Bar application: To whom should I send affidavits for my employment history? Admin? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
drive

New

Bar application: To whom should I send affidavits for my employment history? Admin?

Post by drive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

In the process of NY/NJ application.

Did you guys send law-related employment to partners or associates you worked for or administrative staffs? I worked for boutique firms and paralegal supervised most of the process. We didn't have sufficient contacts with attorneys, except for discussing work products occasionally.

cron1834

Gold

Re: Bar application: To whom should I send affidavits for my employment history? Admin?

Post by cron1834 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm

I used my firm's recruiter. That was the person I spent the most time interacting with anyway.

drive

New

Re: Bar application: To whom should I send affidavits for my employment history? Admin?

Post by drive » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 pm

The NY FORM AFFIDAVIT AS TO APPLICANT’S LAW-RELATED EMPLOYMENT says "To be completed only by affiants who are attorneys"

Has anyone done this? To which attorney should I send my law-related employment affidavit? I don't think recruiters are the right contact.

deathsaber99

New

Post by deathsaber99 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 pm

A lady from the character and fitness committee said they really want a direct supervisor to fill it out. Some places have a policy where the executive fills it out (Manhattan DA the Executive ADA fills them all out) and I guess that is okay. But I checked - HR may not fill it out; must be an attorney and preferably an attorney who knows your work. That is because attorneys are bound by the rules of professional conduct (in NY at least) to be truthful in their responses.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:08 pm

drive wrote:The NY FORM AFFIDAVIT AS TO APPLICANT’S LAW-RELATED EMPLOYMENT says "To be completed only by affiants who are attorneys"

Has anyone done this? To which attorney should I send my law-related employment affidavit? I don't think recruiters are the right contact.
Actually this isn't a requirement. If it was solo practice the form needs to be completed by an attorney, but otherwise it doesn't have to be. I think you're misreading question 2, which is a part of the form that only attorneys fill out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drive

New

Post by drive » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

deathsaber99 wrote: But I checked - HR may not fill it out; must be an attorney and preferably an attorney who knows your work. That is because attorneys are bound by the rules of professional conduct (in NY at least) to be truthful in their responses.
I actually checked it out with the NY committee - they said an office manager, HR, etc are allowed to fill it out. It doesn't have to be an attorney.

deathsaber99

New

Post by deathsaber99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
drive wrote:The NY FORM AFFIDAVIT AS TO APPLICANT’S LAW-RELATED EMPLOYMENT says "To be completed only by affiants who are attorneys"

Actually this isn't a requirement. If it was solo practice the form needs to be completed by an attorney, but otherwise it doesn't have to be. I think you're misreading question 2, which is a part of the form that only attorneys fill out.
I did not misread the form; I asked the question from someone in the 1st Department Character and Fitness Committee at a New York City Bar event and received the response that HR may not fill out the form.

Whether other departments or states are different - I have no idea. But the person in 1st Department who oversees the process said she did not accept HR.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 pm

I understand that it should be your supervisor (and an office manager would honestly probably be fine), but that doesn't mean it has to be an attorney. If the person at the event said that only an attorney can fill out the employment affidavit, then that contradicts the actual form.

deathsaber99

New

Post by deathsaber99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 am

Slytherpuff wrote:I understand that it should be your supervisor (and an office manager would honestly probably be fine), but that doesn't mean it has to be an attorney. If the person at the event said that only an attorney can fill out the employment affidavit, then that contradicts the actual form.
I agree, it does contradict the form. I asked the question twice just because I did not believe the response. But she said it once, I asked it a second time, and then after the event - a third. I have no explanation for that.

Maybe people need to call and confirm in the 1st Department? But, just in case, I asked an attorney to replace the employer affidavit I received from HR for one of my internships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”