2018 February New York Bar

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Banana1 wrote:Hi guys,

Does it matter when we register for the exam? For example would it make a difference if I registered on the 1st of November vs. the 10th?


Bump bc same question- will this affect our order for choosing a testing site?

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm

pvnyc wrote:Hello, side question. Is anyone working during bar review for Feb exam?
...


I’m working during bar prep. It’s definitely doable. But start planning now, as it’ll minimize extraneous (aka non-exam) stress. It’s proven that your mindset before the exam determines your performance. Don’t mess that up with what could’ve been prevented.

You need to know your weekly working hours. Exam prep is a “job”, and the pay sucks (but you’ll more than make up for it later). You’ll also need to craft your schedule, BEFORE you start prep. That means realistically accounting for your daily time.

Just to illustrate: with a 24-hour day, a full time job eats away 9-10 hours (accounting for travel time). You need to sleep; another 8 hours. That means you really only have 6-7 hours left to do everything else (shower, dinner, workout, social time, kids, etc.) that day. With about 30 hrs/week (minimum) necessary for bar prep, your bar prep’s done much more on your off day(s), and/or included @ work.

A part-time work schedule means you have more time to study, but that doesn’t obviate the need to plan. Scheduling’s so important that all bar prep companies include their own for you. Also, if you’re a retaker, you know what to improve on. Make your prepping time efficient.

Another note, work out your finances for the next few months (or thru Feb). If you have kids, please don’t ignore them. Any spouse/sig other must know now how important this is - usually he/she will understand. The last thing you’ll want is to psyche yourself (via worry) to a failing grade.

If you can, tap into your social network. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. Now is a good time (especially with the holidays coming up) to be on good terms with family. Any/all help you can get will be invaluable.

Also, take care of yourself. If you need a “time-out,” go for it. But remember that frequently extending such time = you’ll pay for it on the exam. Procrastination piles up, and it isn’t worth another year (exam, character & fitness, job switch) of your life on hold.

Final note: presume you will pass, then do what’s necessary to get there. Don’t even think about taking this in July 2018. (Save the doubt for when it really matters - when it gets closer to April :lol: ) I made a near 30-point jump, just by taking into account the above.

In short: plan, get/accept help, stay sane.

Note: this is for you, pvnyc, as well as all taking the exam. Figured I’d add in what was helpful.

My $.02

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:56 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
Banana1 wrote:Hi guys,

Does it matter when we register for the exam? For example would it make a difference if I registered on the 1st of November vs. the 10th?


Bump bc same question- will this affect our order for choosing a testing site?


There is no order in choosing a site. Everyone gets the site selection email at the same time - well after Nov 30. Thus, whether you register as of Nov 1, or Nov 29, you’re in the same position. Keep in mind that retakers have a different process (some years, that includes later deadlines) from first time takers.

The main point of the registration deadline is to determine how many people are taking the exam. That’s really for the BOLE to figure out what sites to hold the exam in. That’s all.

My $.02

User avatar
Uncle T
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Uncle T » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:58 am

Just wanted to toss in my two cents:

JDAdvising has a lot of useful information - they are one of the sites that also predicts what the MEE topics will be on each exam. Although I feel that any Bar Review course provides ample MBE materials (not to mention that we have all supplemented with one of a number of additional materials available), I wanted to give them a shout out for their one sheet MEE aid. It's available here: https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/mee-one-sheets/

HUGE help for me - they give a great overview and then indicate the most recent test that other frequently tested topics appeared. Promise this isn't an advertisement, just wanted to share how I supplemented Barbri's lackluster MEE preparation.

pvnyc
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby pvnyc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Uncle T wrote:Just wanted to toss in my two cents:

JDAdvising has a lot of useful information - they are one of the sites that also predicts what the MEE topics will be on each exam. Although I feel that any Bar Review course provides ample MBE materials (not to mention that we have all supplemented with one of a number of additional materials available), I wanted to give them a shout out for their one sheet MEE aid. It's available here: https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/mee-one-sheets/

HUGE help for me - they give a great overview and then indicate the most recent test that other frequently tested topics appeared. Promise this isn't an advertisement, just wanted to share how I supplemented Barbri's lackluster MEE preparation.


Hi, did the MBE one sheets help as well? I ordered both (failed July).. I am doing themis again (but not sure), plus I got adaptibar.

