2018 February DC Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ElPresidenteGrande

New

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Post by ElPresidenteGrande » Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am

I too was not successful this round. I emailed the Committee on Admissions this morning requesting my score breakdown, but I'm not sure if they will move very quickly. Does anyone know if the NCBE Score Request process is open and we can receive our transcript from NCBE now?

I am interested in meeting with a study group on the weekends. I am hesitant to commit to a full-time study group because I think that working through as many MBE questions as possible is the key to success, but I think meeting over weekends for a few hours may be a good motivator and method of tying up loose ends. Anyone is free to PM me if interested.

autodoor

New

Post by autodoor » Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 am

anandamide wrote:
autodoor wrote::cry: my boss sent me the sweetest email about how awesome I am anyway and now I can't stop crying. Ugh the worst part about this is TELLING people I failed AGAIN for the FOURTH TIME. Which is why I didn't tell many people I was retaking. :roll: The good thing is, it's four times in two different states, so I could retake DC if I wanted to--I still have two more chances to pass DC before I'm banned. I'm just really thinking this isn't for me though. I already have a pretty fulfilling career in a slightly different industry (policy, not law), so I just don't know if it's worth trying again because clearly this is not working.
I am so sorry. I tried to send you a PM but I can’t figure it out. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.
I can't figure out how to PM you either, so you can always email me at doorautomatica@gmail.com. It's just the worst feeling. Honestly, I really don't know if I can go through this again.

timesnewboston

New

Post by timesnewboston » Thu May 17, 2018 12:09 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
timesnewboston wrote:I'm so glad I passed but I had mentally prepared myself over the last week to retake, and I really feel for those who will have to. You will get it your second try! you were already 90% ready for the bar, so think of it like you're 90% there. I confess I was registered for the July 2017 bar and had severe anxiety and depressive episodes the few weeks leading up and ending up dead no-showing on test day with no call in or email. I took time off of my life in the city to go home and study from mid November all the way into February and also was in counseling and practicing meditation to deal with my anxiety and depression (also started medication and plan to stay on it for the foreseeable future). I am in such a better place because of it, but it was really a struggle. So in a way this was my second try. Good luck to the retakers, you will be SO much stronger for staying the course and accomplishing it.
Did you take Barbri? What was your midterm/actual MBE score?
I took Themis and was really happy with it. I always did very well on scored practice exams as long as I finished (both essay and multiple choice). I was confident that as long as I got to every question with reasonable time to answer (both MBE and MEE) that I would pass and that’s what happened.

JustJustice

New

Post by JustJustice » Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Krissynateylee wrote:Can't sleep :( any of the july retakers interested in forming a study group? Need motivation:(
A study group sounds like a good idea. I'm hoping they will email scores sometime next week, and I will have passed the MBE section. I will email you later next week about the study group. Looks like there are others interested so maybe we should set up an online group to discuss strategy?

perplixityparanoia

New

Post by perplixityparanoia » Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 pm

ElPresidenteGrande wrote:I too was not successful this round. I emailed the Committee on Admissions this morning requesting my score breakdown, but I'm not sure if they will move very quickly. Does anyone know if the NCBE Score Request process is open and we can receive our transcript from NCBE now?

I am interested in meeting with a study group on the weekends. I am hesitant to commit to a full-time study group because I think that working through as many MBE questions as possible is the key to success, but I think meeting over weekends for a few hours may be a good motivator and method of tying up loose ends. Anyone is free to PM me if interested.
NCBE is very fast in processing your score. You can place the request on their website and then email them (score.services@ncbex.org) asking for the score they will email you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoliLaw

New

Post by PoliLaw » Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

For anyone who did not pass, I have a ton of advice for the UBE. My story, I worked full time since 2016. Due to resources I was getting married and didnt have the money to spend on bar prep. My company paid for my travel, the exam, my computer, my hotel, etc so I wasnt going to ask them to cover my bar prep. My wife had taken the bar a few years ago and had a bunch of mbe books and outlines so I planned to just use those and Lean Sheets. I took the 2016 bar exam with doing 600 mbes, reading the subject outlines and going through nothing but one pagers from lean sheets for the essays. Why would anyone do this? I felt I had a strong enough grasp on the essay topics from law school so I could just wing it. Needless to say, I failed the exam I think i had a 129 MEE and 128 MBE. I was crushed. But I thought let me just get used kaplan books and I should be good this time around.
I retook the 2017 july exam. Still working full-time, I reluctantly asked my boss to pay for all the stuff again... He said sure.
Bar prep this time around- I did every single MBE i could find. I kid you not, this is the most effective way. If you are a retaker, DO NOT START STUDYING at the beginning of prep. Do 100 MBE questions for each subject. After you are done(PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS) do a spreadsheet with 4 columns after looking at the answer explanations 1) questions I got right because I knew the answer 2) Questions I got right because I knew enough about the answer to GUESS between 2 (3) Questions I got wrong because i didnt know the answer at all (4) questions i got wrong because I guessed between 2 and got it wrong.

Ok let me unpack why you should do this. You are about to prioritize what to study, it is imperative to distinguish what you know from what you dont.
(3) above is the highest priority study material. For me it was contractual damages. I went into the outlines and made sweet love to the damages section. (4) is second priority, (2) after that and then I know this is going to sound crazy but I did not restudy section (1) stuff at all.

