread for dates, I submitted at end of December and am tentatively scheduled for May 10 interview and May 14 ceremony.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

Question:

I got my tentative dates about a month ago- still haven't gotten finalized date (tentative dates in March) which is making me a little nervous. What was the turn around time from tentative letter dates to finalized email dates for those that have finalized dates?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Connoisseur wrote:Can anyone confirm how many separate in-person appearances are required? My letter confirming receipt of my application lists tentative dates for the Personal Interview and for the Admission Ceremony. But it also says "You will also receive a Notice indicating the Date, Place and Time for your Oath Ceremony." Is that different from the Admission Ceremony? Also, the website (but not my letter) refers to a "mandatory orientation program." I was under the impression that only two in-person appearances (interview; ceremony) were required, but now I'm doubting that.

For those following the thread for dates, I submitted at end of December and am tentatively scheduled for May 10 interview and May 14 ceremony.
There used to be three, but now the orientation program is online so there are just two: interview and admission/oath ceremony.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Question, do we get the certificates of good standing at the oath ceremony? I need to submit that so that I can finally stop being a "law clerk"

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Toubro wrote:Question, do we get the certificates of good standing at the oath ceremony? I need to submit that so that I can finally stop being a "law clerk"
I don't know how 1st Dept. works but in 2nd, you could pay $5 on day of swearing-in (or any day thereafter) for a certificate of good standing (which was valid for 30 days).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonlaw24

New

Post by anonlaw24 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Any feb. 22 interview people out there? Waiting for our feb. 8 deadline to receive the time for the swearing in on the 26th.

Anyone who had the Jan. date, what time was your swearing in scheduled for? And does anyone know how long it actually takes?

anonlaw24

New

Post by anonlaw24 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Does anyone know how strict they are with tickets?

anonlaw24

New

Post by anonlaw24 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Anyone with Feb. 26 date get an email yet about the ceremony?

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

hey guys question-

for anyone that had to use the MV-15 form to request your drivers history- do you know if I can request an electronic version and submit that? Seems faster and I really don't want to miss my 3/1 deadline to get stuff in and have my date pushed back. Just unsure if they want the hard copy version forwarded or if it would be okay to print out the electronic version and no ones returning my calls lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:21 pm

anyone on for tentative 3/19 swear in on here? just wondering if you had any missing docs and if you've submitted and heard word that you're good to go or if I have to wait til 3/1-3/2 to know that.

thanks!!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:55 am

Carly wrote:hey guys question-

for anyone that had to use the MV-15 form to request your drivers history- do you know if I can request an electronic version and submit that? Seems faster and I really don't want to miss my 3/1 deadline to get stuff in and have my date pushed back. Just unsure if they want the hard copy version forwarded or if it would be okay to print out the electronic version and no ones returning my calls lol
They want a hard copy mailed from the DMV.

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
Carly wrote:hey guys question-

They want a hard copy mailed from the DMV.
thanks! i actually managed to figure it out in time. anyone else on this same swear in date? wondering what time we should expect it to be.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm

I attended law school from 2010 to 2013. I passed the NY bar exam in July 2017 on attempt #3. I took three years off between the 2nd and 3rd attempts because I was sick and depressed. I have all of the paperwork ready except for the moral affidavits. Two of them are required, but I only have one of them. Several people promised that they'd fill out an affidavit for me and they haven't done so.

I was somewhat of an introvert in law school. Several people who I knew moved out of state and/or have families. I even went as far as trying to bribe people to fill out my moral affidavit. I think it's unfair how I have to rely on someone else in order to further my career.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm

L_William_W wrote:I attended law school from 2010 to 2013. I passed the NY bar exam in July 2017 on attempt #3. I took three years off between the 2nd and 3rd attempts because I was sick and depressed. I have all of the paperwork ready except for the moral affidavits. Two of them are required, but I only have one of them. Several people promised that they'd fill out an affidavit for me and they haven't done so.

I was somewhat of an introvert in law school. Several people who I knew moved out of state and/or have families. I even went as far as trying to bribe people to fill out my moral affidavit. I think it's unfair how I have to rely on someone else in order to further my career.
I don't think it's unfair at all. Lawyers are required to have certain moral character given their unique privileges. The bar for meeting this standard is a joke. You need to submit two affidavits from ANYONE that has known you for more than 2 years who can say you are moral. That's it. The fact that you can't find anyone to do this, and that you admit to trying to bribe people to do this, is stunning.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 am

Got a swear-in date of July for submitting about 2-3 weeks ago :(

animalpeople

New

Post by animalpeople » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 am

I just sat for the bar for the first time last month (I'm a pro bono scholar). I know I cannot submit anything to the first department until I receive confirmation that I passed but is there any drawback to getting the affidavits I need to submit myself early?

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:46 pm

animalpeople wrote:I just sat for the bar for the first time last month (I'm a pro bono scholar). I know I cannot submit anything to the first department until I receive confirmation that I passed but is there any drawback to getting the affidavits I need to submit myself early?
Go for it, but note that moral affidavits and current employment affidavit expire 60 days from when notarized.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S.as.in.Snake

New

Post by S.as.in.Snake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
animalpeople wrote:I just sat for the bar for the first time last month (I'm a pro bono scholar). I know I cannot submit anything to the first department until I receive confirmation that I passed but is there any drawback to getting the affidavits I need to submit myself early?
Go for it, but note that moral affidavits and current employment affidavit expire 60 days from when notarized.
Where did you read that?

S.as.in.Snake

New

Post by S.as.in.Snake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm

S.as.in.Snake wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
Where did you read that?
For the record, I checked with the First Department and any forms (including those signed and notarized) are good for a year, not 60 days. I'm sure it was honest mistake but don't scare people haha

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:22 am

Oh oops. I saw it at the below link but looks like supplemental instructions for the 2nd department (and may be outdated). Lol and here I made my friend renotarize her affidavit for me....

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... ctions.pdf

animalpeople

New

Post by animalpeople » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 am

My early prep was not done in vain! Apparently, another perk of the pro bono scholar program is being able to apply to the C&F committee early. Yesterday, I received an email informing I can submit my materials now. I also received a username and password for the orientation videos.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”