Second Bar Exam Question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mobster1983

New

Second Bar Exam Question

Post by Mobster1983 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:51 pm

I graduated this past spring and currently work as a law clerk in a state with no reciprocity with any other. While I love it here and plan to stay, I also want to leave some options open, so plan to take a second bar exam in February (while everything from law school and this first bar exam are fresh in my mind). I want to take the bar in a state that has reciprocity with a large number of other states, which will provide me with the most options in the future, just in case I do move.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards New York. They have reciprocity with numerous other states. I am also interested in international business law, and New York Bar seems like it would be a decent add-on to my resume if I ever apply overseas (at least compared to my current state).

Any thoughts on this? One concern I have is that I actually have to practice law in NY for a certain amount of years (usually seems like 5) to be admitted in another state without taking their bar. Is this the case, or is holding an active license good enough to meet that requirement?

Thank you in advance for your advice/opinions.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Re: Second Bar Exam Question

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 am

Mobster1983 wrote:I graduated this past spring and currently work as a law clerk in a state with no reciprocity with any other. While I love it here and plan to stay, I also want to leave some options open, so plan to take a second bar exam in February (while everything from law school and this first bar exam are fresh in my mind). I want to take the bar in a state that has reciprocity with a large number of other states, which will provide me with the most options in the future, just in case I do move.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards New York. They have reciprocity with numerous other states. I am also interested in international business law, and New York Bar seems like it would be a decent add-on to my resume if I ever apply overseas (at least compared to my current state).

Any thoughts on this? One concern I have is that I actually have to practice law in NY for a certain amount of years (usually seems like 5) to be admitted in another state without taking their bar. Is this the case, or is holding an active license good enough to meet that requirement?

It means you are a member of the NY Bar actively practicing law (which is a very broad term) not necessarily in NY. If you're going to go NY then get NJ as well, night be worth something as well. Best of luck!!!!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:05 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
Mobster1983 wrote:I graduated this past spring and currently work as a law clerk in a state with no reciprocity with any other. While I love it here and plan to stay, I also want to leave some options open, so plan to take a second bar exam in February (while everything from law school and this first bar exam are fresh in my mind). I want to take the bar in a state that has reciprocity with a large number of other states, which will provide me with the most options in the future, just in case I do move.

It means you are a member of the NY Bar actively practicing law (which is a very broad term) not necessarily in NY. If you're going to go NY then get NJ as well, night be worth something as well. Best of luck!!!!

NY bar is now UBE by the way- so you can waive your score into NJ as they require the same passing score. (I did this).

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:23 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

NY bar is now UBE by the way- so you can waive your score into NJ as they require the same passing score. (I did this).
Thank your for elaborating on what I implied lol.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

Thank your for elaborating on what I implied lol.

just wanted to clarify :)
I saw someone asking about the notorious difficulty of the NY bar a while ago on here/how much they should study for the state law multiple choice part and I was thinking oh no apparently they are not aware of the UBE change! lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:54 am

Thank you for the advice. One of the reasons I chose NY is because it is now UBE. Just makes things a bit easier (not the exam itself, but future options).

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:07 pm

If you're at all worried about reaching that 266 in NY, it may be beneficial to take the UBE in Missouri. Missouri has been administering the UBE the longest (since 2011), which means their essay graders are a tad more forgiving. This gives you an opportunity to grab points on the MEE and MPT. Missouri also grades their essays on a 10 point scale, which can be beneficial. Just some food for thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”