Admission into DC Bar by Motion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Pass302

New

Re: Admission into DC Bar by Motion

Post by Pass302 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:i submitted an application in november 2016 and was just sworn in last month, for some insight into the length
Isnt it crazy that it takes longer for an already admitted attorney to get licensed in DC then a recent grad who simply takes the test? Granted, off the top of my head I dont know the "due date" for a July 2017 exam application and when the results will be posted - but Id assume it was some time in April/May and results by November so 6 or 7 months on the high end - yet it will easily take months longer for someone who has already been vetted by another state AND demonstrated the competency requirement. Shakes head.
Think about this... I was admitted to Maryland in Dec. Applied for DC in January. Decided to take the FL bar and applied for the Florida bar in March/April. Got my certification for the Florida Bar in August and as soon as my certification letter arrives (presumably today) I'll be sworn in the Florida bar tomorrow. BUT I'm still waiting for DC. #ThanksDC

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Pass302 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:i submitted an application in november 2016 and was just sworn in last month, for some insight into the length
Isnt it crazy that it takes longer for an already admitted attorney to get licensed in DC then a recent grad who simply takes the test? Granted, off the top of my head I dont know the "due date" for a July 2017 exam application and when the results will be posted - but Id assume it was some time in April/May and results by November so 6 or 7 months on the high end - yet it will easily take months longer for someone who has already been vetted by another state AND demonstrated the competency requirement. Shakes head.
Think about this... I was admitted to Maryland in Dec. Applied for DC in January. Decided to take the FL bar and applied for the Florida bar in March/April. Got my certification for the Florida Bar in August and as soon as my certification letter arrives (presumably today) I'll be sworn in the Florida bar tomorrow. BUT I'm still waiting for DC. #ThanksDC
Yeah that is absolutely crazy. Someone who has already hit the competency requirement as outlined by their bar (133) AND who has clearly already passed at least one other state's exam + their character and fitness can take as much as DOUBLE the time of a fresh graduate doing everything for the first time?

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 pm

My understanding is that even for DC bar takers the difference in finding out you passed (Nov) and actually being sworn in could be MONTHS. Like, as late as February?

Am I wrong about that?

kingjoffrey

New

Post by kingjoffrey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Pass302 wrote:
Do you have an idea how long it took from the status that they received the C&F Report to actually being Certified?
Curious about this as well. I am also in this status: "Receipt of Character and Fitness Summary Report." Do they reach out if they have questions? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:12 pm

How soon after finding out results from bar do people attempt to waive in? (Asking as recent grad)

Months?

Less?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

diogenes89

New

Post by diogenes89 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 am

barkschool wrote:How soon after finding out results from bar do people attempt to waive in? (Asking as recent grad)

Months?

Less?
I thought you actually had to be formally admitted to your state's bar before you could apply? May be wrong.

Certainly considering this, though I have no idea when I would ever use it.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 am

ndbigdave wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
Yeah that is absolutely crazy. Someone who has already hit the competency requirement as outlined by their bar (133) AND who has clearly already passed at least one other state's exam + their character and fitness can take as much as DOUBLE the time of a fresh graduate doing everything for the first time?
Update! Received an email stating that I've been certified by the DC Court of Appeals with a swearing in date of 11/3. Took roughly 9-10 months to go through C&F.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Pass302 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
Update! Received an email stating that I've been certified by the DC Court of Appeals with a swearing in date of 11/3. Took roughly 9-10 months to go through C&F.
Pass302-

I just re-read through this thread as I noticed my file moved up a step.
I moved from Step 3 NCBE Background Investigation to Step 4 Certification Review with a little hourglass stating: Receipt of C&F Summary Report.

From re-reading some of your previous posts going from Step 4 to Step 5 can take another 2 months? Seemed like you then got an update with swearing-in date about 3 weeks after that? Am I reading your messages right? Not sure if there is anyone to harass via a phone call or email as I obviously have no clue what the NCBE report says.

Thanks for help and info.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Pass302 (and to anyone else with experience with this)

I re-read the posts and timeline, it appears YOU contacted the NCBE to figure out where you stood with their report and had heard at some point in July of this year that the report was done and was on its way to DC, however it wasunt until September 12, 2017 that your account reflected the change from step 3 to step 4 (receipt of the report). Now you have received your letter/email with the the swearing-in date of November 3 on October 4 - which means it took about 3 weeks (roughly) from your account going from step 3 to step 4.

Mine had to switched over from step 3 to step 4 over the last day or two, wonder if I should expect the same turn-around? Hearing within 3 or 4 weeks?

I understand that the DC bar will set the swearing in date, but does it coincide at all with bar-exam takers? What I mean by this is, its perhaps too late to be sworn in with the July 2017 exam takers will I have to wait extra time to be sworn in with February 2018 takers? That seems unlikely, but also means the DC bar has multiple swearing-in ceremonies throughout the year to accomodate exam takers and those waiving in.

