2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lolabear727

Bronze

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

b290 wrote:JD Advising's essays predictions were spot on - they've been getting them close for the last few exams (all 6 for July, 5 out of 6 for Feb 2017). It was great to know I wasn't wasting time really studying for...Family Law, knowing it wasn't going to be on the exam. The only caveat's that with a frequency chart (also on the blog), you can pretty much narrow it down to 8-10 subjects you must study for the exam. You still have to do your due diligence and at least "review" the other 5-8 subjects.

I got the One Sheets. They go over the topics that have been tested over the last decade, also by frequency (by exam), and even a note on what happens as per issue. Towards the exam, I ditch anything over 2 pages (per subject) and that's more for recall than "I have no idea what's going on". I LOVED them.

Samples:
http://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/wp ... mple-1.jpg
http://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/wp ... mple-2.jpg

I don't work for them, nor do I receive compensation for recommending - just to put that out there :lol:
I bought the One sheets for July 2017 and then didn't retake. I was thinking about redoing my personal outlines that I've used for other bar exams. Not sure if that is a waste of time. I know that the One Sheets have wonderful information but I feel like when my brain is studying for MBE that I perfer a more elemental type of approach when reviewing an outline. The One Sheet outlines are more in paragraph format but with color coded highlights. I feel like that is more for when my mind is in essay study mode. Weird?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 am

lolabear727 wrote:I bought the One sheets for July 2017 and then didn't retake. I was thinking about redoing my personal outlines that I've used for other bar exams. Not sure if that is a waste of time. I know that the One Sheets have wonderful information but I feel like when my brain is studying for MBE that I perfer a more elemental type of approach when reviewing an outline. The One Sheet outlines are more in paragraph format but with color coded highlights. I feel like that is more for when my mind is in essay study mode. Weird?
Not weird :lol: That’s how I used them. I definitely recommend writing them out - especially now (as opposed to January). I think when I did that, I used my Themis FROs as they’re quick and straight to the point.

My $.02
Last edited by b290 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:10 pm

For those who haven’t applied yet:

I called the BOLE this morning because I had an address change question, instead I got some huge updates:

1. The Board has dropped all site assignment preferences. So if you want to write in NYC, it doesn’t matter where you live (or where you went to school) anymore - everyone is unassigned. What’s available to you depends wholly on when you answer your site selection email.

2. Your residence address now only determines your Character & Fitness Department. Keep in mind, it also determines where you get sworn in.

3. You can now change your address online. So if you do get a job/ a different address in the interim, the process is much easier.

As for those Departments:
https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad4/ima ... ocamap.jpg

Where’s your swear-in ceremony?

1st Department (Manhattan, Bronx) - Manhattan
2nd Department (Brooklyn, Queens, SI, Long Island, Upstate NY to Duchess County) - Brooklyn
4th Department (Western NY) - Buffalo
3rd Department (everything else) - Albany

Effectively, your exam application largely determines where you send your stuff to (after the exam) and where you’re being sworn in.

My $.02

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 pm

b290 wrote:For those who haven’t applied yet:

I called the BOLE this morning because I had an address change question, instead I got some huge updates:

1. The Board has dropped all site assignment preferences. So if you want to write in NYC, it doesn’t matter where you live (or where you went to school) anymore - everyone is unassigned. What’s available to you depends wholly on when you answer your site selection email.

2. Your residence address now only determines your Character & Fitness Department. Keep in mind, it also determines where you get sworn in.

3. You can now change your address online. So if you do get a job/ a different address in the interim, the process is much easier.

2nd Department (Brooklyn, Queens, SI, Long Island, Upstate NY to Duchess County) - Brooklyn

Effectively, your exam application largely determines where you send your stuff to (after the exam) and where you’re being sworn in.

My $.02
Whoa?!? So everyone is unassigned and given no preference??

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:51 pm

lolabear727 wrote:

My $.02
Did I stutter? :lol: But seriously, if you want a particular place, watch your email as if you were getting your results.

I could easily see the BOLE website crashing bec of this change :lol:

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am

b290 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

My $.02
Did I stutter? :lol: But seriously, if you want a particular place, watch your email as if you were getting your results.

