2018 February Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
aleeforever

New

Re: 2018 February Illinois Bar

Post by aleeforever » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am

KaleidoscopeDream wrote:not retaking but just posting to say i'm around if anyone wants study tips, just to chat/vent, etc
Hi I'm taking IL bar for the first time and I have some questions. Will you be open for some PM chatting?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 am

Now I am considering contacting my processor about starting my third bar application after all of this stress.

Go4broke

New

Post by Go4broke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 am

RCinDNA wrote:Now I am considering contacting my processor about starting my third bar application after all of this stress.

I actually did the other day.

I’m still trying to figure out how to calculate the possibilities.

Megatron15

New

Post by Megatron15 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am

Just want to make sure I’m reading the state bar website correctly- if we wait until the February results are released to see if we failed before registering for the July exam, it costs $1000 to register? But if we just assume we failed and register before April 1 (presumably before the results are released) we could save $ and only pay $700?

If that’s correct, that system seems flawed. Doesn’t seem fair to make retakers pay an escalating fee just for waiting to see if retaking is even necessary.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Megatron15 wrote:Just want to make sure I’m reading the state bar website correctly- if we wait until the February results are released to see if we failed before registering for the July exam, it costs $1000 to register? But if we just assume we failed and register before April 1 (presumably before the results are released) we could save $ and only pay $700?

If that’s correct, that system seems flawed. Doesn’t seem fair to make retakers pay an escalating fee just for waiting to see if retaking is even necessary.
The bar exam administrators only care about maximizing revenue. Maybe individual graders care about the financial impacts but not many.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 pm

So, yeah, I was just planning on locking in my slot since I would need to get C&F references together.

MLawstudent9

New

Post by MLawstudent9 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Does anyone know whether you need to redo C&F if you end up failing? I took the Feb 18 bar and am so nervous. How is everyone staying positive?

JarjarBinks2019

New

Post by JarjarBinks2019 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Megatron15 wrote:Just want to make sure I’m reading the state bar website correctly- if we wait until the February results are released to see if we failed before registering for the July exam, it costs $1000 to register? But if we just assume we failed and register before April 1 (presumably before the results are released) we could save $ and only pay $700?

No. I don't believe so. On their website, it states that if you HAVE registered for the IL exam before (which you would have if you're waiting for results) then your deadline would be May 1, 2018 - the filing fee is $500.

JarjarBinks2019

New

Post by JarjarBinks2019 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm

No - that's incorrect. You will not need to prepare an application prior to finding out the results. If you HAVE registered for the IL bar exam previously, you will have until May 1, 2018 to file another application (if you failed) - the application fee will be $500. It's on the IL Board of Admissions website.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danieldeluis

New

Post by danieldeluis » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Anybody know when scores are going to be released?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 am

The prediction is Friday, March 30, at the earliest. Based off prior release times, you will know if you passed if you get an e-mail notification by a certain time. I can’t confirm this but I hear the passers get messages around 8:30 am and the other mesages go out around 8:40-8:50 am. Could be inaccurate, though.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 am

RCinDNA wrote:The prediction is Friday, March 30, at the earliest. Based off prior release times, you will know if you passed if you get an e-mail notification by a certain time. I can’t confirm this but I hear the passers get messages around 8:30 am and the other mesages go out around 8:40-8:50 am. Could be inaccurate, though.
My best guess is March 30 otherwise it would be April 6.

I would not read too much into the exact time you receive the message to be perfectly honest as in years passed emails were trickling out throughout the day with different results (passing and failing). I do think the attempt to push out result emails early (the 8:30 time sounds about right). You will get a notification in your personal email that you have a new message on your Illinois Bar Account, log in and there will be a message titled something to the effect of "Test Results" click on the message and you will be told if you passed or failed. If failed you will get your score report likely on the following Monday with an option to buy your test written answers + sample answers for $25.

Kaycoleman90

New

Post by Kaycoleman90 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am

Did anyone else get an email about updating contact info??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:50 am

Kaycoleman90 wrote:Did anyone else get an email about updating contact info??
Yes, but it is an automated system message. I would not read into it unless it cane from your processor as i am sure everyone gets the same message. I did not get one last summer but I was a first time taker and my info had already been updated.

