2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Banana1

New

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:49 am

b290 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
How do we find out which test location is laptop or handwrite? Couldn't find any information anywhere.
When you apply, you choose whether you're typing or handwriting. If you're typing, when you choose your location, it'll tell you which site has both - as per what's available.

nada123 wrote: I'm also out of state (foreign actually) so will probably end up with Albany or Buffalo. How was your experience of Buffalo? Would you take it there again this time? Heard about the snow and how cold it gets there!! Was it really bad?
I'm coming in from out of state and I'll choose Buffalo again. There are plenty of places downtown, and hotels outside of have shuttles to take you to the center and back. I live in the Midwest, and with Buffalo having the same weather, I can assure you that we don't shut down unless there's literally 2 ft (60ish cm) of snow - and even then, that just means things are delayed for a few hours. You're fine :lol:
Hey b290!

Can you please advice on which location has both ?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:45 am

Banana1 wrote:
All sites are both (someone correct me if I’m wrong), but what you can choose, depends on location and when you attend to the selection email. You only get to choose handwriting v. typing if you select “I will be using a computer” with your test application, pay the additional $100 software fee (at a later point), and properly install the software in your laptop. If you don’t do all three, you still can choose where you’re going, but obviously only from the available handwriting options. The limitations noted below really are for typing candidates.

Some things to know:

NYC’s now reserved first for those who went NY for law school (before it was based on a NYC area residence). For everybody else, it’s a first-come, first-choose basis. I had NYC as an “option” when I basically opened the email as soon as I got it. Even then, before I could choose it, it literally disappeared (it does happen :lol: ). If you want NYC, you basically have to watch your email like a hawk, and hope it’ll be there when you choose.

The “smaller” places (Saratoga, White Plains, etc.) don’t have as many seats, so what you get to choose is mostly dependent on when you choose. Also the specific testing site may be seasonal (either summer only or winter).

Albany & Buffalo usually are available for both, even if you don’t choose right away. This July, I didn’t even know I got the email (@ work, phone was on silent), and I still had those two options several hours later.

My $.02

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 am

b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote:
All sites are both (someone correct me if I’m wrong), but what you can choose, depends on location and when you attend to the selection email. You only get to choose handwriting v. typing if you select “I will be using a computer” with your test application, pay the additional $100 software fee (at a later point), and properly install the software in your laptop. If you don’t do all three, you still can choose where you’re going, but obviously only from the available handwriting options. The limitations noted below really are for typing candidates.

Some things to know:

NYC’s now reserved first for those who went NY for law school (before it was based on a NYC area residence). For everybody else, it’s a first-come, first-choose basis. I had NYC as an “option” when I basically opened the email as soon as I got it. Even then, before I could choose it, it literally disappeared (it does happen :lol: ). If you want NYC, you basically have to watch your email like a hawk, and hope it’ll be there when you choose.

The “smaller” places (Saratoga, White Plains, etc.) don’t have as many seats, so what you get to choose is mostly dependent on when you choose. Also the specific testing site may be seasonal (either summer only or winter).

Albany & Buffalo usually are available for both, even if you don’t choose right away. This July, I didn’t even know I got the email (@ work, phone was on silent), and I still had those two options several hours later.

My $.02
Thank you so much! and we get to choose the locations when ? sorry Im new to this :D

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 am

Banana1 wrote: Thank you so much! and we get to choose the locations when ? sorry Im new to this :D
No need to apologize! The whole thing can be intimidating; the less stress, the better haha :lol:

Right now the app deadline (for retakers) is November 30, so nothing’s happening until December 1 at the earliest.

Early-mid December: you’ll get an email telling you that you need to pay ExamSoft the software fee (by credit card; the site says no debit cards but I used my bank card and had no problem).

After paying the fee, ExamSoft will send you an email telling you how to download & install the software on your computer. You have to download the exam answer docs and a mock exam (you just type something into each question) which you’ll send back to ExamSoft. At this point, you’ve secured the option to choose a typing site.

Note, it can be revoked if you’re not set up before the site selection email goes out (and you’ve effectively wasted $100). Also, make sure that the computer you install it on is the one you’ll use on exam day. It’ll be another $50 if you change your mind, or if something happens to it. Double check to make sure that your computer, and its operating system, supports ExamSoft (up to Windows 10 (PC) or Sierra (Mac) ) otherwise you’ll have to find another computer and pay another $50.

Around mid-January : You should expect the email for selecting your site. You’ll be taken to the NY Bar Exam website, given your options, and you choose. After that, you’ve secured where, and how, you’re taking the exam. Barring something really spectacular (terrorist attack, cheating, etc.), that’s not changing.

My $.02

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am

b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote: Thank you so much! and we get to choose the locations when ? sorry Im new to this :D
No need to apologize! The whole thing can be intimidating; the less stress, the better haha :lol:

Right now the app deadline (for retakers) is November 30, so nothing’s happening until December 1 at the earliest.

