2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hockeyman969

Bronze

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by hockeyman969 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm

lolabear727 wrote:Hey Ladies and Gents! I'm back for round 2!! Didn't pass Feb17, was going to take July 17 but postponed. I'm ready to do this!

I think this go round I will use Themis. I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney. I didn't take a commercial course for February. I have a set of Barbri UBE books and I used Adaptibar. I scored higher than I anticipated (although still not passing). Rather, considering the limited amount of time I had to study, I was happy with where I scored. July I used the same stuff and also purchased the OneSheets **thanks CNK1220!!**.

I postponed 3 weeks before the test.

What is everyone else doing? Anybody working full time and studying? What is your strategy?
Subtracting the Florida MCQs and adding the MPTs and having 6 essays the issue?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Hey Ladies and Gents! I'm back for round 2!! Didn't pass Feb17, was going to take July 17 but postponed. I'm ready to do this!

I think this go round I will use Themis. I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney. I didn't take a commercial course for February. I have a set of Barbri UBE books and I used Adaptibar. I scored higher than I anticipated (although still not passing). Rather, considering the limited amount of time I had to study, I was happy with where I scored. July I used the same stuff and also purchased the OneSheets **thanks CNK1220!!**.

What is everyone else doing? Anybody working full time and studying? What is your strategy?

I'm not sure what your question is?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 pm

guyindfw1 wrote:1. Get Themis books early and start with reading MBE subject outlines
2. Signup for adaptibar and start working on subjects separately.
I would get critical pass and use adaptibar and just practice essays that are available for free online

I'm likely going to have to retake given my July experience, but I wish I had just done that instead of what I did ($$$$$ a lot very unhelpful)

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:

I'm not sure what your question is?
Florida part A was drastically different from MPT and MEE, I was wondering if those were your stumbling points.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:44 am

I think it was the MEE having 6 - 30 min essays versus the 3- 1 hour. Essays were always stronger than MC for me, so I was happy there wasn't the extra MC. But my timing got away from me on a few essays and the second MPT. I had all this awesome stuff to write, I was outlining and never had time to finish my points/arguments.

It came down in the end to the facht that I just didn't study enough I don't want to say that I didn't have the time necessarily. I don't think I was focused enough and I was working a lot but on the weekends finding the strength to study was difficult and it was starting to take a toll.

I definitely need a new strategy. Like getting up early and watching lectures and doing some practice questions before work. I would wait and study at the end of the day and some days not at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

Bar prep courses will be available starting 11/6 (at least for Themis). Is anyone starting that early? I feel like I should since I will be working full time with minimal vacation available.

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 pm

lolabear727 wrote:Bar prep courses will be available starting 11/6 (at least for Themis). Is anyone starting that early? I feel like I should since I will be working full time with minimal vacation available.
I'll try to! Also working full time, no time off. @lolabear727 are you taking Themis as well?

How do we find out which test location is laptop or handwrite? Couldn't find any information anywhere.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 am

nada123 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Bar prep courses will be available starting 11/6 (at least for Themis). Is anyone starting that early? I feel like I should since I will be working full time with minimal vacation available.
I'll try to! Also working full time, no time off. @lolabear727 are you taking Themis as well?

How do we find out which test location is laptop or handwrite? Couldn't find any information anywhere.
Yep, I'm taking Themis. I took Barbri for my first bar exam (FL) I just don't want to spend that kind of money this go round. White Plains usually is handwriting only (once in state ppl get their pick.) Buffalo had both last Feb - that's where I sat for F17. I didn't retake July. I'm still in Florida so I get the crap choices for testing locations. If you are in state you should get your pick. Are you excited? Nervous? Don't know yet?..

May I also suggest adaptibar? I've used it every time I've studied for the bar. It's awesome. Worth the money. In my opinion.

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 am

lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

Yep, I'm taking Themis. I took Barbri for my first bar exam (FL) I just don't want to spend that kind of money this go round. White Plains usually is handwriting only (once in state ppl get their pick.) Buffalo had both last Feb - that's where I sat for F17. I didn't retake July. I'm still in Florida so I get the crap choices for testing locations. If you are in state you should get your pick. Are you excited? Nervous? Don't know yet?..

May I also suggest adaptibar? I've used it every time I've studied for the bar. It's awesome. Worth the money. In my opinion.
I'm also out of state (foreign actually) so will probably end up with Albany or Buffalo. How was your experience of Buffalo? Would you take it there again this time? Heard about the snow and how cold it gets there!! Was it really bad?

Thanks for the tip! Was actually considering Adaptibar too so that's reassuring. Feeling nothing at the moment. I've already paid for Themis so just wondering when i'll get my books! How about you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:49 am

I will be offering tutoring over Skype/in person and essay review for the February exam. I tutored for several companies, including Barbri for the July test and my students had a great deal of success (still waiting for NY results).

ajmb241

New

Post by ajmb241 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Is it possible to start the course early for free or do you have to pay? I was initially going to wait just because I saw the start date but I'm would begin early if given the opportunity. I'm in the same boat as you.

bluewin888

New

Post by bluewin888 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 pm

November 1-30, 2017 = Application Filing Dates

bluewin888

New

Post by bluewin888 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 pm

4 full months from now till February 27-28, 2018

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IwiLLdoIt

New

Post by IwiLLdoIt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 am

UBETutoring wrote:I will be offering tutoring over Skype/in person and essay review for the February exam. I tutored for several companies, including Barbri for the July test and my students had a great deal of success (still waiting for NY results).
Did you pass ny?

IwiLLdoIt

New

Post by IwiLLdoIt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:31 am

nada123 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

Yep, I'm taking Themis. I took Barbri for my first bar exam (FL) I just don't want to spend that kind of money this go round. White Plains usually is handwriting only (once in state ppl get their pick.) Buffalo had both last Feb - that's where I sat for F17. I didn't retake July. I'm still in Florida so I get the crap choices for testing locations. If you are in state you should get your pick.

