July 2017 NY Bar Exam Results Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
L_William_W

Bronze

July 2017 NY Bar Exam Results

Post by L_William_W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 am

Did anyone get the results for NY? I got it and passed (on attempt #3- miracles happen). This is way sooner than I expected- usually the results come out in October.

dans1006

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Exam Results

Post by dans1006 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm

L_William_W wrote:Did anyone get the results for NY? I got it and passed (on attempt #3- miracles happen). This is way sooner than I expected- usually the results come out in October.
As someone who took it a couple of times, how'd you feel about this MBE? Did you leave feeling like you definitely passed the MBE portion? If you don't mind sharing, at what level were you getting questions right on the practice exams (assuming you were taking them)?

Thanks and Congratulations!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

I didn't get the actually score breakdown (at least not yet). I had mixed feelings about the exam. There were six essays- torts, wills, secured transactions, evidence/crim, con law, and civ pro. I felt very confident with the torts essay. I bullshitted my answer on the secured transactions essay. The other four essays were in between.

As far as the MBE, I found some sections easy (Torts, Con Law), moderately difficult (crim), hard but not impossible (property, contracts, evidence), and sadistically hard (civ pro). I always pwned torts. Conversely, civ pro was the bane of my existence. Crim and evidence were harder than expected. Property and contracts were easier than expected.

I used Strategies and Tactics, Finz, and the giant Kaplan book. I also signed up for a course in which MPTs are graded, since that was my weakest section (also get this book from Mary Campbell Gallagher).

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Well, congratulations on knocking it out this time. I'm still going to be waiting for another month. Enjoy the day!

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 pm

WTF how has New York already release?????

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:47 pm

no way this is real. TLS would be blowing up right now. At the very least I would be able to find reference of them releasing today on Google and I can't.

dm1919

New

Post by dm1919 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:54 pm

I think the OP has it wrong. I received an e-mail notification from the Third Department today indicating how to apply for bar admission in that department, but the letter from the Third Department gave no indication about New York State bar exam results.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 pm

This is what I received in the email

We have been advised that you recently took the New York State Bar Examination. Upon
receipt of the Notice of Certification from the Board of Law Examiners advising that you have passed
the exam and certifying you to the Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department, you may apply for
admission to practice law. In the meantime, you may begin to complete your application now. Forms
and instructions may be accessed at: http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/atto ... ters.shtml.
The supplemental instructions set forth below are specific to applicants submitting an application to the
Second Judicial Department; however, they merely supplement the General Instructions set forth in the
“Application Package” and the other instructions and guidelines accessible through the links at the
above web site. You are encouraged to treat these Supplemental Instructions as a checklist for full
compliance.
PLEASE BE SURE TO CAREFULLY OBSERVE ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND GUIDELINES
IN ORDER TO AVOID DELAY IN THE PROCESSING OF YOUR APPLICATION.
G Complete the Orientation to the Profession program (see the link at the web site above). You
may do so at any time after taking bar exam or submitting an application for admission on
motion. Be sure to attach the original, signed Certificate of Completion Form as the last exhibit
to your application. Here is your username and password to access the video presentations:
Username: AD2videos Password: Video-2017
G Send the Form Law School Certificate to each law school you attended.
G Register with the Office of Court Administration (OCA) as an attorney and pay the fee; attach
the Attorney Registration Certification Form to your application questionnaire (see the link
for “OCA Registration Package” at the web site above).
G Complete and file the Application for Admission Questionnaire; be sure to include the
following additional items in your application package:
G Copy of your State Board of Law Examiners Notice of Certification.
G Two (2) Affidavits of Good Moral Character; affidavits must be dated no earlier than
60 days prior to the filing your application and will not be accepted from those who
complete employment affidavits on your behalf or know you solely in an employment
relationship.
G All required Employment Affidavits or Letter; unless you have been admitted to the
bar in another state, do not describe your position with a legal employer as that of
“associate”, which is a term reserved for those who have been admitted to the bar;
ensure that the information contained in the employer affidavit matches the information
set forth in your application, especially the dates of employment; affidavits of current
legal employment must be dated no earlier than 60 days prior to the filing of your
application.
G ORIGINAL Certificates of Good Standing and Grievance Letters from other
jurisdictions in which you have been admitted to practice;
G Form Affidavit of Compliance with Pro Bono Requirements (see the link for “50
hour Pro Bono Requirement” at the web site above);
G If applicable to you, the following additional information/documentation:
• copy of marriage certificate or court order in case of name change;
• if a non-U.S. citizen or not born in the United States, proof of immigration status
or naturalization;
• If you answer “yes” to question #27 of the questionnaire, include in your
explanation of the underlying facts both the date of occurrence for any offense
and the date of final disposition; provide a certificate of disposition or similar
original record for any criminal charge and any alcohol-related offense;
• copies of judgments or other dispositions in civil actions or proceedings;
• If you answer “yes” to question #34, provide supporting documentation.
G Place all papers in the proper order, before filing, as detailed in the General Instructions.
G Make and retain a copy of the completed application for your records.

