Georgia Bar 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tlaw1

New

Re: Georgia Bar 2017

Post by tlaw1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 pm

If anyone needs advice, they can pm me. I passed the bar exam with some cushion.

I only competed 51% of my bar prep course and I had a job where I worked 30+ hours a week. I also went on vacation in between.

I’m more than happy to give advice should anyone need it!

tlaw1

New

Post by tlaw1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Thebariscoming wrote:
S0M21L wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:Passed. 3rd try. From 250 to a 279.

To those who did not pass, I understand what you're going through. Let me know if I can help.
Congratulations!
Hey! Congratulations to you and everyone who passed. Unfortunately, I did not. My MBE was a 123 and I was hoping that my essays will pull me through but it didn't. I would appreciate any advice on the MBE cause I think that's what doomed me. Did anyone take private tutors here? What supplements did you all use in addition to your bar prep course. I have 4 months until the next exam and I would appreciate any help at this point. I hope you all understand. Thank you.
I only finished half of my prep course. My biggest advice is don’t follow the bar prep course schedule. Instead, read the black letter law in the long outlines. Do at least 5-10 MBE questions a day. Buy critical pass notecards. And use the short outlines near the time of the test to make sure you have most of it down.

Don’t waste your time on the lecture videos!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:37 am

tlaw1 wrote:
Thebariscoming wrote:
S0M21L wrote:
Usa0523 wrote:Passed. 3rd try. From 250 to a 279.

To those who did not pass, I understand what you're going through. Let me know if I can help.
Congratulations!
Hey! Congratulations to you and everyone who passed. Unfortunately, I did not. My MBE was a 123 and I was hoping that my essays will pull me through but it didn't. I would appreciate any advice on the MBE cause I think that's what doomed me. Did anyone take private tutors here? What supplements did you all use in addition to your bar prep course. I have 4 months until the next exam and I would appreciate any help at this point. I hope you all understand. Thank you.
I only finished half of my prep course. My biggest advice is don’t follow the bar prep course schedule. Instead, read the black letter law in the long outlines. Do at least 5-10 MBE questions a day. Buy critical pass notecards. And use the short outlines near the time of the test to make sure you have most of it down.

Don’t waste your time on the lecture videos!
Yes and no, in my opinion. I also passed with a decent cushion and I found the videos helpful. I would listen to them while I did other stuff: folding laundry, working out, walking the dog, etc. The important thing is to try to figure out how you learn and go from there.

Usa0523

New

Post by Usa0523 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 am

To me, the videos are a waste of time also. I passed, but I I had to do it all again, I wouldn't watch a video. I'd drill mbe questions and read every explanations for both right and wrong answers. This is the most useful because you will get mbe practice and reading the explanations is essentially the same as listening to the videos, except more precise and you also get to practice mbe questions at the same time. Also, the explanations will help with essay prep because at least a couple of the subjects will fully or partially be on the essays.

That all being said, I agree with the comment above about listening when you're doing other stuff. If you're driving somewhere or doing chores or errands and you can't do prac questions, then listening to the vids doesn't hurt at all. I'd definitely prioritize what videos by what subjects you struggled with most.

Again, dm me for info on the course I took. My first bar exam was a 250 and my second was a 248. Third was a 279. Massive jumps can happen!

Best of luck

Thebariscoming

New

Post by Thebariscoming » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:20 pm

