Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Findedeux

Bronze

Re: Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released)

Post by Findedeux » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:08 pm

It's also weird to see how high people score that report on this forum.

The six people who have reported so far average a 160.

I doubt people who view this board score so much higher in general; it's probably just an issue of those who do best are most likely to report their scores on here.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am

A few of these examinees sent me their scores and I can confirm they are legitimate. I wish more high scoring examinees would send me their scores because I don't get many scores from that end of the spectrum and it really helps me to figure out the MBE scaling. FYI, of the 5,000+ examinees who failed and sent me their scores over the past 10 years, their average MBE was 122, so basically below 120 is auto-fail, 140 is average and 160 is auto-pass.

https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Tls is like lake woebegone. Everyone is above average (or at least the people who post).

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 am

Florida Bar result (Themis)
MBE - 149
State section - I don't know yet, but higher than 136

I think that I scored around 130 on the final practice test, but I can't remember. I used Themis for bar prep and thought it did a great job. My score distributions were really goofy. I was over 90% for CivPro, 85% for evidence, 80% for con law, and like 40-45% for contracts and real property haha.

Also, my MBE result was incredibly similar to what it was last time. I took another state's bar in J2013 and got a 150 scaled on the MBE (178 on the state section). The difference between my prep for the two exams was massive. For the first one, I took it directly out of law school. I didn't take a prep class, I bought a set of used BarBri books, and I studied at home over the summer. For the Florida Bar, I didn't start to prepare until ~July 9 or 10 and used Themis. For both, I spent almost all of my time doing practice questions and devoted very little time to essay subjects. When I did practice questions, I tried to finish sections in 70% of the time. IDK why, but that seems to help me gauge what I needed to study. I tend to struggle with MC and outperform on essay exams, so that's why my prep is so lopsided.

I think this is a solid method for practicing attorneys with limited time to devote to prep. It won't generate some of the eye-popping scores people have posted earlier in this thread, but I think it's a good strategy to get comfortably above passing. Of course, I'm not recommending that folks hold off on studying until two weeks before the exam.

staygolden

New

Post by staygolden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Florida Bar results just came in the mail:

Part A (Florida portion): 146

Part B (MBE): 140.

Beat the mean by .5 :o

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Omerta wrote:Florida Bar result (Themis)
MBE - 149

I think that I scored around 130 on the final practice test, but I can't remember. I used Themis for bar prep and thought it did a great job. My score distributions were really goofy. I was over 90% for CivPro, 85% for evidence, 80% for con law, and like 40-45% for contracts and real property haha.

Also, my MBE result was incredibly similar to what it was last time. I took another state's bar in J2013 and got a 150 scaled on the MBE (178 on the state section). The difference between my prep for the two exams was massive. For the first one, I took it directly out of law school. I didn't take a prep class, I bought a set of used BarBri books, and I studied at home over the summer. For the Florida Bar, I didn't start to prepare until ~July 9 or 10 and used Themis. For both, I spent almost all of my time doing practice questions and devoted very little time to essay subjects. When I did practice questions, I tried to finish sections in 70% of the time. IDK why, but that seems to help me gauge what I needed to study. I tend to struggle with MC and outperform on essay exams, so that's why my prep is so lopsided.

I think this is a solid method for practicing attorneys with limited time to devote to prep. It won't generate some of the eye-popping scores people have posted earlier in this thread, but I think it's a good strategy to get comfortably above passing. Of course, I'm not recommending that folks hold off on studying until two weeks before the exam.
How do you already know your MBE, but not Florida score?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm

FuturePanhandler wrote:
MBE - 149

You can make a score services request through NCBEX and get your score that way. I thought I'd get my percentile breakdown if I did that, but you just get like a couple-line PDF with your name, number, and your score on it.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 am

Omerta wrote:
FuturePanhandler wrote:
MBE - 149

You can make a score services request through NCBEX and get your score that way. I thought I'd get my percentile breakdown if I did that, but you just get like a couple-line PDF with your name, number, and your score on it.
Wait, wait, wait. Does that trick work for CA?!

al_decisis731

New

Post by al_decisis731 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Only select states allow the NCBEX to give MBE scores:

Arizona
Colorado
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Kansas
Maryland
Montana
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Dakota
Oregon
South Carolina
Utah
Virgin Islands
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Nightcrawler wrote:
Omerta wrote:
FuturePanhandler wrote:
MBE - 149

Wait, wait, wait. Does that trick work for CA?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Correct, and I wouldn’t do it had I known what I was going to get. All you get is the number, which I later got for free 2 days later. And the NCBE will not release MBE results before the state releases them.

So it’s only useful if you REALLY want to know your MBE score after results are posted but before you get the letter. And, as the other poster mentioned, only if your state allows the NCBE to release results.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Omerta wrote:Correct, and I wouldn’t do it had I known what I was going to get. All you get is the number, which I later got for free 2 days later. And the NCBE will not release MBE results before the state releases them.

So it’s only useful if you REALLY want to know your MBE score after results are posted but before you get the letter. And, as the other poster mentioned, only if your state allows the NCBE to release results.
For CA, I thought you can nonetheless get your score from NCBE if you request it for reciprocity purposes? Like you say you want to know if your score is considered passing in DC, and they'll say yes or no. Based on what the passing score is in DC, you can at least know if you scored above a certain amount.

