2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
b290

Bronze

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by b290 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 pm

studying4bar wrote:
b290 wrote:Just a reminder - some changes as to what’s allowed:

- Watches are no longer permitted
- Highlighters are also forbidden (I think they haven’t allowed those for years now)

Everything else from July remains the same, or should make sense.

I was just talking with someone who was taking the exam, the convo made be look up the policy again to be safe. Ended up bringing an analog watch for nothing. Don’t be me :lol:

My $.02
no highlighters, only old school pencils, and only blue OR black ink pens and only on day 1...I wasn't planning on my bar exam being artistic but think they are a tiny bit overzealous.... Are we allowed pencil sharpeners, anyone know? An older friend of mine said they weren't allowed but I do not see them prohibited...although of course under the permitted items it says: **ALL OTHER ITEMS ARE PROHIBITED – PROHIBITED ITEMS WILL BE CONFISCATED** and yet then goes on to specifically enumerate prohibited items.

Is this a BS pre-test sort of thing analogous to con law? "In light of the fact that permitted and prohibited items are specifically enumerated, despite providing notice that all other items are prohibited, the limiting, enumerated language suggests a level of sovereignty reserved to the examinees and such notice is void for vagueness and furthermore, when viewed either subjectively or objectively under the totality of the circumstances, a reasonably prudent bar examinee and/or reasonably prudent person can rationally infer from the language of the regulation and context in which it is being implemented would allow for a quiet hand-held pencil sharpener when 50% or 1 day of the exam required for licensure only allows pencils."

^PS, how was that for BSing an answer?
Well done for BSing :lol: Here’s a counter-answer:

It wouldn’t be void for vagueness. While a reg/law can be struck down due being overbroad (because it would not let someone know what’s illegal conduct), the prohibition in all caps, due to its placement, and wording, serves as notice as to what’s prohibited. That the BOLE provides later examples doesn’t negate the blanket prohibition. Both the reasonable person, and the applicant, would be able to discern what wouldn’t be allowed. Consequently, it’s fine.

I can’t wait to be done with this :lol:

I agree with you, their regs can seem asinine but remember, you’ve got to consider whom the BOLE’s dealing with - bar applicants (aka the most sue-happy group in the country). As for sharpeners, I brought my own, but the site had its own as is, so you didn’t need to. I don’t see that changing.

My $.02

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Best of luck test takers! Trust your prep and be confident of your abilities!!

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:46 pm

b290 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
b290 wrote:Just a reminder - some changes as to what’s allowed:

- Watches are no longer permitted
- Highlighters are also forbidden (I think they haven’t allowed those for years now)

Everything else from July remains the same, or should make sense.

I was just talking with someone who was taking the exam, the convo made be look up the policy again to be safe. Ended up bringing an analog watch for nothing. Don’t be me :lol:

My $.02
no highlighters, only old school pencils, and only blue OR black ink pens and only on day 1...I wasn't planning on my bar exam being artistic but think they are a tiny bit overzealous.... Are we allowed pencil sharpeners, anyone know? An older friend of mine said they weren't allowed but I do not see them prohibited...although of course under the permitted items it says: **ALL OTHER ITEMS ARE PROHIBITED – PROHIBITED ITEMS WILL BE CONFISCATED** and yet then goes on to specifically enumerate prohibited items.

Is this a BS pre-test sort of thing analogous to con law? "In light of the fact that permitted and prohibited items are specifically enumerated, despite providing notice that all other items are prohibited, the limiting, enumerated language suggests a level of sovereignty reserved to the examinees and such notice is void for vagueness and furthermore, when viewed either subjectively or objectively under the totality of the circumstances, a reasonably prudent bar examinee and/or reasonably prudent person can rationally infer from the language of the regulation and context in which it is being implemented would allow for a quiet hand-held pencil sharpener when 50% or 1 day of the exam required for licensure only allows pencils."

^PS, how was that for BSing an answer?
Well done for BSing :lol: Here’s a counter-answer:

It wouldn’t be void for vagueness. While a reg/law can be struck down due being overbroad (because it would not let someone know what’s illegal conduct), the prohibition in all caps, due to its placement, and wording, serves as notice as to what’s prohibited. That the BOLE provides later examples doesn’t negate the blanket prohibition. Both the reasonable person, and the applicant, would be able to discern what wouldn’t be allowed. Consequently, it’s fine.

I can’t wait to be done with this :lol:

I agree with you, their regs can seem asinine but remember, you’ve got to consider whom the BOLE’s dealing with - bar applicants (aka the most sue-happy group in the country). As for sharpeners, I brought my own, but the site had its own as is, so you didn’t need to. I don’t see that changing.

My $.02
Hahahaha, thank you and likewise well done. I'm with you, I am incredibly ready to be done with this. And I know they're dotting their 'i's and crossing their t's, but I'm just kind of thinking...people are burnt out, anxious, want to move on...you'd think they could just make the security policy straightforward. Though I think it could be written in crayon in a size 20 equivalent to writing and there would still be questions because no one wants to screw up, especially after the past...however long we studied.

eldausa

New

Post by eldausa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 am

Foreign trained atty sitting to take the NY bar in Armory. Stress level is going up every hour...ordered food for both days and at this point I have no idea what should I bring with me and what not!!
Been studying with Themis and was able to complete only 66% of the course.. I hope we will be lucky with some easy essays at least!

Good luck to all!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm

I graduated at the bottom of my class in law school and pass the NY bar (albeit on my 3rd attempt). Everyone who's taking it should relax.

Gloss over the material today (but don't go crazy and study 8 hours) and get some sleep. Don't eat any weird shit tonight (i.e. Chipotle). There's going to be a long line outside of the building and people are going to talk about the material. Tune them out. If you get stuck on an essay question, just kitchen sink it and apply everything you know to the fact pattern. Worst case scenario, make up a logical rule. Under no condition should you leave an essay question blank. As far as the multiple choice, if you're stuck on a question, choose the most logical answer.