I am not being pessimistic, though - just read that to imply that they were using the updated names for all examinee results including those who may need to re-take.

Fielder

New

Post by Fielder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 am

danieldeluis wrote:Anybody know when scores are going to be released?
My guess is April 6. I know it has been March 31, April 1 in the past. But in 2016 and 2017, the test was given Feb 22/23. This year it was Feb 27/28. Since the test was 1 week later than normal this year, I'm guessing results will be one week later too.

Fielder

New

Post by Fielder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am

Also, I wouldn't put much thought at all into time of your email and any correlation it has to pass/fail. I got my email at 8:01 and failed in July. I had friends who passed get emails at 8:10 and 9:55. So if your email hasn't shown up by 9am, do not assume the worst. I think it's more about their servers keeping up than sending out results in any given order.

huykachu

New

Post by huykachu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
Yes, but it is an automated system message. I would not read into it unless it cane from your processor as i am sure everyone gets the same message. I did not get one last summer but I was a first time taker and my info had already been updated.

I am not being pessimistic, though - just read that to imply that they were using the updated names for all examinee results including those who may need to re-take.
This was my fourth time taking the IL bar, but my first time receiving the email about updating contact info. I don't want to get my hopes up but the wording of the email sounds like it's at least heading toward good news...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

huykachu

New

Post by huykachu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:59 pm

RCinDNA wrote:

This was my fourth time taking the IL bar but my first time receiving the email about updating contact info. I don't want to get my hopes up but the wording of the email at least seems like it's heading toward good news...

JarjarBinks2019

New

Post by JarjarBinks2019 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm

So, I'm assuming everyone got that e-mail? I'm thinking of contacting my processor and asking whether results will be released on Friday, March 30, as they have been in previous years.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:27 pm

JarjarBinks2019 wrote:So, I'm assuming everyone got that e-mail? I'm thinking of contacting my processor and asking whether results will be released on Friday, March 30, as they have been in previous years.
I am assuming that it was an automated message and everyone received it. I have not been asking other test-takers I know if they received it, though.

Daktah

New

Post by Daktah » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

I am assuming that it was an automated message and everyone received it. I have not been asking other test-takers I know if they received it, though

Got it too - seems like and automated message. My biggest takeaway was that they want updated info by 4/1 (after 3/30 target-release date). Maybe that means we're getting scores on 4/6?? Hoping for 3/30 to end this waiting game.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
JarjarBinks2019 wrote:So, I'm assuming everyone got that e-mail? I'm thinking of contacting my processor and asking whether results will be released on Friday, March 30, as they have been in previous years.
I am assuming that it was an automated message and everyone received it. I have not been asking other test-takers I know if they received it, though.
I can attest that my girlfriend received it today.

I dont remember receiving it in the past when I passed.

I wouldn't read much into it, but I am all for being positive!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 pm

I went through my email and did not receive it last summer when I did not pass so it’s a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ situation.

Honestly, my gut tells me that they just said something about needing to get your updated information for accurate listing on your license as a way to get people to update.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I went through my email and did not receive it last summer when I did not pass so it’s a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ situation.

Honestly, my gut tells me that they just said something about needing to get your updated information for accurate listing on your license as a way to get people to update.
I am dubious that this means anything.

The one thing that did change from February 16 to July 16 was that I definitely got something from C&F right before results came out about completing my file and needing information to set up a meeting with an attorney. I did NOT get one prior to the February results (failed) but did get one prior to July (passed) I suppose this won't mean anything if you are already cleared, but I thought in retrospect that my processor must have known something beforehand in each occasion to cause the email to be sent when I was passing as opposed to when I did not. Is there a definitive connection? Absolutely not, but it was something I noted was different between the two times I went through the process.

PikeMence

New

Post by PikeMence » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

I got it too.

This topic has not heard from anyone who didn't receive the contact info update email, so there's no reason to speculate that it's either 1) anything other than an email to all examinees; or 2) a positive sign to have received it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”