2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Yazzzay

Bronze

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:18 pm

ecafracs wrote:May I ask where you guys are getting your score breakdowns? The email included my total/MBE score, but didn't include anything about MEE or MPT.
We don't get the breakdown of MEE/MPT but I assumed I just subtract my MBE from the total to get my MEE/MPT...?

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

b290 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:PASSED and no actual clue how but NOT GOING TO QUESITION IT :D :D :D

141 MBE, 171 MEE/MPT and 312 overall. In total shock. I actually had my parents open the email because I couldn't.

The last 7 months have been a whirlwind of emotions so I'm on cloud 9.

Congrats to everyone who passed!

To all those who missed the mark, I feel for you, and I have faith that you can still beat this test. Take today and tomorrow to mourn however you need to, and wake up ready to start planning later this week. I wish PM still existed on here but I'd be happy to help out any retakers in any way I can. I bar prepped at my law school lib the first time and this second time abroad at home, flew into NY for the test. Just know you CAN do it!!
+1

Well done counselor! :D

My $.02
Thank you!!

njnytaker2018

New

Post by njnytaker2018 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Someone please post a formula because it doesn't seem to add up no matter what I do. Here is what they provided:

"Written Question Scores: The scaled score for each of the six MEE questions and two MPT questions are arrived at by converting the raw score for each question to a scale that generally ranges from approximately 20 to 80, with 50 as the mean. The candidate's MEE scores are totaled and divided by six, the MPT scores are totaled and divided by two and the resultant scores are added together to arrive at the average scale score for the written section. In computing the average scale score the MEE is weighed 60% and the MPT is weighted 40%. That average is then converted to a score distribution that is coparable to that to the MBE. The resulting figure is the candidate's total written score."

I'm begging someone who is good with math to produce a formula that I can use. I've tried several methods and cannot get my written score. THank you!

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Passed by 46 points. Thought I was doomed for the last two months. What a relief.

To everyone on this forum who replied to various questions I posted along the way, thank you so much. It was incredibly helpful to have a sounding board of people here I could ask for various questions.

To those who did not pass this time, I'm sorry. Know that you are not a failure and perseverance and determination will win the day. I'm pulling for you as I am sure many others here are and wish you all much success the next go-round.

Kittencaboodle

New

Post by Kittencaboodle » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:09 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
ecafracs wrote:May I ask where you guys are getting your score breakdowns? The email included my total/MBE score, but didn't include anything about MEE or MPT.
Passers only receive their Total Score and MBE Score. Failers receive a lot more information, including how they did on each of the MBE subjects. If you tell me your Total Score and MBE Score, I can give you some statistics on them.
Hi Joe, I wrote in New York and scored 321 overall and 167.2 on my MBE. Can you give me some stats on how my score stacks up? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Kittencaboodle wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
Passers only receive their Total Score and MBE Score. Failers receive a lot more information, including how they did on each of the MBE subjects. If you tell me your Total Score and MBE Score, I can give you some statistics on them.
Hi Joe, I wrote in New York and scored 321 overall and 167.2 on my MBE. Can you give me some stats on how my score stacks up? Thanks!
Did you take Barbri? Can I ask what you scored on your midterm/refresher?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Kittencaboodle wrote:Hi Joe, I wrote in New York and scored 321 overall and 167.2 on my MBE. Can you give me some stats on how my score stacks up? Thanks!
Wow, great scores. Based on your scaled MBE score of 167.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 150/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time an MBE raw/scaled conversion was released). This means you answered about 86% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 98.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 1.6% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 167.2.

Based on a total score of 321, this means your written score was 153.8. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 153.8 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 93.8% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 6.2% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

My guess is that you were getting around 80% in MBE practice. Also, if you don't mind, can you briefly explain how you studied for the MBE (how long, what percentage of your overall study time, what questions you used, how many did you answer overall, and your overall % correct). I ask this to see if there is any commonality in study routines (such as # of practice questions).