dimetech

New

Post by dimetech » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Epic fail OP in thinking you got your results already. You should know better. Good luck in October/November when results are released, but this isn't a good sign.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

All that's saying is that when the second department gets receipt of the notice of certification, contingent on you passing the bar exam, from BOLE, you can apply to practice law. But in the meantime ie) while you wait for your results, you can start your application now

I agree that it's poorly worded and can easily be misconstrued. But given that this isn't your first bar exam, I also agree that you should know better

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:02 pm

I spoke to some of my friends from law school. They received the same message. I totally misread the email. I got all excited for nothing. I was literally about to head to a bar and get pissy drunk.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 pm

L_William_W wrote:I spoke to some of my friends from law school. They received the same message. I totally misread the email. I got all excited for nothing. I was literally about to head to a bar and get pissy drunk.
Don't sweat it. I had to read it a couple times before interpreting it correctly.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:05 pm

The one you're looking for will be titled "July 2017 Bar Examination Results" and will tell you whether you passed in an attached PDF file.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Maaaaaaajor RC fail, OP. Give it another two months and don't stress about it for now.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Could the mods delete this thread so I can retain the little bit of dignity that I have left?

SisterNero

New

Post by SisterNero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:50 pm

I, too, received this notice. Did everyone receive? I took the bar in February and failed but did not receive this notice after taking the Feb exam. Therefore, I assumed (and am hoping) that I received the notice because I passed. Anyone on this three in the Second District not receive this notice??

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Do not take this notice to mean that you passed the bar exam. Wait for the actual results.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yglaw

New

Post by yglaw » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:05 pm

I got it too.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm

:lol:

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

What's more concerning to me about these "results" is that I got mine from the third department, but BOLE confirmed my switch to the first last week. :|

Also even though NY won't release results for a while, something you can look forward to is NCBE's press release of how we all did on the MBE. It doesn't really speak to your NY pass / fail status, but because our class was up to bat this time, I'm pretty curious to see the macro trend.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 pm

L_William_W wrote:Could the mods delete this thread so I can retain the little bit of dignity that I have left?
Hah. No.

You can always edit out your own comments though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm

anyone else shocked at how early these survey emails are coming out? i'm (quite unfortunately) a third time taker, so i have two previous administrations to compare these email dates to, and these are wildly early. kinda trippin me up- maybe I'm thinking too much about the whole thing lol

Knickerblocker

New

Post by Knickerblocker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Carly wrote:anyone else shocked at how early these survey emails are coming out? i'm (quite unfortunately) a third time taker, so i have two previous administrations to compare these email dates to, and these are wildly early. kinda trippin me up- maybe I'm thinking too much about the whole thing lol
I'm kinda freaking out that I haven't received any survey email yet. Anyone in the same situation?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 pm

I got one and completed it this afternoon. There were some questions on there that I felt weren't very pertinent to the survey's stated purpose, which was a little weird

Also, from what I can tell by skimming through the 2016 NY Bar group, there's no connection between receiving the survey, or the timing of when you receive the survey, and your results, so I probably wouldn't read too much into it.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:there's no connection between receiving the survey, or the timing of when you receive the survey, and your results, so I probably wouldn't read too much into it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”