All just curiousity and the fact that this wil be a built-in excuse to get out to DC (a city I love).

Thanks advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 am

ndbigdave wrote: All just curiousity and the fact that this wil be a built-in excuse to get out to DC (a city I love).
Why are you spending money to be barred in DC if you don't live here? Seems expensive
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:37 am

blueapple wrote:
ndbigdave wrote: All just curiousity and the fact that this wil be a built-in excuse to get out to DC (a city I love).
Why are you spending money to be barred in DC if you don't live here? Seems expensive
I don't live in DC...yet. It's a city I would move to if the right opportunity is available and being barred opens the door. I agree it is far from "cheap" as it will cost about $900 for the app + C&F, then have to fly out to DC for swearing-in (though treating that as an excuse to visit and will be a vacation).

All about being marketable, having options. I love DC and would like to live there.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:26 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
blueapple wrote:
I don't live in DC...yet. It's a city I would move to if the right opportunity is available and being barred opens the door. I agree it is far from "cheap" as it will cost about $900 for the app + C&F, then have to fly out to DC for swearing-in (though treating that as an excuse to visit and will be a vacation).

All about being marketable, having options. I love DC and would like to live there.
Gotcha. Just seems unnecessary to do it ahead of time since I'm not sure I've ever seen a job posting that requires you to be barred here, they all just say you must be eligible to waive in. But I can understand where you're coming from!
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Greyest Goose

New

Post by The Greyest Goose » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Pass302 wrote:
Do you have an idea how long it took from the status that they received the C&F Report to actually being Certified?
It's not clear but it's at least a month. They do their own review and I asked them about this and they confirmed they received my C&F but they still have to review the C&F received. Took about 5 weeks from the time they confirmed until I got my swearing in dates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:38 pm

blueapple wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
blueapple wrote:

Gotcha. Just seems unnecessary to do it ahead of time since I'm not sure I've ever seen a job posting that requires you to be barred here, they all just say you must be eligible to waive in. But I can understand where you're coming from!
It is me being perhaps overly pro-active and just wanting it in my back pocket. I actually didn't know it would take 8-10 months when I started this process, but now kinda glad I did it because the end is near. If i had a job lined up and I needed to wait on it I'd be pissed.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:43 pm

The Greyest Goose wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
It's not clear but it's at least a month. They do their own review and I asked them about this and they confirmed they received my C&F but they still have to review the C&F received. Took about 5 weeks from the time they confirmed until I got my swearing in dates.
That's not too bad I suppose. No doubt it's different for everyone, in the case of Pass302 he posted here on September 12 that his file had gone to the step following the NCBE c&f report and then on October 5 states he got the letter with a swearing-in date (which was only about 3 weeks). Mine went to the next step on either October 5 or 6 so I am hoping by the end of the month or early November I will hear.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 am

ndbigdave wrote:
The Greyest Goose wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
That's not too bad I suppose. No doubt it's different for everyone, in the case of Pass302 he posted here on September 12 that his file had gone to the step following the NCBE c&f report and then on October 5 states he got the letter with a swearing-in date (which was only about 3 weeks). Mine went to the next step on either October 5 or 6 so I am hoping by the end of the month or early November I will hear.
So, they apparently have a bunch of dates for swearing in's. I got Nov. 3rd, which I doubt is the day for the bar takers, however, as an alteranative, I also got February 2, 2018.

My timeline essentially was that after I confirmed with NCBE that they had sent my C&F Summary to DC it took from about Mid-July to Mid-September for them to change my status to C&F Summary Received. Then, October 5th I got an email with my swearing in dates.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Pass302 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
The Greyest Goose wrote:
Pass302 wrote:
So, they apparently have a bunch of dates for swearing in's. I got Nov. 3rd, which I doubt is the day for the bar takers, however, as an alteranative, I also got February 2, 2018.

My timeline essentially was that after I confirmed with NCBE that they had sent my C&F Summary to DC it took from about Mid-July to Mid-September for them to change my status to C&F Summary Received. Then, October 5th I got an email with my swearing in dates.
Got ya. I was really hanging on your posts/times relating to when each step moves along. I never communicated with my NCBE processor other than to provide some follow-up info. I routinely checked the DC website out of boredom until I saw the switch over last week. You had a 3 week gap between switching form step 4 to step 5. My hope is my timeline will be similar. No way I'll know for the November date, gotta think it will be February (assuming that is the next date available).

Do you happen to know if the DC bar specifically sets the swearing-in dates to coincide with the required class we take?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Did you all sit on "2. Pending Review" when you first submitted for a long time? I've been there for a month. I called and they weren't helpful. Hoping this doesn't hold up the NCBE background check. Payment for that cleared a week ago (3 weeks after submitting) but haven't heard from references that they received emails yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”