For the MEE - i issue spotted all the essays in kaplans books. I bought a used themis ube book and issue spotted all those as well. I then did 1 MPT and took the exam.

I passed the MBE. I failed the MEE. Figures, I spent all my time and energy on the MBE.

So Feb 2018, I take just the MEE. I buy a Rigos MEE book. I do every essay in it. I do every essay in Kaplan. Not issue spot. Every essay. I complete 4 MPTS.

I pass the exam. Summary, Do not just sit down with Barbri or Kaplan or Themis and do the entire bar prep schedule if you are a RETAKER. Do as much practice as humanly possible.

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm

ElPresidenteGrande wrote:I too was not successful this round. I emailed the Committee on Admissions this morning requesting my score breakdown, but I'm not sure if they will move very quickly. Does anyone know if the NCBE Score Request process is open and we can receive our transcript from NCBE now?

I requested my score through NCBE yesterday and just received my score breakdown. Had to pay $25 but I’m impatient lol

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Thu May 17, 2018 4:41 pm

JustJustice wrote:
Krissynateylee wrote:Can't sleep :( any of the july retakers interested in forming a study group? Need motivation:(
A study group sounds like a good idea. I'm hoping they will email scores sometime next week, and I will have passed the MBE section. I will email you later next week about the study group. Looks like there are others interested so maybe we should set up an online group to discuss strategy?
Yeah I'm trying to open a thread for the study group but i can't seem to be able to...i guess it's because I'm a new member...

greatheights

New

Post by greatheights » Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Krissynateylee wrote:
JustJustice wrote:
Yeah I'm trying to open a thread for the study group but i can't seem to be able to...i guess it's because I'm a new member...
I just created a group, we'll see!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Thu May 17, 2018 6:22 pm

greatheights wrote:
Krissynateylee wrote:
JustJustice wrote:
I just created a group, we'll see!
Thank you! Ive just joined the thread, hope all of us retakers move over and start discussing the next steps...

anandamide

New

Post by anandamide » Thu May 17, 2018 10:47 pm

hanner22 wrote:

I requested my score through NCBE yesterday and just received my score breakdown. Had to pay $25 but I’m impatient lol
You get the entire MEE/MPT/MBE breakdown?

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am

anandamide wrote:
hanner22 wrote:

They only deal with MBE

DGPHMP

New

Post by DGPHMP » Fri May 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Krissynateylee wrote:
anandamide wrote:
hanner22 wrote:

They only deal with MBE
You can request an unofficial UBE score report from the NCBE and they will send you a score report for both parts for only $25. It takes one business day to receive it. Just go to your account and click score services and then in the drop down menu select UBE score and on the next page click the option to have an unofficial transcript sent to examinee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

meno22

New

Post by meno22 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Krissynateylee wrote:
anandamide wrote:
hanner22 wrote:

They only deal with MBE
I also requested my score (and paid the $25). They give you your overall written score and your mbe score, but don't break it down any more than that.

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm

DGPHMP wrote:
Krissynateylee wrote:
anandamide wrote:
hanner22 wrote:

They only deal with MBE
You can request an unofficial UBE score report from the NCBE and they will send you a score report for both parts for only $25. It takes one business day to receive it. Just go to your account and click score services and then in the drop down menu select UBE score and on the next page click the option to have an unofficial transcript sent to examinee.

Wow really? I thought they only release the MBE that's what i got?

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:30 pm

anandamide wrote:
hanner22 wrote:

They give you your scaled MBE score & scaled written score.

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Fri May 18, 2018 1:40 pm

hanner22 wrote:
anandamide wrote:
hanner22 wrote:

They give you your scaled MBE score & scaled written score.
Darn it!! I saw the options but selected only MBE because i remembered i read someplace that they only give out MBE...holy crap! Now I'm gonna pay $50 because i really need to Know...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dogzncatz

New

Post by dogzncatz » Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Has anyone been able to start a new application? I can't view my old one and the red "start application" button just takes me to the main page.

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Who else lacks the energy to restart the bar application:( why are they making us upload the C&F again.

DGPHMP

New

Post by DGPHMP » Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm

For those that passed what is your application status? Mine is still on 3 and the C&F tab is still pending NCBE report.

Does anyone know how long these next steps take?

ElPresidenteGrande

New

Post by ElPresidenteGrande » Fri May 18, 2018 4:51 pm

I understood the email to mean that we were to just upload our previous C&F application if it was completed within the past 12 months. Am I reading that email incorrectly?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LaShuanMichelle

New

Post by LaShuanMichelle » Fri May 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Score breakdown email received!

dogzncatz

New

Post by dogzncatz » Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I got a 264. ;( There is no process to appeal anymore? Whatsoever?

Mjevans610

New

Post by Mjevans610 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Has anyone who passed gotten an email yet? I have not received anything. I am also still on step 3 and my character and fitness says “pending report”. The NCBE website does say their portion is complete and was sent to DC.

DGPHMP

New

Post by DGPHMP » Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Mjevans610 wrote:Has anyone who passed gotten an email yet? I have not received anything. I am also still on step 3 and my character and fitness says “pending report”. The NCBE website does say their portion is complete and was sent to DC.
I haven’t received an email about my passing score either. They’re probably worked on first getting out the emails for those that need to reapply for the July bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”