MS-NFL-GABARTAKER wrote:
Thebariscoming wrote:
MS-NFL-GABARTAKER wrote:PASSED! 7 points over. Any tips that I can give. I am willing.
Please do! I will be taking the February one. Missed it by 20 points.
Sure I made a 138 on the MBE. I took Barbri and completed 90% of the course. I was up and down on the Practice Sets but I didn't stop. I completed all MBE Questions given except for some of the diagnostics questions. Scored a 112 on the Simulated MBE. I said to myself that I needed more prep if I was going to pass this test. So I bought the Emmanuel MBE Strategies and Tactics and did all the questions in that book for each section (except Civ Pro because there was no section in my book, it was my favorite subject in law school and I was scoring in the 90th percentile in Civ Pro). I started to use Emmanuel halfway through Barbri when I became discouraged and frustrated. The approach that Emmanuel takes is very strategic and I liked how detailed the explanations were in the back of the book. One tip of advice that I can definitely give is that in addition to whats above is that you must know your weaknesses and hone in on them. I knew that my strengths were Civ Pro, Evidence, and Crim Law/Pro. The remaining subjects were difficult in my eyes and I had to work even harder on those. That's where I really used Emanuel. Emanuel also has a huge book of mock MBE questions (posted the amazon link below). In sum, for the MBE my suggestion is to practice practice practice. My professor who transferred from another law school did a poll of past bar exam test takers and the trend that he saw was students who practiced 2,000+ questions have a higher percentage of passing the bar exam than those who don't. Though the study may likely have some flaws it stuck out to me while studying. I wish you the best of luck and PM me if you have any more questions. You'll get it on the second time, I'm sure. Godspeed.

Links: https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... manuel+mbe

https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... manuel+mbe

(The new FINZ Book does have Civ Pro.)
Thank you so much for your advice. I am definitely going to buy Emanuel and thank you so much for posting the links as well. I have few more questions so I will PM you instead. Once again, Congratulations!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thebariscoming

New

Post by Thebariscoming » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your tips and success stories with me. As of now, I have kaplan and Emanuel to start my preparation with. Do you all think that I should get adaptibar as well? I have heard some good reviews but I am not sure yet. I was also thinking of taking a diagnostic test to see where I am at presently.

I was also wondering whether you all could share your preparation schedules and techniques with me. Like how did you start preparing, what did you focus on initially, memorization tips, outlines, etc. I followed Kaplan's schedule as much as possible but I'm also sure that there's a better way to do this. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Thank you so much.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:01 am

Thebariscoming wrote:Thank you so much everyone for sharing your tips and success stories with me. As of now, I have kaplan and Emanuel to start my preparation with. Do you all think that I should get adaptibar as well? I have heard some good reviews but I am not sure yet. I was also thinking of taking a diagnostic test to see where I am at presently.

I was also wondering whether you all could share your preparation schedules and techniques with me. Like how did you start preparing, what did you focus on initially, memorization tips, outlines, etc. I followed Kaplan's schedule as much as possible but I'm also sure that there's a better way to do this. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Thank you so much.
Strongly recommend Adaptibar + Critical Pass flashcards.

letsdothis123

New

Post by letsdothis123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 am

Did you guys receive the certification of eligibility?

MS-NFL-GABARTAKER

New

Post by MS-NFL-GABARTAKER » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 pm

letsdothis123 wrote:Did you guys receive the certification of eligibility?
I received mines Tuesday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flyygal

New

Post by Flyygal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 pm

17L wrote:Passed! 156 MBE thank goodness. For anyone that is concerned about the MBE, I recommend AdaptiBar. I didn’t take a bar prep course. Only used adaptibar and bought 2 year old bar prep materials from someone online. Just drill adaptibar questions and you’ll be fine. Congrats to everyone.

17L, Can i ask from personal experience if the actual MBE questions were anything like the Adaptibar questions? I have been drilling in on the Adaptibar questions but as the time gets closer for the exams I'm getting jitters and i feel Adaptibar is giving me a false sense of security. if i may ask what was your average score on Adaptibar and what strategies were you using when studying with Adaptibar?

NotoriousRBG90

New

Post by NotoriousRBG90 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:56 pm

Flyygal wrote:
17L wrote:Passed! 156 MBE thank goodness. For anyone that is concerned about the MBE, I recommend AdaptiBar. I didn’t take a bar prep course. Only used adaptibar and bought 2 year old bar prep materials from someone online. Just drill adaptibar questions and you’ll be fine. Congrats to everyone.

I'm taking the Feb 2018 Attorney Exam, currently licensed in CA, and am looking to purchase materials to study for the GA Specific/Essay Topics. If anyone has any to sell or has any recommendations, let me know!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Can you even PM on here anymore?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”