2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kc128

Bronze

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by kc128 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Banana1 wrote:can we bring medicine in the exam room?
I brought medication in the actual prescription bottle w/ the label and had no problem.

http://www.nybarexam.org/docs/secpolicy.pdf

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 am

smin0505 wrote:Hi everyone! Passed NY July 2017 and I am selling my Barbri UBE July 2017/February 2018 books - the entire set. Used so some scratchwork/underlining/highlighting but overall plenty of untouched practice MBE sets, MEE's, and MPT's since I mainly used separate paper. Private message me with an offer if interested! Thanks and best of luck!
Do you still have the MEE sheets available?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am

Has anyone done both Barbri and Emanuel questions? I was having difficulty with Barbri (getting ~50% of questions correct), but just tried some Emanuel questions and have been getting 100% correct. This discrepancy seems bizarre to me. Which is the better indicator of performance and where should I be focusing my efforts for this last week (difficult Barbri questions or more Emanuel questions)>

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 pm

bretby wrote:Has anyone done both Barbri and Emanuel questions? I was having difficulty with Barbri (getting ~50% of questions correct), but just tried some Emanuel questions and have been getting 100% correct. This discrepancy seems bizarre to me. Which is the better indicator of performance and where should I be focusing my efforts for this last week (difficult Barbri questions or more Emanuel questions)>
I have been doing Barbri, Adaptibar (some) and some of the Emmanuel Finz book. Barbri seems to be the hardest of the three. I agree with you, I have done better in the Emmanuel book (not 100%) but a bit better. I have heard Barbri questions are harder and test more nuances, but I guess we won't know if that is true until next week.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 am

kc128 wrote:
I brought medication in the actual prescription bottle w/ the label and had no problem.

"• NO luggage, handbags, purses, backpacks, briefcases, laptop bags, sleeves or protective cases of any kind, tote bags, or bags of any kind."

Does that mean you have to remove the protective shell off of your laptop? What if you have a decal on your laptop?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 am

Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

"• NO luggage, handbags, purses, backpacks, briefcases, laptop bags, sleeves or protective cases of any kind, tote bags, or bags of any kind."

Does that mean you have to remove the protective shell off of your laptop? What if you have a decal on your laptop?
Idk about decals. I would take the shell off your laptop & leave it in the personal belongings area. I left my computer case in my bag last time so I didn't worry about scratching my computer in transport.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm

kc128 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

Idk about decals. I would take the shell off your laptop & leave it in the personal belongings area. I left my computer case in my bag last time so I didn't worry about scratching my computer in transport.
I had a little animal decal on mine in July- I think it's fine- probably better it doesn't have letters/word on it though? and no protective covers/shells in the test room, ya!

IwiLLdoIt

New

Post by IwiLLdoIt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

Taking the exam in Albany this time and I keep getting emails about ordering lunch from the gourmet, any suggestions on getting food during the break without running all over town?

kaycee

New

Post by kaycee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello everyone!
Trust your lats minute reading and preparation is going great. Foreign educated lawyer here and plan on taking the NY bar in July. Just want to ask those who wish to sell off their prep materials and discuss all other prep related resources to please PM me.
Thanks and goodluck everyone! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hellaperla

New

Post by hellaperla » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 am

hi hi, last-minute question! If anyone can help me without me needing to call BOLE for this but...we're allowed to put cash into the gallon storage bag right? It's not in the allowed items listed in the security policy but it was specifically mentioned in the email that we're allowed to bring cash! Just wanted to double (and triple) check. Good luck to everyone!

Blackberie

New

Post by Blackberie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 pm

IwiLLdoIt wrote:Taking the exam in Albany this time and I keep getting emails about ordering lunch from the gourmet, any suggestions on getting food during the break without running all over town?
Hey there! The concourse has a bunch of options - you don’t have to order the lunch. We have an hour and a half so plenty of time - I’ll see you there but feel free to PM me or ask more questions if you have them

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 am

Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

You’re fine. Last July, my protective cover was covered with stickers and decals. No one said a word.

They mean bags outside of the ziplock you’re allowed to bring in

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:44 am

FYI, we’re having unusually warm weather in the Great Lakes region (Buffalo’s included).

Just in case you were worried about blizzards, snow, ice, etc., it’s not happening. :lol:

Plan accordingly

My $.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm

bcohen226 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
nada123 wrote:Got the ticket about 6 hours ago. Also another email from Examsoft
Also received my seat ticket. Is the examsoft email an update?
Got my seat ticket too, @ Armory. Got the lunch email as well yesterday. Seems a little expensive but worth it just to have one less thing to hassle over.
In case no one replied yet, yes, in its original bottle. Security policy should say.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Blackberie wrote:
IwiLLdoIt wrote:Taking the exam in Albany this time and I keep getting emails about ordering lunch from the gourmet, any suggestions on getting food during the break without running all over town?
Hey there! The concourse has a bunch of options - you don’t have to order the lunch. We have an hour and a half so plenty of time - I’ll see you there but feel free to PM me or ask more questions if you have them
Yes the concourse has cafeterias with decent food where the state workers eat, some fast food places, etc. I wouldn't do the gourmet meal thing. It wasn't my taste and plenty of other people made alternate arrangements on day 2.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:52 pm

hellaperla wrote:hi hi, last-minute question! If anyone can help me without me needing to call BOLE for this but...we're allowed to put cash into the gallon storage bag right? It's not in the allowed items listed in the security policy but it was specifically mentioned in the email that we're allowed to bring cash! Just wanted to double (and triple) check. Good luck to everyone!
Cash is fine. If they didn't allow it, hangry examinees would give the proctors and security people night terrors.

ecafracs

New

Post by ecafracs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 pm

hellaperla wrote:hi hi, last-minute question! If anyone can help me without me needing to call BOLE for this but...we're allowed to put cash into the gallon storage bag right? It's not in the allowed items listed in the security policy but it was specifically mentioned in the email that we're allowed to bring cash! Just wanted to double (and triple) check. Good luck to everyone!
Can't you just put cash in your pocket?

