2018 February Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sarahbeck10

New

Re: 2018 February Illinois Bar

Post by sarahbeck10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:51 pm

The waiting is torturous..I really hope we get results this Friday. :(

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:04 pm

PikeMence wrote:I got it too.

This topic has not heard from anyone who didn't receive the contact info update email, so there's no reason to speculate that it's either 1) anything other than an email to all examinees; or 2) a positive sign to have received it.
IMHO it was an automated system message so no need to get excited over it.

Al_Decisis

New

Post by Al_Decisis » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm

Seems like we won't be finding out tomorrow. Somewhat a relief, before I start to panic all over again on Monday.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Al_Decisis wrote:Seems like we won't be finding out tomorrow. Somewhat a relief, before I start to panic all over again on Monday.
I agree.

I had written this in another thread...

Im starting to think Illinois may not be released until the 6th - in the last few cycles the scoring memo and percentile equivilent pages update with new info the day before. Its possible that it will happen later today (Ill be checking on behalf of my significant other) but my confidence in the 3/30 release date has been shaken a bit.

For those who are Illinois takers there are two pages that will (eventually) change for the February 2018 exam:

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/july-2017-scoring-memo
https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/feb-201 ... ent-charts

In the past you could change the month/year in that URL and bring up the site prior to it actually being released - it wont help you know if you passed/failed but it would ensure what day the results were being released and would be a time killer to play around with.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks. Any possibility they pull a hat trick and release the scores on Monday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 am

RCinDNA wrote:Thanks. Any possibility they pull a hat trick and release the scores on Monday?
Is it possible? Sure.

The bar has had a tendency to release on Fridays - I am not entirely sure why that is other than to allow the weekend to settle people down, release the score reports on Monday/Tuesday to those who have failed and try to avoid some phone calls.

I played with the websites again this morning, nothing new, I could still be wrong and results could come out, but I am dubious at this point.

Al_Decisis

New

Post by Al_Decisis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 am

They probably won’t, considering they haven’t released the scoring memo. The waiting game continues.

Go4broke

New

Post by Go4broke » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:14 am

I don’t think February’s percentile charts are ever released early.

I haven’t seen one yet. I believe it is only July. I have had a buddy that has taken it five times. He passed last July and he looked at his previous messages.

I have a sneaking suspicion we are looking at next week though.

Fielder

New

Post by Fielder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:11 am

I just got my results. Good luck to all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cm89

New

Post by cm89 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:13 am

Results posted. Good luck everyone.

Daktah

New

Post by Daktah » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 am

Just got email and logged in to get message.

Passed! Last name starts with F.

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 am

So does this mean that 60% of people scored higher than a 135 or that 40% of people did from the statistics page on MBE.

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/percent ... s-feb-2018

jcdetroit

New

Post by jcdetroit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 am

Are February exams usually this brutal? Looks like around a 50% overall pass rate, I think.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:02 pm

In a surprising move the results have indeed been posted - makes me think they had to have been ready on Friday but something help things up?

As a note to everyone, my girlfriend passed this time. This was her FOURTH (4th) attempt at a bar, once in Michigan and now three times here in Illinois. She went from being a LONG way away in her first ever attempt to (barely) passing the wring portion (getting a 133 on the nose her first attempt in Illinois) to then raising her MBE score up to passing level only to see her essays drop off (IL second attempt 3rd overall attempt) to finally passing on her fourth.

I say this to anyone receiving bad news - its possible to pass, you gotta change things up in your prep a bit (doing the same thing expecting different results is the definition of insanity) but the point is, you can fail, fail, fail and still pull it off if you don't give up. My GF was not the world's strongest student (sub 3.0 at tier 4) and even has a language barrier growing up in a foreign household, but she kept at it, changed up her strategy and she saw her scores increase to the point of passing.

It's doable. I know the feeling sucks now, but do not give up.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:13 pm

jcdetroit wrote:Are February exams usually this brutal? Looks like around a 50% overall pass rate, I think.

I was just running the math, it does appear that a 266 (the score needing to pass) would put the pass rate somewhere right near 50%.

I am not going to look up the historical numbers right now (I had for other posts if you want to search through my history) but this is about right for February - in fact, it is a bit higher than February 2017 if my memory is correct.