Early-mid December: you’ll get an email telling you that you need to pay ExamSoft the software fee (by credit card; the site says no debit cards but I used my bank card and had no problem).

After paying the fee, ExamSoft will send you an email telling you how to download & install the software on your computer. You have to download the exam answer docs and a mock exam (you just type something into each question) which you’ll send back to ExamSoft. At this point, you’ve secured the option to choose a typing site.

Note, it can be revoked if you’re not set up before the site selection email goes out (and you’ve effectively wasted $100). Also, make sure that the computer you install it on is the one you’ll use on exam day. It’ll be another $50 if you change your mind, or if something happens to it. Double check to make sure that your computer, and its operating system, supports ExamSoft (up to Windows 10 (PC) or Sierra (Mac) ) otherwise you’ll have to find another computer and pay another $50.

Around mid-January : You should expect the email for selecting your site. You’ll be taken to the NY Bar Exam website, given your options, and you choose. After that, you’ve secured where, and how, you’re taking the exam. Barring something really spectacular (terrorist attack, cheating, etc.), that’s not changing.

My $.02

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:47 am

Is there a time we need to take the NYLE/NYLC??

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

Banana1 wrote:Is there a time we need to take the NYLE/NYLC??
Not really. Like the MPRE, it’s completely separate from the UBE. When states switched over to the UBE, most of them added a “state law” course, and some added an exam. The NYLC is just the NY version. The time to register depends on which NYLE (the exam) you’re taking. You obviously have to pass it at some point to be licensed in NY :lol:

The NYLC is basically a mini-bar prep course. You’ll watch videos with NY specific topics (obviously) and answer multiple choice questions. You have to pay at least minimal attention because you must successfully pass all of the sections to take the NYLE. There’s also a deadline to finish the NYLC, otherwise you have to start over. The NYLC is free.

To take the NYLC, you’ll register, pay ExamSoft $25, and download the software onto your computer. That part’s the same as the bar exam. The things you need to look out for while registering are also the same.

The exam itself is a joke. You should be able to pass by memory, However, it’s an open-book test; you’re free to use whatever materials you want. It’s also timed so you do want to finish it quickly.

I took it after my July 2016 exam. A buddy recommended that I use two computers with one having the state-supplied outline and the other having your exam. It was solid advice; I pretty much knew I passed upon finishing (passing is 30 out of 50 questions correct, or 60% ) . It really is the least of your worries 8)

Extra note: you’ll want to do the NYLC/NYLE when it’s separate from your UBE prep & exam. Some NY distinctions contradict heavily what you’ll learn for the UBE (NY retains some rules that almost every other state’s long abandoned) and CPLR is a beast onto itself. It’s bad enough you have to (re)learn Federal Civil Procedure; add CPLR and you will go crazy :lol:

My $.02

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:02 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
sdphill wrote:
guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
Sounds great but where can i get Themis books or MBE subject outlines?

If i don't know the black letter law, would i still be able to start on adaptibar?
sent you a PM, I can email you outlines and other resources I have.
Can I get the resources too? I'm taking the NY Bar in Feb and am planning on studying early since I'm working full time.

Same here! 3 of us so far! I'm glad i'm not alone.
MAKE IT 4

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Banana1 wrote:
b290 wrote:

My $.02

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!
Thanks for the detailed information! Really helpful!!!

Another question, how does the MPRE work? Does it matter if you've taken it but find out you haven't passed the bar exam?

Planning on taking it after the February exam but will be flying in from overseas. Can we choose the location? And how long before the test do we find out which location we've been given?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:26 pm

b290 wrote: I'm coming in from out of state and I'll choose Buffalo again. There are plenty of places downtown, and hotels outside of have shuttles to take you to the center and back. I live in the Midwest, and with Buffalo having the same weather, I can assure you that we don't shut down unless there's literally 2 ft (60ish cm) of snow - and even then, that just means things are delayed for a few hours. You're fine :lol:
That's very reassuring. Thank you!!
Know if there's many food options around the area? Will be flying in a bit earlier.

chocciebiccie

New

Post by chocciebiccie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Banana1 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
sdphill wrote:
guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

If i don't know the black letter law, would i still be able to start on adaptibar?
Can I get the resources too? I'm taking the NY Bar in Feb and am planning on studying early since I'm working full time.

MAKE IT 4
...me 5 please :)

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 pm

chocciebiccie wrote:
Banana1 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
sdphill wrote:
guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

MAKE IT 4
make it 6 please... retaker.. failed july... feels hopeless....embarassed to go outside and meet people.. anxiety on the roof :(

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:29 am

nada123 wrote: Another question, how does the MPRE work? Does it matter if you've taken it but find out you haven't passed the bar exam?

Planning on taking it after the February exam but will be flying in from overseas. Can we choose the location? And how long before the test do we find out which location we've been given?

Thanks!
You pick the location right when you sign up. I recommend keeping an eye on the sign up times and making sure you're one of the first to sign up, so you can get a reasonable location (there are a limited number of locations that are located in major cities, the rest are all over the place, at least where I live) and know for sure where to be.

