Wait to take Mass bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
stewie27

Bronze

Wait to take Mass bar?

Post by stewie27 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm an associate at a firm; barred in another state already. Firm is willing to pay for me taking the Massachusetts bar. My plan was to take the exam this February, but am wondering if it's worth waiting until July when Mass goes to the UBE. I'm not particularly worried about passing the Mass bar, but am wondering if there are benefits to waiting (maybe studying for UBE would be easier?). I don't have plans to get barred in another state, but maybe it would be beneficial to have a UBE score. I think I'd rather be extra busy with work/studying in the winter than in the summer, but is that a good enough reason to not take the UBE?

jacketyellow

Bronze

Re: Wait to take Mass bar?

Post by jacketyellow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:58 pm

stewie27 wrote:I'm an associate at a firm; barred in another state already. Firm is willing to pay for me taking the Massachusetts bar. My plan was to take the exam this February, but am wondering if it's worth waiting until July when Mass goes to the UBE. I'm not particularly worried about passing the Mass bar, but am wondering if there are benefits to waiting (maybe studying for UBE would be easier?). I don't have plans to get barred in another state, but maybe it would be beneficial to have a UBE score. I think I'd rather be extra busy with work/studying in the winter than in the summer, but is that a good enough reason to not take the UBE?
I think you should wait to take the UBE. The UBE is standardized. And, you won't have to learn state specific laws. It probably won't be a problem for you, but it was definitely helpful for me to just learn the common law rules I learned in law school and apply them on the bar, rather than having to learn state distinctions to those rules. That's just me, though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”