2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nada123

New

2018 February New York Bar

Post by nada123 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 am

Hi!

Any takers for NY Feb 2018?

Got a few questions for early starters/people working full time/foreign lawyers/past exam takers or a combination of those

1. Is it too early to buy resources like critical pass flashcards or lean sheets etc? (any chance they would be updated between now and Feb?)
2. The Themis program doesn't start until November - how are people preparing in the meantime?

Please share any other tips and what you're doing in the lead up to the exam :)

guyindfw1

New

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by guyindfw1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 am

1. Get Themis books early and start with reading MBE subject outlines
2. Signup for adaptibar and start working on subjects separately.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 am

Former exam taker here (July 2016).

You probably want to hold off on buying lean sheets, at least. Not because they're going to be modified in some substantive way, but because they're so succinct that you want to make sure you know the law at least somewhat well before you start using them. (e.g. you won't find it useful to have a section that just says "ATTACHMENT = VALUE/RIGHTS/AUTHENTICATION" when you don't know what attachment in the world of secured transactions means).

Happy to answer any other questions about the exam and logistical stuff/the application process generally.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 am

nada123 wrote:Hi!

Got a few questions for early starters/people working full time/foreign lawyers/past exam takers or a combination of those

1. Is it too early to buy resources like critical pass flashcards or lean sheets etc? (any chance they would be updated between now and Feb?)
2. The Themis program doesn't start until November - how are people preparing in the meantime?

Kaplan opens a month before, I'm not sure when The is opens their course. My advice is to hammer through the course and condense your outlines as much as possible. I worked full time and studied for Florida, but I did survive the UBE and was a night student in law school....know the pain buddy.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 pm

It may be too early to purchase the materials from your intended bar review company but you can get a hold of some used books. What makes bar prep so difficult is the amount of time allotted to learn the material. There is too much law to learn in the average time period allotted to learn it. If you get a hold of a recent book and begin to learn the MBE subjects you'll be setting yourself up for a less daunting experience for sure.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for the tips so far everyone!

guyindfw1 wrote:1. Get Themis books early and start with reading MBE subject outlines
2. Signup for adaptibar and start working on subjects separately.
Sounds great but where can i get Themis books or MBE subject outlines?

If i don't know the black letter law, would i still be able to start on adaptibar?

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 am

If you are a foreign attorney from a civil law country, I strongly recommend Kaplan LLM. It opens right away once you sign up, and it helps you with all the subjects that you've never touched before. I don't know if I passed yet, but I do know that without it I wouldn't have been able to grasp the black letter law later on.

guyindfw1

New

Post by guyindfw1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:33 pm

nada123 wrote:

If i don't know the black letter law, would i still be able to start on adaptibar?
sent you a PM, I can email you outlines and other resources I have.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 am

guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

Can I get the resources too? I'm taking the NY Bar in Feb and am planning on studying early since I'm working full time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guyindfw1

New

Post by guyindfw1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 am

sdphill wrote:
Can I get the resources too? I'm taking the NY Bar in Feb and am planning on studying early since I'm working full time.
send me an email at guyingta@gmail.com and I will send the outlines.

bluewin888

New

Post by bluewin888 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 am

where is the location for NYC feb bar exam?

Chaucer1343

Bronze

Post by Chaucer1343 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:51 am

I took the bar and passed in another jurisdiction on the first go (non-UBE). I'm thinking about taking the NY Bar now (although not motivated at all/working full-time/over-time all-the-time).

Does anyone know if Themis has an alumni discount (I saw that Barbri does)?

Otherwise, I guess I will do adaptibar and get some recent outlines. My strategy would be to hit up the MBE (outlines/questions) hard and early.

Hate bar prep... but hoping since this is the second time around, it will not be as torturous.

anabasis

New

Post by anabasis » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Themis does have a $500 alumni discount. I think it is off sticker ($1,995 for UBE states) so it really ends up being close to what you probably paid the first time, assuming you got any of the typical early signup discounts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:43 am

Got some stupid questions, but just want to make sure (foreign lawyer, so i'm new to this):

If i want to buy MBE outlines, they should be the same for all states right? E.g. If i get it from someone that did the california exam.

Also, i've seen Barbri, themis etc books around - what's in the books exactly? They look quite thick. Are the contents in the books different to the outlines?

Thanks!!

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Are MacBooks with touch bars still banned? I am having trouble finding a hard answer one way or another.

