2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
blackpanther

New

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by blackpanther » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 pm

I was just comparing the two letters I got from BOLE (I failed the July 2017 exam and just passed the February 2018 exam), and I noticed something that I don't think anyone else has commented on, but that might be useful for future examiners who, like me, can't bear to read the actual BOLE leter, but also can't figure out file sizes, just want to open the PDF straight away, etc. If you passed the exam, there should be a heading (next to the date and above your home address) that reads "NOTICE OF CERTIFICATION." If there's no heading, then, unfortunately, I think it means you didn't pass.

Can anyone else confirm?

blackpanther

New

Post by blackpanther » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 pm

I was just comparing the two letters I received from BOLE (I failed in July but passed this time around), and noticed something that I don't think anyone else has commented on. For future test takers who, like me, can't bear to read the full notice letter, there's another way of figuring out your results (aside from referencing the file size): If you passed, then there should be heading at the top of the letter (next to the date and above your home address) that reads "NOTICE OF CERTIFICATION." If there's no heading, then, unfortunately, it means you didn't pass.

Can anyone confirm this?

Triforcer

New

Post by Triforcer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 pm

9 year practitioner here- practice overseas and my firm wanted me to pick up NY (currently only qualified in my small midwestern state).

Got a 321 (165.3 MBE) with 2-3 hours a night, 3-4 nights a week of practice for two months (with BARBRI materialsw). Never did practice MBE questions or essays, just drilled the BARBRI outlines. Glad to be done!

LLJ1325

New

Post by LLJ1325 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
LLJ1325 wrote:Joe - curious as to how you figure out a score breakdown. I got a total of 304 with a 146 MBE. Any idea what that would put my MEE/MPT scoring around?
What was your exact MBE score (including the decimal place)? I ask because this helps me figure out the MBE scaling.
MBE was a 146.0

Nybartaker

New

Post by Nybartaker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Joe, I am also interested to read your analysis if you have the time. My total UBE score is 317. MBE is 146.8. I am a first-time foreign test taker; studied from mid-December while working full-time. I did about 2000 MBE questions using Barbri / S&T, averaging around 60% - 70% depending on the subject. I wrote out 1-2 essays per topic and outlined / read through the remaining Barbri essays. Also did about 2 MPT practice tests. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Congrats to everyone who passed and my heart is with those who failed this go around. There really isn't anything that will make you immediately feel better except maybe to remember that people are struggling with even worse things --- such as chronic illnesses and other hardships. Just know you're not less than anyone else.

I transferred my UBE score to the Third Department previously, but my boyfriend just passed NY and is certified to the Second Department. Does anyone know when the Second Department sends an email to applicants with the user name and password to do the Orientation to the Profession videos? The instructions made it sound like you get an email even before results come out but he hasn't and wants to get his package submitted ASAP. Thanks.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Amylaw wrote:
kc128 wrote:4th time taker here, finally passed NY w/ a 297.

If you did not receive the news you were hoping for this afternoon, I am SO sorry. It's literally the worst feeling in the world. I raised my UBE from a 235 to a 297 and I promise that you can too. The PM feature is disabled so unfortunately, there's no way to direct message, but please, pleaseeee deviate from traditional bar prep schedules and study the way you know how. Do as many released NCBE questions as possible. The Emmanuel S&T book & the large Kaplan book are the shit.

Best of luck to you all. And fellow counselors, YAY CONGRATS!! WE DID IT!!
Congrats !!!! What was the size of your attachment ???
Thank you! 23 KB

d93saurus

New

Post by d93saurus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Joe - could you please help me figure out my percentile ranking? I scored 327 overall and a scaled MBE of 174.2.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Willierhule wrote:

If you did not receive the news you were hoping for this afternoon, I am SO sorry. It's literally the worst feeling in the world. I raised my UBE from a 235 to a 297 and I promise that you can too. The PM feature is disabled so unfortunately, there's no way to direct message, but please, pleaseeee deviate from traditional bar prep schedules and study the way you know how. Do as many released NCBE questions as possible. The Emmanuel S&T book & the large Kaplan book are the shit.

I failed by 3 and its just so frustrating. Is the large Kaplan book the red one? I need help with improving my MBE scores, which gets me every time.
Ugh, I am so sorry you're going through this again. I got the purple Kaplan book on Amazon. The new edition may be red, I'm not sure. It's basically their giant practice MBE book. The questions are hard, but similar to real MBE questions. I'd also recommend getting your hands on some of the released NCBE exams. The questions are shorter than more recent MBE ?s, but similar patterns. Also, the Emmanuel book is great.