The scary number, to me, is that the median score was likely a 135 or so on the MBE which would be a solid 5 points lower than the National average from July 2017. That's a significant drop, though the real comparison would have to be February 2017 to be fair based on relatively similarly situated takers.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:20 pm

pech71 wrote:So does this mean that 60% of people scored higher than a 135 or that 40% of people did from the statistics page on MBE.

I read those results to reflect that 60th percentile means 40% score higher than a 135, meanwhile, 59% scored lower...its a pretty poor MBE score (but passing) it also would translate to nearly 55-57% of students hitting just above/at/below the necessary 133. Without looking at February 2017 I don't know for sure how it compares to previous exams.

Al_Decisis

New

Post by Al_Decisis » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Haven’t open up my results yet, but not feeling confident that I passed considering I received another email saying there was an error on how to reapply for the bar exam.....

That being said, congratulations to everyone that passed!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Al_Decisis wrote:Haven’t open up my results yet, but not feeling confident that I passed considering I received another email saying there was an error on how to reapply for the bar exam.....

That being said, congratulations to everyone that passed!
Just open it and check! You wont know until you know!

zer1330

New

Post by zer1330 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Have other people who haven't passed received two emails? One with results and one saying there was an error on how to reapply for the bar exam?

radjo

New

Post by radjo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:48 pm

So does this mean that the national MBE mean is lower for this exam and even if I did not do so well in MBE there is still some hope of passing the bar? I am from NY in case that matters...
jcdetroit wrote:Are February exams usually this brutal? Looks like around a 50% overall pass rate, I think.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:18 pm

radjo wrote:So does this mean that the national MBE mean is lower for this exam and even if I did not do so well in MBE there is still some hope of passing the bar? I am from NY in case that matters...

This is just one state, but I am dubious that Illinois would be significantly behind the national average (maybe by a point perhaps). In most states that weight the MBE/Written portion evenly (or close) there is always the hope that your written portion could carry a lower than expected MBE score to a passing average. Joe Separac has written on this subject (or at least similar subject) essay scores can be high variance from test to test based on your grader and just what topics are tested, the MBE generally stays consistent (without something changing regarding studying/preparing for that portion).

Id assume the national average for the February 2018 is hovering around 136-ish, depending on what the cut score is in your state that may not scare you. For Illinois where you need a 266 total to pass a 136 is ok because it leaves the taker needing a 130+ to pass (which is not a strong score, for this test I would put you at the 44th percentile, below average). In Michigan, where you need a 270 a 136 isn't bad (its almost exactly what you need to pass) as you would need a 134 on the written portion to pass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Legallybrunettes

New

Post by Legallybrunettes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Idk if this helps but I received only one email and passed. Good luck to all!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:09 pm

ndbigdave wrote:In a surprising move the results have indeed been posted - makes me think they had to have been ready on Friday but something help things up?

As a note to everyone, my girlfriend passed this time. This was her FOURTH (4th) attempt at a bar, once in Michigan and now three times here in Illinois. She went from being a LONG way away in her first ever attempt to (barely) passing the wring portion (getting a 133 on the nose her first attempt in Illinois) to then raising her MBE score up to passing level only to see her essays drop off (IL second attempt 3rd overall attempt) to finally passing on her fourth.

I say this to anyone receiving bad news - its possible to pass, you gotta change things up in your prep a bit (doing the same thing expecting different results is the definition of insanity) but the point is, you can fail, fail, fail and still pull it off if you don't give up. My GF was not the world's strongest student (sub 3.0 at tier 4) and even has a language barrier growing up in a foreign household, but she kept at it, changed up her strategy and she saw her scores increase to the point of passing.

It's doable. I know the feeling sucks now, but do not give up.
+1

Congrats to her! Now celebrate properly! :D

My $.02

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Received the email at 10:14 am. So glad I do not have to study for any more tests!!! 8)

Hilarious how TLS has records of my entire law school career, from LSAT prep and my efforts to pass my first bar exam.

On one hand, I want to see my scores. OTOH I only care for reciprocity purposes and do not want to think about this test for a few months.

Thanks all for the laughs and encouragement!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Passed. Thank God lol! Got an email confirming character and fitness certification a few days before for what it's worth, may not be/probably isn't related.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”