UBE first time- what tools do passers/takers recommend? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ashleymdbartaker

New

UBE first time- what tools do passers/takers recommend?

Post by ashleymdbartaker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:33 pm

I am taking the exam in a UBE jurisdiction for the first time and a bit nervous. I understand that it involves a MPT, MEE and MBE. I have heard of ppl talking about MEE outlines or attack sheets. I wanted to know are there any specific bar prep programs you do or do not recommend or supplemental tools that you used in your UBE prep?

update: if it helps any I am taking the Missouri exam. Please constructive comments are invited!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: UBE first time- what tools do passers/takers recommend?

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 pm

ashleymdbartaker wrote:I am taking the exam in a UBE jurisdiction for the first time and a bit nervous. I understand that it involves a MPT, MEE and MBE. I have heard of ppl talking about MEE outlines or attack sheets. I wanted to know are there any specific bar prep programs you do or do not recommend or supplemental tools that you used in your UBE prep?

update: if it helps any I am taking the Missouri exam. Please constructive comments are invited!
My top tools to share with all people, but especially UBE states are:

#1 - SmartBar for MEE/Essays. I love the deep analysis of the tested topic frequency, then the indepth outlines and then finally the really well put together Attack Sheets (as short as 1 page as long as maybe 7) can be found here: http://www.smartbarprep.com/outline/

#2 - Either Adaptibar or BarMax. Adaptibar is cheaper, but also offers less (in terms of raw material) Adaptibar has excellent, top-of-the-line analytical tools and tracking information but you pay for anything else beyond the questions/explanations/analytics. BarMax has the same questions and has explanations as well, along with some basic tracking tools. For the added price BarMax adds audio lectures and outlines that be used on any web enabled device (smart phone, tablet, laptop) with a specific iOS app.

By picking #1 and one of either from #2 you will have all the materials and tools necessary to pass. It is a matter of studying, reviewing, doing the questions and reviewing the answers. Granted, only you know what will work best for you, but you easily spend less than $600 to have a complete bar prep.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Certainly don't forget to supplement with the official MEE questions released by the NCBE. There is a lot to glean both from the questions and from the model answers (though they are unrealistically polished).

--Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

chingochongo

New

Post by chingochongo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:44 pm

I used the Barmax UBE program to pass the Wisconsin bar (which is almost like the UBE, they use select MEE and MPT questions in addition to a few state specific ones) and found it very useful. Drilling MBE questions on the iOs app was key for me.

Ravenclaw23

New

Post by Ravenclaw23 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Passed UBE on first take. I used:

1. Emanuel Strategies & Tactics for MBE (official NCBE questions)
2. SketchyLaw: Sketchy Law is an underutilized tool, in my opinion. They make videos of visual cues that represent different doctrines. The illustrations are hilarious & very memorable. There were numerous subjects I struggled to remember in law school that I picked up right away using SketchyLaw. (I found the source because my boyfriend used SketchyMicro & SketchyMedical during Medical school & raved about it). They have several sample videos up on their website for free -- I was sold the minute I finished their video that distinguished larceny, larceny by trick, embezzlement, false pretenses, & continuing trespass.

I also used Barbri, which I did find very helpful, but I can't say whether I would have done better or worse had I gone with a different prep company.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 pm

I just passed the UBE on my first attempt, and after working 60-70 hours per week as a practicing attorney; I honestly thought it was impossible. I took Kaplan's on-demand course and used the Critical Pass MBE flash cards app, which I highly recommend. I used BarBri for my first bar exam 9 years ago as well as Essay Advantage: I highly recommend Essay Advantage.
Last edited by unlvcrjchick on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:54 pm

ashleymdbartaker wrote:I am taking the exam in a UBE jurisdiction for the first time and a bit nervous. I understand that it involves a MPT, MEE and MBE. I have heard of ppl talking about MEE outlines or attack sheets. I wanted to know are there any specific bar prep programs you do or do not recommend or supplemental tools that you used in your UBE prep?

1) Barbri

Don't pay full price for it. I know people that passed using Themis (and they weren't particularly good law students). If I hadn't gotten the deal I wanted, I would have went with Themis. Especially if you don't plan on going to classes or taking the practice MBE in class, then Barbri probably isn't worth the extra cost.

2) Emanuel Strategies & Tactics for MBE

Barbri doesn't use official MBE questions. The real ones are a bit different. With this book, you can get a better feel for them for way less than the cost of Adaptibar.

There are plenty of decent free tools on the internet. The MBE cards on Quizlet was good for conveniently reviewing anywhere on your phone. There are a lot of decent MBE and Bar Prep blogs you can google too that explain frequently tested issues in a very concise and efficient manner.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Only used Kaplan and did 50-100 MBE questions a day to the point I exhausted the qbank, only analyzed 6 MPTs and wrote 16 essays. Followed the guidelines religiously and say results. However it's YMMV on each course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”