UBE to New York Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
villanovajew

New

UBE to New York

Post by villanovajew » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi! Quick question.... so I passed the UBE with a 300 so I can waive into any UBE state in the next few years. For New York, I know that usually, applicants have to complete a certain amount of community service. Does that requirement apply for UBE score transferers? Also, does anyone know if serving a state judicial clerkship satisfies this community service/pro bono requirement? Thanks!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Re: UBE to New York

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 am

I transferred my UBE score to NY a few months ago. You are required to complete the Pro Bono requirement, which is 50 hours. You're also required to meet all of the other requirements for admission (MPRE > 85, completion of NYLC, passing score on NYLE, and all the character and fitness requirements like forms from your law school and employment and moral character affidavits). I think only applicants applying for admission by motion have different and easier requirements.

As for the clerkship, was it a full-time paid clerkship after law school? Or are you talking about an externship with a judge during law school? An externship for academic credit counts. If it was a paid position, I don't think so. The definition is pretty broad in that you can get certain types of funding and/or academic credit for the pro bono work. But a paid salary position seems like a stretch. There's a fact sheet on the BOLE website that you can reference though and contact information to ask.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Re: UBE to New York

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 am

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I transferred my UBE score to NY a few months ago. You are required to complete the Pro Bono requirement, which is 50 hours. You're also required to meet all of the other requirements for admission (MPRE > 85, completion of NYLC, passing score on NYLE, and all the character and fitness requirements like forms from your law school and employment and moral character affidavits). I think only applicants applying for admission by motion have different and easier requirements.

As for the clerkship, was it a full-time paid clerkship after law school? Or are you talking about an externship with a judge during law school? An externship for academic credit counts. If it was a paid position, I don't think so. The definition is pretty broad in that you can get certain types of funding and/or academic credit for the pro bono work. But a paid salary position seems like a stretch. There's a fact sheet on the BOLE website that you can reference though and contact information to ask.
By the way, here's the link to check out: https://www.nybarexam.org/MPB.html

The FAQ is pretty thorough. The closest Q&A is number 28 about post-grad employment (if your clerkship was completed after law school). However, it focuses on applicants who complete pro bono projects at firms. I'd shoot an email to the contact at the bottom of the FAQ page.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”