NY Bar for foreigners Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
zmg100

New

NY Bar for foreigners

Post by zmg100 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:54 am

Hi all,

I am aiming to sit NY bar in Feb 2018, I'm UK trained and have 1 year experience working in a firm in NY.

I know this has been discussed a lot, however, looking for a bar prep provider, I was convinced by Barbri but now I'm swaying towards Themis. (Price related)

My question is, Barbri clearly has a course for foreigners, however Themis doesn't seem to, is the Themis LLM course the one designed for foreigners?

Secondly, I've had really bad customer service from Themis, I emailed them, filled out the contact form and no one contacted me.

I then called and no follow up from them. The also don't have any non US numbers to call, so quite frankly they are putting me off from going with them.
Barbri on the other hand have excellent customer service.

Any similar experience?

Thanks!

iminameeting

New

Re: NY Bar for foreigners

Post by iminameeting » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:01 am

Drop me a PM mate and we can organise to talk on the phone about this.

voxpopuli

New

Post by voxpopuli » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 am

zmg100 wrote:Hi all,

I am aiming to sit NY bar in Feb 2018, I'm UK trained and have 1 year experience working in a firm in NY.

I know this has been discussed a lot, however, looking for a bar prep provider, I was convinced by Barbri but now I'm swaying towards Themis. (Price related)

My question is, Barbri clearly has a course for foreigners, however Themis doesn't seem to, is the Themis LLM course the one designed for foreigners?

Secondly, I've had really bad customer service from Themis, I emailed them, filled out the contact form and no one contacted me.

I then called and no follow up from them. The also don't have any non US numbers to call, so quite frankly they are putting me off from going with them.

Any similar experience?

Thanks!
Hi. I'm a foreign trained lawyer who took the February 2017 NY bar exam. I signed up for Barbri (LLM Program) and did more than 90% of the course work. I did not used any other materials except what Barbri had provided. I passed and got a 307 scaled score (166.5 MBE). Good luck!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 am

zmg100 wrote:Hi all,

Any similar experience?

Thanks!
Hi, also a foreign lawyer aiming to take the Feb 2018 exam. I was set on themis too (due to price) but received no response from them after emailing them a few times. But yes their LLM is the one for foreigners, however i can't find a start date for the program anywhere for the Feb 2018 exam (emailed them to ask- no answer).

Does anyone know when the barbri start date is?

worzel

New

Post by worzel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

I am English qualified, and passed the Colorado bar in February 2017 (CO is a UBE state). I used Barbri's LLM course, supplemented with Adaptibar for final prep. The LLM course is in two parts - the initial "LLM" part, which covers all of the MBE subjects, and the standard Barbri bar prep. The first part is self guided - you go at your own pace and decide how much you want to do. There's no set start date. I started at the end of August last year, and had time to go through all of the material once before starting the bar review course with all the standard US law graduates in late December. I don't have experience of any other bar prep companies, but I liked Barbri a lot. I do not have any formal US legal education (no LLM) so Barbri was the only prep I had.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”