My $.02
As I just got comfortable with the thought of "you're not getting a NYC spot so just plan on Buffalo," you give me this wonderful news. I'm not excited about the email watching game again though. Both times I watched like a hawk. I swear, 1-2 mins after the email came... never got a NYC spot. Crazy! Thanks for the info!

skenderbeu14

New

Post by skenderbeu14 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 am

Hello everyone. Im a foreign trained lawyer, with a LLM from US, plan on sitting for the Feb 2018 NY. I am looking to pick some brains on Themis? Also, if someone has some outlines and notes to share would be great. Thank you and good luck to all the ones taking it.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

lolabear727 wrote:As I just got comfortable with the thought of "you're not getting a NYC spot so just plan on Buffalo," you give me this wonderful news. I'm not excited about the email watching game again though. Both times I watched like a hawk. I swear, 1-2 mins after the email came... never got a NYC spot. Crazy! Thanks for the info!
You’re welcome :) Just add some phone notifications & leave it to the BOLE to change it up! :lol:

NYC is waaaaayyy cheaper for me as I’ve got free room and board (plenty of family & friends) and flights bought early are inexpensive. But I don’t like the extra “distraction” that’ll entail. Decisions, decisions :lol:
skenderbeu14 wrote:Hello everyone. Im a foreign trained lawyer, with a LLM from US, plan on sitting for the Feb 2018 NY. I am looking to pick some brains on Themis?...
I found it to be good. The final review outlines are awesome and very short (usually around 10 pages if I remember). The lectures are broken down into 20 min bits, so that’s nice too. The price is great as well!

In full disclosure though, I won’t be taking it again. With my exam problem being more specific - essay timing (solvable by practice) - I don’t need it this time. But for a general program, I’d recommend it.

My $.02

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:15 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
b290 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
As I just got comfortable with the thought of "you're not getting a NYC spot so just plan on Buffalo," you give me this wonderful news. I'm not excited about the email watching game again though. Both times I watched like a hawk. I swear, 1-2 mins after the email came... never got a NYC spot. Crazy! Thanks for the info!
But for out of state people, isn't NYC worse as you'll probably need to get a hotel about 30 minutes away from the Armory by train? And the hassle of making that journey on the morning of the exam. Just a thought

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 am

nada123 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
b290 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
But for out of state people, isn't NYC worse as you'll probably need to get a hotel about 30 minutes away from the Armory by train? And the hassle of making that journey on the morning of the exam. Just a thought
When do we get the e mails?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:50 pm

nada123 wrote:But for out of state people, isn't NYC worse as you'll probably need to get a hotel about 30 minutes away from the Armory by train? And the hassle of making that journey on the morning of the exam. Just a thought
The amount of ways to get around in the NYC area is endless. Trains run 24 hours, and the subways run every 5-15 minutes (also mostly the same applies for PATH). You can even take a different train that goes close by and walk the distance. Between Uber, cabs, etc, and all the other transit apps (that really apply mainly to places like NYC), you’ll get there. Some arrive super early (like 6am), which is unnecessary but is an option.

None of the above applies to driving in yourself, which in that case...just don’t. No other place in the country works like this.

The bigger problem for out-of-state people is where to stay. Just going in blind can be much more expensive.

My $.02
Last edited by b290 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Banana1 wrote:When do we get the e mails?
See below - asked and answered (you should know this from Evidence :lol: )
Banana1 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote: Thank you so much! and we get to choose the locations when ? sorry Im new to this :D
No need to apologize! The whole thing can be intimidating; the less stress, the better haha :lol:

Right now the app deadline (for retakers) is November 30, so nothing’s happening until December 1 at the earliest.

Early-mid December: you’ll get an email telling you that you need to pay ExamSoft the software fee (by credit card; the site says no debit cards but I used my bank card and had no problem).

After paying the fee, ExamSoft will send you an email telling you how to download & install the software on your computer. You have to download the exam answer docs and a mock exam (you just type something into each question) which you’ll send back to ExamSoft. At this point, you’ve secured the option to choose a typing site.

Note, it can be revoked if you’re not set up before the site selection email goes out (and you’ve effectively wasted $100). Also, make sure that the computer you install it on is the one you’ll use on exam day. It’ll be another $50 if you change your mind, or if something happens to it. Double check to make sure that your computer, and its operating system, supports ExamSoft (up to Windows 10 (PC) or Sierra (Mac) ) otherwise you’ll have to find another computer and pay another $50.

Around mid-January : You should expect the email for selecting your site. You’ll be taken to the NY Bar Exam website, given your options, and you choose. After that, you’ve secured where, and how, you’re taking the exam. Barring something really spectacular (terrorist attack, cheating, etc.), that’s not changing.

My $.02
THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!
My $.02

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm

b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote:When do we get the e mails?
See below - asked and answered (you should know this from Evidence :lol: )
Banana1 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Banana1 wrote: Thank you so much! and we get to choose the locations when ? sorry Im new to this :D
No need to apologize! The whole thing can be intimidating; the less stress, the better haha :lol:

Right now the app deadline (for retakers) is November 30, so nothing’s happening until December 1 at the earliest.

