Taking two bars at the same time Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sparkytrainer

Silver

Taking two bars at the same time

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 am

I am wondering if anyone here has taken two bars at the same time (i.e. in July)? Assuming of course you can get it to work date wise. Any success or failure stories are helpful. It is also helpful to know which two states, and how you prepped. Thanks!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Re: Taking two bars at the same time

Post by hockeyman969 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:19 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:I am wondering if anyone here has taken two bars at the same time (i.e. in July)? Assuming of course you can get it to work date wise. Any success or failure stories are helpful. It is also helpful to know which two states, and how you prepped. Thanks!
Not personally, but there are a ton who have done NY and NJ; NJ and PA. I know one who did FL and MA who is running 50% waiting for mass score. Extremely doable imo.

LandEsquire

New

Post by LandEsquire » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:11 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:I am wondering if anyone here has taken two bars at the same time (i.e. in July)? Assuming of course you can get it to work date wise. Any success or failure stories are helpful. It is also helpful to know which two states, and how you prepped. Thanks!
I took Florida and New Jersey in July 2011 and passed both. New Jersey was not a UBE state at the time, but everything they tested was on the MBE, except New Jersey Civil Procedure. I winged New Jersey, studied for Florida as if it was more than a full time job and passed both exams with flying colors.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm

LandEsquire wrote:
I took Florida and New Jersey in July 2011 and passed both. New Jersey was not a UBE state at the time, but everything they tested was on the MBE, except New Jersey Civil Procedure. I winged New Jersey, studied for Florida as if it was more than a full time job and passed both exams with flying colors.
This is helpful. So you just did a prep course for Florida?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 pm

a lot of the partners at my firm took NJ right after NY for what that's worth
I still need to figure out how to get licensed in federal court so if people have insight on that, lmk in a pm. tyia

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bmwx17

New

Post by Bmwx17 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 am

I took MA and NH. NH is UBE. First two days was MEE and MBE and MPT and I sat for those in New Hampshire. On the third day I went to MA and took their essays. I don't know if all states do this but MA is consistently scheduled to allow you to take two bars.

In all honesty I studied for maybe 5-6 hours total for MA specific laws. It's all basically the same. I have heard it's not as easy to do that with RI essays so maybe one should be careful with state specific items but if you do well on one exam(I think my UBE score was 296) then you will do well on another.

Bmwx17

New

Post by Bmwx17 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:28 am

Sprout wrote:a lot of the partners at my firm took NJ right after NY for what that's worth
I still need to figure out how to get licensed in federal court so if people have insight on that, lmk in a pm. tyia
In MA and NH you go to the district court website, print out the application, attach a letter of good standing from the state, and then you get sworn in within a month or two. That's it. I've heard other states like RI where you have to take a course before being admitted.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 pm

I took NY and MA. MA requires you to only sit for their essays. In NY I took the MPT, UBE, MEE and then went to MA for the third day and took essays.

I was advised by BarBri to study for the primary place where I would be employed--my job depended on me passing MA, so I took that as my main BarBri course, and then I paid a little more for NY stuff. i studied almost no MBE-law at all. (NY does all of its NY-specific law in a separate course and online test.) I found it not that confusing because honestly, I only focused on MA, and if I passed NY, that'd be gravy. It all worked out. I am glad to have the job flexibility now.

Tips--make sure that you really plan your logistics well. I had to drive from Sarasota Springs to Boston on the 2nd night, before the 3rd day in MA. It was tiring. I was so glad that I was almost done, but I really had to dig deep to give a shit--I was emotionally exhausted by then.

LandEsquire

New

Post by LandEsquire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:54 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
LandEsquire wrote:
This is helpful. So you just did a prep course for Florida?
Yes, I took Barbri in Florida and nothing for New Jersey.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”