May the force be with you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eldausa

New

Post by eldausa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 pm

L_William_W wrote:I graduated at the bottom of my class in law school and pass the NY bar (albeit on my 3rd attempt). Everyone who's taking it should relax.

Gloss over the material today (but don't go crazy and study 8 hours) and get some sleep. Don't eat any weird shit tonight (i.e. Chipotle). There's going to be a long line outside of the building and people are going to talk about the material. Tune them out. If you get stuck on an essay question, just kitchen sink it and apply everything you know to the fact pattern. Worst case scenario, make up a logical rule. Under no condition should you leave an essay question blank. As far as the multiple choice, if you're stuck on a question, choose the most logical answer.

Thank you

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 pm

L_William_W wrote:I graduated at the bottom of my class in law school and pass the NY bar (albeit on my 3rd attempt). Everyone who's taking it should relax.

Nice star wars touch...stole my line, you did ;-) did you take the old then new exam or just one or the other? Just curious because I know the last July NY Bar was brutal, it was all over the internet and papers. Anyway, have faith everyone and don't let this exam become more of a beast than it is. You had 3 years of law school and a prep course and probably a supplement or two. Hang in there, trust yourselves, watch your time, and go kill this thing.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:15 pm

GOOD LUCK, ALL.

Scared shitless and not excited to go through this a second time. Feel like I've been way too calm for weeks and its hitting me like a ton of bricks but 2 days and its over either way!

Question: anyone know if a jacket/scarf is a "prohibitted item"? Hate leaving anything in their coat rooms and don't see why we can't wear it anticipating we might get cold and just put it beneath our chair- and I can't remember for the life of me if people had jackets in the room in July...?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Yazzzay wrote:GOOD LUCK, ALL.

Scared shitless and not excited to go through this a second time. Feel like I've been way too calm for weeks and its hitting me like a ton of bricks but 2 days and its over either way!

Question: anyone know if a jacket/scarf is a "prohibitted item"? Hate leaving anything in their coat rooms and don't see why we can't wear it anticipating we might get cold and just put it beneath our chair- and I can't remember for the life of me if people had jackets in the room in July...?
They let me keep my scarf on! Honestly, I think it depends on the mood of the proctors half the time...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 pm

And may the curve be ever in your favor

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:06 am

ubebarstudying wrote:

Nice star wars touch...stole my line, you did ;-) did you take the old then new exam or just one or the other? Just curious because I know the last July NY Bar was brutal, it was all over the internet and papers.
I took the July 2014 (pre-MBE) NY bar and got my ass handed to me. 3 years later, I took the July 2017 UBE NY bar and passed with a 278. I totally fucked up on the MPT's, but my 149.3 MBE saved me. The UBE was MUCH easier than the nightmare July 2014 bar.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:08 am

Yazzzay wrote: Question: anyone know if a jacket/scarf is a "prohibitted item"? Hate leaving anything in their coat rooms and don't see why we can't wear it anticipating we might get cold and just put it beneath our chair- and I can't remember for the life of me if people had jackets in the room in July...?
You can't wear a jacket. I doubt you can wear a scarf. Just to be on the same safe, wear a hoodie (the hood must be tucked in).

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Guys what happens if in the MEE i put my answer in the wrong number? So number 1 was essay 6 in the booklet

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 pm

So uh...exemplify. disaster for everyone?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Are the wristbands waterproof?

How to shower with it on? Anyone else with the same problem? :D

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 pm

nada123 wrote:Are the wristbands waterproof?

Yes they are:)

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU WRITE THE ANSWER TO WRONG NUMBER

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Banana1 wrote:

Not sure anyone knows for sure, did you look online? I'd say contact them asap or on break/early tomorrow see if there is someone to talk to from NYSBA or BOLE

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

studying4bar wrote:
Banana1 wrote:

Not sure anyone knows for sure, did you look online? I'd say contact them asap or on break/early tomorrow see if there is someone to talk to from NYSBA or BOLE
theyre probably closed at the moment.. I will go early tomorrow to ask one of the proctors.. It would be ashame if they did not count the answers

Anonymous Defender

New

Post by Anonymous Defender » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Banana1 wrote:

I know of someone that did it with the MPT and it was not a problem

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Anonymous Defender wrote:
Banana1 wrote:

What ?? really? and do you know if they contacted anyone about it?

ecafracs

New

Post by ecafracs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Anonymous Defender wrote:
Banana1 wrote:

I think they specifically said during the instructions that you can do the MPTS in whatever order you prefer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eldausa

New

Post by eldausa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 pm

L_William_W wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:

Nice star wars touch...stole my line, you did ;-) did you take the old then new exam or just one or the other? Just curious because I know the last July NY Bar was brutal, it was all over the internet and papers.
I took the July 2014 (pre-MBE) NY bar and got my ass handed to me. 3 years later, I took the July 2017 UBE NY bar and passed with a 278. I totally fucked up on the MPT's, but my 149.3 MBE saved me. The UBE was MUCH easier than the nightmare July 2014 bar.
Do you have any idea what percentage would be the 149.3 that you got for MBE test?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Question: Did anybody get delayed because Examplify wasn’t working? We did in Buffalo :lol:

animalpeople

New

Post by animalpeople » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 pm

b290 wrote:Question: Did anybody get delayed because Examplify wasn’t working? We did in Buffalo :lol:
My floor did in Manhattan. Thankfully, I didn't have issues but it seemed to be a fairly widespread issue.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Ditto on the exemplify fail. You think they would plan these things more appropriately or anticipate issues. My room in Albany didn't start until 10:30.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”