Early-mid December: you’ll get an email telling you that you need to pay ExamSoft the software fee (by credit card; the site says no debit cards but I used my bank card and had no problem).

After paying the fee, ExamSoft will send you an email telling you how to download & install the software on your computer. You have to download the exam answer docs and a mock exam (you just type something into each question) which you’ll send back to ExamSoft. At this point, you’ve secured the option to choose a typing site.

Note, it can be revoked if you’re not set up before the site selection email goes out (and you’ve effectively wasted $100). Also, make sure that the computer you install it on is the one you’ll use on exam day. It’ll be another $50 if you change your mind, or if something happens to it. Double check to make sure that your computer, and its operating system, supports ExamSoft (up to Windows 10 (PC) or Sierra (Mac) ) otherwise you’ll have to find another computer and pay another $50.

Around mid-January : You should expect the email for selecting your site. You’ll be taken to the NY Bar Exam website, given your options, and you choose. After that, you’ve secured where, and how, you’re taking the exam. Barring something really spectacular (terrorist attack, cheating, etc.), that’s not changing.

My $.02
THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!
My $.02
Minor dementia here! THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH! (again)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:36 pm

b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:But for out of state people, isn't NYC worse as you'll probably need to get a hotel about 30 minutes away from the Armory by train? And the hassle of making that journey on the morning of the exam. Just a thought
The amount of ways to get around in the NYC area is endless. Trains run 24 hours, and the subways run every 5-15 minutes (also mostly the the same applies for PATH). You can even take a different train that goes close by and walk the distance. Between Uber, cabs, etc, and all the other transit apps (that really apply mainly to places like NYC), you’ll get there. Some arrive super early (like 6am), which is unnecessary but is an option.

None of the above applies to driving in yourself, which in that case...just don’t. No other place in the country works like this.

The bigger problem for out-of-state people is where to stay. Just going in blind can be much more expensive.

My $.02
I'm an out of state person, any suggestions on where to stay? I was thinking somewhere close to the subway stations that have direct trains to the Armory??

ecafracs

New

Post by ecafracs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Is anyone signed up for NYC Barbri?

I am wondering if the NLYS location or the Barbri Lecture Hall is better?

Also, any thoughts on test locations? The armory is extremely far from me, and I don't see many hotel options.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:34 pm

ecafracs wrote:...any thoughts on test locations? The armory is extremely far from me, and I don't see many hotel options.
Define “extremely far.” Where are you? The Armory is right by the GW and I-95 (and connectors). Unless you’re nearer to White Plains, Buffalo and Albany are your only options.

The Armory’s in Washington Heights. It’s right by NY Presbyterian Hospital, so parking’s extremely hard to come by - which is generally the case in NYC.
nada123 wrote:I'm an out of state person, any suggestions on where to stay? I was thinking somewhere close to the subway stations that have direct trains to the Armory??
Your thinking’s right. I’d personally AirBnB it. For that time of year, if you’re flying in as of Monday morning, you can get it for Mon-Wed for about $350 (for all 3 days) now, which is reasonable for NYC.

The trains which you need to get/transfer to are the A/C or the 1 lines. You can transfer to either line @ Times Square (although xfer to the A/C there can be a longer walk - 7-10 mins, in station). Also, the A/C lines run on 8th Avenue, while the 1 runs on 7th Ave. All of those are on the West Side of Manhattan.

If none of the above makes any sense to you, refer to the page below (the Armory is on 168 St):

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

My $.02

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 pm

As hinted by the above, the BOLE has released Feb 2018 test sites online (copied from its website):

NEW YORK CITY: Armory Track & Field Center
216 Fort Washington Avenue, New York, NY 10032

WHITE PLAINS: Pace Law School / New York State Judicial Institute
78 North Broadway, White Plains, NY 10603

BUFFALO: Buffalo-Niagara Convention Center
153 Franklin Street, Buffalo, NY 14202

ALBANY: Empire State Plaza Convention Hall
Concourse Level, Albany, NY 12242

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Holy Bullshit. I just got an email from NYLC saying there were "irregularities" from my NYLC videos and that I used a program to speed up the player. Which is total bullshit because I would have no idea how to do that even if I wanted to, and now I have to watch ALL THE VIDEOS AGAIN over Thanksgiving (can't start yet, have to wait for their green light next week. This is so shitty on many levels: first, that they think I would cheat at something so dumb yet arguing that I didn't do it risks holding up my score/getting cited for misconduct (!!); and second, that I now have to watch all those videos AGAIN.
/venting

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 pm

bretby wrote:Holy Bullshit. I just got an email from NYLC saying there were "irregularities" from my NYLC videos and that I used a program to speed up the player. Which is total bullshit because I would have no idea how to do that even if I wanted to, and now I have to watch ALL THE VIDEOS AGAIN over Thanksgiving (can't start yet, have to wait for their green light next week. This is so shitty on many levels: first, that they think I would cheat at something so dumb yet arguing that I didn't do it risks holding up my score/getting cited for misconduct (!!); and second, that I now have to watch all those videos AGAIN.
/venting
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! from the BOLE :lol:

Seriously, take a day and just plow through them all. When is the deadline?