Anjanettea
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Anjanettea » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi All,

Missed passing the July exam by 10 points. Considering using Pieper's Concentrated Weekend program as opposed to Kaplan (again). Pieper's Concentrated Weekend program is 1 live class a week (Saturday) focusing on the main / commonly tested areas. 7 sessions in total, comes with more books and video replay. You're expected to have a basic foundation of the law in order to benefit from the course.

Anyone have experience with the Concentrated program? I've used Pieper for the MPRE Course, but that's it.

Sorry if the question has been asked already within the discussion.

Thank you.

Banana1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Banana1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 am

Uncle T wrote:Just wanted to toss in my two cents:

JDAdvising has a lot of useful information - they are one of the sites that also predicts what the MEE topics will be on each exam. Although I feel that any Bar Review course provides ample MBE materials (not to mention that we have all supplemented with one of a number of additional materials available), I wanted to give them a shout out for their one sheet MEE aid. It's available here: https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/mee-one-sheets/

HUGE help for me - they give a great overview and then indicate the most recent test that other frequently tested topics appeared. Promise this isn't an advertisement, just wanted to share how I supplemented Barbri's lackluster MEE preparation.



Do the sheets give a prediction on topics too rather than subjects alone?

Banana1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Banana1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:52 am

Btw is everyone or has everyone studied for every topic there is or did you eliminate topics from the begining according to what has come up over the years? Thanks!

teaearlgreyhot
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby teaearlgreyhot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Anjanettea wrote:Hi All,

Missed passing the July exam by 10 points. Considering using Pieper's Concentrated Weekend program as opposed to Kaplan (again). Pieper's Concentrated Weekend program is 1 live class a week (Saturday) focusing on the main / commonly tested areas. 7 sessions in total, comes with more books and video replay. You're expected to have a basic foundation of the law in order to benefit from the course.

Anyone have experience with the Concentrated program? I've used Pieper for the MPRE Course, but that's it.

Sorry if the question has been asked already within the discussion.

Thank you.


I used the full Pieper course and I thought they were outstanding. It's a small, family company and they really pride themselves on their accessibility. I also think their mnemonics are incredibly useful. If the weekend course is taught by the same people as the full course (John, Damian and Troy), I would recommend it.

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 am

JD Advising's essays predictions were spot on - they've been getting them close for the last few exams (all 6 for July, 5 out of 6 for Feb 2017). It was great to know I wasn't wasting time really studying for...Family Law, knowing it wasn't going to be on the exam. The only caveat's that with a frequency chart (also on the blog), you can pretty much narrow it down to 8-10 subjects you must study for the exam. You still have to do your due diligence and at least "review" the other 5-8 subjects.

I got the One Sheets. They go over the topics that have been tested over the last decade, also by frequency (by exam), and even a note on what happens as per issue. Towards the exam, I ditch anything over 2 pages (per subject) and that's more for recall than "I have no idea what's going on". I LOVED them.

Samples:
http://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/wp ... mple-1.jpg
http://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/wp ... mple-2.jpg

I don't work for them, nor do I receive compensation for recommending - just to put that out there :lol:

Banana1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Banana1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 am

b290 wrote:JD Advising's essays predictions were spot on - they've been getting them close for the last few exams (all 6 for July, 5 out of 6 for Feb 2017). It was great to know I wasn't wasting time really studying for...Family Law, knowing it wasn't going to be on the exam. The only caveat's that with a frequency chart (also on the blog), you can pretty much narrow it down to 8-10 subjects you must study for the exam. You still have to do your due diligence and at least "review" the other 5-8 subjects.

I got the One Sheets. They go over the topics that have been tested over the last decade, also by frequency (by exam), and even a note on what happens as per issue. Towards the exam, I ditch anything over 2 pages (per subject) and that's more for recall than "I have no idea what's going on". I LOVED them.

Samples:
http://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/wp ... mple-1.jpg
http://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/wp ... mple-2.jpg

I don't work for them, nor do I receive compensation for recommending - just to put that out there :lol:


Do you know if Emanuels bar review is good?

Anjanettea
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Anjanettea » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:21 pm

teaearlgreyhot wrote:
Anjanettea wrote:Hi All,

Missed passing the July exam by 10 points. Considering using Pieper's Concentrated Weekend program as opposed to Kaplan (again). Pieper's Concentrated Weekend program is 1 live class a week (Saturday) focusing on the main / commonly tested areas. 7 sessions in total, comes with more books and video replay. You're expected to have a basic foundation of the law in order to benefit from the course.