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Actual score 168.7. I was around 76-84% in the final two weeks of prep.

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:05 pm

el madrileno wrote:Actual score 168.7. I was around 76-84% in the final two weeks of prep.
76-84% on Barbri or Adaptibar/past MBEs? Also, what percentage of these questions were questions you’ve already done?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
el madrileno wrote:Actual score 168.7. I was around 76-84% in the final two weeks of prep.
76-84% on Barbri or Adaptibar/past MBEs? Also, what percentage of these questions were questions you’ve already done?
Themis, and about ~4-6%. In a set of 50, 2 or 3 would be questions from a practice set I created for myself to target a specific subject.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 am

Nightcrawler wrote: Wait, wait, wait. Does that trick work for CA?!

For CA, you can only request the NCBE score advisory to get an estimate of your real MBE score. This service cost $25

The NCBE score advisory tells you if you MBE score is high enough to waive into Wash. DC (133), and Minnesota (145), North Dakota (150). So, for example, if the NCBE says your score is high enough to waive into DC and Minnesota, but not into North Dakota, then you can estimate that your real MBE score falls somewhere between 145 and 149.

Loquitur Res

New

Post by Loquitur Res » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:54 am

My actual, scaled MBE was 20 points higher than my Barbri simulation. My Barbri simulation was pretty good, so I was absolutely convinced that I would be one of the few people who score lower on the real thing. Also, like many others, I felt (after taking the exam) that Barbri had not adequately prepared me for the real thing. But, it all ended up working out; I passed by a wide margin!

Hopefully this is encouraging to those who are still waiting on results. I know how easy it is for doubt to creep in. Try to stay positive!

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am

Loquitur Res wrote:My actual, scaled MBE was 20 points higher than my Barbri simulation. My Barbri simulation was pretty good, so I was absolutely convinced that I would be one of the few people who score lower on the real thing. Also, like many others, I felt (after taking the exam) that Barbri had not adequately prepared me for the real thing. But, it all ended up working out; I passed by a wide margin!

Hopefully this is encouraging to those who are still waiting on results. I know how easy it is for doubt to creep in. Try to stay positive!

Congratulations! What are your exact scores though, if you don't mind?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks guys. For a moment I thought that I could shorten my wait to get the results. So frustrating knowing that my MBE score is out there, nice and ready...

al_decisis731

New

Post by al_decisis731 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 pm

That is probably the most frustrating part of this whole process. The scaling for the MBE has already been completed, but we have to wait this whole time for our MBE score.

Nightcrawler wrote:Thanks guys. For a moment I thought that I could shorten my wait to get the results. So frustrating knowing that my MBE score is out there, nice and ready...

scard

New

Post by scard » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 pm

So the question remains if ca test takers can get a score advisory for other states prior to the release of bar exam results. Has anyone tried?

How long does the process take? If it’s rwlativly quick I’m willing to try if no one else hasn’t.

Molj1987

New

Post by Molj1987 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Simulated MBE (Themis): 140ish
Actual MBE (July 2018): 169

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:50 pm

scard wrote:So the question remains if ca test takers can get a score advisory for other states prior to the release of bar exam results. Has anyone tried?

How long does the process take? If it’s rwlativly quick I’m willing to try if no one else hasn’t.
Ordinarily, MBE Score Advisories are processed the next business day after receipt of payment, but not until after the testing jurisdiction has announced its examination results and authorized release of your score.
http://www.ncbex.org/ncbe-exam-score-se ... -services/

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:14 pm

scard wrote:So the question remains if ca test takers can get a score advisory for other states prior to the release of bar exam results. Has anyone tried?

It's super quick but I don't think they'll let you see it before November 16th. If you want to try, the only risk is that you'll waste $25 in case you failed (because you'll get your score in the mail for free).

EDIT: this is what the NCBEX website says

"NCBE is not authorized to transfer or release any MBE score information until after the testing jurisdiction has announced its examination results and authorized release of the examinee's score."

EDIT 2: Sorry, I've just realized the comment above is identical to mine. Long day today.

Workingtowards

New

Post by Workingtowards » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Was wondering if there’s a spreadsheet to view from the last couple of years including this years that lays out the overages from the practice to the actual. I saw one for 2015 and 2016 but I must’ve missed 2017. I’ve now got the date of the release of my bar results which has made me more anxious and stressed than I’ve been since prior to the exam! I really somehow managed to not think about it for a couple of weeks and have been rudely brought back to reality of waiting another almost three weeks for release of the scores I know are pretty much ready to go now.

Thanks for everyone reporting their scores. I will contribute soon (but not soon enough!)

scard

New

Post by scard » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:32 am

Well I spent the $25 on hopes that a score advisory is different then a score request in terms of waiting for results to be released. I’m expecting it not to be and their refusal to give me a score advisory is consistent with what they are trying to say online.

It’d be nice to think they are not releasing scores by giving a score advisory for states that already have their results released. The person from Florida above seemed to have been able to get their score from ncbe prior to seeing state release scores..

Worse case scenario I fail and get my scores anyways. Great case scenario they give me a score advisory on Monday.

Medium/ best case scenario they make me wait until ca releases scores, I pass and can use the score advisory to determine how well I did on mbe portion.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”