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 am

I don't know I did the Kaplan LLM as a foreign attorney and I felt when May came I was really under prepared. But it could be me.

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:12 am

nada123 wrote:Got some stupid questions, but just want to make sure (foreign lawyer, so i'm new to this):

If i want to buy MBE outlines, they should be the same for all states right? E.g. If i get it from someone that did the california exam.

Also, i've seen Barbri, themis etc books around - what's in the books exactly? They look quite thick. Are the contents in the books different to the outlines?

Thanks!!
I can recommend SmartBarPrep to help give a brief overview of the rules. Sometimes there are too many exceptions you lose the tree in the forest. As a UK law grad I was focused too much on MBE and MBE is too much about the nuances so when I started prepping for the MEE, I would have moments where I forgot what I knew. So, I would really find something to help build the bases from and then u can expand a month before your full on bar prep.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 am

nada123 wrote:Got some stupid questions, but just want to make sure (foreign lawyer, so i'm new to this):

Thanks!!
I can recommend SmartBarPrep to help give a brief overview of the rules. Sometimes there are too many exceptions you lose the tree in the forest. As a UK law grad I was focused too much on MBE and MBE is too much about the nuances so when I started prepping for the MEE, I would have moments where I forgot what I knew. So, I would really find something to help build the bases from and then u can expand a month before your full on bar prep.

Chaucer1343

Bronze

Post by Chaucer1343 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 am

anabasis wrote:Themis does have a $500 alumni discount. I think it is off sticker ($1,995 for UBE states) so it really ends up being close to what you probably paid the first time, assuming you got any of the typical early signup discounts.
good to know, thanks!

aj102010

New

Post by aj102010 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Critical Pass MBE Flashcards are great to supplement studying for BarBri or Kaplan on the MBE. Amazing for learning the black letter law required to answer just about any essay and MBE question! Here is a link to a 10$ Discount http://criticalpass.refr.cc/2017JULYBAR

elmar

New

Post by elmar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:47 pm

I feel like this is a simple question, but some researching really hasn't yielded an answer. I'm trying to find out if, now that NY is a UBE state, and the additional NY test component is online, is it possible to take the UBE in a different state (DC in my case) and never have to go through the inconvenience of going up to NY to take the test? Graduating student here, not barred elsewhere.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm

elmar wrote:I feel like this is a simple question, but some researching really hasn't yielded an answer. I'm trying to find out if, now that NY is a UBE state, and the additional NY test component is online, is it possible to take the UBE in a different state (DC in my case) and never have to go through the inconvenience of going up to NY to take the test? Graduating student here, not barred elsewhere.

Yes as long as you get the passing score of 266 after you get your score- you can transfer it to NY through NCBE's score services and register for the NYLC/NYLE portion online and complete that. You will eventually have to go up to NY though for your C&F interview/swearing in but not for the actual test as I believe DC and NY both require a 266. (I did this with NJ- transferred my UBE score from NY to NJ).

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey Ladies and Gents! I'm back for round 2!! Didn't pass Feb17, was going to take July 17 but postponed. I'm ready to do this!

I think this go round I will use Themis. I'm barred in Florida and I'm a full time litigation attorney. I didn't take a commercial course for February. I have a set of Barbri UBE books and I used Adaptibar. I scored higher than I anticipated (although still not passing). Rather, considering the limited amount of time I had to study, I was happy with where I scored. July I used the same stuff and also purchased the OneSheets **thanks CNK1220!!**.

I postponed 3 weeks before the test.

What is everyone else doing? Anybody working full time and studying? What is your strategy?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey Nada123! I'm working full time as well. I took and failed Feb 2017 (didn't fail by much) but I was working full time as well. I think this time I will take a commercial course (Themis). I'm not shelling the money out for Barbri like I did to pass Florida. Also, I hear the methodology for Themis is shorter lectures and reiteration on topics. I'm thinking I need to pay before it goes up from $1495 on 10/1. I also have the Emmanuel Strategies and tactics (b/c it was highly recommended), I used Adaptibar and I purchased the Onesheets as recommended highly by CNK1220! :wink:

I postponed July 2017 because my work schedule was getting too hectic with trials and hearings the month of July I knew I wasn't going to be able to take time off or even use weekends to study at that point.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm

sdphill wrote:
guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

Same here! 3 of us so far! I'm glad i'm not alone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”