Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dans1006

Bronze

Re: Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released)

Post by dans1006 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

This has really made me feel a lot better about my chances. Those hopes may be dashed in the next week, but at least I'm not longer convinced I definitely failed.

I'm just trying to get from a last sim of 121 to 132. I had previously scored higher than 121 on other practice MBEs I bought on Ebay, but I did some backsliding right before the real test, as a result of soley focusing on the essays for about a week.

Fingers crossed (into knots).

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:13 pm

meat tornado wrote:

Going to venture out and say that it comes down to percentiles if you exclude the mbe scale. Getting a 120 on the barbri sim probably puts you in the middle of all barbri takers, who tend to pass at higher rates than non barbri takers. Thus, you're probably going to get at least in the middle of the pack on the actual MBE. Median score on the real thing is around a 140 or so.
What do you base the barbi = better results off of? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't think Barbri released their pass rates?

diogenes89

New

Post by diogenes89 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

TXBar2017 wrote:
meat tornado wrote:

Going to venture out and say that it comes down to percentiles if you exclude the mbe scale. Getting a 120 on the barbri sim probably puts you in the middle of all barbri takers, who tend to pass at higher rates than non barbri takers. Thus, you're probably going to get at least in the middle of the pack on the actual MBE. Median score on the real thing is around a 140 or so.
What do you base the barbi = better results off of? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't think Barbri released their pass rates?
Barbri repeatedly tells you that people tend to score higher on the actual exam compared to their simulated questions. One reason a lot of people get frustrated with Barbri and pursue other companies that use actual MBE questions instead of ones written by Barbri...some think Barbri's questions are harder because of the wording. I actually thought Barbri was easier.

Also, all of the info assembled in these kind of threads (both for this exam cycle and previous) on TLS and reddit point to this being the case.

Jibjib40

New

Post by Jibjib40 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I used Themis.

Practice was 130. Actual was 155.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Final Kaplan practice 127; Final MBE score 155.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Kaplan practice 142, actual MBE 165.

Bimmerfan

New

Post by Bimmerfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:24 am

Figured I'd add a data point since people are posting pretty high MBE scores...

(1) YOUR SCORE ON THE LAST PRACTICE MBE YOU TOOK: 92/200 (probably taken 2-3 weeks prior to the February exam)

(2) YOUR ACTUAL MBE SCALED SCORE (IF REPORTED, OR JUST "PASSED" IF NOT REPORTED): 135 (February 2017 exam)

(3) WHICH BAR PREP YOU USED: BarBri

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 am

Pass302 wrote:Final Kaplan practice 127; Final MBE score 155.
I hope I'm in about the same boat.

Thanks for posting, everyone!

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Thrive wrote:So since nobody has ventured to ask, here we go: is there anyone who did well on the sim (ie 125+ on barbri) and didn’t do so well on the MBE?
Or really any fail datapoints would be helpful; I'd like to know if certain prep courses prepared people better than other ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Barbri Simulated: 123/200
Actual: 158/200
Prep: Barbri
As people said above, Barbri's median for the simulated MBE is something like 120, while the actual MBE median is around 140. Thus, a 20 point jump should be about par for the course.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Does anyone know if the bump is constant or relative to what percentile you land in?

Anecdotally, it seems like lower scores might get a slightly larger bump.

Anyone have any reliable info on this?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am

So based on my wholly unscientific and probably overly optimistic analysis of our pool of information, if you scored a 113 (raw) on your final practice MBE, you should be within a point or two of the MBE average score of 141.

I hope that is true.

More results posting this week!

Ken Kesey

New

Post by Ken Kesey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Practice MBE: 165
Actual scaled MBE: 175

Yes lower scores get larger bumps, that's how scaling works on normal distributions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Ken Kesey wrote:Practice MBE: 165

Yes lower scores get larger bumps, that's how scaling works on normal distributions.

Well done!

Ken Kesey

New

Post by Ken Kesey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 am

dans1006 wrote:

Well done!
Thanks, but unfortunately it's an accomplishment with no real value

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

Ken Kesey wrote:
dans1006 wrote:

Well done!
Thanks, but unfortunately it's an accomplishment with no real value
If nothing else, to me, the value of doing that well would be the fact that you didn't have to spend all these weeks worrying that you might have failed the MBE. But the value of all of that is subjective and jurisdiction dependent.

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

dans1006 wrote:If nothing else, to me, the value of doing that well would be the fact that you didn't have to spend all these weeks worrying that you might have failed the MBE.
also, the groupies

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 pm

jdk wrote:
dans1006 wrote:If nothing else, to me, the value of doing that well would be the fact that you didn't have to spend all these weeks worrying that you might have failed the MBE.
also, the groupies
Those MBE groupies are notoriously scandalous.

DogDay90

New

Post by DogDay90 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 am

Barbri practice MBE (not scaled): 154.
Actual MBE (scaled): 170.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:48 am

DogDay90 wrote:Barbri practice MBE (not scaled): 154.
Geez. You guys are straight up killing the MBE. I'm over here praying for a scaled 132. I didn't do a bar prep. I just bought old books and outlines off of eBay. In case I failed and have to do this again, do any of you MBE assassins have any tips or tricks on how you were able to get up in the 150 range on your practice tests? Is it just doing the reps? Adaptibar? Flash cards?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 am

And for anyone who wants to look at the latest and greatest data, here is the link again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

It still looks like the bump is pretty generous, especially towards the bottom of the distribution.

I know we have a couple of states coming out this Friday... best of luck everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am

dans1006 wrote:So based on my wholly unscientific and probably overly optimistic analysis of our pool of information, if you scored a 113 (raw) on your final practice MBE, you should be within a point or two of the MBE average score of 141.

I hope that is true.

I reallllllllly hope this is true because I think that was my score lol. Whatever 38th percentile was, that's where I was on the practice.
(Barbri)
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

NoDayButToday wrote:
dans1006 wrote:So based on my wholly unscientific and probably overly optimistic analysis of our pool of information, if you scored a 113 (raw) on your final practice MBE, you should be within a point or two of the MBE average score of 141.

I hope that is true.

I reallllllllly hope this is true because I think that was my score lol. Whatever 38th percentile was, that's where I was on the practice.
(Barbri)
Fingers crossed!

Ken Kesey

New

Post by Ken Kesey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am

dans1006 wrote:
Geez. You guys are straight up killing the MBE. I'm over here praying for a scaled 132. I didn't do a bar prep. I just bought old books and outlines off of eBay. In case I failed and have to do this again, do any of you MBE assassins have any tips or tricks on how you were able to get up in the 150 range on your practice tests? Is it just doing the reps? Adaptibar? Flash cards?
So I did Barbri, I did all the online question sets up to set 5, I think? Always read explanations even for answer I got right. I never did the supplemental questions that you had to do in a book.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably just read the Conviser Mini Review Outlines (Bar-bri's mildly condensed subject outlines).

Things that helped me: I did well in 1st year subjects in lawschool and I have a really good memory.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:07 pm

dans1006 wrote:
I just did the reps. For me, it was just about figuring out how they asked the questions and worded the answers. Based on that, even if you didn't 100% know the answer, you could make quality guesses based on the wording of each answer and the call of the question. Beyond that, I just learned the material and drilled it. I put minimal effort into preparing for the essays.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”