Anyone have experience with the Concentrated program? I've used Pieper for the MPRE Course, but that's it.

Sorry if the question has been asked already within the discussion.

Thank you.


I used the full Pieper course and I thought they were outstanding. It's a small, family company and they really pride themselves on their accessibility. I also think their mnemonics are incredibly useful. If the weekend course is taught by the same people as the full course (John, Damian and Troy), I would recommend it.


Thank you for your response, greatly appreciate it. More than likely I'm investing in Pieper as I intend to pass and move on with my life. LOL Good luck all 2018 February exam takers.

Blackberie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Blackberie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 pm

lolabear727 wrote:Hey Ladies and Gents! I'm back for round 2!! Didn't pass Feb17, was going to take July 17 but postponed. I'm ready to do this!

I think this go round I will use Themis. I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney. I didn't take a commercial course for February. I have a set of Barbri UBE books and I used Adaptibar. I scored higher than I anticipated (although still not passing). Rather, considering the limited amount of time I had to study, I was happy with where I scored. July I used the same stuff and also purchased the OneSheets **thanks CNK1220!!**.

I postponed 3 weeks before the test.

What is everyone else doing? Anybody working full time and studying? What is your strategy?



Hey there! I'm working full-time. I'm a repeater - Failed Feb 2017 and July 2017 but my score is improving. I hired a tutor and I'm also doin the MBE workshop with Law Tutors. I have Themis to re-use so I'll be using them for grading essays. Pretty much limited to a few hours a day. I'm contemplating getting the MEE one sheets from JD advising

Champs.vhd
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:04 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Champs.vhd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 am

Hey guys! another Feb test-taker here!
Any thoughts on Barmax for the UBE?

pvnyc
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby pvnyc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi everyone, second time ny ube taker. Failed July 2017.
My MBE was really low. Is anyone willing to share their materials that helped them with the exam? My MPT was the strongest--- but everything else was a disaster.
Thank you

Banana1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Banana1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Hey guys'

do we need to take any additional steps for the laptop programme other than choosing the programme when registering for the exam?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 am

Checking in. This is TCR, thanks for posting. Failed July 17. For those working full time, how long are you taking off before the exam to study full time?

b290 wrote:
pvnyc wrote:Hello, side question. Is anyone working during bar review for Feb exam?
...


I’m working during bar prep. It’s definitely doable. But start planning now, as it’ll minimize extraneous (aka non-exam) stress. It’s proven that your mindset before the exam determines your performance. Don’t mess that up with what could’ve been prevented.

You need to know your weekly working hours. Exam prep is a “job”, and the pay sucks (but you’ll more than make up for it later). You’ll also need to craft your schedule, BEFORE you start prep. That means realistically accounting for your daily time.

Just to illustrate: with a 24-hour day, a full time job eats away 9-10 hours (accounting for travel time). You need to sleep; another 8 hours. That means you really only have 6-7 hours left to do everything else (shower, dinner, workout, social time, kids, etc.) that day. With about 30 hrs/week (minimum) necessary for bar prep, your bar prep’s done much more on your off day(s), and/or included @ work.

A part-time work schedule means you have more time to study, but that doesn’t obviate the need to plan. Scheduling’s so important that all bar prep companies include their own for you. Also, if you’re a retaker, you know what to improve on. Make your prepping time efficient.

Another note, work out your finances for the next few months (or thru Feb). If you have kids, please don’t ignore them. Any spouse/sig other must know now how important this is - usually he/she will understand. The last thing you’ll want is to psyche yourself (via worry) to a failing grade.

If you can, tap into your social network. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. Now is a good time (especially with the holidays coming up) to be on good terms with family. Any/all help you can get will be invaluable.

Also, take care of yourself. If you need a “time-out,” go for it. But remember that frequently extending such time = you’ll pay for it on the exam. Procrastination piles up, and it isn’t worth another year (exam, character & fitness, job switch) of your life on hold.

Final note: presume you will pass, then do what’s necessary to get there. Don’t even think about taking this in July 2018. (Save the doubt for when it really matters - when it gets closer to April :lol: ) I made a near 30-point jump, just by taking into account the above.