You don't wanna wait til the last minute to sign up and end up having to rent a car from Boston to Providence to take the MPRE, for example.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 pm

nada123 wrote:
b290 wrote: I'm coming in from out of state and I'll choose Buffalo again. There are plenty of places downtown, and hotels outside of have shuttles to take you to the center and back. I live in the Midwest, and with Buffalo having the same weather, I can assure you that we don't shut down unless there's literally 2 ft (60ish cm) of snow - and even then, that just means things are delayed for a few hours. You're fine :lol:
That's very reassuring. Thank you!!
Know if there's many food options around the area? Will be flying in a bit earlier.
There are options, although some downtown places close early (the restaurants do stay open later). It might be a little different because it’s hockey season - I haven’t checked the Sabres schedule yet. Plenty of places to order in though

Many people get the lunches at the convention center but I’d just go to the restaurants that were a few blocks away. Just keep track of time and you’re good.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
nada123 wrote: Another question, how does the MPRE work? Does it matter if you've taken it but find out you haven't passed the bar exam?

Thanks!
You pick the location right when you sign up. I recommend keeping an eye on the sign up times and making sure you're one of the first to sign up, so you can get a reasonable location (there are a limited number of locations that are located in major cities, the rest are all over the place, at least where I live) and know for sure where to be.

You don't wanna wait til the last minute to sign up and end up having to rent a car from Boston to Providence to take the MPRE, for example.
This. The first time I took the MPRE, I didn’t register until late. I ended up driving halfway across the state, in a thunderstorm. Technically arrived late, but they were nice enough to let me in. I failed.

When I took it again, I registered super early, got the place I wanted. It was 10 mins away. I passed.

Logistics matter :lol:

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Also, remember that you can't have electronics with you at the MPRE. I wanted to Uber to my exam location, and then realized that I wouldn't be able to get in with my phone, so I ended up walking two miles to the location that morning. It sucked.

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 am

b290 wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:

Thanks!

This. The first time I took the MPRE, I didn’t register until late. I ended up driving halfway across the state, in a thunderstorm. Technically arrived late, but they were nice enough to let me in. I failed.

When I took it again, I registered super early, got the place I wanted. It was 10 mins away. I passed.

Logistics matter :lol:
Thanks so much for the tips b290 and Damage Over Time! Had absolutely no idea!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

Damage Over Time wrote:Also, remember that you can't have electronics with you at the MPRE. I wanted to Uber to my exam location, and then realized that I wouldn't be able to get in with my phone, so I ended up walking two miles to the location that morning. It sucked.
You can leave it in the coat room though... :|

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 am

pvnyc wrote:
chocciebiccie wrote:
Banana1 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
sdphill wrote:
guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

MAKE IT 4
make it 6 please... retaker.. failed july... feels hopeless....embarassed to go outside and meet people.. anxiety on the roof :(

Yay!!! I don't feel so alone! I'm a retaker from Feb 2017, didn't want to retake right away with my work schedule. Taking Themis this time. Didn't take any prep courses last time except for Adaptibar and used books. I figured this time I should have more structure.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:13 am

lolabear727 wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:Also, remember that you can't have electronics with you at the MPRE. I wanted to Uber to my exam location, and then realized that I wouldn't be able to get in with my phone, so I ended up walking two miles to the location that morning. It sucked.
You can leave it in the coat room though... :|
Don't recall my testing center having a coat room

anabasis

New

Post by anabasis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:28 pm

b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote:Is there a time we need to take the NYLE/NYLC??

I took it after my July 2016 exam. A buddy recommended that I use two computers with one having the state-supplied outline and the other having your exam. It was solid advice; I pretty much knew I passed upon finishing (passing is 30 out of 50 questions correct, or 60% ) . It really is the least of your worries 8)

A second monitor works as well, assuming you have the usual external video port on your laptop. Keep the PDF course outline open on one screen, and the exam itself open on the other. The NYLE Examsoft setup doesn't lock out other applications, at least it didn't as of the Sep 2017 exam.

Do set up the dual screen ahead of time - you won't have time to waste with technical issues during the actual exam. The one thing that seems to be strictly enforced for the NYLE is the start and end time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello, side question. Is anyone working during bar review for Feb exam?
I was thinking about doing a post-graduate fellowship... not sure if it is a good idea.

Its been hard.. failing the july bar hurts. I got a 232... my writing section was "acceptable" but I bombed the MBE (need to make a significant improvement)

I have been home.. and doing some part time work (15/hr per week at my law school doing administrative work).., and I really want to do some legal work.. its been hard.

If I do get the fellowship.. I can stop working until third week of Jan.

drns

New

Post by drns » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:30 am

Mod edit: selling proprietary course materials on TLS is not allowed.

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:59 am

Hi guys,

Does it matter when we register for the exam? For example would it make a difference if I registered on the 1st of November vs. the 10th?

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 pm

drns wrote:Hi all,
Hi, I sent you a PM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”