I'm also out of state (foreign actually) so will probably end up with Albany or Buffalo

(3) NEW POLICY ON SEAT ASSIGNMENTS FOR BAR EXAM

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a seat assignment. For additional information please click on Test Sites in the table of contents.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:43 am

Hey y’all! I’ll be studying while working too. In technically part-time but full-time-ish hours. Basically doing the same thing as before. I’ll add my two cents as to what I did right:

I’m typing my exam because it’s faster than organizing via hand for me. Handwriting the exam is doable but I did it once and my wrists felt terrible. MBE day didn’t go well.

It’s not too early to start studying (I technically “started” last weekend when I was panicking over results :lol: ) , especially if you’re working full time. I did some research for what to get so that I wouldn’t waste money on things I wouldn’t use.

One thing I did different this go around was trying to squeeze a minimum That’s another good thing with Adaptibar (it’s now in app form) You pretty much can do questions anywhere, on your phone. Just do something bar related, each day, for as long as you can. Even on my “off days” I could get 20 questions done and reviewed while BSing the rest of the day.

Your biggest enemy for the Feb exam is time. Make the most of it. I’ll come up with stuff as it comes to mind

chocciebiccie

New

Post by chocciebiccie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi everyone - I'll be retaking too. Just took this past July's exam and missed the past by not too much... so I guess I'll give it another go.

Will also be working full time in NY (foreign qualified lawyer), but seeing as I already took the July off to cram for the past exam, don't know how much time off to request for February.

I used Barbri for the first time, but found it really unhelpful for the actual exam. Will be using Adaptibar, but wondering what else everyone will be getting? Not sure if it's worth going another full bar prep course again (not sure it will be worth the time and the money!).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fordham_636

New

Post by fordham_636 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:52 pm

If you want someone that will give you the care, attention to detail, and compassion you deserve as a tutor, I think Silverman Bar exam tutoring is a no brainer, especially for those re-taking the exam. I was fortunate enough to pass on my first try, however, the process was full of self doubt, stress, and misery. After I did not write a word for the MPT and an entire essay, I was convinced I failed. There was no point in showing up for day two. I e-mailed both Joe Separac and Sean Silverman, asking them what I would need on the MBE to have a shot at passing. I was having a panic attack in the hotel room and desperately wanted a reply. In my time of need, Sean Silverman was the only one that responded. He told me to show up the next day and give it my all. He said if I got at least a 150 on the MBE, I would have a fighting shot. This meant the world to me, and (fortunately/unfortunately) I will never be able to re-pay him. He helped me muster the confidence and hope to even show up the next day. In the state of utter despair that I was in, I don't think I would have been able to mentally show up the next day with a shrivel of hope or focus, but for Mr. Silverman. Luckily, with his help, I showed up and got a 172 on the MBE.

This is not to take away from Separac or what he does with providing detailed calculators (which I never really could figure out :( ). I just wanted to share the story of how compassionate and kind Sean Silverman is.

smin0505

New

Post by smin0505 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi everyone! Passed NY July 2017 and I am selling my Barbri UBE July 2017/February 2018 books - the entire set. Used so some scratchwork/underlining/highlighting but overall plenty of untouched practice MBE sets, MEE's, and MPT's since I mainly used separate paper. Private message me with an offer if interested! Thanks and best of luck!

beth5

New

Post by beth5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi everyone, I took barbri but did not pass the NY bar exam for the second time. I am a foreign lawyer. Any suggestion for supplemental materials that help me to pass in February? Thanks in advance!

Dhbjn90

New

Post by Dhbjn90 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Hey guys,

I hope this post find you all well. I recently commited for Barbri for a bar review course for February 2018, but for personal reasons I'm unable to sit for the bar.

Barbri will not let me off the hook and they want me to pay the full $2700 fee for the course. I'm looking to minimize my lose. I'm willing to let someone else use my subscription for as low as $2000. I truly prefer having a fellow student enjoy the course, instead of having Barbri enriched themselves.

Also, if you know of someone, a friend that is in need for financial help, refer him to me as well, since this could be an opportunity to help those who cannot afford those ridiculous prices.

Please email me back and we can discuss the details.

David.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 am

beth5 wrote:Hi everyone, I took barbri but did not pass the NY bar exam for the second time. I am a foreign lawyer. Any suggestion for supplemental materials that help me to pass in February? Thanks in advance!
Did you use anything other than Barbri? I used leansheets and the flash cards app for iphone (can't recall what it was called, but i think it was around $60) to study on the go. Those may be helpful (though leansheets really are quite lean). You may also want to look into hiring a one on one tutor to make sure your essays are strong enough.

Good luck!

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi!

Is anyone here foreign educated and taking the bar in feb? I was wondering whos taking themis or barbri?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:53 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
When you apply, you choose whether you're typing or handwriting. If you're typing, when you choose your location, it'll tell you which site has both - as per what's available.

nada123 wrote: I'm also out of state (foreign actually) so will probably end up with Albany or Buffalo. How was your experience of Buffalo? Would you take it there again this time? Heard about the snow and how cold it gets there!! Was it really bad?
I'm coming in from out of state and I'll choose Buffalo again. There are plenty of places downtown, and hotels outside of have shuttles to take you to the center and back. I live in the Midwest, and with Buffalo having the same weather, I can assure you that we don't shut down unless there's literally 2 ft (60ish cm) of snow - and even then, that just means things are delayed for a few hours. You're fine :lol:

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:48 am

Hey there guys!

Do we still need to send our handwriting sample even if we want to type in the exam?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”