In short: plan, get/accept help, stay sane.

Note: this is for you, pvnyc, as well as all taking the exam. Figured I’d add in what was helpful.

My $.02

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 am

JustHawkin wrote:Checking in. This is TCR, thanks for posting. Failed July 17. For those working full time, how long are you taking off before the exam to study full time?


I won’t be taking off more than a week before. But that’s because I already have 3-day weekend built-in weekly. I’d imagine, it’d depend on your schedule & finances - the last thing you’d want is to have worry about $ distract you before the exam.

My $.02

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 am

Banana1 wrote:Hey guys'

do we need to take any additional steps for the laptop programme other than choosing the programme when registering for the exam?


I already stated in an earlier post, as it was in sequential order:

- Choose “typing” during exam registration
- Pay the software fee (upon getting the email from ExamSoft
- Download & install ExamSoft software
- Download Mock Exam, MEE AM & PM answers from ExamSoft
- Take Mock Exam (it doesn’t matter what you type, just “do” each question)
- Send Mock Exam to ExamSoft
- You’re done.

My $.02

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 am

Dude took the exam SEVENTEEN times - finally passed. Had to fly in from abroad each time, and is married. Read and be inspired! :)

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013 ... t-customer

There’s hope. Perseverance works! :lol:

My $.02

Banana1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Banana1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 am

b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote:Hey guys'

do we need to take any additional steps for the laptop programme other than choosing the programme when registering for the exam?


I already stated in an earlier post, as it was in sequential order:

- Choose “typing” during exam registration
- Pay the software fee (upon getting the email from ExamSoft
- Download & install ExamSoft software
- Download Mock Exam, MEE AM & PM answers from ExamSoft
- Take Mock Exam (it doesn’t matter what you type, just “do” each question)
- Send Mock Exam to ExamSoft
- You’re done.

My $.02


Thanks! Was nervous because I did not get the email from examsoft yet

b290
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 am

Banana1 wrote:Thanks! Was nervous because I did not get the email from examsoft yet


You’ll be waiting a while, I also mentioned earlier that the ExamSoft email won’t be sent until December (at the earliest).

Calm down bro :lol:

My $.02

Banana1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Banana1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:17 pm

b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote:Thanks! Was nervous because I did not get the email from examsoft yet


You’ll be waiting a while, I also mentioned earlier that the ExamSoft email won’t be sent until December (at the earliest).

Calm down bro :lol:

My $.02


HAHAHA thanks I will try :lol:

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am

Blackberie wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Hey Ladies and Gents! I'm back for round 2!! Didn't pass Feb17, was going to take July 17 but postponed. I'm ready to do this!

I think this go round I will use Themis. I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney. I didn't take a commercial course for February. I have a set of Barbri UBE books and I used Adaptibar. I scored higher than I anticipated (although still not passing). Rather, considering the limited amount of time I had to study, I was happy with where I scored. July I used the same stuff and also purchased the OneSheets **thanks CNK1220!!**.

I postponed 3 weeks before the test.

What is everyone else doing? Anybody working full time and studying? What is your strategy?



Hey there! I'm working full-time. I'm a repeater - Failed Feb 2017 and July 2017 but my score is improving. I hired a tutor and I'm also doin the MBE workshop with Law Tutors. I have Themis to re-use so I'll be using them for grading essays. Pretty much limited to a few hours a day. I'm contemplating getting the MEE one sheets from JD advising


I got them. I didn't use them for the Feb 2017 exam but I got them for July 2017 before I decided not to take it. I would recommended them. Very condensed but lots of great information. I can see that definitely helping with essays.

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am

pvnyc wrote:Hi everyone, second time ny ube taker. Failed July 2017.
My MBE was really low. Is anyone willing to share their materials that helped them with the exam? My MPT was the strongest--- but everything else was a disaster.
Thank you


If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us what your scores were? I would suggest doing Adaptibar. I've used it for other exams (Florida and my NY attempt) While I didn't pass NY, that was not b/c of AB that was because I didn't study enough and I was working full time. I did what I could with the limited amount of time I had. However, with FL in 2015, it helped me raise my score by 15 points. Totally worth the money! I'm also taking Themis this go round as I did not take a prep course the first time and just used 2016 Barbri books and AB.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests