Needing advice on choosing a lesser known prep company Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JDanger007

New

Needing advice on choosing a lesser known prep company

Post by JDanger007 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:25 pm

If anyone has links about any of these companies, please feel free to share. Does anyone know anything about JD Advising or Bar exam toolbox ? thanks!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: Needing advice on choosing a lesser known prep company

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm

JDanger007 wrote:If anyone has links about any of these companies, please feel free to share. Does anyone know anything about JD Advising or Bar exam toolbox ? thanks!
I cant speak from experience regarding JD Advising, but I have had friends who have used the program - and passed. Their website is a bit wonky and it started as a Michigan based focus, but they have grown a decent amount over the last few years and definitely appear to have put in the time researching the bar - their predictions for essays in Michigan/MEE have been very accurate (which is no promise of future success of course).

Bar Exam toolbox I have less familiarity with other than I have listened to some of their podcasts. Though I dont blame them, the podcasts really didnt share much by the way of insightfulness, but that is likely because they want you to pay for their services to get the tools and better advice.

Can I ask what drew you to these two less mainstream services? Its pure curioustiy (I am a big fan of saving money and getting more tools, for the $1,500+ you spend with many mainstream programs you can get your hands on A LOT of great tools).

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
JDanger007 wrote:If anyone has links about any of these companies, please feel free to share. Does anyone know anything about JD Advising or Bar exam toolbox ? thanks!
I cant speak from experience regarding JD Advising, but I have had friends who have used the program - and passed. Their website is a bit wonky and it started as a Michigan based focus, but they have grown a decent amount over the last few years and definitely appear to have put in the time researching the bar - their predictions for essays in Michigan/MEE have been very accurate (which is no promise of future success of course).

Bar Exam toolbox I have less familiarity with other than I have listened to some of their podcasts. Though I dont blame them, the podcasts really didnt share much by the way of insightfulness, but that is likely because they want you to pay for their services to get the tools and better advice.

Can I ask what drew you to these two less mainstream services? Its pure curioustiy (I am a big fan of saving money and getting more tools, for the $1,500+ you spend with many mainstream programs you can get your hands on A LOT of great tools).
I used JD Advising largely for the MEE. I purchased their MEE one-sheets that have the highly tested rule statements for each subject. I found it very helpful because I hadn't taken a lot of those subjects in law school and it helps you focus on the highly tested material (so you don't waste time learning rules that likely won't be tested). However that being said, it's important to go over the past essays themselves so you see how these issues are tested. I used the one-sheets along with barbri's compilation essay book.

Derekj032

New

Post by Derekj032 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 pm

If you are taking the michigan exam, jd advising is leaps and bounds ahead of commercial programs. They focus on what has consistently been tested in the past, while also giving enough information on less tested areas to do better than most.

Their outlines are the best I've ever used and the support they provide is not found in other courses. I called, sent emails, and texted with questions, all of which would be answered nearly immediately.

You will do tons of previously administrated essay questions each week, which they grade and provide feedback on.

They cost more than other companies, but it is well worth it. I'm writing this before receiving my exam results, regardless of my personal outcome, my opinion on them will be unchanged.

JDanger007

New

Post by JDanger007 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Thank you for the Replies!
To the first responder: I used Barbri first time around and just felt like it did not work for me. I also know that my learning style will benefit form more individualized attention.
Thank you to the other two of you! They seem like both great options. I do have some of the traditional resources, i just know that this time around, switching form state to UBE, there is a bit less and at this point its about knowing how to take the test better, not learning material.

JDanger007

New

Post by JDanger007 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 pm

bumping for any other opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”