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 pm

b290 wrote:
bretby wrote:Holy Bullshit. I just got an email from NYLC saying there were "irregularities" from my NYLC videos and that I used a program to speed up the player. Which is total bullshit because I would have no idea how to do that even if I wanted to, and now I have to watch ALL THE VIDEOS AGAIN over Thanksgiving (can't start yet, have to wait for their green light next week. This is so shitty on many levels: first, that they think I would cheat at something so dumb yet arguing that I didn't do it risks holding up my score/getting cited for misconduct (!!); and second, that I now have to watch all those videos AGAIN.
/venting
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! from the BOLE :lol:

Seriously, take a day and just plow through them all. When is the deadline?

Haha Happy Thanksgiving indeed!
I think I need to have them rewatched by the 27th. I am just super annoyed to have to take a day to do it again. I have been wracking my brains to try and figure out why my test was flagged and the only thing I can think is that my computer kept freezing during the videos, but if anything that meant I had to watch MORE of them, not less.

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:54 am

Does anyone think its necessary to supplement Themis with Adaptibar or Emannuels?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm

For go-getters that've started their essay prep :lol: , and those that didn't know, the BOLE uploads past essay questions (and sample answers) for your perusal

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions ... stions.htm

For those who want the PDFs straight:
Feb 2017 - https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/FEB2017QA.pdf
Jul 2016 - https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/JULY2016QA.pdf

Note: Pre-July 2016 exams are NOT UBE exams (i.e. the old NY format & subjects). Still useful for the MPT (albeit NY used one instead of UBE 2) .
Banana1 wrote:Does anyone think its necessary to supplement Themis with Adaptibar or Emannuels?
Depends on the person, I would think. Did you get Themis as you were thinking?
lolabear727 wrote:I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney...
Curious. How different is it this time as opposed to when you studied for FL? ( I mean having passed before) I'm always curious as to how people in such position approach doing it again.

My $.02

dominic11

New

Post by dominic11 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 am

Hello, I am a foreign attorney with an LLM and this is my 3rd time taking the bar. I freaking out because I am full time paralegal for 4 attorneys and the only time I have to study is during the night and weekends.
I cannot afford to pay for a bar course but I need more Civil Procedure questions to practice.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 am

b290 wrote:For go-getters that've started their essay prep :lol: , and those that didn't know, the BOLE uploads past essay questions (and sample answers) for your perusal

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions ... stions.htm

For those who want the PDFs straight:
Feb 2017 - https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/FEB2017QA.pdf
Jul 2016 - https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/JULY2016QA.pdf

Note: Pre-July 2016 exams are NOT UBE exams (i.e. the old NY format & subjects). Still useful for the MPT (albeit NY used one instead of UBE 2) .
Banana1 wrote:Does anyone think its necessary to supplement Themis with Adaptibar or Emannuels?
Depends on the person, I would think. Did you get Themis as you were thinking?
lolabear727 wrote:I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney...
Curious. How different is it this time as opposed to when you studied for FL? ( I mean having passed before) I'm always curious as to how people in such position approach doing it again.

My $.02
I'm taking the test again because my boyfriend lives in NY. We met in law school and then he moved back to NY, we later began our relationship and it was either he take FL or I take NY. Since he was and still is making more than I am, I decided to take NY. He will be taking FL once we are settled. Just in case we ever decide later to move to/back to FL.

As far as it being different, obviously MBE is exactly the same I will be using Adaptibar again. FL has their section of MC questions which would take place of the MPT technically. So that was completely different for me by way of studying. However, I completely winged the MPT on Feb17 and didn't do too terrible. As long as you've ever worked in a law firm prior to taking the test, you should be able to manage your time and get a decent score that is still only worth 20%.. The essays I think were the biggest struggle for me, where as with FL that was my biggest strength. FL has 3 1 hour essays. So time management on those and wanting to write EVERYTHING I knew was just not a good thing. I need to just write exactly what they are asking me specifically and MOVE ON. One essay I only gave myself 15 mins. I made sure to write something for every single essay but the time definitely hurt me.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm

/venting
This sounds awful. Is there any room to argue your case, or did they just say "do this or gtfo"? It sounds like they're essentially robbing you of like 20+ hours of your free time (I can't recall how long the videos were), which is bullshit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”