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm

njnytaker2018 wrote:I'm begging someone who is good with math to produce a formula that I can use. I've tried several methods and cannot get my written score. THank you!
I can figure out the scale, but I need to look at a bunch of scores before I can figure it out (I am in the process of doing it now). If you would like to help (and also get a free 14 page score analysis report which will tell you your problem areas), just fill out your info here:
https://seperac.com/scoreform.php

njnytaker2018

New

Post by njnytaker2018 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
njnytaker2018 wrote:I'm begging someone who is good with math to produce a formula that I can use. I've tried several methods and cannot get my written score. THank you!
I can figure out the scale, but I need to look at a bunch of scores before I can figure it out (I am in the process of doing it now). If you would like to help (and also get a free 14 page score analysis report which will tell you your problem areas), just fill out your info here:
Hi, I submitted the form. I tried using your 2017 table and got no where near my score. Is this the same formula they used last year?
Last edited by njnytaker2018 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
Could you answer - if you receive a 132 on the Barbri midterm and a 64/100 on the Refresher, statistically what are the chances of you scoring a 150+ on the actual MBE scaled?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:43 pm

4th time taker here, finally passed NY w/ a 297.

If you did not receive the news you were hoping for this afternoon, I am SO sorry. It's literally the worst feeling in the world. I raised my UBE from a 235 to a 297 and I promise that you can too. The PM feature is disabled so unfortunately, there's no way to direct message, but please, pleaseeee deviate from traditional bar prep schedules and study the way you know how. Do as many released NCBE questions as possible. The Emmanuel S&T book & the large Kaplan book are the shit.

Best of luck to you all. And fellow counselors, YAY CONGRATS!! WE DID IT!!

Amylaw

New

Post by Amylaw » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:51 pm

kc128 wrote:4th time taker here, finally passed NY w/ a 297.

If you did not receive the news you were hoping for this afternoon, I am SO sorry. It's literally the worst feeling in the world. I raised my UBE from a 235 to a 297 and I promise that you can too. The PM feature is disabled so unfortunately, there's no way to direct message, but please, pleaseeee deviate from traditional bar prep schedules and study the way you know how. Do as many released NCBE questions as possible. The Emmanuel S&T book & the large Kaplan book are the shit.

Congrats !!!! What was the size of your attachment ???

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 pm

njnytaker2018 wrote:Hi, I submitted the form. I tried using your 2017 table and got no where near my score. Is this the same formula they used last year?
No, every exam is different. That's why I'm on here - to get scores so I can make the calculator (probably will be done tonight or tomorrow). The F18 calculator will be exact for NY F18 examinees - you will plug in your F18 scores and it will spit out the exact MEE/MPT scaling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LLJ1325

New

Post by LLJ1325 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote:Anyone that passed what was the attachment size or if you failed
It is 54Kb if you failed.
Joe - curious as to how you figure out a score breakdown. I got a total of 304 with a 146 MBE. Any idea what that would put my MEE/MPT scoring around?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:Could you answer - if you receive a 132 on the Barbri midterm and a 64/100 on the Refresher, statistically what are the chances of you scoring a 150+ on the actual MBE scaled?
About 130/175 correct would result in a 150+ MBE in February. That is about 74% correct on the exam. I prefer estimating exam MBE scores from overall practice scores, not just a couple of simulated exams. Based on overall MBE practice scores, examinees usually do a few percent higher on the actual MBE. So if you were getting 60% overall in MBE practice (assuming you did an adequate number of representative questions), I would expect you to get about 63-65% correct on the exam. But looking solely at your 64% on the Refresher would tell me you were probably looking at an MBE above 140.

njnytaker2018

New

Post by njnytaker2018 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
njnytaker2018 wrote:Hi, I submitted the form. I tried using your 2017 table and got no where near my score. Is this the same formula they used last year?
No, every exam is different. That's why I'm on here - to get scores so I can make the calculator (probably will be done tonight or tomorrow). The F18 calculator will be exact for NY F18 examinees - you will plug in your F18 scores and it will spit out the exact MEE/MPT scaling.
Ok well I didn’t it based on what I have.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:08 pm

LLJ1325 wrote:Joe - curious as to how you figure out a score breakdown. I got a total of 304 with a 146 MBE. Any idea what that would put my MEE/MPT scoring around?
What was your exact MBE score (including the decimal place)? I ask because this helps me figure out the MBE scaling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
Kittencaboodle wrote:Hi Joe, I wrote in New York and scored 321 overall and 167.2 on my MBE. Can you give me some stats on how my score stacks up? Thanks!
Wow, great scores. Based on your scaled MBE score of 167.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 150/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time an MBE raw/scaled conversion was released). This means you answered about 86% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 98.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 1.6% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 167.2.