Someone previously posted (& its totally true), the MBE is like chess and there's a way to beat it. Definitely spend time figuring out your most heavily tested topics. For example, 50% of torts MBE ?s are on negligence, a good % of property are on mortgages, etc. That way you're able to narrow down what to study the most of b/c you'll never know/remember every rule.

I hope this is helpful; I totally get where you're at. Don't give up, you're so close! If I can give you any additional insight, please lmk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Willierhule wrote:

I failed by 3 and its just so frustrating. Is the large Kaplan book the red one? I need help with improving my MBE scores, which gets me every time.
The one with the blue cover. It has about 1750 questions. It was great. You don't need to buy the new version, the 2016/17 version is essentionlly the same with 2018 version.
'

onionhead

New

Post by onionhead » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi Joe, I took the test in New York and scored 300 overall and 140.5 on my MBE. Can you give me some stats pls? Thanks!

Willierhule

New

Post by Willierhule » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:15 am

stephcurry30 wrote:
Willierhule wrote:

Hi. Have you ever used Adaptibar before? I took the California Bar Exam in July and the NY Bar Exam this passed February and passed both, and found that using Adaptibar in combination with my bar prep course really helped, especially with the MBE. If you find that your MBE scores are what are hurting you, and you're generally good with your essays and MPT, perhaps it would be worth it to look into Adaptibar this time around? I started by doing about 10 questions a day and then ramped it up to around 80-100 questions a day in my final few weeks and felt that it helped.

Keep your head up! If you only needed 3 points, you clearly are right there. Best of luck, and hope you crush July by 30 points!
Thank you so much for your help and I will definitely invest in AdptiBar.

nybartony

New

Post by nybartony » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:35 am

Nybartaker wrote:Joe, I am also interested to read your analysis if you have the time. My total UBE score is 317. MBE is 146.8. I am a first-time foreign test taker; studied from mid-December while working full-time. I did about 2000 MBE questions using Barbri / S&T, averaging around 60% - 70% depending on the subject. I wrote out 1-2 essays per topic and outlined / read through the remaining Barbri essays. Also did about 2 MPT practice tests. Thank you!
That's an impressive score for a foreign taker. Have you done any American law LLM?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onionhead

New

Post by onionhead » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:35 am

blackpanther wrote:I was just comparing the two letters I received from BOLE (I failed in July but passed this time around), and noticed something that I don't think anyone else has commented on. For future test takers who, like me, can't bear to read the full notice letter, there's another way of figuring out your results (aside from referencing the file size): If you passed, then there should be heading at the top of the letter (next to the date and above your home address) that reads "NOTICE OF CERTIFICATION." If there's no heading, then, unfortunately, it means you didn't pass.

Can anyone confirm this?
I passed but have not completed the other requirements. My heading reads "PASSED NOT CERTIFIED NOTICE"

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 am

onionhead wrote:
blackpanther wrote:I was just comparing the two letters I received from BOLE (I failed in July but passed this time around), and noticed something that I don't think anyone else has commented on. For future test takers who, like me, can't bear to read the full notice letter, there's another way of figuring out your results (aside from referencing the file size): If you passed, then there should be heading at the top of the letter (next to the date and above your home address) that reads "NOTICE OF CERTIFICATION." If there's no heading, then, unfortunately, it means you didn't pass.

Can anyone confirm this?
I passed but have not completed the other requirements. My heading reads "PASSED NOT CERTIFIED NOTICE"
I got the same.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:19 am

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for private tutoring in NYC? Unfortunately, i didnt pass and I am not going through this a third time. Thanks

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 am

LLJ1325 wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
LLJ1325 wrote:Joe - curious as to how you figure out a score breakdown. I got a total of 304 with a 146 MBE. Any idea what that would put my MEE/MPT scoring around?
What was your exact MBE score (including the decimal place)? I ask because this helps me figure out the MBE scaling.
MBE was a 146.0
Thanks. Based on your scaled MBE score of 146, your estimated raw MBE score was about 123/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time an MBE raw/scaled conversion was released). This means you answered about 70% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 74.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 25.1% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 146. Based on a total score of 304, this means your written score was 158. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 158 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 96.2% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 3.8% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Did you think you did well on the written when you took the exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 am

Nybartaker wrote:Joe, I am also interested to read your analysis if you have the time. My total UBE score is 317. MBE is 146.8. I am a first-time foreign test taker; studied from mid-December while working full-time. I did about 2000 MBE questions using Barbri / S&T, averaging around 60% - 70% depending on the subject. I wrote out 1-2 essays per topic and outlined / read through the remaining Barbri essays. Also did about 2 MPT practice tests. Thank you!
I agree that's a very impressive score for a foreign examinee. Are you Australian?