I was planning to take my entire wallet with me (cash, credit cards, metro card, ID) is that not allowed?

Also, does anyone know, are we allowed to drink during the exam? I know it says we can bring a drink, but it said something about storing it under our desk.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm

ecafracs wrote:
Can't you just put cash in your pocket?

I was planning to take my entire wallet with me (cash, credit cards, metro card, ID) is that not allowed?

Also, does anyone know, are we allowed to drink during the exam? I know it says we can bring a drink, but it said something about storing it under our desk.
You can bring a clear, plastic bottle so long as you remove the label. I've personally left my wallet in my bag in the belongings room (sans credit cards).

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:23 am

Same here, there should be places to go right in the area, I personally didn't order anything. Good luck!

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am

b290 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

You’re fine. Last July, my protective cover was covered with stickers and decals. No one said a word.

I have my macbook's serial number on the cover on a sticker, should I remove that for this exam? Hoping it's fine.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:04 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

I have my macbook's serial number on the cover on a sticker, should I remove that for this exam? Hoping it's fine.
I am sure that is fine.

Do people plan on bringing notes for the personal belongings room/do most people plan on using the room? I'm torn on the former, but I hear a lot of people bring notes.

Anyone interested in meeting up before the exam or at a certain location during our 2 day venture? The majority of us will have a bit of a wait on day 1, I'm sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm

studying4bar wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

I am sure that is fine.

Do people plan on bringing notes for the personal belongings room/do most people plan on using the room? I'm torn on the former, but I hear a lot of people bring notes.

Anyone interested in meeting up before the exam or at a certain location during our 2 day venture? The majority of us will have a bit of a wait on day 1, I'm sure.
People bring notes (and outright books) to leave in the personal belongings room.

A meetup would be fantastic. At the end, I was looking forward to the “festivities” after and removing that stupid green party bracelet (after check-in, you MUST wear it until end of exam Wed). Not sure where people are - I’m in Buffalo.

For people taking in Buffalo, I’m already there. If you have any questions, ask away :lol:

I feel safe saying that you all know what’s necessary to pass this test. Trust yourselves.

My $.02

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:55 pm

b290 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:
kc128 wrote:

I am sure that is fine.

People bring notes (and outright books) to leave in the personal belongings room.

A meetup would be fantastic. At the end, I was looking forward to the “festivities” after and removing that stupid green party bracelet (after check-in, you MUST wear it until end of exam Wed). Not sure where people are - I’m in Buffalo.

For people taking in Buffalo, I’m already there. If you have any questions, ask away :lol:

I feel safe saying that you all know what’s necessary to pass this test. Trust yourselves.

My $.02
Good to hear about the notes, and I am in Albany but agree that it'd be good to meet up with people and also that it wouldn't kill me to have company to have a very stiff drink with after taking a blowtorch to my notes.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Just a reminder - some changes as to what’s allowed:

- Watches are no longer permitted
- Highlighters are also forbidden (I think they haven’t allowed those for years now)

Everything else from July remains the same, or should make sense.

I was just talking with someone who was taking the exam, the convo made be look up the policy again to be safe. Ended up bringing an analog watch for nothing. Don’t be me :lol:

My $.02

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:00 pm

b290 wrote:Just a reminder - some changes as to what’s allowed:

- Watches are no longer permitted
- Highlighters are also forbidden (I think they haven’t allowed those for years now)

Everything else from July remains the same, or should make sense.

I was just talking with someone who was taking the exam, the convo made be look up the policy again to be safe. Ended up bringing an analog watch for nothing. Don’t be me :lol:

My $.02
no highlighters, only old school pencils, and only blue OR black ink pens and only on day 1...I wasn't planning on my bar exam being artistic but think they are a tiny bit overzealous.... Are we allowed pencil sharpeners, anyone know? An older friend of mine said they weren't allowed but I do not see them prohibited...although of course under the permitted items it says: **ALL OTHER ITEMS ARE PROHIBITED – PROHIBITED ITEMS WILL BE CONFISCATED** and yet then goes on to specifically enumerate prohibited items.

Is this a BS pre-test sort of thing analogous to con law? "In light of the fact that permitted and prohibited items are specifically enumerated, despite providing notice that all other items are prohibited, the limiting, enumerated language suggests a level of sovereignty reserved to the examinees and such notice is void for vagueness and furthermore, when viewed either subjectively or objectively under the totality of the circumstances, a reasonably prudent bar examinee and/or reasonably prudent person can rationally infer from the language of the regulation and context in which it is being implemented would allow for a quiet hand-held pencil sharpener when 50% or 1 day of the exam required for licensure only allows pencils."

^PS, how was that for BSing an answer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”