New York First Judicial Department Admission Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Toubro

Bronze

New York First Judicial Department Admission

Post by Toubro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Thought I'd start this thread for those applying to be admitted in the first department (Manhattan and the Bronx). Process won't start up for a couple of months but for now imo it's important to change your address to the first department because for some reason BOLE is very suspicious of people who try to move into it, and consequently the procedure is more involved than simply changing the address online.

Just FYI, if you any of are planning to switch from another department to the first (e.g. if you were out of state defaulting to the third department, but have since moved to Manhattan to start work this fall), you'll have to send one of these four documents to BOLE:

1. A LEGIBLE copy of your NY driver’s license or NY non-driver photo ID card.
2. A valid, executed residential lease (“Roommate Agreements” are NOT acceptable proof)
3. A property tax bill.
4. A utility bill (cell phone bills and bank statements are NOT acceptable proof).

Carly

New

Re: New York First Judicial Department Admission

Post by Carly » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:50 am

Toubro wrote:Thought I'd start this thread for those applying to be admitted in the first department (Manhattan and the Bronx). Process won't start up for a couple of months but for now imo it's important to change your address to the first department because for some reason BOLE is very suspicious of people who try to move into it, and consequently the procedure is more involved than simply changing the address online.

Just FYI, if you any of are planning to switch from another department to the first (e.g. if you were out of state defaulting to the third department, but have since moved to Manhattan to start work this fall), you'll have to send one of these four documents to BOLE:

1. A LEGIBLE copy of your NY driver’s license or NY non-driver photo ID card.
2. A valid, executed residential lease (“Roommate Agreements” are NOT acceptable proof)
3. A property tax bill.
4. A utility bill (cell phone bills and bank statements are NOT acceptable proof).

you are not kidding about the suspicion- it took me FOREVER to get some form of paperwork to let me change my address from out of state to the city (living with friends, no real lease). Finally got word today they switched my address

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 pm

You can also apply to the First Department if your work address (i.e., firm's office) is located in Manhattan or the Bronx. This is what I did. All you have to do is send them a letter on your firm's letterhead with the Manhattan/Bronx address. Makes it much easier for swearing in ceremony.

Keep in mind where you sat for the exam has no bearing on your department for admission. Some out of state test takers get to take it at Javitz, but that won't be the determining factor for applying through the 1st Dep't.

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:27 pm

This has nothing to do with residency, but figured I'd ask:

I worked for a firm that has since merged to create an entirely different firm (i.e., doesn't have the same name, I know literally no one at the new firm, etc.). Do I still need to submit a law-related employment form for this firm?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:53 am

tacocohcevoli wrote:This has nothing to do with residency, but figured I'd ask:

I worked for a firm that has since merged to create an entirely different firm (i.e., doesn't have the same name, I know literally no one at the new firm, etc.). Do I still need to submit a law-related employment form for this firm?
Probably yes, but it can't hurt to call and ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm

UPDATE: Apparently BOLE is sending some people emails saying they don't need to send documents in to process their First Department address change. I personally didn't get an email exempting me from this requirement and know of others who didn't, so it seems random for now.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:01 pm

1styearlateral wrote:You can also apply to the First Department if your work address (i.e., firm's office) is located in Manhattan or the Bronx. This is what I did. All you have to do is send them a letter on your firm's letterhead with the Manhattan/Bronx address. Makes it much easier for swearing in ceremony.

Keep in mind where you sat for the exam has no bearing on your department for admission. Some out of state test takers get to take it at Javitz, but that won't be the determining factor for applying through the 1st Dep't.
I can say when I applied to sit, my firm's address was in Manhattan, then separated employment (with a fat severance package) in May, 2016 and BOLE told me once you're locked in to keep it. I live in NJ, took it at Javits and was certified to 1st dept. Just saying that FWIW.

S.as.in.Snake

New

Post by S.as.in.Snake » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:41 am

Toubro wrote:UPDATE: Apparently BOLE is sending some people emails saying they don't need to send documents in to process their First Department address change. I personally didn't get an email exempting me from this requirement and know of others who didn't, so it seems random for now.

Should I be worried that I did get an email saying I didn't need to submit the paperwork and they just approved my department change? Does that mean they already know I did not pass so there is no use getting official things in?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 pm

S.as.in.Snake wrote:
Toubro wrote:UPDATE: Apparently BOLE is sending some people emails saying they don't need to send documents in to process their First Department address change. I personally didn't get an email exempting me from this requirement and know of others who didn't, so it seems random for now.

Should I be worried that I did get an email saying I didn't need to submit the paperwork and they just approved my department change? Does that mean they already know I did not pass so there is no use getting official things in?
Hahah no; definitely don't be worried about this. This paperwork has nothing to do with the results of the exam.

...but even if it did, which it doesn't, your logic could be flipped. The main reason they care so much about getting documentation for some departments like the first is that the bar exam center in NYC is near capacity. The fact that they don't care to ask you for documentation could then also mean that they don't anticipate your having to take this exam again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”