Based on your scaled MBE score of 146.8, your estimated raw MBE score was about 124/175 correct. This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 76% percentile for the MBE. This means that 24% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 146.8. Based on a total score of 317, this means your written score was 170.2. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 170.2 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 99.4% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0.6% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Did you think you did well on the written when you took the exam?

njnytaker2018

New

Post by njnytaker2018 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 am

Hi Joe-

Is your 2018 chart completed? I did complete your form yesterday but if I send you an email with all of my scores would you be able to give me a breakdown like those above? Also I would like help with calculating my written score because no matter how I calculate it I can’t get close to their number. Thanks.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am

d93saurus wrote:Hi Joe - could you please help me figure out my percentile ranking? I scored 327 overall and a scaled MBE of 174.2.
Based on your scaled MBE score of 174.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 159/175 correct. This means you answered about 91% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 99.6% percentile for the MBE. This means that 0.4% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 174.2. Based on a total score of 327, this means your written score was 152.8. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 152.8 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 92.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 7.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Excellent job!

How did you study for the MBE and what was your % correct in MBE practice?

irishguy

New

Post by irishguy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 am

Took the NY bar exam in Feb 2018 based on an Irish law degree. Absolutely delighted to have passed!

If you are struggling with the MBE portion, get Emanuel Strategies and Tactics for the MBE. Real MBE questions and in depth strategies and answer explanations. I credit this book to my passing. No less than 5 questions on the Feb 2018 MBE were almost word for word questions I had done in the book. It appears the NCBE doesn't try to reinvent the wheel with its questions; they just change the tires.

@JoeSeperac: If you have time, could I get one of those score reports? I got 284 overall, and 148.5 scaled on the MBE.

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:49 am

irishguy wrote:Took the NY bar exam in Feb 2018 based on an Irish law degree. Absolutely delighted to have passed!

If you are struggling with the MBE portion, get Emanuel Strategies and Tactics for the MBE. Real MBE questions and in depth strategies and answer explanations. I credit this book to my passing. No less than 5 questions on the Feb 2018 MBE were almost word for word questions I had done in the book. It appears the NCBE doesn't try to reinvent the wheel with its questions; they just change the tires.

@JoeSeperac: If you have time, could I get one of those score reports? I got 284 overall, and 148.5 scaled on the MBE.

Thanks!
Great job on passing. The 2013 NY bar exam pass rate for candidates from Ireland was 35.6%. see http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

Based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time a February MBE raw/scaled conversion was released by a state). This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (this year's statistics will not be released until next year), this places you in the 82.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 17.6% of last year's examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5.

Based on a total score of 284, this means your written score was 135.5. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 135.5 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 52.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 47.5% of last year's examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Congratulations again - passing as an Irish candidate is no easy task.

Clayton100

New

Post by Clayton100 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

Congrats to everyone who passed and good luck to everyone trying again. I am a first time taker whose total score was 326 and MBE scaled score was 165.3. @joeseperac I would also love a score breakdown if you have the time.

I completed 100% of Barbri and made sure to really understand why I got questions wrong so that I didn't make the same mistakes. By the last 2 weeks I really knew what I had to work on, which made me scores jump significantly.

Clayton100

New

Post by Clayton100 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 am

Congrats to those who passed and good luck to everyone who will be trying again! @JoeSeperac I would love to learn my percentile as well if you have time.

I am a first time taker whose total score was 326 and MBE scaled score was 165.3. I completed 100% of Barbri and made sure to understand exactly why I got all MBE questions wrong so that I didn't make the same mistakes multiple times.

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 am

@JoeSeperac

Hi Joe, could you also help me with the score breakdown/analysis please?

I got 273 overall, 139.7 MBE. I'm a first time foreign taker. I know i wasn't very good at the MBE questions, interested to know if the MEE portion pulled me through. I stuffed up 1 of the MPT questions for sure.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”