Based on a total score of 321, this means your written score was 153.8. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 153.8 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 93.8% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 6.2% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

My guess is that you were getting around 80% in MBE practice. Also, if you don't mind, can you briefly explain how you studied for the MBE (how long, what percentage of your overall study time, what questions you used, how many did you answer overall, and your overall % correct). I ask this to see if there is any commonality in study routines (such as # of practice questions).
Joe - I don't know if you have any more time for your math wizardry, but I got a 312 with a 148.5 MBE. Where does that place me? I did Barbri (100% completion) supplemented by about 380 Adaptibar questions and maybe 200 Emmanuel Finz Multistate book questions. Ended up doing about 1,800 MBE practice questions, well over 50 practice essays and probably 7 MPT practice questions. Thanks for your insight.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:Could you answer - if you receive a 132 on the Barbri midterm and a 64/100 on the Refresher, statistically what are the chances of you scoring a 150+ on the actual MBE scaled?
About 130/175 correct would result in a 150+ MBE in February. That is about 74% correct on the exam. I prefer estimating exam MBE scores from overall practice scores, not just a couple of simulated exams. Based on overall MBE practice scores, examinees usually do a few percent higher on the actual MBE. So if you were getting 60% overall in MBE practice (assuming you did an adequate number of representative questions), I would expect you to get about 63-65% correct on the exam. But looking solely at your 64% on the Refresher would tell me you were probably looking at an MBE above 140.
How much above a 140 are you thinking?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 pm

ScurryRay wrote:Joe - I don't know if you have any more time for your math wizardry, but I got a 312 with a 148.5 MBE. Where does that place me? I did Barbri (100% completion) supplemented by about 380 Adaptibar questions and maybe 200 Emmanuel Finz Multistate book questions. Ended up doing about 1,800 MBE practice questions, well over 50 practice essays and probably 7 MPT practice questions. Thanks for your insight.
Based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct. This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly.

Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles with 2017 stats not out yet), this places you in the 77.5% percentile for the MBE. This means that 22.5% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5.

Based on a total score of 312, this means your written score was 163.5. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 163.5 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 98.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 1.9% of last year's examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

My guess is that you were about 62-65% correct overall on barbri MBE practice Qs and 70-75% correct on the Adaptibar Qs.

Btw, if someone tells me what you just told me and has at least 60% in MBE practice and graduated with an LGPA above 3.0, its basically a guaranteed pass that only you can screw up.

All_is_well!

New

Post by All_is_well! » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Congrats to those who passed. Can feel your excitement just by reading your comments. Do hope and pray I feel same way after i write in july.
To those who didn't make it this time, I'm really sorry. Your determination and perseverance will keep you going and won't let you down the next time you decide to write. For those who want to get their prep materials off their hands,will be more than happy to...for a price of course. I'm yet to start my preparation for july and hope its not too late to start. Really hoping to hear from someone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Willierhule

New

Post by Willierhule » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

How did you improve your MBE score? I need some materials/book ideas on how to improve my MBE score. I just failed by three points and its just so frustrating. The MBE is my downfall.

Willierhule

New

Post by Willierhule » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:36 pm

I failed by 3 and its just so frustrating. Is the large Kaplan book the red one? I need help with improving my MBE scores, which gets me every time.

stephcurry30

New

Post by stephcurry30 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Willierhule wrote:

I failed by 3 and its just so frustrating. Is the large Kaplan book the red one? I need help with improving my MBE scores, which gets me every time.
Hi. Have you ever used Adaptibar before? I took the California Bar Exam in July and the NY Bar Exam this passed February and passed both, and found that using Adaptibar in combination with my bar prep course really helped, especially with the MBE. If you find that your MBE scores are what are hurting you, and you're generally good with your essays and MPT, perhaps it would be worth it to look into Adaptibar this time around? I started by doing about 10 questions a day and then ramped it up to around 80-100 questions a day in my final few weeks and felt that it helped.

Keep your head up! If you only needed 3 points, you clearly are right there. Best of luck, and hope you crush July by 30 points!

Nybartaker

New

Post by Nybartaker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Joe, wondering if you can provide an analysis based on my results as well. My overall score is 317; MBE score was 146.8. I am a first-take test taker. Studied since mid-December while working full time. I did about 2000 questions, averaging around 60% - 65%. Thank you!

Congrats to others who passed the bar!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”